Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What type of wood for smoking?

Started by 3putt, July 18, 2012, 10:41:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

3putt

I am a novice who smokes brisket/pork/chicken about once or twice a month.  I love reading your stories and learning more about smoking. I use mesquite wood for smoking but would love to know what you suggest. I started learning with hickory but it always seemed to overpower the food so for the last few years I have stuck with mesquite.

cosmodrum

IMO, mesquite overpowers more than hickory. Use a fruit wood - I typically use apple.
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Quote from: Boar on July 18, 2012, 11:56:20 am
Agree with cos...any kind of fruit wood.  My favorite is cherry.

I like cherry a lot myself...especially on pork tenderloin.
Go away, batin'

DeltaBoy

Dad uses OAK with some small pecan limbs in the Brinkman.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DeWayne R

I use a mix of hickory and pecan.
When you're Black and proud it's called pride but when you're White and proud it's called racism

edmo

Hickory mostly, but will mix in some apple every now and then!

Slacker

jacobp

Pecan is good enough for Whole Hog, its good enough for me when I can get my hands on it.

3putt

+1 to all.  Thanks for the input.  Another question...if using charcoal base plus wood chunks (for smoke) how much wood do you add?  The more I read the more I think I use too much wood during smoking.  I know it depends on the type of meat and length of smoke time but I have read articles that say only to use two or three chunks of wood for the entire smoke (for ribs or brisket).  I usually load up the wood and keep it coming for the first 4-5 hours...maybe overkill on my part.

cosmodrum

Quote from: 3putt on July 18, 2012, 02:00:41 pm
+1 to all.  Thanks for the input.  Another question...if using charcoal base plus wood chunks (for smoke) how much wood do you add?  The more I read the more I think I use too much wood during smoking.  I know it depends on the type of meat and length of smoke time but I have read articles that say only to use two or three chunks of wood for the entire smoke (for ribs or brisket).  I usually load up the wood and keep it coming for the first 4-5 hours...maybe overkill on my part.

Soak your chips for about an hour in cold water. Just about a handful per application is what I do. Deciding when to quit applying smoke is debatable. I'd like Boar or Old Tusk to chime in on that.
Go away, batin'

jacobp

There's one camp that believes that the meat absorbs all the smoke flavor it needs within the first couple hours of cooking. 

In my experience at the bbq restaurant, quite a bit of wood was added at the start of the cook and then sparingly throughout the rest of the cooking process.

cosmodrum

Quote from: jacobp on July 18, 2012, 02:11:14 pm
There's one camp that believes that the meat absorbs all the smoke flavor it needs within the first couple hours of cooking. 

In my experience at the bbq restaurant, quite a bit of wood was added at the start of the cook and then sparingly throughout the rest of the cooking process.

I usually stop smoking after the bark is formed.
Go away, batin'

baitshop

I use mesquite and some apple (when I'm cooking ribs)....and I keep wet wood chips in for the first 4 hours when smoking butts and only 2 hours for ribs and brisket....

My experience with hickory is like cosmo's....of course, that may be because I keep chips in it for 4 hours.....although, I don't struggle with same issue when I use the other mentioned meats...

JOMHO
"Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them" - Ronald Reagan

Slacker

Quote from: 3putt on July 18, 2012, 02:00:41 pm

I use 3-4 chunks for the first part of the smoke. Then maintain heat with charcoal, occasionally adding a small chunk or so. On big cuts of meat, I remove the wood chunks all together for the last half of cooking. Also, I don't soak the chunks.

iluvmyslute89

You can't go wrong with kush.... Wait a minute..

Tim Harris

cosmodrum

Quote from: The Pig of destiny on July 18, 2012, 05:35:26 pm
You can't go wrong with kush.... Wait a minute..

No man...you were right.
Go away, batin'

Old Tusk

Pecan or a cherry / pecan blend.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

pigture perfect

I agree with all these guys. It's just kinda like what ever you're in the mood for. It's all good. I do not recommend Sweet Gum or Pine.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Slacker

Quote from: Boar on July 18, 2012, 10:16:10 pm
For butts and ribs, I start with three chunks of cherry...soaked maybe five minutes.  That smoke will bring the heat down and make it more controllable...it'll last about 45 minutes then watch the temp 'cause it will rise when the smoke is gone.  I'll add one more chunk for ribs at the 1:45 mark then foil them for an hour from hour 2-3.  Butts...3 more chunks about an hour before I take them off.

At Myron's cooking school, he started the fire with charcoal and lighter fluid then finished the cook with nothing but peach logs.  But there again...his Q looked good and his tips sounded great...but the taste wasn't so great.  His goal for the school was to teach how to cook and present the product to the judges.  I learned a lot but had to do some major tweaking just to make the stuff edible...I feel certain he wasn't giving winning recipes.  That's a whole other story, but I highly recommend his cooking school that he does in jan an feb.

You see what I see Shag?

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

PharmacistHog

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

rcopela

Apple for me, but I have an unlimited supply available, my brother bought a farm and it had an old apple orchard on it...

Slacker

Slacker

Quote from: rcopela on July 19, 2012, 11:53:18 am
Apple for me, but I have an unlimited supply available, my brother bought a farm and it had an old apple orchard on it...

Does your brother live in lincoln arkansas? If so, you could hook a brother up!

1873Hawg

Beef - Hickory & Pecan
Pork Ribs - Hickory
Pork Loin/Butt - Apple and/or Cherry
"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting a bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey

SteveInArk

Quote from: Slacker on July 20, 2012, 11:01:27 am

They sure got lots of dead/broken trees out in Lincoln.  The ice storms a few years ago devastated many orchards that I saw.  You'd think some would be harvesting the wood and selling it to deserving grillers.
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

Slacker

Quote from: SteveInArk on July 21, 2012, 09:27:51 am
They sure got lots of dead/broken trees out in Lincoln.  The ice storms a few years ago devastated many orchards that I saw.  You'd think some would be harvesting the wood and selling it to deserving grillers.

There is a rumor going around that somebody from Texas bought it. Was in the process of clearing out the trees for this purpose. In the process of clearing, they found an gigantic illegal chemical dump in the orchard. Basically a whole bunch of 55 gallon drums of pesticide buried in the ground. The cost of clean up stopped the project. And I've heard a local now owns it.

pigture perfect

I loved getting real Cider from lincoln every year. I hate it too, it that's true about the chemicals.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

colbs

I usually use a mix of hickory and apple.  Sometimes I will use one or the other as well.  Depends what kind of mood I'm in.

Old Tusk

Scored a cberry tree last weemend along with a white oak. The Ole Hickory will be verging. Those two for awhile
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

bolo

Quote from: Shag66 on July 21, 2012, 01:15:12 pm
damn...  didn't know about the pesticides..

Why would they do that?  all the people that ate fruit off that farm for years and they bury crap like that there?  Idiots...
brian reed has the lease
R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ
2023 March Maddest Champion with a little help from my friends

rcopela

Quote from: Slacker on July 20, 2012, 11:01:27 am
Sorry for replying so late, just now read this, he lives in Colcord Ok

Murr

Pecan all the way.  Love it on ribs.

Trying to get the wife to use Hickory or Oak, but she hates them.

I haven't had much luck with apple.

Not sure what to cook with cherry; it darkens every thing and leaves too much of a bitter sweet taste on things.

bolo

pecan or cherry are the best, hell ive used elm, any hard wood will work
R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ
2023 March Maddest Champion with a little help from my friends

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Boar on July 18, 2012, 10:16:10 pm
For butts and ribs, I start with three chunks of cherry...soaked maybe five minutes.  That smoke will bring the heat down and make it more controllable...it'll last about 45 minutes then watch the temp 'cause it will rise when the smoke is gone.  I'll add one more chunk for ribs at the 1:45 mark then foil them for an hour from hour 2-3.  Butts...3 more chunks about an hour before I take them off.

At Myron's cooking school, he started the fire with charcoal and lighter fluid then finished the cook with nothing but peach logs.  But there again...his Q looked good and his tips sounded great...but the taste wasn't so great.  His goal for the school was to teach how to cook and present the product to the judges.  I learned a lot but had to do some major tweaking just to make the stuff edible...I feel certain he wasn't giving winning recipes.  That's a whole other story, but I highly recommend his cooking school that he does in jan an feb.
Yep in a interview on the Food Network he said he only taught you how to make it look good not EAT GOOD.
I have not been to his resturant but I hear it as good as Craigs, Shaddens or Armstrongs.

VBRazorback

what is the best woods to use for ham? ive got plenty of hickory but would you guys add a fruit wood? if so which one? never thought about peach wood.

Slacker

VBRazorback

Quote from: Slacker on October 26, 2012, 11:17:32 am
Almond.

now where the f&#k am i supposed to get almond wood? never heard of anyone using almond wood.

cosmodrum

Quote from: VBRazorback on October 26, 2012, 12:06:18 pm
now where the f&#k am i supposed to get almond wood? never heard of anyone using almond wood.

A f^&*ing almond tree?
Go away, batin'

PharmacistHog

I saw somebody on TV throwing hickory nuts on the coals for smoke.  Anybody ever done that?  (and just FYI VBRazorback, you'll find those under a f^&*ing hickory tree)
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Old Tusk

I have used pecan shells an pecans. Not sure it made a big difference. Tbe people I know  who tried hicory nuts found tbem to be somewhat fire proof.

Slacker

ImHogginIt

If you f#c&er$ don't stop with the profanity the admins are gonna merge this forum into general sports too  :-[

VBRazorback

Quote from: PharmacistHog on October 26, 2012, 05:05:48 pm
I saw somebody on TV throwing hickory nuts on the coals for smoke.  Anybody ever done that?  (and just FYI VBRazorback, you'll find those under a f^&*ing hickory tree)

I needed a good laugh this morning. Got plenty of hickory nuts in the yard. Hate those things. 

VBRazorback

Got some almond wood coming and also got some orange wood on the way. Worth a try on the orange.

roy quapaw

Murr

Quote from: PharmacistHog on October 26, 2012, 05:05:48 pm

Where do I find f^&*ing beer nuts?

PharmacistHog