Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Recruiting and Beyond

Started by ucahogfan, July 17, 2016, 04:16:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: ricepig on December 01, 2016, 05:43:34 pm
https://twitter.com/DannyWest1/status/804470626429861888

https://twitter.com/HestonTole_17/status/804464498954371073

Not gonna lie, this is kind of funny. "Further my education at the University of Arkansas." He hasn't even completed a semester of high school lol. Nothing against him and I'm sure he is/will be a stud since DVH offered so soon, I just get a little tired of every recruit in all sports coming with the same spill.

Pig Papi

I thought his announcement was very appropriate and respectful.  Welcome aboard Mr. Tole.  Congratulations to you and your family.

pigroots

I live 20 minutes from the Heston Tole and he's the real deal. Was throwing over 80 as a 12-13 year old. Saw him on ESPN as one of the all stars there. Friends of mine who are all in on baseball have been telling me about this guy for years. All I know is they played my son's basketball team twice last year and he probably averaged 25 pts a game. He's gotta be 6'3'' or so and very athletic. I'm glad he's going to be a Hog

MemphisBossHog

December 22, 2016, 09:46:30 pm #53 Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 09:56:45 pm by MemphisBossHog
ucahogfan or ricepig or anyone who keeps up with baseball recruiting:   From reading this thread, it would seem that the Diamond Hogs are recruiting well.  Tony Vitello has been named the top recruiter in the SEC.  All that sounds great. My question is how do we compare with teams like Florida or, say, Ole Miss.  I saw one national class ranking for 2016-2017 and Ole Miss was like #2 in the nation. 

Would you say the Hogs are recruiting on the same level as Florida, Vandy, LSU, Ole Miss etc?? Just curious as to how we compare to their classes.

***edit--saw in another thread in this forum that Baseball America ranked us 12 in the nation, but Ole Miss was freakin #1. Florida was 3rd or 4th.   So, I guess 12 is good, but apparently not just football players are flocking to Oxford to play SEC football.  Baseball prospects are loving Oxford as well.  Oh well, hopefully DVH can mold these guys into a powerhouse.

PintailKiller

IMO - the big difference is that those schools are getting the higher draftees to come to school.
I am not sure the appeal of Bianco at OM.  DVH has been to the CWS far more than Bianco. 
Florida, SC, Vandy, LSU - have all played for or won the title in recent years.
Only Auburn (97), Mizzou (67), & UK (never) haven't been to the CWS in the 2000s. 
So, I think that being in the top 15 nationally year end and year out is pretty damn good. 
The additional of Wes Johnson should help push the Hogs into the top 10 in the near future.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: PintailKiller on December 23, 2016, 08:55:20 am
IMO - the big difference is that those schools are getting the higher draftees to come to school.
I am not sure the appeal of Bianco at OM.  DVH has been to the CWS far more than Bianco. 
Florida, SC, Vandy, LSU - have all played for or won the title in recent years.
Only Auburn (97), Mizzou (67), & UK (never) haven't been to the CWS in the 2000s. 
So, I think that being in the top 15 nationally year end and year out is pretty damn good. 
The additional of Wes Johnson should help push the Hogs into the top 10 in the near future.
hey, I like it. Glad to hear the positive thoughts.  I am a Vandy alum, but I have always loved the Hogs.  I learned from ucahogfan that Vandy can do things with its scholarship money that public universities cant do and they can gain an advantage recruiting (dont ask me to explain that but uca explained it to me a while back when I asked him how Vandy was getting all that talent to come to Nashville).

LSU, Florida,South Carolina--I get how they get players. LSU and SCe are established national championship winners.  Florida is...well...Florida.  They get stud talent in any sport they have.  They just do. But I dont get the fascination with Ole Miss. I think they moved up to the #1 class in 2016-17. They kept all the players and didnt lose any to the big leagues.  WOW.

Anyway, hope the Hogs can turn things around.  Last season was really strange losing all those games at end of the season.  Dont want to see that ever again.

hawgcraZ

18 RHP Connor McCullough has committed to @RazorbackBSB previously committed to Oklahoma. @RazorbackBSB keeping majority of top 2018 instate

Pig Papi

Quote from: hawgcraZ on January 21, 2017, 03:28:37 pm
18 RHP Connor McCullough has committed to @RazorbackBSB previously committed to Oklahoma. @RazorbackBSB keeping majority of top 2018 instate

The amount of in state arms in the 2018 class is unreal. It is the best in recent memory by far.  Two arms have committed elsewhere (Ole Miss, LSU) but both of those guys are likely draft guys (Kaleb Hill and Jayden Hill).  There are still quality arms in that class either uncommitted or committed elsewhere that could be flipped.

Getting the AR commits to campus is now the priority.  All the top guys (Noland, Hiatt, Beasley, McCollough) will all have a shot at the draft.  I think we get 3 of the 4 to campus.

The 2019 in state class already has 2 AR commits but as a whole is not near as deep.

The 2020 in state class is loaded.  There are already 2 offers out there in that group.

The in state future is bright.  That talent combined with what they will bring in from out of state could make the next few years very, very  exciting.

bandera

More like 5 offers already fir 2020's. 

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: bandera on January 25, 2017, 05:39:33 pm

DVH changing his ways a bit.

Pig Papi

Quote from: bandera on January 25, 2017, 05:39:33 pm

Are you saying 5 2020s already offered by the Hogs or offered by all schools?  I know A State has offered some but only 2 so far to Arkansas that I am aware of.  Impressive either way.

bandera

Pig Papi

We have talked up the 2018 in state pitching class quite a bit.  However, the best arm in the state may be 2019 Razorback commit Blake Adams.  He pitched 5 innings of no hit ball last night against #1 rated Conway and was in complete control working 88-89.  Blake looks the part.  He is the #1 rated 2019 in state player and will begin to fly up the national rankings. 

One scout told me last night he was more polished than the 2018 in state guys right now.  He is also has a very good chance of making it to campus.

ricepig

Quote from: Pig Papi on March 09, 2017, 09:03:29 am
We have talked up the 2018 in state pitching class quite a bit.  However, the best arm in the state may be 2019 Razorback commit Blake Adams.  He pitched 5 innings of no hit ball last night against #1 rated Conway and was in complete control working 88-89.  Blake looks the part.  He is the #1 rated 2019 in state player and will begin to fly up the national rankings. 

One scout told me last night he was more polished than the 2018 in state guys right now.  He is also has a very good chance of making it to campus.

Several kids in the 2019 class can pitch, I watched one last week hit 91, work 88-89. I'm hoping he's matched against another 2019 today, that throws in that range.

PorkRyan

Quote from: ricepig on March 09, 2017, 09:44:08 am
Several kids in the 2019 class can pitch, I watched one last week hit 91, work 88-89. I'm hoping he's matched against another 2019 today, that throws in that range.

Do you have names for these guys?

Grizzlyfan

Is Hank Hannah, LHP from LR Catholic, considered a 2018 commit? 

PorkRyan

ucahogfan

Baseball America released their initial draft top 100 recently and two signees made the list.

Bryce Bonnin was #57 on the list released.  Based on what I have read, he has been up to 96 this spring and has shown a very good slider in the past.  I sure hope he makes it to campus, but I think we have two things working for us - he is only 6'1" so he isn't the ideal height teams are looking for out of a RHP especially out of HS and I think he was initially recruited as a two way player for us.  Would be nice to get him to campus as a big time arm.

Daniel Tillo was #90.  He is a JUCO recruit with a fastball that can get up into the mid 90s from the left side.  He has the ideal body for a pitcher at 6-5, 215, but hopefully he makes it to campus ala Trevor Stephan this year.  Could be a big time for us next year to pair alongside Isaiah Campbell.

hawgcraZ

Crazy that Turney isn't on this list.  Would be a big get, but originally looked like our most likely not to make it to campus.

ucahogfan

Quote from: hawgcraZ on April 22, 2017, 11:25:31 pm
Crazy that Turney isn't on this list.  Would be a big get, but originally looked like our most likely not to make it to campus.
I know.  It will be interesting to see if he is on the MLB.com list when it is expanded to 100 on Thursday.  If he does make it to campus, just imagine adding him to an offense which will be returning Koch, Biggers,  Cole, Fletcher, McFarland, Williams, and Lee.

hawgcraZ

Bad news on the baseball recruiting info front.  Hog nation.net is going away.  I know this has been the go-to place for info.  We will have to step up our game here on Hogville

SPAL

Quote from: hawgcraZ on May 29, 2017, 01:00:06 pm
Bad news on the baseball recruiting info front.  Hog nation.net is going away.  I know this has been the go-to place for info.  We will have to step up our game here on Hogville

I've never heard if it. I usually follow uca and do my own research anyway.

ricepig

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on May 29, 2017, 01:04:47 pm
I've never heard if it. I usually follow uca and do my own research anyway.

They always had the best info on baseball recruiting.

bulldog04

This makes me very sad. I like going back and looking at past recruiting classes and get info on the current class

Kevin

Plus they did a good job on where the hogs where playing in the summer
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ucahogfan

Yeah, hognation was always a solid site when it came to Hog baseball.  They also had future opponents going out for a few years.

In terms of the 2017 class, I have a few questions that come to mind.

Does Bryce Bonnin make it to campus?  He is a RHP who can reach back for 96 and has the 2nd best slider for his class according to PG.  He could be a big time arm for us out of the pen.  I do see a couple of things working in our favor though.  He has signed to play for the PUF Caps this summer which is a team of high level high school grads playing against college summer teams in California.  Hogs who have played for that team include Blaine Knight and Dominic Fletcher.

Does Daniel Tillo make it to campus?  He is a LHP who can sit 92-95 and touch 97 at his best and has flashed a plus slider.  You could imagine at the very worst he could be a closer, but would expect him to fill a weekend starter role as he will be a junior.  I doubt he makes it to campus, but it never hurts to have an arm like this signed.

What impact do Hunter Milligan and Jackson Rutledge have?  Are they midweek starters or do they see someone weekend action out of the pen or even in the rotation?  I think at the very least the rotation is Campbell, Murphy, and Cronin for next year, but you never know how a freshman looks until he gets on campus.

Can Casey Opitz come in and back up Koch effectively?  I think one of the biggest needs for next year is a backup catcher.  With Gosser being hurt some of the year, Koch has worn down having to catch every game.  It would be good if Opitz could come in and catch midweek games to give Koch some rest throughout the week.

What role can Cole Turney fill?  I think we are set in the OF defensively next year with Cole, Lee, and Fletcher all coming back, but you want a hitter of Turney's caliber in the lineup on a daily basis.  He is the type of caliber hitter that we have seen out of players like Cox, Fletcher, and Benintendi.

Can a freshmen come in and start at 3B if Shaddy and Williams both stay at 2B?  Some of the options that we have are Casey Martin who has shown a high ceiling, as well as players like Bonnin, Jacob Nesbit, and Easton Murrell.

There is a lot of promise with this class that we could plug in next year and hopefully have postseason ball again in Fayetteville.

BroyledNutts

I don't think Bonnin nor Tillo make it to campus...I have no factual evidence to support my opinion, other than it seems to fit the recent trend of high value signees

ucahogfan

Quote from: BroyledNutts on May 29, 2017, 02:48:40 pm
I don't think Bonnin nor Tillo make it to campus...I have no factual evidence to support my opinion, other than it seems to fit the recent trend of high value signees
But we have done well getting recruits to campus as well with players like Bonfield, Fletcher, and McFarland.  All were top 100 players in their class coming out of high school.

Tillo is tougher as a JUCO guy, but I just have a feeling that Bonnin comes to campus as scouts might stray away from a HS RHP who isn't 6-3 or taller.

Another name to mention is Zebulon Vermillion who has the best name in the class, but he has also hit 94 this spring.  He plays at the same high school of Joey Wentz who was a high draft pick of the Braves last year.  Vermillion is 6-5, 175 so if you think he can get up to 200, he might be topping out at 97-98 in a college weight program.

Rockhawg

bulldog04

Clayton Ross Gray from Cabot, AR 2020 class committed to the hogs

dotnet

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 29, 2017, 02:46:49 pm
What impact do Hunter Milligan and Jackson Rutledge have?  Are they midweek starters or do they see someone weekend action out of the pen or even in the rotation?  I think at the very least the rotation is Campbell, Murphy, and Cronin for next year, but you never know how a freshman looks until he gets on campus.

I have always thought preferred to have a dedicated mid week starter, unlike this year.  That way, when the regional rolls around you have someone to go out there and actually give you 4-5 innings instead of going through the same bullpen arms. 

I would be perfectly content to have a freshman take some lumps in the midweek and develop over the year if they were good enough.  I'd also be okay with Evan Lee - as I think he needs to start. 

Assuming the top two pitchers don't make it to campus, it feels like next year's weekend rotation will be someone from the mix of: Murphy, Campbell, Knight, Cronin, Lee, Kopps (doubtful), Reindl (doubtful).  It seems like it would be hard for a freshman to break into that group. 

dotnet

I do wonder who DVH was mentioning during his press conference when he said some guys he thought were tough signs seems like they're intent on coming to college. 

Turney?

onebadrubi

Quote from: dotnet on June 12, 2017, 12:15:22 pm
I have always thought preferred to have a dedicated mid week starter, unlike this year.  That way, when the regional rolls around you have someone to go out there and actually give you 4-5 innings instead of going through the same bullpen arms. 

I would be perfectly content to have a freshman take some lumps in the midweek and develop over the year if they were good enough.  I'd also be okay with Evan Lee - as I think he needs to start. 

Assuming the top two pitchers don't make it to campus, it feels like next year's weekend rotation will be someone from the mix of: Murphy, Campbell, Knight, Cronin, Lee, Kopps (doubtful), Reindl (doubtful).  It seems like it would be hard for a freshman to break into that group.

If knight comes back I definitely think we have a designated mid week guy next year.  If knight and campbell both come back and are at full strength then most certainly we have a mid week starter. 

SouthTulsaHog

Tweeted at Frankie Piliere (@FPiliereD1) regarding some of our high school and JUCO recruits most likely to sign. He is D1baseball draft guy. Seems to be really knowledgeable and in the know. Said his feeling is Bonnin will not get to Campus as he appears to be a strong bet to be selected in the top 50.

He said he didnt have a strong feel for the stock of Turney, Trillo, or Rutledge. My feeling is if we get 2 of those 4 to campus it would be good. 3 out of 4 would be amazing.

We shall see how it shakes out over the next couple of days.

WPS!

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on June 12, 2017, 12:16:00 pm
I do wonder who DVH was mentioning during his press conference when he said some guys he thought were tough signs seems like they're intent on coming to college. 

Turney?
I would imagine it has to be Turney.

bulldog04

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 12, 2017, 08:30:39 pm
I would imagine it has to be Turney.
I've seen him talk about coming to college this past year. One time Jaxon was taking about being on the hill and Turney said I will be there next year. Jaxon came back no you will be chasing that money. Turney said I will be a hog. Jaxon said he will believe it when he sees it. Not the exact conversation but you get the picture

PintailKiller

Didn't feel this deserved its own thread, so I put it here.  Move to a more appropriate thread if needed.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/razorbacks-mostly-intact-2017-mlb-draft-a/#BImq8bJ8YSOSyTrt.97

Arkansas: The Razorbacks had one of the best weeks of any college team. Sophomore righthander Blaine Knight (No. 87 on the BA 500) wasn't selected until the 29th round, and will next year return to the rotation where he will team with righthander Isiah Campbell for a strong 1-2 punch. Arkansas also will get Texas prep righthander Bryce Bonnin (No. 73), as well as the bulk of its strong recruiting class even after recruiting coordinator Tony Vitello was hired away last week to become head coach at Tennessee.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

Amityvillehogger

From prospect development pipeline event in Chicago. Looks like we lost one.

"Tanner Kohlhepp out of the blocks at today's @MLBPDP event in Chicago. Wisconsin HS @MLBDraft prospect decommitted from Arkansas last night."
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

PorkRyan

Arkansas offered Kam'ron Mays Hunt this week.  I posted about him a few years ago as being one of the standouts on the very high end EM Majors team.  I saw him hit a HR at 13majors state that had to have gone 380-400 feet.  I expected him to be the top player in the state for the 2018 class.  I think he struggled with maturity at times and he may have had to learn to handle failure as well.  He hasn't been as highly ranked as I thought he would be, but that appears to be changing.  He is 91mph off the mound and a 6.5 runner.  He probably has the most tools in that class.  Hopefully he will commit to Arkansas, but he looks like he will have a lot of options.     

SPAL

Quote from: PorkRyan on June 22, 2017, 10:22:45 pm
Arkansas offered Kam'ron Mays Hunt this week.  I posted about him a few years ago as being one of the standouts on the very high end EM Majors team.  I saw him hit a HR at 13majors state that had to have gone 380-400 feet.  I expected him to be the top player in the state for the 2018 class.  I think he struggled with maturity at times and he may have had to learn to handle failure as well.  He hasn't been as highly ranked as I thought he would be, but that appears to be changing.  He is 91mph off the mound and a 6.5 runner.  He probably has the most tools in that class.  Hopefully he will commit to Arkansas, but he looks like he will have a lot of options.     

I remember his name. Very good Info here....thank you.

Pig Papi

Quote from: PorkRyan on June 22, 2017, 10:22:45 pm

His 91 is just God given athletic ability.  He plays all 3 sports and rarely throws.  His arm has basically no mileage on it.  A pitching coach like Wes Johnson could do wonders for this kid.  Several SEC schools have inquired about him.  He has blown up early this summer.

Perhaps the Kohlhepp news above is related to the Mays-Hunt news.

bulldog04

Quote from: Pig Papi on June 22, 2017, 10:47:47 pm
His 91 is just God given athletic ability.  He plays all 3 sports and rarely throws.  His arm has basically no mileage on it.  A pitching coach like Wes Johnson could do wonders for this kid.  Several SEC schools have inquired about him.  He has blown up early this summer.

Perhaps the Kohlhepp news above is related to the Mays-Hunt news.
He has a heck of a football highlight video. Very shifty and fast

ricepig

Hogs49ers

WPS! So he just now committed out of nowhere?  A 16th rd MLB draft pick just landed in our lap??  Our pitching is going to be salty for the next few years!

I am guessing Jaxon Williams leaving shored up the scholarship money to give this kid?
SCREW Vandy!

razorbackfan86

SPAL

I love ricepig. This dude is so invaluable with his Twitter skills. Thanks for always being on top of it.

Hogs49ers

It says "Bolden (6-2, 175 pounds) previously was committed to Seminole State College in Oklahoma" - if he was good enough to be 16th rd. pick, are y'all surprised that he was not committed at a bigger school?  Does anyone know the back story here?
SCREW Vandy!

bulldog04

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 23, 2017, 10:11:04 pm
It says "Bolden (6-2, 175 pounds) previously was committed to Seminole State College in Oklahoma" - if he was good enough to be 16th rd. pick, are y'all surprised that he was not committed at a bigger school?  Does anyone know the back story here?
It's quite common for players to attend a JUCO. Either so they will be draft eligible sooner or get more playing time in college and then attend a larger D1 after 1 or 2 years

Hogs49ers

Quote from: bulldog04 on June 23, 2017, 10:14:43 pm
It's quite common for players to attend a JUCO. Either so they will be draft eligible sooner or get more playing time in college and then attend a larger D1 after 1 or 2 years

Thanks, I figured that was the case - it sounds like JUCO baseball is not the same as JUCO football...
SCREW Vandy!

goodguytex

Quote from: ricepig on June 23, 2017, 07:14:37 pm
Late addition to the 2017 class.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/jun/23/arkansas-picks-late-commitment-mlb-draft-pick/
I've seen this kid play in person. He has a .91 era I think. And has lost only 2 games in 3 years. Just an incredible record, and a great kid.