Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The two dumbest 4th down decisions I've seen in my life...

Started by hogpc, November 23, 2012, 05:17:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorNick

I agree, we had nothing to lose and were at home. Should have won that game. Good riddance JLS.

Boarcephus

I can understand the calls.  Huge difference between winding up 5-7 and 4-8.  ;)

I think those two call epitomizes the whole frigging season.  I am by no means advocating we clean house on the staff but we definitely need new blood running the show.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

McHogLovin

Quote from: RazorNick on November 24, 2012, 04:32:46 am
I agree, we had nothing to lose and were at home. Should have won that game. Good riddance JLS.

JLS...and company.  They deserve just as much blame as he does.  A lot. 

McHogLovin

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 24, 2012, 07:02:42 am
I can understand the calls.  Huge difference between winding up 5-7 and 4-8.  ;)

I think those two call epitomizes the whole frigging season.  I am by no means advocating we clean house on the staff but we definitely need new blood running the show.

The house will be cleaned and the beds made.  Bobby Allen will be lucky to keep his job even with the boys.  I think you keep Horton til Tenpenny signs and then let him go.  Our recruiting has been sub par and he's in charge of that department.  Not sure why so many think he needs to stay on staff.

Boarcephus

I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Pig In The City

Yes, the second one (4th and 4) for sure is unsupportable.  But it is OVER thankfully.  I"m not sure I could handle another game with the clown and pony show in high gear. 

188fw_FyngRzrbk

Quote from: westside_player on November 23, 2012, 05:27:42 pm
They weren't bad decisions. 4th and 4 was a 50/50 shot at best. In a high scoring game maybe you go for it, but not there.

The field goal was not bad b/c we were going to have to have more than 7 to win it, we might as well of taken the field goal there.

When you have nothing to lose and nothing, other than pride, to play for, you go for it in those situations.  Success with one of them would have lit a spark that could have motivated the team to exert more effort and play with fire for the remainder of the game.  JLS, for once, wanted to play chess - waaaaay to late for that.  We didn't leave everything on the field which is a very fitting way for this season to end.
Be professional, be courteous, be polite and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Cartoon Man

Jack Crowe is not the worst coach Arkansas has ever had.   You Mr. Smith get that award.   Congrats and goodbye.  I hope I am about to awake from this nightmare of a season.

tbhogfan

Quote from: AR Taco04 on November 23, 2012, 05:42:26 pm
Guys... we're 4-7... we had so much on the line there!!!

I am sure that was John L's attitude as well.   
Go Hogs!

Hogman2

WINNERS play to win! LOSERS like JLS well......you saw it ALL SEASON LONG.....LOSE!

3of5-2

I hope JLS never gets another job ever. I hope he is forced to live under a bridge somewhere up north in the freezing cold for the rest of his miserable life.

31to6

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on November 23, 2012, 11:39:55 pm
If you kick the field goal you still have to score a TD to win.  If we get the TD the game is tied and we have all of the momentum.  If we don't make it LSU is pinned inside their one.  There is absolutely no logical reason for kicking that field goal.  No rational reason to not go for the TD.  I was YELLING, "TIME OUT!!!  TIME OUT!!! Our coach doesn't mean it!  He is really not this stupid!"  Well, turns out he is.
I saw a quote that summed it up perfectly:

"I've never seen a 4-7 coach play "not to lose football".... while losing."

31to6

Quote from: AR Taco04 on November 23, 2012, 05:42:26 pm
Guys... we're 4-7... we had so much on the line there!!!
It's never a bad year to beat LSU.

Huckleberry Pig

It shocks me how many people are okay with punting the ball on 4th and 4 from LSU's 40 with 5 minutes left on the clock.  You are already in no mans land (too far for a field goal and you don't get much from punting the ball). I could understand if we are winning or on our half of the field but when you're losing and time is becoming an issue you DO NOT punt.

And somehow the field goal on 4th and goal from the half yard line was an even worse call.

Feel terrible for our players, we had nothing to lose and the coaches still had no balls.  Embarrassing.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MiHogsMi on November 23, 2012, 05:25:06 pm
Totally agree. 

Should have gone for the TD.

WE WOULD HAVE WON IT WITH A LAST SECOND FG!!

LEAVE SMITH, LEAVE!

He came to paint.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi