Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tried to destroy my BGE this morning

Started by 1873Hawg, May 28, 2012, 09:38:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

1873Hawg

If you are not an egghead you probably will not care about my story, and if you are an egghead you may not care either, but here it goes.

Chalk one up to being hungover and not paying attention. I got up this morning about 7 and fired the XL BGE up (top damper off and bottom damper wide open) with my platesetter in it  so I can smoke some ribs today. I go back in the house and start getting things ready to go and completely forget to go back out and check the temp for about 30 minutes (it usually gets to about 600 in 10-12 minutes). Well when I think about it I run out there, and the temp gauge is wrapped around 1 full time and is setting on 250. No real way to tell what the temp was but the gauge runs up to 800 and there is space for about another 100 degrees before the 0 mark so I would guess I was at somewhere over 1000.

That said, my upper and middle ring are both cracked now; the platesetter broke; and I had to ditch that batch of charcoal because the aluminum foil I had wrapped over the plate setter had melted off the bottom side down into the charcoal. Luckily I do not see any cracks in the body and the cracks in the rings are not going to hurt anything.

Since my BGE dealer is closed today I took an old piece of stainless steel grate and cut it so it would fit under the platesetter to hold it in place. If it works well I may just save myself 70 bucks and not buy another platesetter for a while.

The big boy is fired back up, and I am setting outside watching it this time.

Today's menu at our house FYI:

Country style ribs: cut about an inch and half thick each; seasoned with, sea salt, meat tenderizer, garlic powder, and parsley; each forked 100 times on each side once the seasoning was on.

Cowboy Beans: Showboat pork and beans base (6 cans); 2 lbs of browned ground beef; 1.5 lbs of bacon cooked crispy and chopped; 1.5 bell peppers chopped; 1 red onion chopped; 1/2 bottle Briar Rabbit Blackstrap; salt and pepper to taste

Potato Salad (not going to go through the recipe)

Cole Slaw Salad (not going to go through the recipe)

Roasted Corn on the Cob

French Bread with plenty of garlic butter

Strawberry cake with ice cream

Pina Coladas/margaritas for the women folk

Rum and coke/beer for the guys

Anyway off to get started again... hope you all have a great Memorial Day and stay safe!
"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting a bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey

Slacker

1000 degrees!  WOW! Surprised that puppy didn't bust.

Boarcephus

Never heard of one getting that hot before.  I wasn't sure you could crack one without dropping it but you may have proven you can't. 

Just fired mine up and believe I'll go check it.   Doing NY strips, lobster tail, shrimp with potato salad I'd made yesterday. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

Wow 1000 degrees that like a kiln you bake pottery in.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Old Tusk

Are you saying you have to be sober to operate a BGE? That is a very serious problem for a smoker.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

Boarcephus

Quote from: Shag66 on May 30, 2012, 04:49:09 pm
If that were true I'd lose my license to Egg...

;)

80 proof whiskey and 700 degree temps are a bad combination.  The couple times I've burnt myself I was already halfway lit.  ;)
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

Drink only after your done grilling is the rule I grew up with.  Neighbor burned down his house when I was a kid drinking and using a Weber.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

NorthshoreBoar

Never got mine above 700 and that was on accident (left it wide open trying to get the heat back up after adding wet hickory chips).  Didn't realize it could go up to nearly 1,000 degrees. I've decided to not go in the house until the temp is set from now on.  Too hard to get the temp back down without shutting all the vents and getting that ashy smell.
A good man can live a lie for only so long before he becomes just a man. - Jason Whitlock