Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

bow hunting question

Started by alaskanstorm, November 30, 2010, 10:13:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

alaskanstorm

Im just bought my first bow and was wondering what distance most of you sight the top pin at.  My sight has 5 pins.  thanks

MF

I'd remove all but two of them and sight one in at 15 yards and one at 30 yards.  You shouldn't shoot much further than that any way especially if you are just starting off.
"Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail; without it nothing can succeed." ~ Abraham Lincoln

clifflee4mvp

It Depends on the bow and it's speed. I hear a lot of people that say they have 10, 20, and 30 yard pins on a 3 pin sight. My top pin is good from 10-20 and my next pin is real close under it for 25-30. My third pin is 35 but I will only use it if I have to. Got two more pins that are bottomed out and not sighted in.
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

SultanofSwine

I shoot a 3 pin sight and it is 20,30 and 40. If you are treestand hunting in AR, it is not likely you will have many good opportunities over 40 yards. Out west or in really open areas I would add 50 and 60. But I firmly believe in practicing beyond what you consider you max range. In other words if you are going to set a 30 yard max shot range, practice out to 40 and 50. It will make 30 and in that much easier to shoot.

alaskanstorm

clutch

there is absolutely no point in having a pin under 20 yards. Your 20 yard pin will shoot dead on at 10. With the speed of most bows now days, I know a lot of people that are shooting 1 pin up to 25-30 yards. I have a 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 pin on my bow. I don't have many opportunities to shoot beyond 40 yards in most of my stands, but I do have a few spots that I could use the 60 if needed. I practice my 60 just as much as I do my 20 and feel comfortable enough that if the time comes, I will be deadly with it.

Arkapigdiesel

Quote from: SultanofSwine on November 30, 2010, 11:53:17 am
I shoot a 3 pin sight and it is 20,30 and 40. If you are treestand hunting in AR, it is not likely you will have many good opportunities over 40 yards. Out west or in really open areas I would add 50 and 60. But I firmly believe in practicing beyond what you consider you max range. In other words if you are going to set a 30 yard max shot range, practice out to 40 and 50. It will make 30 and in that much easier to shoot.
Wise words.  First pin at 20, then go in 10 yard increments.  I shoot a single pin slider, so that doesn't pertain to me.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

gutshot

I have one pin sighted in dead-on at about 18 steps on flat ground.  It stays true out to about 30 and I don't shoot beyond that.  90 percent of the deer I shoot are 10-15 steps and from 25-30 feet up a tree. I took me several misses over-the-back to learn that it shoots higher from the tree than it does on flat ground.  I generally put the pin right where the brown hair meets the white hair and let it fly. 

gotyacovered

i have a 5 pin sight that is sighted in out to 72 yds. i bought it used from a bowtech pro staffer that hunted sheep and elk... i probably would never have sighted it in out to that yardage, mainly b/c the time it would take... however, i have had a great time experimenting with heavier arrows/setups. my first pin is 30 yds with my lightest arrow setup....when i go to Kansas i will shoot out to 58 yds.

here is what i would do... sight in the first 2 pins to your desired yardages, then lock in the rest of the pins and find out what yardages they are sighted in at... harder to remember b/c the first pin is say 20, second is 30 third will be 38 4th will be 44 and 5th 52... but it will save you lots of time.
You are what you tolerate.

clutch

72? 58? Those are odd numbers to sight in at. What did you do drop the last one as low as it will got and see the yardage it would shoot?

Quote from: Arkapigdiesel on November 30, 2010, 03:21:05 pm
Wise words.  First pin at 20, then go in 10 yard increments.  I shoot a single pin slider, so that doesn't pertain to me.

I have a single pin sight that I throw on for 3D shoots and love it. I used to use it deer hunting, but got tired of having to worry about sliding it before I shot a deer. Had one come by too fast for me to adjust one time and it ruined me from using it hunting lol.

Albert Einswine

I recommend a recurve.  Practice from 5 to 15 yards until you're proficient and then learn to make your stand sets so that you're right on top of them when they come in.  Who needs pins, kisser buttons and releases?  Enjoy! :)
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

grayhawg

I shoot a Trophy Ridge 3 pin sight, with the pin bases touching each other the 1st pin 20 yards, second pin 32 yards and 3rd pin 43 yards.

gotyacovered

Quote from: clutch on November 30, 2010, 05:06:58 pm
72? 58? Those are odd numbers to sight in at. What did you do drop the last one as low as it will got and see the yardage it would shoot?

man, i bought this bow from a bowtech staffer and it was already sighted in at those yardages. it is so fast. it is also so "on" that i havent tried to change it. on the first 3 (maybe 4) pins they cant get any closer so i would imagine that is part of it. 350 maximas with a 100 grain rage i can drive nails out to 50 yards, past that my group size doubles. which is why next year (this summer) i am probably going to go from 100gr broadhead (401 gr setup) to 125 broadhead (426)

for the record the last pin isnt dropped all the way down.

i finally had to make a little sticker that has the yardages ON THE BOW so i dont forget while in hunting!!!

95_alum

December 01, 2010, 08:46:46 am #14 Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 01:38:41 pm by 95_alum
S
Quote from: twistitup on November 30, 2010, 03:22:46 pm
First pin 20 for me

Same here. Top pin at 20. Bottom pin at 40.

clutch

Quote from: gotyacovered on December 01, 2010, 08:25:39 am
man, i bought this bow from a bowtech staffer and it was already sighted in at those yardages. it is so fast. it is also so "on" that i havent tried to change it. on the first 3 (maybe 4) pins they cant get any closer so i would imagine that is part of it. 350 maximas with a 100 grain rage i can drive nails out to 50 yards, past that my group size doubles. which is why next year (this summer) i am probably going to go from 100gr broadhead (401 gr setup) to 125 broadhead (426)

for the record the last pin isnt dropped all the way down.

i finally had to make a little sticker that has the yardages ON THE BOW so i dont forget while in hunting!!!

Hmmmm. I would like to know his reasoning behind that. Just seems odd to me that somebody would sight their bow in at 72 yds lol.

gotyacovered

Quote from: clutch on December 01, 2010, 11:07:45 am
Hmmmm. I would like to know his reasoning behind that. Just seems odd to me that somebody would sight their bow in at 72 yds lol.

if you sight it in and never switch gear... than it never would, pop a 400 gr arrow and a 125 gr broadhead and see what it does to your yardages... hate to tell ya but it wont be even yardages. you would have to re-sight the bow in to get them even.

with his elk setup he shot a lot heavier arrow (FMJ i think is 401 with a 125 broadhead) and it may have been 25, 35, 45, 55, 65. the other set up he used maxiams (350 and a 100 broad head). it came with 3 dozen diff arrows and 9 (3 sets) of diff broad heads and charts for the yardages for each setup. i chose to use the lightest setup and didnt want to adjust the pins solely for having even yardages. other than having to explain it to people... its not really a big deal.

clutch

Quote from: gotyacovered on December 01, 2010, 12:51:51 pm
if you sight it in and never switch gear... than it never would, pop a 400 gr arrow and a 125 gr broadhead and see what it does to your yardages... hate to tell ya but it wont be even yardages. you would have to re-sight the bow in to get them even.

with his elk setup he shot a lot heavier arrow (FMJ i think is 401 with a 125 broadhead) and it may have been 25, 35, 45, 55, 65. the other set up he used maxiams (350 and a 100 broad head). it came with 3 dozen diff arrows and 9 (3 sets) of diff broad heads and charts for the yardages for each setup. i chose to use the lightest setup and didnt want to adjust the pins solely for having even yardages. other than having to explain it to people... its not really a big deal.

Ok I get it now. You just switched your arrow set up. I always just resight mine if I switch arrows. Most people don't like to sight them in, but I enjoy it just because I love shooting and tinkerin with it.

gotyacovered

Quote from: clutch on December 01, 2010, 02:57:09 pm
Ok I get it now. You just switched your arrow set up. I always just resight mine if I switch arrows. Most people don't like to sight them in, but I enjoy it just because I love shooting and tinkerin with it.

i like shooting and doing the fist three pins is ok, but that 4th and 5th pin at 50+ yards takes FOREVER!!! my bowtech has a mean pull and after 35 or so shots i start getting tired. guess i need to be like that under armor commercial and start working out "b/c hunting is a sport" lol

Smitty86

Top pin - 20 yards
2nd pin - 30 yards
3rd pin - 40 yards

Practice with your hunting setup. If you are hunting from an elevated stand, practice from an elevated stand. I agree with Sultan, practice beyond your comfortanle range.
Set up those extra pins for 50 and 60 yards. the more you practice those long shots, the easier the short ones will be. Welcome to the world of bowhunting.

clutch

Quote from: Smitty86 on December 10, 2010, 10:22:19 pm
Top pin - 20 yards
2nd pin - 30 yards
3rd pin - 40 yards

Practice with your hunting setup. If you are hunting from an elevated stand, practice from an elevated stand. I agree with Sultan, practice beyond your comfortanle range.
Set up those extra pins for 50 and 60 yards. the more you practice those long shots, the easier the short ones will be. Welcome to the world of bowhunting.

I always practice my long shots first, then work my way in. A lot easier to shoot those long shots before you get tired.

IronHog

I've had great luck putting my first pin at 25 yards.  This will get you out past 30 yards with a decent setup out of a modern bow.  That will cover 90% of bowshots with one pin.  Just remember to hold down on them out of a treestand if they are close.

Second pin at 35.  This will get you out close to 40.

Third pin at 45.  Practice only pin for me.
=====================================

I could hunt with one pin sighted at 25 yards no problem.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.