Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone else questioning the coach on sitting Jake and Ben??

Started by 351hog, May 14, 2007, 02:48:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

351hog

I understand that sometimes you have to punish a player if they are loafing around in the pregame...maybe get in their face and yell at them, but you dont sit them during a huge series against Bama.  I mean we are talking about the pregame here.  Especially two players like Dugger and Chep, who we needed out there. 

Knot2brite

Wake up calls are sometimes very costly but if they work out in the end then they are worth it. Sometimes a player needs to be put on the bench to get their heads right. This not only sends a message to the two players but to the rest of the team that no group of players are better than the whole team.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

351hog

Quote from: Knot2brite on May 14, 2007, 02:51:25 pm
Wake up calls are sometimes very costly but if they work out in the end then they are worth it. Sometimes a player needs to be put on the bench to get their heads right. This not only sends a message to the two players but to the rest of the team that no group of players are better than the whole team.

I see what you are saying, but do you feel that a series against Bama when we are 1 game from Vandy for the SEC crown is the right place for it?

Knot2brite

yes. There is no time table for making sure that the TEAM is first and foremost.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

demonHOG1013

I think its a great statement. Van Horn is saying I dont care who you are, you are gonna do things the right way or you wont play. Its as simple as that.  Thats the way it needs to be done. Van Horn should be the next AD

champ

I would like to see a rotation of Willard at second Smalling at short, Chep at second Smalling at short then Chep at second and Willard at short during a three game series that way we get three good players in for two games a piece. Dugger has to be the Center fielder though

Juboar

He has done it before and it seems to pay dividends.

My faith in Van Horn remains.. Go hogs.

WhenPigsFly

Did you check out the averages of Dugger and Tschep for SEC play?   They are the lowest hitting of the regulars.......around .240.   I don't think benching them hurt that much.

DOGALUM

Great to see some discipline on the hill.  That's how you build a team.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

TuckFexas

Did you notice the game they played in we didn't score any runs? Saturday we scored 12 runs. Thus, it made sense to go with the same lineup.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

PintailKiller

You do it when it happens.  Seems like the suspensions by Holtz before the Orange Bowl worked out OK.  I have faith that DVH knows what hes doing and it will pay off.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

chiefsfan

Quote from: 351hog on May 14, 2007, 02:54:54 pm
Quote from: Knot2brite on May 14, 2007, 02:51:25 pm

I see what you are saying, but do you feel that a series against Bama when we are 1 game from Vandy for the SEC crown is the right place for it?

Winning isnt everything.

What does that tell everyone, well we would normally bench you, but because we are playing for the SEC title, we'll give you a free pass.   it basically says, you know what, winning is more important then team discipline

If this happens again and we are playing for the National Title, I would still say to bench them.   sorry those are the rules, and thats the breaks.  Its not like our offense didnt respond, we scored 17 runs in the last 2 games...   our pitching is what hurt us Sunday
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

BigDave70

sometimes you just need to sit a player and I think its time to sit Nutt he went 0 for 13 this weekend, I hope to see Julius or Murphree
"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts."  Paul "Bear" Bryant

TuckFexas

Quote from: BigDave70 on May 14, 2007, 07:17:40 pm
sometimes you just need to sit a player and I think its time to sit Nutt he went 0 for 13 this weekend, I hope to see Julius or Murphree

I'd like to see Julius get a few more AB's, but it seems as though he's most productive coming off the bench at this point.
Famous quote.

WilsonHog

Absolutely the right thing to do.

Regardless of who the player is, the message from DVH is the same: do it my way or you won't do it at all.

hogman64

Not questioning it at all........I saw Friday nights game and it looked like Dugger wasnt going all out in centerfield and Tschep has had his problems in the field all year.......

BigDave70

Quote from: hogman64 on May 14, 2007, 11:05:33 pm
Not questioning it at all........I saw Friday nights game and it looked like Dugger wasnt going all out in centerfield and Tschep has had his problems in the field all year.......
Thats why they got benched
"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts."  Paul "Bear" Bryant

rudebaker

dugger has fallen off here of late and i'm fairly certain that chep couldn't hit the broad side of a barn when he has to hurry a throw.  i like willard and smalling for our middle infield.  another thing, if walker fails to touch the ball (which he often has) the first game against ole miss, i say put nutt at catcher and let julius dh.

litmachog

Quote from: DOGALUM on May 14, 2007, 03:59:00 pm
Great to see some discipline on the hill.  That's how you build a team.

Agreed!!!  Keep it up Van Horn.  I respect him for that.

3kgthog

Personally, I like the discipline. It shows the other players that no one is above the team. It would've been nice to see that in basketball with Darian Townes as well as in football with all the lawbreakers that Nutt has given less than a slap on the wrist.

Look at it this way though. At least DVH didn't order a code red.

wholehog92

I completely agree with DVH.  Would you have preferred he wait until the tournament or CWS?  We had a strong position in the west and were pushing Vandy for the conference title and are still doing so with a team that has been shown who calls the shots.  It's a legit question though.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

zebra

I am glad and proud to have a coach who will sit his players to gain their attention. 

Darian Townes, got a slap on the wrist when he walked out on a game, Stan Heath had no backbone. 

Playing time is the biggest motivator for effort! 

Thank you DVH!

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: rudebaker on May 15, 2007, 07:52:40 am
dugger has fallen off here of late and i'm fairly certain that chep couldn't hit the broad side of a barn when he has to hurry a throw.  i like willard and smalling for our middle infield.  another thing, if walker fails to touch the ball (which he often has) the first game against ole miss, i say put nutt at catcher and let julius dh.

Have you seen Nutt catch and throw?   He struggles to get the ball accurately back to the pitcher (not an exaggeration).  Walker needs to play for his defense and he will help on offense occasionally.

hogman64

Everytime Tschep makes a throw from  second base I hold my breath, he really has problems getting it over to first...reminds me of the Dodger second baseman many years ago that all of a sudden couldnt throw the ball to first base without throwing it away half the time... was it Steve Sax?  not sure.... but anyway you just shouldnt have throwing errors from second base , it kills you............

hogman64

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on May 15, 2007, 09:41:27 am

Have you seen Nutt catch and throw?   He struggles to get the ball accurately back to the pitcher (not an exaggeration).  Walker needs to play for his defense and he will help on offense occasionally.

Walker has to play, correct.

zebra

Quote from: hogman64 on May 15, 2007, 09:44:18 am

Everytime Tschep makes a throw from  second base I hold my breath, he really has problems getting it over to first...reminds me of the Dodger second baseman many years ago that all of a sudden couldnt throw the ball to first base without throwing it away half the time... was it Steve Sax?  not sure.... but anyway you just shouldnt have throwing errors from second base , it kills you............

It was Steve Sax, he totally forgot how to throw

TuckFexas

Quote from: hogman64 on May 15, 2007, 09:44:18 am

Don't forget Chuck Knoblauch (sp?)
Famous quote.

HogChic14

I was out of town all weekend.  I was able to get scoring updates while gone but I had not heard anything about Dugger and Chep being benched for some pregrame antics???  What did they do???

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

chiefsfan

Quote from: HogChic14 on May 15, 2007, 12:04:02 pm
I was out of town all weekend.  I was able to get scoring updates while gone but I had not heard anything about Dugger and Chep being benched for some pregrame antics???  What did they do???

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Not really pre game antics, just a lack of hustle in Friday's blowout loss.  Didnt seem like they really cared either way.    Next day they were benched and we won big,  So Sunday DVH decided to leave both on the bench as well.
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

HogChic14

ahhhh i see!  thanks chiefs!
It is good to see DVH take a stand in the discipline department.
That is surprising about Dugger though.  He always seems to be the one who is trying to pump everyone up when we are behind in games, and I always see him over there talking to whoever's on deck, like he's trying give them advice.
Maybe he's over there saying "hey, if you pop up or strike out, who cares?  just look good doing it."  lol

Arkapigdiesel

Quote from: 351hog on May 14, 2007, 02:48:24 pm
I understand that sometimes you have to punish a player if they are loafing around in the pregame...maybe get in their face and yell at them, but you dont sit them during a huge series against Bama.  I mean we are talking about the pregame here.  Especially two players like Dugger and Chep, who we needed out there. 
I don't question a GD thing Van Horn does because he's a winner and I put my trust in him.  We need someone like him running the athletic dept.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

BigDave70

Why Nutt catching and not Walker who is a better player?

PrescottHog

Why not sit Nutt he is O'fer it seems like at the plate these last two series give him a break and then see what he can do

rudebaker

i agree with sitting nutt for a little bit.  he went 0 for 13.  walker makes me mad when he takes that huge, slow (but powerful when he hits it) swing at a ball that doesn't even make it to home plate.  he is a great defensive catcher though.  whatever happened to hrozek, he did a decent job at dh earlier...i hope duggar comes back with a fire under his butt, we need him to be a freshman again.

BigDave70

Quote from: rudebaker on May 16, 2007, 03:56:37 am
i agree with sitting nutt for a little bit.  he went 0 for 13.  walker makes me mad when he takes that huge, slow (but powerful when he hits it) swing at a ball that doesn't even make it to home plate.  he is a great defensive catcher though.  whatever happened to hrozek, he did a decent job at dh earlier...i hope duggar comes back with a fire under his butt, we need him to be a freshman again.
I agree, Hrozek got to the plate 1 time this last weekend in the 9th on sunday and K'd