Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Grill/Smoker Choices (updated)

Started by 1873Hawg, June 20, 2011, 12:03:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

Those are better prices than I have seen in DFW for the Large Egg.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jacobp

Quote from: Shag66 on May 07, 2012, 11:21:44 am
That is a GREAT price jacob!

Don't scare of the XL.  I love my Large, but I really wish I had an XL at times..
I'll probably end up with the XL.  Its not a crazy amount more than the large and I like to have plenty of cooking space (again RIP Weber Ranch kettle). Talking to him Saturday he told me they'd probably have a price drop somewhere around July or August, so that's when I plan on pulling the trigger.  REALLY digging that finished wood table.

DeltaBoy

Good Luck and I have seen the Weber Ranch in action and share your pain in it's loss.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Boarcephus

Quote from: jacobp on May 07, 2012, 08:59:57 am
matter of fact, I think the guy is going to hook me up with a "fellow hog fan living in coonass country" discount.  basically offered me everything seen in this picture for $1100.

That, my man, is a great deal!  I paid more than that for not all the stuff.

Shag, I think we're about to welcome a new member to the egg family. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Shag66 on May 07, 2012, 05:02:09 pm
If you aren't using that Mini I'm gonna steal that thing from you!  LOL

Whatcha gonna get?  Another Large?

No my man, talking about jacobp getting a new one.

I've yet to use the mini egg.  I've got a little stand I can set that on and that would be great for filets or lobsters.  Need to break it in.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

I going to work hard on mastering my Weber before I can get the wife to let me spend that much on a Egg.

jacobp

Yeah, I thought my wife would be a pretty tough sell but she was all for it.  Basically since I do all the cooking, she takes a "whatever you need" approach to my kitchen stuff.  And she's offered to pay for half of it as a 1st anniversary present.  So between now and october 22, the Egg will be mine.

Will be tough to part with my Weber kettle, though.  That 22" sucker has lasted me 10 years now and is still going strong.

DeltaBoy

Most of the Egg users I know personally down here use the Weber for the weekday cooking and the Egg for the Weekends.

HawgWild

May 08, 2012, 02:31:21 pm #58 Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 03:25:41 pm by HawgWild
I've got a friend that swears by their Portable Kitchen. Arkansas Times has an article on them ---> http://www.arktimes.com/arkansas/portable-kitchen-grills-built-for-the-long-smoke/Content?oid=2203509

DeltaBoy

Lanny has and loves his PK and will be excited to see they are coming out with a bigger one.

jacobp

In my normal size kettle I usually could get by with about 5-10 cooks with a bag of charcoal, depending on what I was cooking.  Takes less than most folks need, but most people with a kettle just dump charcoal in like mad and wonder why the burgers they cook are charred all the way through.  1 charcoal chimney full of Kingsford is about a 6th of the big bag and that's plenty to cook anything.  People forget they don't have to cover the entire bottom surface with coals.

When I buy the Egg the Weber is getting retired.  I'll probably give it to my wife's grandpa to take out to their camp on Saline Lake.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Shag66 on May 08, 2012, 10:55:27 pm
Why would they do that?

The Egg uses less fuel, comes to temp quicker, and cooks the meat better...

I love Weber Kettles and use them often when we take a grill with us, but there is no reason to use it when I have an Egg sitting there. 

and I probably saved a couple hundred in charcoal each season by switching to the Egg.  I can cook for months on one big bag of lump.  I was using a bag of Kingsford every time I lit the WSM and I'd use 1/2 a bag in a kettle...

They do burgers and dogs and a few chicken breast and said it seemed like a waste of time to fire up the Egg and 30 minutes later shut it down.
Since I don't own a Egg and just repented and went back to Charcoal this past Christmas that is all I know about it Shagg.
So Buds in FW are like you and have a Med sized Egg that they seem to keep going all the time from Breakfast pizza to steaks for supper but their Wifes are the ones cooking on it for Breakfast and Lunch.
They have that temp guage blower thing and swear it up and going within 10-15 minutes tops.

jacobp

Seems like it would take more time to get the Weber to temp and cook then shut it down than it would the BGE.  Unless you're talking about a Weber gas grill, and that's a completely different animal.

HawgWild

Quote from: jacobp on May 09, 2012, 10:40:46 am
Seems like it would take more time to get the Weber to temp and cook then shut it down than it would the BGE.  Unless you're talking about a Weber gas grill, and that's a completely different animal.

That's how I took his comment, that they were using their Weber gas grills during the week. It wouldn't make sense otherwise.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: jacobp on May 09, 2012, 10:40:46 am

Hey that is what they say they do.  I am like you if a BGE is that fast and conserves fuel I would take the Weber to that Lake or give to some poor gas griller.

Boarcephus

The only advantage i see of the Webber over the egg is you can take the Webber with you about anywhere you go.  The Egg on the other hand is one heavy mother.

jacobp

I have a gas grill, a damn nice Jenn Air model that rachel's step dad gave me.  Haven't taken the cover off it in a year.  If I'm going to grill I do it with fire.  usually I can get home from work, light up the charcoal chimney, then go inside and prep and it'll be ready to cook on by the time I'm done. 

Not gonna lie though, a built in gas grill that is tied into my natural gas line will probably eventually happen.  But I'd use it more like an oven that I would a grill.

DeltaBoy

Folks in the Delta used to have tons of patio kitchens with those Jen-Air Gas Grills and even Stoves.  They were hooked up to LP gas.
It will spoil you when you got that type of set up.

HawgWild

Quote from: jacobp on May 09, 2012, 02:54:34 pm
INot gonna lie though, a built in gas grill that is tied into my natural gas line will probably eventually happen.  But I'd use it more like an oven that I would a grill.

That's how I use my Weber Summit most of the time. Last night I baked a chicken pot pie in it. The night before, Lasagna. Never use the indoor oven during A/C season.

Boarcephus

Quote from: jacobp on May 09, 2012, 02:54:34 pm
Not gonna lie though, a built in gas grill that is tied into my natural gas line will probably eventually happen.  But I'd use it more like an oven that I would a grill.

Had one before I bought the egg and I will say this, you can't beat them for convenience.  You're never out of gas unless you don't pay the bill and you never run out of gas halfway through the cooking like I've had happen with propane.  What you are giving up for the convenience is the flavor you get from real, bulk charcoal and you'll miss it cooking with natural gas. 

BR

Let's see some Photos of those Grill's & Smokers..    PLUS what do you have, Why do you like it..
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

BR

Some of Mine... I'll get photos of the others..
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

ImHogginIt

Quote from: BR on October 11, 2019, 04:25:42 pm
Let's see some Photos of those Grill's & Smokers..    PLUS what do you have, Why do you like it..

22 inch Weber Smokey Mountain. I did not want to spend a ton on a smoker and I did not want anything with electrical parts to be replaced. WSM's get rave reviews and many BBQ contestants use them. Quality BBQ at a reasonable price.