Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Worst turkey season evah.........

Started by pseudorabies, April 30, 2015, 08:41:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pseudorabies

We have land NW of Clarksville, Lavaca, Booneville, White Rock, Magazine Mt, on the Mulberry, and Ozark. I haven't worked so hard hunting turkeys as I have this season with almost no results.  During the youth hunt they were gobbling hard and heavy, once the season opened, nothing.  I've only seen 1 gobbler, 2 jakes, and a hen.  The only reason I saw them is I almost hit them with my truck in the middle of the afternoon.  We've been all over and haven't heard anything.  It has to have something to do with the G&F pushing the season back. 

I have buddies down in Mena and they have been slaughtering them but around the RV it's been brutal.  Curious to see how everyone else is doing this year. 

ARoutdoorsman

Same here. I think they were just about done at the start of the youth season. If a man can get on them right off the roost he has a shot, but after about 15 minutes off the roost they are done. Think a man would have better luck trying it around 2 or 3 in the afternoon the way the toms are acting. Way, way too many hens now a day too if you ask me.

mr4pt

I can't speak any words of wisdom on this topic. With the new job I haven't had time to go but once, on opening day. I didn't scout, didn't listen pre-season, didn't do squat to prepare. As a matter of fact I wasn't even going to go until my son called me the Friday night before opening day. We ended up going to a place neither of us had ever stepped foot on, wasn't even sure there were turkeys there.

Luck is a huge part of my strategy.

mr4pt

He never made a sound till 9 am, we had given up and headed back to the truck. One last call 100 yds from truck made him hammer. He gobbled at 9, we loaded him in truck at 9:09

Spikes

First week of the season they hammered Saturday and Sunday then became like a ghost.  Last week they stsrted hammering back like Crazy. Was one of the best turkey season we had in North East Arkansas.  We killed 3 birds, 9 1/2, 10 1/2 and a 11 inch

Seem like the season came in about a week early this year

Spikes
You only have one life, so you better enjoy it!

CPO Hog

I have a nice size gobbler that stops by for dinner every evening. I put birdseed on the table. This pic was taken form my bathroom window.

ThisTeetsTaken

Went this past Saturday morning.  Heard one gobble on the roost.  Set up with a buddy calling about 40 yds behind me.  Tom got down and started towards us gobbling all the way.  Got within 50 yds and I got a glimpse of his head but it would have taken his fan with it had I shot and it was also pretty thick between him and I so I waited for him to clear some leaves and expose himself.  I take the safety off and have my barrel up waiting for him when all of a sudden he took off down the side of the hill running and I couldn't get a shot off. I look back at where he was and there are 4 does standing there!  The big doe with her ears up looking for us.  I could have shot her in the face!  We had that gobbler coming in on a string until the deer showed up.  My buddy saw them coming but couldn't say anything or else scare the turkey off.  He said he was muttering under his breath "shoot, shoot". So close!  That Tom was seconds from being mine.  I still count it as a good hunt though just didn't bring home the meat.  Bad luck you could say. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***