Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN Decline in Subscribers Means What?

Started by HawgWild, February 10, 2016, 02:37:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

February 10, 2016, 02:37:07 pm Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 02:48:04 pm by HawgWild
I read in today's paper that ESPN has 7.2 million fewer subscribers today than it did 3 years ago. Several months ago I recall reading that somewhere between $7.00 to $8.00 of every cable/satellite monthly bill went to ESPN. A survey conducted last fall showed that if ESPN costs were $8.00 monthly, between 40 to 50% of cable/satellite subscribers would eliminate ESPN from their package if they could..

Clearly, this will impact Disney's bottom line and it has. But, does this spill over into college and professional sports? Will we see a reduction in the money paid to colleges for sports or have the bigger conferences protected themselves from this with their own networks - SEC, Big10, etc. Will professional salaries finally top  out and perhaps decline?

Or, does ESPN cut out all the fringe sports and just focus on the NBA, NFL, MLB and NCAA FB & BB?

hog.goblin

I dropped ESPN right after the bowl games.  Plan to pick it back up in August.  :)

HawgWild

Interesting reads. He doesn't address the potential impact on professional salaries as this revenue stream declines either. There's a bubble here for sure. Just don't know when it will burst.

HawgWild

ESPN's best case estimates still show a 1% decline in subscribers annually going into the future. No way they can renew all those rights at the current levels. I'm guessing that we'll be seeing more pay per view in the future.

DeltaBoy

ESPN needs to return to reporting on Sports news.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.