Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Our bigmen for next year.......

Started by hogzilla3, January 16, 2010, 02:28:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogzilla3

With Washington leaving our inside is going to be bare.  We have two guards coming in next year with a forward. I just don't see us having much of an inside game with what we have in place there now

Hot_Town_Hog

D@mn dude....at least enjoy the effort today for a couple of hours before discussing next year.

HogInThaGrove

Pel still working on some big men for next years class.  They are very good and have potential to have the same impact as Powell is having this year.  I'd take that contribution any day, Powell is the man.

Beaverfever

Dude Powell is probably going to be the best big man we've had in ages.  If Sanchez or Bryant can be a factor next year we'll be alright. 

StubbsGOhogs

Lets just hope we can still get to watch Mr. Powell after this year! He keeps playing like this he could jump ship right to the NBA he has potential lottery pick written all over him

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

Quote from: StubbsGOhogs on January 16, 2010, 03:09:37 pm
Lets just hope we can still get to watch Mr. Powell after this year! He keeps playing like this he could jump ship right to the NBA he has potential lottery pick written all over him
So soon?
Let's wait a year or two before this starts.
ched come back pls

thirtythree

Can't just enjoy the win. have to find something to b!tch about. That's why our fan base is so fickle.

Lanny

Quote from: hogzilla3 on January 16, 2010, 02:28:03 pm
With Washington leaving our inside is going to be bare.  We have two guards coming in next year with a forward. I just don't see us having much of an inside game with what we have in place there now

There aren't any. 
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Breems

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Scott7703

Quote from: Lanny on January 16, 2010, 03:15:00 pm
There aren't any. 

You my friend will be/are incorrect. Sit back and watch.

elksnort

I just can't see a 6'10' 170lbs kid playing for a peranneal (sp) loser school in the Jonesboro metroplex making a difference. Sorrry, I just got Jason Jennings going through my brain....

cardinalandwhite

Maybe if he were 6'10"
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

Marshawn is necessarily a true "big man", I mean he's big, but he isn't Center size, but sure as hell plays like one. I think he will be our "big man."
ched come back pls

elksnort

The NBA needs to go to h8ll. What a freaikin waste.

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

Quote from: elksnort on January 16, 2010, 03:29:39 pm
The NBA needs to go to h8ll. What a freaikin waste.
That is the 100%, unfiltered truth, my friend. +1
ched come back pls

Hogimus Prime

Marshawn Powell is a forward.   We need a true "big man" for next year or we will be dead in the water.

Hot_Town_Hog

January 16, 2010, 04:05:35 pm #18 Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 04:13:11 pm by Hot_Town_Hog
Quote from: Hogimus Prime on January 16, 2010, 03:42:30 pm
Marshawn Powell is a forward.   We need a true "big man" for next year or we will be dead in the water.

Who was our true big man in '94? And don't say Robinson or Wilson, because they did not dominate inside. It was Corliss, who is not as tall as Powell.

hogfan98

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on January 16, 2010, 04:05:35 pm
Who was our true big man in '94? And don't say Robinson or Wilson, because they were not dominate inside. It was Corliss, who is not as tall as Powell.

Corliss is not at tall as Powell but Big Nasty is wider, stronger and knew how to use his body on the inside, plus Big Nasty had a center that was a good 3pt shooter and that pulled the other team's big man outside.

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

ched come back pls

ge-erdone

January 16, 2010, 04:28:59 pm #22 Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 04:51:50 pm by ge-erdone
Quote from: Lanny on January 16, 2010, 03:15:00 pm
There aren't any.
With his agility, just watch Mr. Johnson develop, and be a force next year.

I think his footwork is very good now, but he needs to get stronger and more experience.

IMO, he does have very good potential.

Hot_Town_Hog

Just for curiosity sake, who was the last true center at Arkansas that was a force?

Mr.Mabry

Powell and Corliss are day and night different.

Powell will be a good player, but he's not Corliss.

Replace Corliss with Powell on the 94-96 team and think about it.

Powell will be a well recognized name in Razorback history before all is said and done.

Corliss is remembered and loved by all Hog fans.

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: Mr.Mabry on January 16, 2010, 04:37:57 pm

Powell will be a well recognized name in Razorback history before all is said and done.

Before anyone jumps to the wrong conclusion, I was not by any stretch stating Powell was another Corliss. Just pointing out that we have never been a Georgetown type team, and I can not recall many/any dominant true centers at Arkansas in recent memory.

Mr.Mabry

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on January 16, 2010, 04:43:49 pm
Before anyone jumps to the wrong conclusion, I was not by any stretch stating Powell was another Corliss. Just pointing out that we have never been a Georgetown type team, and I can not recall many/any dominant true centers at Arkansas in recent memory.

Actually, I wasn't thinking that you were wrong thinking Powell could be a great one.

With a great center or big swing man Powell would be deadly and so would Rotnie.

chiefsfan

Marshawn Powell is a forward.   We need a true "big man" for next year or we will be dead in the water.

Pelphreys teams are built to not rely on the true big man.   He's going to want to recruit another player like Powell
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

ge-erdone

Quote from: JeanClaudeVanHam on January 16, 2010, 04:30:10 pm
The only way Johnson will delevop anything "force" wise, will be if he becomes a jedi. He could be a solid player next year. Not a force.
Solid playing is good, very good, from a big man, especially if he rebounds and can finish inside shots.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on January 16, 2010, 04:36:22 pm
Just for curiosity sake, who was the last true center at Arkansas that was a force?
Big O

razorhead94

Waithe will definitely help next year.  He has the same frame as washington.  I would expect pel to sign another big in the spring as well.  I think it will be ok.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on January 16, 2010, 04:55:30 pm
Big O

Last I can remember as well....which was 20 years ago....I will take Powell as our main threat inside and not think twice about it.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: chiefsfan on January 16, 2010, 04:52:59 pm
Pelphreys teams are built to not rely on the true big man.   He's going to want to recruit another player like Powell

Either way Pel needs to get a big man with some size on him.

BigMikehogg

Whatever happend to Anthony Borden?Is there still a possible chance he comes to Arkansas?

GuvHog

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on January 16, 2010, 05:05:20 pm
Last I can remember as well....which was 20 years ago....I will take Powell as our main threat inside and not think twice about it.

Before him there was a dominant 7 footer named Kleine, but that was in the Eddie Sutton era.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Danny J

Quote from: Mr.Mabry on January 16, 2010, 04:37:57 pm

I think the differences between corliss and marshawn are smaller than you think. Corliss was only one inch smaller but really made up for it in pure muscle and tree trunk legs. Corliss had very soft hands and great footwork. I can say exactly the same thing about marshawn. Both play/played with great emotion, run the floor very well and conditioning is beyond great. Marshawn can work in the weightroom until the cows come home and never be as broad as corliss but marshawn sure reminds me alot of him.

rude1

Quote from: HogInThaGrove on January 16, 2010, 02:36:38 pm
Pel still working on some big men for next years class.  They are very good and have potential to have the same impact as Powell is having this year.  I'd take that contribution any day, Powell is the man.
Right. Get ready for Delvon Johnson part two. After he whiffs on the top guys on his list.

Danny J

We need a 6'10" guy who can block shots, block out and rebound

rude1

Slow your role here now. Powell is developing into a beast in the college game. But his game does not translate well to the NBA. A 6'7" guy who can't handle the ball that well or shoot it consistently with range, isn't going to play at the next level. He can't get to the basket at the next level because of the size of the players he would be matched against.

Knot2brite

Powell better learn to play better defense. He looks around too much and is a step behind his man half the time.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Danny J

Quote from: Hawg2011 on January 17, 2010, 12:02:21 am
The years of "Big Men" are done in college basketball, at least at this time. Most teams are going with smaller faster guys.
I agree. Teams are really wanting to pay uptempo these days. There are still several teams that play that slow down half court game but they are fading fast. Not too many demarcus cousins out there who are the total package.

LittleRockHog81

Michael Washington is a power forward.  We need two "true big men" (starter and back-up) or centers.  Powell will be the man like Corliss was the man, but Corliss had a center who could shoot threes - Dwight Stewart.  Steve Schall was a 6'11" center but Sidney was "the man".  May-Day had the Big-O.  Heath had Stephen Hill.  A center would be necessary to take the pressure off Powell.

Iwastherein1969

the two top ranked teams in the country have multiple dominant BIG MEN ....look at Texas and Kentucky...pretty obvious to me`
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: BigMikehogg on January 16, 2010, 07:23:48 pm
Whatever happend to Anthony Borden?Is there still a possible chance he comes to Arkansas?

He is in Prep School (not sure where) so they will have him next year...if he resigns.

Does anybody know where exactly?

6ft 11 and expected to grow.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Hawg2011 on January 17, 2010, 01:04:53 am
As was stated earlier, Demarcus Cousins is not your typical big man. He's a freak.

Also who is Texas's big man? Dexter Pittman?? Please, Damion James runs that team and he's a 6'7 G/F hybrid, which is what most of the dominant teams are looking for these days.

Yeah it's great to have that big bruiser to wear your opponent down some, but the numbers that James has shows he's the main source of UT's offense.
and your weak BS about how UK doesn't have multiple big men  next
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Danny J

Quote from: HawgnCorona on January 17, 2010, 01:34:17 am
He is in Prep School (not sure where) so they will have him next year...if he resigns.

Does anybody know where exactly?

6ft 11 and expected to grow.
He is at best a project. We need someone to contribute right away to replace washington.

Danny J

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 17, 2010, 01:38:10 am
and your weak BS about how UK doesn't have multiple big men  next
Totally agree. Orten, cousins, patterson...I would take that ANY day of the week.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: headhawg7 on January 17, 2010, 01:41:09 am
He is at best a project. We need someone to contribute right away to replace washington.

Yeah, I know he is a project. To the question about the lack of a true "big man" he would be "it"...The problem is I dont see anyone among our coaches (except Barnes) that could bring (develop) him along. Big men are notorious for take awhile to develop. But that is one of the reasons he is at prep school.

That said Delvan, Waithe and hopefully Ratliffe(sp?) will be the ones we will have to settle for.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

Danny J

Quote from: HawgnCorona on January 17, 2010, 02:16:11 am
Yeah, I know he is a project. To the question about the lack of a true "big man" he would be "it"...The problem is I dont see anyone among our coaches (except Barnes) that could bring (develop) him along. Big men are notorious for take awhile to develop. But that is one of the reasons he is at prep school.

That said Delvan, Waithe and hopefully Ratliffe(sp?) will be the ones we will have to settle for.
I think we need a player and should be able to get a player along the lines of a daniel orten. He is a very big body, shot blocker, blocks out and rebounds very well. I am not sure there are very many players who have not yet comitted along those lines.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: headhawg7 on January 17, 2010, 02:23:14 am
I think we need a player and should be able to get a player along the lines of a daniel orten. He is a very big body, shot blocker, blocks out and rebounds very well. I am not sure there are very many players who have not yet comitted along those lines.

I hear you on that...but with what we are lining up in the next year and beyond with this current staff, I dont see it happening. I guess I am okay with not have a true big man, but not if you are going to have a lot small guards.

At least with the big guards you make it more difficult out on the perimeter to make that pass inside and shot over.