Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I know nothing about softball

Started by SardisHog, May 13, 2022, 07:15:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SardisHog

is it unusual for the pitcher to throw 139 pitches in a 7 inning game?  Seems like a lot.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."<br />- Robin Williams

Sow’sEar

Quote from: SardisHog on May 13, 2022, 07:15:03 amis it unusual for the pitcher to throw 139 pitches in a 7 inning game?  Seems like a lot.
its probably a touch high, but not unheard of.  Keep in mind a softball pitcher's motion isn't near as rough on an arm as a baseball pitcher's motion.  More of a natural movement.  You wouldn't do that to a baseball pitcher but in softball it's not necessarily a big thing. 

Sow’sEar

To add on to what I said above:  in baseball a pitcher who threw like that would be on the shelf for 4-5 days.  Not in softball.  While Haff probably won't play today.  It's not outside the realm of possibility that she can be used if needed. And she will absolutely be available for championship Saturday if the Hogs can win today. 

JacketFan

Fast pitch motion has no wear and tear on the arm as a over hand throw has.  The Tennessee pitcher threw 13 innings and 161 pitches yesterday in their win over Mississippi State.

LadybackBBFan

A pitcher legs Wear out long before their arms Or should I say tire out

SardisHog

Obviously what you guys are telling me it's not as hard on the rotator cuff as what I would think with that motion. Thanks guys.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."<br />- Robin Williams

MrKlem10

As long as the mechanics are good, it is a natural motion of the arm falling and wrist/forearm snapping.  Doesn't have the deceleration of an overhand throw that causes the most damage

flippinhogmana

Quote from: SardisHog on May 13, 2022, 09:43:35 amObviously what you guys are telling me it's not as hard on the rotator cuff as what I would think with that motion. Thanks guys.

No (you have correctly devined), the shortstop probably gets the most torque on her rotator cuff in a typical game, not the pitcher because some throws still have to be made with velocity and overhand.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Jahog20

Quote from: SardisHog on May 13, 2022, 07:15:03 amis it unusual for the pitcher to throw 139 pitches in a 7 inning game?  Seems like a lot.

Fairly typical.  My daughter pitched 8 games in one day when she was 13.  That was a tournament in June heat.  We fought back through the losers bracket to go to the championship. I almost pulled her in the last inning of the championship game.   She promised me she could finish it.  I left her in and she shut them down AND got a walk off double to win it.

She ended up playing all through high school, pitching most of it (winning lots of awards). Never any shoulder trouble.  However, she did have a back injury that she fought through all 4 years.

Unfortunately, as a 2020 HS grad, covid ruined her senior year. I remember talking to her before her final game started...she had a feeling that was it for her career as NBA and such were shutting down. 

Very emotional day for us. Actually getting emotional just writing this now.

codeHog

The great pitcher for Washington,  who we will face next week, has thrown 300 pitches this weekend and given up one run

Hereford

Quote from: codeHog on May 22, 2022, 08:35:54 pmThe great pitcher for Washington,  who we will face next week, has thrown 300 pitches this weekend and given up one run

Not looking like we'll play her but the games not over yet, by the way it takes her forever to pitch the ball, drags the game out forever

You also have to really watch her back foot cause she's a bad crow hopper.

RebelliousHog

Quote from: codeHog on May 22, 2022, 08:35:54 pmThe great pitcher for Washington,  who we will face next week, has thrown 300 pitches this weekend and given up one run

Pulling for Tejas
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Jahog20

codeHog

I am pulling AGAINST the Pac 12

JacketFan

tophawg19

I can't remember which team it was but 1 girl pitched most all the games for her team in the tournament. last yeatr
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

psycHOGlogist

Lots of teams do that, actually. In crunch time, you go with your ace and put the team entirely on her back. I believe Dolcini pitched 3 out of the 4 games for Texas at their regional. That's right around 300 pitches in 24 hours or so. 

And I don't expect anyone else to pitch for them this weekend in Bogle, unless we just shellac her and games get out of hand.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: tophawg19 on May 22, 2022, 11:12:43 pmI can't remember which team it was but 1 girl pitched most all the games for her team in the tournament. last yeatr
I think you are remembering Wichita State back in 2019 - I believe - she through about 300 pitches.

Jahog20

Quote from: tophawg19 on May 22, 2022, 11:12:43 pmI can't remember which team it was but 1 girl pitched most all the games for her team in the tournament. last yeatr

James Madison last year

Jahog20

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on May 23, 2022, 10:03:52 amI think you are remembering Wichita State back in 2019 - I believe - she through about 300 pitches.

Several did that yesterday