Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Big Short movie

Started by ricepig, December 27, 2015, 05:51:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Have you seen it, what did you think? I saw it the other night, was pretty good and gave a decent insight to the CDO debacle and the creation of the credit default swap market.

McKdaddy

My initial thought was that I didn't want to re-live '08 -- the books "All the Devils are Here" and "Too Big to Fail" at times made the hair stand up on my neck. But The Big Short is getting such good reviews that I'm re-thinking it.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

ricepig

Quote from: McKdaddy on December 27, 2015, 06:03:33 pm
My initial thought was that I didn't want to re-live '08 -- the books "All the Devils are Here" and "Too Big to Fail" at times made the hair stand up on my neck. But The Big Short is getting such good reviews that I'm re-thinking it.

It's a little slow at times and has a semi-documentary feel to it as Ryan Gosling's character talks to the audience in it. I didn't know about Michael Burry, so I found that very interesting.

HawgWild

New York magazine had a good interview with the director. He wanted to use comedy to educate the general public about a "boring" topic. I read the book and liked it. Will definitely be seeing the movie.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/11/the-big-short-c-v-r.html

Horsesrus

I liked it a lot.  I am in the industry so that made it easier to follow.  Someone with no financial background wouldn't enjoy it as much in my opinion.

PEtrader

Loved the book,  will go see it.
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

PEtrader

Quote from: PEtrader on December 28, 2015, 10:46:58 pm
Loved the book,  will go see it.

Saw it last night, and it was awesome.
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

HawgWild

Finally got around to watching it last night. Good movie. It does a good job in attempting to explain a very complex subject.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Horsesrus on December 28, 2015, 01:33:35 pm
I liked it a lot.  I am in the industry so that made it easier to follow.  Someone with no financial background wouldn't enjoy it as much in my opinion.
yeah, I appreciated it that they tried to teach the general public all these industry terms, but keeping it all straight was tough.

I really liked the scene where Brad Pitt admonished to two guys celebrating the housing market collapsing, thus making them money.

PP