Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Am I seeing this correctly??????

Started by 12247, May 25, 2013, 09:31:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

I rarely got to see Hog baseball so I am seriously want your opinions.  Most of our hitters attain a stance at the plate with their feet waaaaay to far apart to be able to turn their hips through the swing.  Many of our hitters are letting go of the bat with their follow hand before the bat clears the plate meaning they are letting up on the power waaay early in the swing. 

I admit I am just plain old and maybe we did things different back in the day.  There was a time i could hit for average and power and I never ever tried to do the splits at the plate.  Just like in golf, if you widen your stance waay out, you cannot rotate through the ball and your accuracy on the ball is horrible.  Our team is not good at getting meat on the ball and our power is no where near where it should be.

Think I am crazy??  Take a bat or use a golf club for a bat and assume a stance so wide you can put a yard stick long ways between your feet.  You got nothing, no power, no turn, no perfect direction.  Now assume a stance with your feet just wider than your shoulders and you got twist, you feel like you can guide the bat and you can swing through for power.  You can also move forward, (step into) the pitch like many of yesteryears top quality major leaguers did it.

Sorry about that first sentence.   I rarely get to see Hog baseball and I seriously would like your opinions.

UltimateHog

Who knows, there's definitely something wrong with them, stance or mentally or something.

1 hit against LSU's midweek pitcher and lesser used bullpen arms is just embarrassing especially when we could have possibly locked up a host and LSU was playing for nothing.

Hopefully Butler gets the UGA job.
Quote from: cityhog on January 14, 2012, 04:48:21 pm
I'll honestly be shocked if CMA ever goes above .500 in conference play as coach here.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: UltimateHog on May 26, 2013, 12:42:25 am
Who knows, there's definitely something wrong with them, stance or mentally or something.

1 hit against LSU's midweek pitcher and lesser used bullpen arms is just embarrassing especially when we could have possibly locked up a host and LSU was playing for nothing.

Hopefully Butler gets the UGA job.

Lol @ lesser used bullpen arms. We saw Bourgeois and Cotton.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

UltimateHog

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on May 26, 2013, 01:05:32 am
Lol @ lesser used bullpen arms. We saw Bourgeois and Cotton.

And Kevin Berry is their least used arm.

Bourgeois and Cotton are their 8-9 so obviously we saw them, they were winning. Duh.

No need to make excuses (just kidding this is hogville) for getting 1 hit off a guy with 3 starts all season, and their least used bullpen arm through half the game.
Quote from: cityhog on January 14, 2012, 04:48:21 pm
I'll honestly be shocked if CMA ever goes above .500 in conference play as coach here.

dacskc

Pujols' stance always generated a lot of comments. I know there was always discussion about his wide stance and just picking the foot up as opposed to striding. His ending placement of the foot was about the same on contact when compared to a batter using a narrower stance with a stride. MLB players using a wide stance don't seem to have trouble with hip rotation. Then again, most batters I can think of who use a wider stance are big, powerful guys. Vinson has the widest stance I can think of on the team, but he's one of the better hitters. (I honestly haven't noticed anybody else having a wider than normal base.) Just my observation, but then again I'm usually too busy being mad at stupid things like the SS flipping the ball to an unsuspecting 2nd baseman with 2 outs instead of going to 1B, or yelling stuff at the TV to notice these things.  So I guess this doesn't answer your question in any way, lol.

ricepig

Hmm....I like the wide stance better than some of our guys who pick up their front foot and step towards the pitcher as soon as the ball is thrown. I guess I've always been a rotational hitting believer, but what ever gets them on base is fine with me. In the case of yestersdays game, we needed a tee to hit it I guess.

southarkhog06

Quote from: UltimateHog on May 26, 2013, 01:12:10 am
And Kevin Berry is their least used arm.

Bourgeois and Cotton are their 8-9 so obviously we saw them, they were winning. Duh.

No need to make excuses (just kidding this is hogville) for getting 1 hit off a guy with 3 starts all season, and their least used bullpen arm through half the game.
and we had 4 runs on 12 hits against thier ace and top to mid bullpen arms on thursday your point is?