Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diamond Hogs, Power Struggle?

Started by Scott Marshall, February 25, 2011, 12:06:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Marshall

February 25, 2011, 12:06:53 pm Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:06:31 am by Scott Marshall
The Diamond Hogs have gotten use to the long ball helping out in clutch situations. With the new Toned Down bats in college baseball, fans are going to see less home runs. Van Horn thinks he has a couple guys that will be in double digits. See story here: http://nwahomepage.com/sports-hogville-fulltext/?watch=1&nxd_id=219796

What do you think...let us know how much of an impact the new bats will play this season.

omahawg#17

Well we're not going to be hitting three run bombs over the scoreboard anymore, and flyouts aren't going to be homeruns any more. But, it's still going to be exciting. A lot of hitting and running. We're going to play traditional baseball. Anyone going to a baseball game hoping for a 14-12 slugfest is going for the wrong reason. Should be another great year. Team is built on speed and is extremely well coached. Go Hogs!
Speak softly and carry a big stick.

BigSexyHog

I will always miss Eibner....  But am very excited about this year.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

PorcineSublime

I hope we figure out the new bats before SEC starts. I like 3-2 games, but I am guessing if we do not start hitting with a little more consistency it will be a little tough to win too many of those games. Too early to tell what will happen, but I like that fact that we can be kind of blah and still come out with the W.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

jbell96

Hitting will come around. DVH has been recruiting with the bat change in mind the past few years so we'll be able to adapt quickly to the change. We won't hit a ton of homers, but we'll score enough runs to win.

PigDaddyKane

I think DVH has been smart with the way he has built this team.  More pitching and speed.  This is why I like the way he and BP coach.  They have a plan and they execute that plan.
The only person on Hogville without an inside source for Razorback news!

arkmark

Can't only consider the effect of the new bat.  As has been said, DVH planned for the bat change through recruiting for small ball.  Take the big boys off the field to increase speed and you  have to lose, to an extent, the long ball ability.

Knot2brite

It will only take a couple years until the power numbers are back up....teams are going to start moving the fences in, kids are going to start power lifting and getting into beast mode and you are going to see things go right back to what it has been in the last couple years. Evolution (no I am not a satanist) is going to occur in the game. If they go to wood it will happen as well. Major league parks can't hold down the numbers either. It is going to be a long couple years for those that love the long ball but eventually it will get back to what they want.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

twistitup

We will not see the power with these bats. I bet power is down across the nation.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

BvilleHog37

I'm not too overly concerned with the lack of homeruns. There are tons of ways to score in baseball and hitting a homer just happens to be one of them. Today's game was a perfect example. Utah hit 2 homers, we hit none, but we won nevertheless. The point is, I don't really care how we score our runs as long as we score enough runs to win.
Quote from: ucahogfan on June 09, 2011, 12:06:02 pm
Life will throw you curveballs, make the best of them that you can.

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on February 22, 2013, 03:17:19 pm
Rice recovery by Stanek. Very clutch.

twistitup

Quote from: BvilleHog37 on February 26, 2011, 09:17:24 pm
I'm not too overly concerned with the lack of homeruns. There are tons of ways to score in baseball and hitting a homer just happens to be one of them. Today's game was a perfect example. Utah hit 2 homers, we hit none, but we won nevertheless. The point is, I don't really care how we score our runs as long as we score enough runs to win.

True, runs are runs....I think less focus needs to be put on power now that bats have changed, otherwise kids will be swinging TRYING to hit homeruns and that is never good.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Scott Marshall

February 28, 2011, 04:53:38 pm #11 Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 06:24:42 pm by Scott Marshall
I definitely like that the team is not going to focus on relying on the long ball at anytime during the game...Van Horn talked about how he will find anyway he can to manufacture runs and keeping a game close with the pitching. And the New Pitching rotation looks solid through the first 2 series.

ucahogfan

My thought on the new bats is that the best coaches will shine this year.  Coaching moves are going to mean much more this year than in years past, and having DVH helps us in that regard, plus this is his style of baseball.

BroyledNutts

March 01, 2011, 02:05:13 am #13 Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 02:07:48 am by BroyledNutts
So far, I haven't seen any example of power from anyone in the lineup - and that concerns me. Over the past two weekends, LSU, Florida, South Carolina have all hit numbers of homers...although against weaker competition - we did not against the same type of opponent. I am very concerned that the rest of the SEC is still exhibiting the ability to go yard, while we are not.
This team will not be able to leave a struggling pitcher on the mound and let the opponent pile up the runs - DVH's leash will have to very short with all pitchers because we are not built to recover from a large deficit by homering our way back into a game like last year. I had predicted that our SEC record would be 17-13 this season...I may have to re-evaluate that.

ucahogfan

Did you also factor into other things that go into hitting a home run and not just the new bats?  The wind at Baum the 1st 2 series has been nasty and Fico would have joined Bigham in the HR department had the winds been blowing 15-20 instead of 20-25.  Baum is also a very big park and that will work into our favor.

Bruinstyle2001

Quote from: ucahogfan on March 01, 2011, 08:56:40 am
Did you also factor into other things that go into hitting a home run and not just the new bats?  The wind at Baum the 1st 2 series has been nasty and Fico would have joined Bigham in the HR department had the winds been blowing 15-20 instead of 20-25.  Baum is also a very big park and that will work into our favor.

That is the biggest difference between Arkansas's games vs. the other SEC schools mentioned.  LSU had a wind blowing out at 30 mph its opening weekend and i suspect it was that way last weekend, whereas we were pretty much the reverse the whole time. 

Pork Twain

I think there will be very little impact due to every team facing the same new foe.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

spudhog

I think this is what makes DVH such a good coach. He can win in a variety of ways. Last year was exciting and unique. This season will be unique and I hope exciting as well. The wind has been blowing in nearly every game this season. When the weather heats up, our bats will likewise.

If we are scoring runs, I don't care how we do it personally. This staff looks good/deep and that is what will carry us this season. It is different from last year but it could prove to be better.

Drewhog

According to SECSports.com and their SEC baseball stats page, Mikie Mahtook of LSU has 5 HRs.  Arkansas's entire team has 1 on the year.  Yikes.

Razorback7281

Quote from: Drewhog on March 02, 2011, 10:54:30 am
According to SECSports.com and their SEC baseball stats page, Mikie Mahtook of LSU has 5 HRs.  Arkansas's entire team has 1 on the year.  Yikes.
Looks where he plays.  Smaller park with the wind howling out to left as opposed to in from right at Baum.  Home Runs are down across the board in College Baseball so far. 
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 16, 2015, 08:55:43 pmgurantee I'm smarter then you..but that's not saying much.
Quote from: talley on September 17, 2015, 09:53:38 am
you misspelled "Guarantee" while trying to talk about how smart you are.  Epic Fail.
Quote from: Lanny on October 16, 2015, 07:37:58 am
Good job everyone except Faldon.

mike32

Quote from: Razorback7281 on March 02, 2011, 11:03:52 am
Looks where he plays.  Smaller park with the wind howling out to left as opposed to in from right at Baum.  Home Runs are down across the board in College Baseball so far. 
The Box is 330-365-405  Baum is 320-375-400  So which park is smaller?   How many games have you been to at the Box to know that the wind is always howling out to left?  Could be that Mahtook is just a better power hitter than you're giving him credit for

Razorback7281

Quote from: mike32 on March 02, 2011, 08:35:14 pm
The Box is 330-365-405  Baum is 320-375-400  So which park is smaller?   How many games have you been to at the Box to know that the wind is always howling out to left?  Could be that Mahtook is just a better power hitter than you're giving him credit for
Enough to know the wind almost always blows out to left or left center.  Also a 365 power alley vs a 375 power alley is a huge difference.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 16, 2015, 08:55:43 pmgurantee I'm smarter then you..but that's not saying much.
Quote from: talley on September 17, 2015, 09:53:38 am
you misspelled "Guarantee" while trying to talk about how smart you are.  Epic Fail.
Quote from: Lanny on October 16, 2015, 07:37:58 am
Good job everyone except Faldon.