Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Game 11 thread: #5 Arkansas (8-2,0-0 SEC) vs. USC (7-2,0-0 PAC 12)

Started by JHicks3636, March 03, 2018, 12:16:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BroyledNutts

Oh that Baum Stadium wind ...

Bottom line USC wanted this game and they played like it. We had trouble with another lefty. Every time we had a chance to start something Shaddy or Fletch was batting with two outs.

Oh Baseball, you fickle Biatch ... You owe the Hogs one tomorrow.

LJHOG

snoblind

Amityvillehogger

Missing the clutch hit today. It's baseball and it's why we love it and hate it.

Koch's bomb was soooooooo close. And he got all of it.

Crowd never got a chance to get into it. Fun day at the park though.

Let's get them tomorrow. WPS.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

pigture perfect

I'm thankful we didn't get shutout. Wish we had been more opportunistic. Great job Pocono. Thanks everyone for a great thread.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hogfan14

Tony Perkis

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on March 03, 2018, 05:50:23 pm
Missing the clutch hit today. It's baseball and it's why we love it and hate it.

Koch's bomb was soooooooo close. And he got all of it.

Crowd never got a chance to get into it. Fun day at the park though.

Let's get them tomorrow. WPS.
Just got home and was going to give my synopsis of the game...but here it is already.

BroyledNutts

ucahogfan

Koch has to do a better job of blocking the ball in the dirt than just trying to backhand it.  You could easily argue two of their three runs should not have scored had he blocked the ball instead of trying to go for the backhand.

Shaddy, Fletcher, and Koch need to stop pressing at the plate.  They have so much talent it is frustrating to see them struggle like this, but DVH needs to keep riding them.

TebowHater

Quote from: ucahogfan on March 03, 2018, 08:33:12 pm
Koch has to do a better job of blocking the ball in the dirt than just trying to backhand it.  You could easily argue two of their three runs should not have scored had he blocked the ball instead of trying to go for the backhand.

Shaddy, Fletcher, and Koch need to stop pressing at the plate.  They have so much talent it is frustrating to see them struggle like this, but DVH needs to keep riding them.

Agree on all fronts. The back hands were bad.

DVH said he was worried about Fletcher in his PC, and that he is frustrated with all those returners not hitting.

bulldog04

DVH called out some of his experienced players in the presser. I would expect a different team tomorrow and the rest of the year

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: bulldog04 on March 03, 2018, 08:58:53 pm
DVH called out some of his experienced players in the presser. I would expect a different team tomorrow and the rest of the year

Wouldn't mind seeing some of them ride some pine if they don't figure out very soon.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 03, 2018, 09:32:41 pm
Wouldn't mind seeing some of them ride some pine if they don't figure out very soon.

I'd really hate to lose Fletch's arm in center ... Shaddy has really improved his fielding - I hope he figures it out at the plate. I'm becoming an opponent of sending guys to team USA - Koch is the latest to participate and then have a terrible start to the season.

thebignasty

Quote from: BroyledNutts on March 03, 2018, 09:54:39 pm
I'd really hate to lose Fletch's arm in center ... Shaddy has really improved his fielding - I hope he figures it out at the plate. I'm becoming an opponent of sending guys to team USA - Koch is the latest to participate and then have a terrible start to the season.

Koch is hitting .276, OBP of .389.  I would agree that I think he can be better (especially from a power perspective, just .379 slugging) at the plate than he has been so far, but that's a far cry from awful. 

Shaddy and Fletch are definitely in slumps.  We need them to get out of them. If we've gotta slump though, this is the time of year for it. 

Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: thebignasty on March 03, 2018, 10:17:50 pm
Koch is hitting .276, OBP of .389.  I would agree that I think he can be better (especially from a power perspective, just .379 slugging) at the plate than he has been so far, but that's a far cry from awful. 

Shaddy and Fletch are definitely in slumps.  We need them to get out of them. If we've gotta slump though, this is the time of year for it. 

Concerning that the pitching we see will only get better

hogman64

Quote from: ucahogfan on March 03, 2018, 08:33:12 pm

I just don't really get it that the general perspective is that Koch and Shaddy are good college hitters... both are better defensively than offensively to me... Koch had a great first 25 games last year , but hasn't show it since.  and to me Shaddy has always been to undisciplined at the plate to be a good hitter.  he can have a few streaks especially against below average pitching  but never consistent over a long period of good competition. both are generally good defensively  and I am sure good team leaders but really hate to see either at the plate when we really need a hit.....Fletcher surprised me how good he was last year with his swing looking like it does, but I was sold he was a good hitter by the end of the year  despite his swing, probably  he comes out of it  and he is great in cf....

TebowHater

Quote from: BroyledNutts on March 03, 2018, 09:54:39 pm
I'm becoming an opponent of sending guys to team USA - Koch is the latest to participate and then have a terrible start to the season.

Koch was absolutely AWFUL at the plate the final third of last year. The number of bases loaded double play or strike outs he recorded had to set a record. One could argue his lack of production was the biggest factor in us not advancing, given how many times he came up in big spots and never delivered.

Then he went to Team USA, reset, and dominated. I was hoping he would be able to carry that over. Unfortunately it looks like he has picked up where he left off last spring.

Tony Perkis

Quote from: TebowHater on March 04, 2018, 09:06:37 am
Koch was absolutely AWFUL at the plate the final third of last year. The number of bases loaded double play or strike outs he recorded had to set a record. One could argue his lack of production was the biggest factor in us not advancing, given how many times he came up in big spots and never delivered.

Then he went to Team USA, reset, and dominated. I was hoping he would be able to carry that over. Unfortunately it looks like he has picked up where he left off last spring.
Playing devil's advocate here...Koch was a couple inches away from having two more hits and at least 4 RBIs yesterday. He smoked the ball hit right to the 3rd baseman when we had no outs and runners on 1st and 3rd...and of course the foul HR.

TebowHater

Quote from: Tony Perkis on March 04, 2018, 09:10:20 am
Playing devil's advocate here...Koch was a couple inches away from having two more hits and at least 4 RBIs yesterday. He smoked the ball hit right to the 3rd baseman when we had no outs and runners on 1st and 3rd...and of course the foul HR.

Also agree here. I felt yesterday was his best hitting day in a long while. Still, he's got to start getting it done.

Shaddy/Fletcher are more concerning. One question: is Kenley or Wilson as good a hitter as Shaddy (at least Shaddy of the past year)? At what point do we start giving that a try? Wilson can replace Shaddy at 2B. If Kenley, we move Martin to 2B, which is where DVH feels his future is anyway. Even with Shaddy's improvement, both of those guys would be an upgrade in the field and at least give us hope for something different at the plate.

Kevin

Koch last at bat was aggravating, but he has been hitting the ball better this week.

Fletcher, right now, is a different story.  He looks completely confused, and beaten down. 

Hope, he can find himself soon
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Tony Perkis

Quote from: Kevin on March 04, 2018, 09:38:31 am
Koch last at bat was aggravating, but he has been hitting the ball better this week.

Fletcher, right now, is a different story.  He looks completely confused, and beaten down. 

Hope, he can find himself soon
Stating the obvious here, but I'd rather the slumps come now than in conference play...which is quickly approaching.

Razorbacks#1

"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!