Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ryan S

Started by Spikes, August 30, 2018, 06:07:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

You only have one life, so you better enjoy it!

bosshog84

Great read. I'm glad that Stanek is finding some success at the major league level. I wish the Rays would let him start and actually pitch a little. He started the other night against my Braves and threw only 1 inning and 11 pitches. I was worried he maybe got injured but it was the manager's decision to take him out.

arthurhawgerelli

Apparently the Rays manager has come up with a unique system.  He starts a closer type; pitches him for an inning, maybe two, then drops in the real starter type, who he tries to get 5-6 innings out of this guy, and then bring in his real closer. 

Lately, it seems to be really working.  Jalen Beeks is listed as the starter tonight, but he probably won't come in until the 2nd, after starting a September 1 call up. 

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on September 04, 2018, 11:02:14 am
Apparently the Rays manager has come up with a unique system.  He starts a closer type; pitches him for an inning, maybe two, then drops in the real starter type, who he tries to get 5-6 innings out of this guy, and then bring in his real closer. 

Lately, it seems to be really working.  Jalen Beeks is listed as the starter tonight, but he probably won't come in until the 2nd, after starting a September 1 call up. 

Gutsy
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

SPAL

Beeks and stanek pitched against the braves the other night. It was fun to see.

arthurhawgerelli

Last night for the Rays, Stanek started, Hunter Wood from Rogers (but didn't attend the U of A), and then Beeks pitched the first 6 innings.  Wood went 2 innings with no hits and 1 K and got the win.  Beeks went 2.2, with 5 K's and gave up one hit when the infield shifted to the left, and the hitter hit the ball right through where the 2nd baseman traditionally stands.  I thought Beeks should get the win, but it was good they kept it "in-state."

flippinhogmana

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on September 05, 2018, 10:43:52 am
Last night for the Rays, Stanek started, Hunter Wood from Rogers (but didn't attend the U of A), and then Beeks pitched the first 6 innings.  Wood went 2 innings with no hits and 1 K and got the win.  Beeks went 2.2, with 5 K's and gave up one hit when the infield shifted to the left, and the hitter hit the ball right through where the 2nd baseman traditionally stands.  I thought Beeks should get the win, but it was good they kept it "in-state."

Dont feel too sorry for Jalen - he is 4-0 in similar situations with Tampa Bay where he has built off what the starting pitcher has left him most of those times.  But he has also pitched well and lowered his ERA from Boston in half over that time.  Still, its good to see the starter (especially since it was Ryne in this case) get the win.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: flippinhogmana on September 05, 2018, 11:36:38 am
Dont feel too sorry for Jalen - he is 4-0 in similar situations with Tampa Bay where he has built off what the starting pitcher has left him most of those times.  But he has also pitched well and lowered his ERA from Boston in half over that time.  Still, its good to see the starter (especially since it was Ryne in this case) get the win.

Actually, Ryne didn't get the win, Wood did.  I was happy that one of the Arkansas guys got the win, nevertheless.

Very happy that Jalen will get a full half year salary for he and his family.  No sending him back to the minors this year.

flippinhogmana

sorry, my bad, still Wood is an Arkansas boy too, happy for him as well.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: flippinhogmana on September 06, 2018, 08:56:16 am
sorry, my bad, still Wood is an Arkansas boy too, happy for him as well.

Yep. Same HS as Kacey Murphy.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005