Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recieved My First and Very Own Grill

Started by airforcehog42, September 10, 2010, 04:12:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

airforcehog42

September 10, 2010, 04:12:34 pm Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 05:20:33 pm by airforcehog42
Well,

As some of you may know, I just returned home from the middle east recently, and at 22 years of age, my dad surprised me with my very first gas grill as my welcome home gift. Its a BBQ Grillware 3 Burner LP Gas Grill with a warming rack, side burner, and external temp gauge.

I am excited to become the king of the back porch, and give my wife a break from making dinner, but what excites me most is making my house the official tailgate central for all of my sports fanatic friends on the weekends.

I guess my question is does anyone have any grilling websites or tips/recipes for a greenhorn such as myself to become "learned" on this hobby. I want to learn everything from perfect ribs to perfect steaks and everything in between.

thanks everyone!
AFH

Shag66

www.bbq-brethren.com - best site for all things smoked

www.virtualweberbullet.com - The Weber Smoker site.  Forums are great and have great recipes

www.biggreenegg.com - Big Green Egg grill and smoker site.  Forums and recipes are great

http://thebbqgrail.com/   - One of my favorite blogs...   

http://noexcusesbbq.com/  - another good blog...

http://blog.smokeindaeye.com/  - another good blog...  Clint is the man.

http://livefireonline.com/  - and another..  Curt's blog...  really good...

http://www.nibblemethis.com/ - and another...

http://rickstropicaldelight.com/  - THE BEST BBQ PICS EVER...  Rick is my friggin hero when it comes to BBQ and Photography...

If you need more to check out let me know...

jdelo77

Its a good day when a man receives his first grill..

airforcehog42

Thank You

i plan on getting decent with this grill all season long, and when next season comes around getting me a cheap smoker and going crazy with both. I always liked eating off the grill, but something about this one being mine has gotten me hooked on the sweet smell of a high quality beef sizzling on the grill.

My grill has three burners, and its hard for me to find the right heat combination as well as food placement to get the right cooking temp so as to not burn them to quickly nor let them not cook fast enough. Mainly chicken is the hardest to get perfect, but by seasons end i should be getting close to "elite" status. :) Not....

Thanks for all the replies so far everyone!

AFHog

SteveInArk

Quote from: airforcehog42 on September 11, 2010, 04:09:34 pm
Thank You

i plan on getting decent with this grill all season long, and when next season comes around getting me a cheap smoker and going crazy with both. I always liked eating off the grill, but something about this one being mine has gotten me hooked on the sweet smell of a high quality beef sizzling on the grill.

My grill has three burners, and its hard for me to find the right heat combination as well as food placement to get the right cooking temp so as to not burn them to quickly nor let them not cook fast enough. Mainly chicken is the hardest to get perfect, but by seasons end i should be getting close to "elite" status. :) Not....

Thanks for all the replies so far everyone!

AFHog

The hot and cold spots on your grill will become evident to you quickly, just a few cookouts.  First time in high winds, mentally note the differences.  On a new grill, I "baby" the meat the first few times (by checking and turning too often), so I can rotate the pieces on/off those hot spots before burning. 

But like Tallahassee said, very low burner setting will be the rule.  What seems too low initially will be a great setting after your meat starts cooking well and the interior starts to heat.  I may set the burners up towards MEIDUM at the start (to get good marks and get the meat going) ... but it doesn't take very long till it needs to be turned down to LOW.  Then sit back, relax, and enjoy that cold beer (or drink of choice)!
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

Shag66

If you have a 3 burner grill try and learn how to turn off a burner and cook indirect.  It will help you tremendously.

airforcehog42

thanks for the tips, i think tonight im gonna try turning the two outside burners on medium, set the middle one all the way to low, and set the meat all in the middle and see how it cooks. Its been tough trying to find that perfect medium, but im almost there!

Also, getting a late start and having to grill while the hog game on while intoxicated is a very bad idea, as i am not one to miss plays and got easily sidetracked by the frustrating performance of last nights game. Chicken Jerky, its whats for dinner  ;)

Shag66

Quote from: airforcehog42 on September 12, 2010, 11:26:24 am
thanks for the tips, i think tonight im gonna try turning the two outside burners on medium, set the middle one all the way to low, and set the meat all in the middle and see how it cooks. Its been tough trying to find that perfect medium, but im almost there!

Also, getting a late start and having to grill while the hog game on while intoxicated is a very bad idea, as i am not one to miss plays and got easily sidetracked by the frustrating performance of last nights game. Chicken Jerky, its whats for dinner  ;)

Instead of leaving the middle on low, turn it off...  The heat won't get away from you that way...  If you need to put some heat to it at the end then you can crank it back up...

J. Green

I've got that grill... once I preheat I turn all but one outside burner off.... cook my meat on indirect heat 250-300 until done

little pigee

It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

Shag66

airforcehog42

September 13, 2010, 04:11:27 pm #11 Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 04:15:49 pm by airforcehog42
those links are awesome, i just need to buy a cheap smoker or something one day and try it out, or anything that i can rig to smoke for really really cheap

airforcehog42

Anyone have any ideas on a way for me to try out smoking for really cheap?

airforcehog42

i was looking at this one but i know absolutely nothing about smoking :/. I grew up on gas, probably missed out on a lot.

http://www.grillsdirect.com/charcoal-grills/grills-with-carts/chargrillerpatioprocharcoalsmokergrill.cfm

SteveInArk

Quote from: airforcehog42 on September 13, 2010, 05:04:16 pm
i was looking at this one but i know absolutely nothing about smoking :/. I grew up on gas, probably missed out on a lot.

http://www.grillsdirect.com/charcoal-grills/grills-with-carts/chargrillerpatioprocharcoalsmokergrill.cfm

DISCLAIMER:  Of course there are better, more expensive, etc.

But a low-end Brinkman electric smoker is easy, cheap, and you only need to keep a bag of hardwood "chunks" (hickory, etc.) around.  No gas, no charcoal.  Everything is there to begin smoking meat, for almost no investment.  Loading it up the first time, on all the racks, likely the meat will cost more than the smoker.  ;)

I would start there, IMHO.  If you love the results, move up when the wallet allows.
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

Shag66

Quote from: SteveInArk on September 13, 2010, 05:34:06 pm
DISCLAIMER:  Of course there are better, more expensive, etc.

But a low-end Brinkman electric smoker is easy, cheap, and you only need to keep a bag of hardwood "chunks" (hickory, etc.) around.  No gas, no charcoal.  Everything is there to begin smoking meat, for almost no investment.  Loading it up the first time, on all the racks, likely the meat will cost more than the smoker.  ;)

I would start there, IMHO.  If you love the results, move up when the wallet allows.

Steve is right...  You can get a ECB (El Cheapo Brinkman) for cheap and it WILL work...  You can look on bbq-brethren for threads about how to mod the ECB to make it work better.

Best bet is to keep an eye on craigs list.  You can find some really great deals on there... 

another VERY good option is to get a Weber Grill and learn how to set it up to smoke and do indirect... 

Old Tusk

A  tip on beef......Age it. Get a whole tenderloin or ribeye in the cryovac. Put it in the back of the frig for 30 days. Take it out and slice it into steaks. Vaccum pack and freeze the ones you are not going to cook then.  Aging is also essential in cooking great brisket. Everyone will go nuts over your steaks.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

Shag66

Quote from: Old Tusk on September 13, 2010, 06:46:11 pm
A  tip on beef......Age it. Get a whole tenderloin or ribeye in the cryovac. Put it in the back of the frig for 30 days. Take it out and slice it into steaks. Vaccum pack and freeze the ones you are not going to cook then.  Aging is also essential in cooking great brisket. Everyone will go nuts over your steaks.

Yup...  good tip...  Alton Brown had a show on aging steaks that was pretty cool...

You age your brisket too?  Now I am learning from the pro!  ;)

Old Tusk

Try the brisket. It will probably finish quicker that an unaged brisket. Very few competition cookers I know don't age their briskets.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

kingofdequeen

my dad bought me a grill after my paternity test turned up neg. on maury.

airforcehog42

Quote from: kingofdequeen on September 13, 2010, 08:44:24 pm
my dad bought me a grill after my paternity test turned up neg. on maury.

You stay classy...

cosmodrum

Quote from: Old Tusk on September 13, 2010, 06:46:11 pm

If you can dry age...that's where it's at.
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Check out this site and order the BBQ Bible. Steve Raichlen is awesome. Incredible recipes from all over the world, with great tips and techniques. I've almost worn mine out over the last 7-8 years.

http://www.barbecuebible.com/
Go away, batin'

kingofdequeen

Quote from: airforcehog42 on September 14, 2010, 10:36:24 am
You stay classy...

nothing says "class" like platinum w/ crest stains.

my grill tip?  indirect heat, baby.  ensures better smoking, and takes a lot longer, thereby exponentially increasing the time available to swill beers.

airforcehog42

Went out and bought bbq bible today as well as his book "how to grill" which really helped me with all the different cuts of meat and basics of grilling. Thanks for the advice.

SteveInArk

Quote from: airforcehog42 on September 15, 2010, 09:04:42 pm
Went out and bought bbq bible today as well as his book "how to grill" which really helped me with all the different cuts of meat and basics of grilling. Thanks for the advice.

Raichlen is quite good (IMO), and enjoy watching his TV show.  Have not read the book, but would think it will be a real help.

As an aside, I can't watch him though, without thinking he and Scott McKenzie was separated at birth.  The older McKenzie and Raichlen look just alike.  Maybe it's the sunglasses!
:)

Old Tusk

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 14, 2010, 10:39:53 am
If you can dry age...that's where it's at.
Unfortunately, dry aging requires very precise temp and humidity control. Most of us don't have the controlled enviroment to do it. Sure wish I did....

Old Tusk

When you get a smoker, I would recommend "smoke and Spice" by Jamison and "Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ Sauses". Paul's book is great for learning to make your own rubs and sauses.

I'm heading down to Texas tomorrow to help Paul with a BBQ class. If you guys have any questions you want me to run by him I would be happy too. He is pretty amasing when it comes to sauses and rubs.

cosmodrum

September 16, 2010, 09:11:58 am #28 Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 09:17:18 am by cosmodrum
Quote from: airforcehog42 on September 15, 2010, 09:04:42 pm

You're gonna LOVE that book. I'm actually using a technique out of it tonight. Grilled provalone. That HAS to be awesome.
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Quote from: Old Tusk on September 16, 2010, 07:39:22 am
Unfortunately, dry aging requires very precise temp and humidity control. Most of us don't have the controlled enviroment to do it. Sure wish I did....

I'm thinking about trying it. I'll clean out my beer fridge and figure out what temp it should be. I think you can put a pan of water in the fridge along with some salt. You also have to wrap the meat (rib roast in my case) in cheese cloth or something similar and change it frequently. But yeah, it scares me to try it because I don't want to ruin an expensive cut of beef.
Go away, batin'

airforcehog42

September 16, 2010, 11:45:04 am #30 Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 11:50:58 am by airforcehog42
Here are my second batch of steaks ever in my life, gotta get good for our SEC championship party  ;)

That BBQ book made a 1000% improvement from  my first steaks according to the wife. Better taste, and first time trying to get good markings. Beef, its what "was" for dinner...

Shag66

Quote from: airforcehog42 on September 16, 2010, 11:45:04 am
Here are my second batch of steaks ever in my life, gotta get good for our SEC championship party  ;)

That BBQ book made a 1000% improvement from  my first steaks according to the wife. Better taste, and first time trying to get good markings. Beef, its what "was" for dinner...

I'd hit it!  Looks good!

airforcehog42

Thanks

Hopefully they will only get better, as the saturdays pass.

cosmodrum

Quote from: airforcehog42 on September 16, 2010, 11:45:04 am

Nice!

My next recommendation is the Honey Sesame Shrimp. One of my favorite recipes in the book.
Go away, batin'

Old Tusk

September 16, 2010, 03:35:12 pm #34 Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 03:42:50 pm by Old Tusk
Quote from: cosmodrum on September 16, 2010, 09:14:59 am
I'm thinking about trying it. I'll clean out my beer fridge and figure out what temp it should be. I think you can put a pan of water in the fridge along with some salt. You also have to wrap the meat (rib roast in my case) in cheese cloth or something similar and change it frequently. But yeah, it scares me to try it because I don't want to ruin an expensive cut of beef.

Can't wait to hear  how it works out.... The temp must be above 32  and below 40.

Old Tusk

Quote from: airforcehog42 on September 16, 2010, 12:03:28 pm
Thanks

Hopefully they will only get better, as the saturdays pass.

Get some wood flavor pellets. The package will have instructions on making a foil pouch to put them in. Throw the pouch on the fire. It really steps up the smoke flavor of gas grill products. Since the cook times are short for steak and chops, you can use some stout woods. It is fun to experiment with different wood flavors.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Old Tusk on September 16, 2010, 03:50:12 pm
Get some wood flavor pellets. The package will have instructions on making a foil pouch to put them in. Throw the pouch on the fire. It really steps up the smoke flavor of gas grill products. Since the cook times are short for steak and chops, you can use some stout woods. It is fun to experiment with different wood flavors.

I think you can do this with soaked wood chips as well. In fact, Raichlen's BBQ bible covers that technique, I believe.
Go away, batin'

PharmacistHog

raichlen also has a book call "how to grill: complete illustrated book of barbecue techniques".  Has lots of pics and step by step instructions.  Great book!
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

airforcehog42

Quote from: PharmacistHog on September 17, 2010, 03:40:06 pm
raichlen also has a book call "how to grill: complete illustrated book of barbecue techniques".  Has lots of pics and step by step instructions.  Great book!

I actually grilled those "Garlic Herb Butter Burgers" from the "how to grill" book and they were hands down the juiciest burgers ive ever made. It's amazing how learning a few small things can make such a big difference

Shag66

Quote from: airforcehog42 on September 18, 2010, 12:13:07 am
I actually grilled those "Garlic Herb Butter Burgers" from the "how to grill" book and they were hands down the juiciest burgers ive ever made. It's amazing how learning a few small things can make such a big difference

You are now hooked...  Enjoy it!  and start a good exercise program!

Shag66

http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/

Here is another of my favorite BBQ Blogs that I forgot to put on the list!

Shag66

Quote from: tallahasseehog on September 21, 2010, 06:50:54 pm
That is a great sight.

Yup...  I met John on the bbq-brethren site and he has always impressed...  Always resy to help when people need info too...

PatioDaddio

Quote from: tallahasseehog on September 21, 2010, 06:50:54 pm
That is a great sight.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Feel free to e-mail with any questions. My contact info is on the blog.

John
Patio Daddio BBQ
Boise, Idaho