Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs get more respect. D1baseball.com Top 25

Started by ThisTeetsTaken, January 16, 2018, 09:12:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

dotnet

8 SEC teams are ranked in the top 16.  It will not end the regular season that way.  Its almost impossible, because you can't win enough games to be ranked that high if you have that many good teams.  Inevitably there will be teams from lesser (ie. every other conference) who will win more games and be ranked higher. 

Ranked opponents include:

Texas (21) -2
Kentucky (8) -3
Florida (1) - 3
Ole Miss (9) - 3
Miss State (12) - 3
Tex Tceh (3) - 2
LSU (16) - 3
A&M (10) - 3

That is a 3rd of the pre season ranked teams on the schedule. 

Non Ranked SEC Opponents:

Auburn - likely to be ranked at some point
USCe - likely to be ranked at some point
Alabama
Georgia

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: dotnet on January 16, 2018, 10:56:24 am
8 SEC teams are ranked in the top 16.  It will not end the regular season that way.  Its almost impossible, because you can't win enough games to be ranked that high if you have that many good teams.  Inevitably there will be teams from lesser (ie. every other conference) who will win more games and be ranked higher. 

Ranked opponents include:

Texas (21) -2
Kentucky (8) -3
Florida (1) - 3
Ole Miss (9) - 3
Miss State (12) - 3
Tex Tceh (3) - 2
LSU (16) - 3
A&M (10) - 3

That is a 3rd of the pre season ranked teams on the schedule. 

Non Ranked SEC Opponents:

Auburn - likely to be ranked at some point
USCe - likely to be ranked at some point
Alabama
Georgia

It's a great (tough) schedule for sure.    I'll bet Georgia is going to be pretty good this year.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogfan14

TexasRazorback

Quote from: hogfan14 on January 17, 2018, 11:14:20 am
You have to have a subscription, but D1Baseball has an in-depth preview of the team.

https://d1baseball.com/season-preview/top-25-breakdown-no-4-arkansas/

Does anyone have a subscription that can copy and paste the breakdown here?

ucahogfan

Quote from: TexasRazorback on January 17, 2018, 02:32:40 pm
Does anyone have a subscription that can copy and paste the breakdown here?
Isn't that against the rules?

I do have a subscription with D1, but don't feel comfortable with copying and pasting premium material.

ucahogfan

Just a quick overview of the article by D1.

They breakdown the different areas of the team on the 20-80 scouting scale   The areas of the team they break down are:

Hitting
Power
Speed
Defense
Starting Pitching
Relief Pitching
Intangibles

The top grades for the Hogs went to defense and intangibles (which I agree with) while the only non-plus grade they gave out was to our team speed, but they did say our team speed was deceiving.

The lineup they had listed down as starting was what most people have had except Kjerstad as a regular over Evan Lee.  We might have the most powerful lineup in the country in terms of what power grade they had out even with losing Spanberger.  Our 59 HRs returning is probably the most of any top 25 team.  To put it in perspective, that would essentially have been a top 50 figure in the country in terms of team HRs last year.  This team will probably hit 80+ as a team this year.  Fletcher could hit 20 HRs while Koch, Bonfield, Shaddy, and Gates should all hit double digit HRs.  It is always hard to predict true freshmen, but Kjerstad being the best hitter this fall is huge especially considering a top 20 offense returns 7 full time guys including at least 3 players (Koch, Fletcher, Biggers) who are projected to be top 3-4 round type picks.  Biggers and Cole are both solid options and could hit 5-10 HRs this year.  3B is the biggest question mark, but it will either be an elite defender (Kenley) or Martin who can be a 30+ SB threat.

Defensively, this looks to be easily the best unit under DVH.  Fletcher is elite in CF, Biggers is elite at SS, and Koch is elite behind the plate.  Those are the three most important positions to be great at defensively.  Shaddy improved greatly and Cole showed to be an excellent defender last year.

On the mound, there is a lot to like with this staff.  You have two potential first round picks this year in Knight and Campbell leading the rotation.  Knight is the proven commodity with a 90-95 MPH fastball, plus offspeed, and excellent command.  The first report of Campbell sitting 95-96 in his first action this spring is encouraging.  Very few teams have a Saturday guy who can hit mid 90s and it sounds like his offspeed and command are there as well.  Murphy gives you a lot of experience as the potential Sunday starter as well as a guy who generates a lot of swings and misses.  McKinney is a potential option once he reaches full strength from TJ surgery.

In the pen, there are a lot of talented arms to like out there.  Losing Kopps hurts, but having Reindl as the leader out there is huge.  He has added some velo since last year and will be more 90-94 rather than 88-92 like he was last year.  Cronin is 90-94 with a good curve.  Lee has been sitting 92-95 this fall with a good curve.  Loseke can be 90-96 with good offspeed, but the command is lacking.  Bonnin and Rutledge are two true freshmen who throw 93+ with good offspeed.  There will not be a lack of velo on display with this staff this year.

Can the season already start?

SPAL

Quote from: ucahogfan on January 20, 2018, 04:15:29 pm
Isn't that against the rules?

I do have a subscription with D1, but don't feel comfortable with copying and pasting premium material.

If you copy and paste the entire article, I'll have to get rid of it. But you can post the synopsis of it with a link.

Hogwop

Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

TexasRazorback

Quote from: ucahogfan on January 20, 2018, 04:34:45 pm
Just a quick overview of the article by D1.

They breakdown the different areas of the team on the 20-80 scouting scale   The areas of the team they break down are:

Hitting
Power
Speed
Defense
Starting Pitching
Relief Pitching
Intangibles

The top grades for the Hogs went to defense and intangibles (which I agree with) while the only non-plus grade they gave out was to our team speed, but they did say our team speed was deceiving.

The lineup they had listed down as starting was what most people have had except Kjerstad as a regular over Evan Lee.  We might have the most powerful lineup in the country in terms of what power grade they had out even with losing Spanberger.  Our 59 HRs returning is probably the most of any top 25 team.  To put it in perspective, that would essentially have been a top 50 figure in the country in terms of team HRs last year.  This team will probably hit 80+ as a team this year.  Fletcher could hit 20 HRs while Koch, Bonfield, Shaddy, and Gates should all hit double digit HRs.  It is always hard to predict true freshmen, but Kjerstad being the best hitter this fall is huge especially considering a top 20 offense returns 7 full time guys including at least 3 players (Koch, Fletcher, Biggers) who are projected to be top 3-4 round type picks.  Biggers and Cole are both solid options and could hit 5-10 HRs this year.  3B is the biggest question mark, but it will either be an elite defender (Kenley) or Martin who can be a 30+ SB threat.

Defensively, this looks to be easily the best unit under DVH.  Fletcher is elite in CF, Biggers is elite at SS, and Koch is elite behind the plate.  Those are the three most important positions to be great at defensively.  Shaddy improved greatly and Cole showed to be an excellent defender last year.

On the mound, there is a lot to like with this staff.  You have two potential first round picks this year in Knight and Campbell leading the rotation.  Knight is the proven commodity with a 90-95 MPH fastball, plus offspeed, and excellent command.  The first report of Campbell sitting 95-96 in his first action this spring is encouraging.  Very few teams have a Saturday guy who can hit mid 90s and it sounds like his offspeed and command are there as well.  Murphy gives you a lot of experience as the potential Sunday starter as well as a guy who generates a lot of swings and misses.  McKinney is a potential option once he reaches full strength from TJ surgery.

In the pen, there are a lot of talented arms to like out there.  Losing Kopps hurts, but having Reindl as the leader out there is huge.  He has added some velo since last year and will be more 90-94 rather than 88-92 like he was last year.  Cronin is 90-94 with a good curve.  Lee has been sitting 92-95 this fall with a good curve.  Loseke can be 90-96 with good offspeed, but the command is lacking.  Bonnin and Rutledge are two true freshmen who throw 93+ with good offspeed.  There will not be a lack of velo on display with this staff this year.

Thanks bud, I too cant wait for the season to start. LETS GO

HogFansReunited

My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: ucahogfan on January 20, 2018, 04:34:45 pm
  Cronin is 90-94 with a good curve.  Lee has been sitting 92-95 this fall with a good curve. 

Cronin is the young guy that I think could be a "dude" for us.  He had some freshman yips last year but when he has it going between the ears he looks really good to me.   

dotnet

They released their pre-season all americans. 

Grant Koch is third team.  Knight is omitted.

#fakenews

https://d1baseball.com/awards/2018-d1baseball-preseason-all-americans/

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on January 23, 2018, 09:46:27 am
They released their pre-season all americans. 

Grant Koch is third team.  Knight is omitted.

#fakenews

https://d1baseball.com/awards/2018-d1baseball-preseason-all-americans/
I think Kendall Rogers and the team over at D1 are excellent, but that is ridiculous.  Jackson Kowar is on the 3rd team and he had an ERA over 4.00 last year.  Knight's ERA was almost a full run better, but Kowar might be a top 10 pick which is why he is on the list.  Also don't understand the love affair with Sean Hjelle at UK who was the SEC Pitcher of the Year last year with a season ERA nearing 4.00.

jbell96

Quote from: ucahogfan on January 23, 2018, 07:57:36 pm
I think Kendall Rogers and the team over at D1 are excellent, but that is ridiculous.  Jackson Kowar is on the 3rd team and he had an ERA over 4.00 last year.  Knight's ERA was almost a full run better, but Kowar might be a top 10 pick which is why he is on the list.  Also don't understand the love affair with Sean Hjelle at UK who was the SEC Pitcher of the Year last year with a season ERA nearing 4.00.

I also have an issue with Biggers not being 2nd or 3rd team AA. Eierman deserves to be 1st team, but I'd definitely take Biggers over the guys they put at SS for 2nd and 3rd team.

BroyledNutts

All American honors are great ... but I'll do without them if the trade off can be building a case for a National Title Trophy ... it's way beyond time for there to be a pad in center field that says CWS National Champions.

ucahogfan

Quote from: jbell96 on January 24, 2018, 11:28:44 am
I also have an issue with Biggers not being 2nd or 3rd team AA. Eierman deserves to be 1st team, but I'd definitely take Biggers over the guys they put at SS for 2nd and 3rd team.
Biggers definitely should have been given AA honors over Hoerner.  He had a much better BA, OBP, and SLG and only committed one more error although errors can depend a lot on the scorer's judgment as well.

ucahogfan

Quote from: BroyledNutts on January 24, 2018, 04:40:17 pm
All American honors are great ... but I'll do without them if the trade off can be building a case for a National Title Trophy ... it's way beyond time for there to be a pad in center field that says CWS National Champions.
But having All-Americans, and multiple All-Americans, typically means you have a team that is competing for a National Title.  If you look at this team, it is probably the best up the middle team in the country and I don't think it is really up for debate.

You have a pre-season AA catcher in Grant Koch who could be the first college C taken in the draft this year.  He is skilled both offensively and defensively.  Biggers is an AA candidate at SS who stabilizes our INF defense and could be a top 3-4 round pick this year.  Shaddy is an AA candidate at 2B if he basically replicates his RS Sophomore season and provides veteran leadership which is invaluable.  Fletcher is an elite defender in CF who was a freshman AA and has a lot of pop in his bat.  I expect we will see him on most top 50 2019 draft prospects this year.

Mr.Gruntastic

I got laughed at in another thread saying we had potential to have several AA on this team. 

southarkhog06

Quote from: Mr.Gruntastic on January 25, 2018, 12:29:55 am
I got laughed at in another thread saying we had potential to have several AA on this team.
1. No one laughed at you, one person just pointed out how loaded the SEC is this year.

2. You didn't say we had potential to have several AA, you said we have potential to have AA at every position.

Mr.Gruntastic

As many publications that select AA and freshman AA teams. 

Koch, Knight, Fletcher, Biggers, Shady are the best bets to earn AA honors

Cole has potential.  He had a hell of a second half of the season.  He might not make 1-3 team AA, but he could get a honorable mention

Herjstad could be a freshman AA if he can carry from fall to regular season. 

Turney could produce as a DH until healthy.  Has the tools to be another Freshman AA

Bonfield could have his best year as a DH.  Potential AA numbers? 

That leaves 1st n 3rd as question marks.  I don't believe Kinley will make any AA teams, but Martin sounds promising.  Potential Freshman AA?  Guess that depends on who gets the nod over at 3rd.

1st base between Gates and McFarland.  Unsure.  Gates had a decent year coming off an injury, and McFarland might have a break out year.  Took Spanberger 3 yrs til he lived up to expectations. 

I know potential is a hell of a word and you have to produce to live up to it, but if anybody is gonna get it out of this group.  It'll be DVH

Oh yeah, and potentially Evan Lee

Mr.Gruntastic

BroyledNutts

Quote from: ucahogfan on January 24, 2018, 10:45:54 pm
But having All-Americans, and multiple All-Americans, typically means you have a team that is competing for a National Title.  If you look at this team, it is probably the best up the middle team in the country and I don't think it is really up for debate.

You have a pre-season AA catcher in Grant Koch who could be the first college C taken in the draft this year.  He is skilled both offensively and defensively.  Biggers is an AA candidate at SS who stabilizes our INF defense and could be a top 3-4 round pick this year.  Shaddy is an AA candidate at 2B if he basically replicates his RS Sophomore season and provides veteran leadership which is invaluable.  Fletcher is an elite defender in CF who was a freshman AA and has a lot of pop in his bat.  I expect we will see him on most top 50 2019 draft prospects this year.

While this is true, I personally don't need D1's, or any other media's, blessing of our players to know their abilities are All American in nature. They show it every time they take the field.

These AA lists are more aligned with the Hypesman Award in my eyes ... nothing more than preseason popularity contests. It does more to highlight who these media outlets will pimp all year, than it does to categorize talent among peers.

I don't dispute your take on this, UCA, I'm just so jaded at this point against these people I don't trust or place investment in anything they pander.

southarkhog06

southarkhog06

Quote from: Mr.Gruntastic on January 25, 2018, 08:26:03 am
As many publications that select AA and freshman AA teams. 

Koch, Knight, Fletcher, Biggers, Shady are the best bets to earn AA honors

Cole has potential.  He had a hell of a second half of the season.  He might not make 1-3 team AA, but he could get a honorable mention

Herjstad could be a freshman AA if he can carry from fall to regular season. 

Turney could produce as a DH until healthy.  Has the tools to be another Freshman AA

Bonfield could have his best year as a DH.  Potential AA numbers? 

That leaves 1st n 3rd as question marks.  I don't believe Kinley will make any AA teams, but Martin sounds promising.  Potential Freshman AA?  Guess that depends on who gets the nod over at 3rd.

1st base between Gates and McFarland.  Unsure.  Gates had a decent year coming off an injury, and McFarland might have a break out year.  Took Spanberger 3 yrs til he lived up to expectations. 

I know potential is a hell of a word and you have to produce to live up to it, but if anybody is gonna get it out of this group.  It'll be DVH

Oh yeah, and potentially Evan Lee
I mean yes if you say "potential" that could include anyone with talent. We see someone fly in from off the radar every year, but if you are saying guys that you look at their talent and body of work and can reasonably assume they will be in the discussion at EOY, I see: Koch, Fletcher, Biggers, and maybe Bonfield as Position players. For pitchers I see Knight, Campbell and maybe Reindl. I dislike the Award for "Freshman" All-American, there is no "Freshman" League, you are either AA or not.

Mr.Gruntastic

southarkhog06

Quote from: Mr.Gruntastic on January 29, 2018, 08:03:13 am
I grew up in Locust Bayou in between East Camden, and Hampton
Know it, used to drive through there all the time, on my way to Warren.

I live in Russelville now, and while South Arkansas will always be dear to my heart I will never live there again.

Mr.Gruntastic

Same here.  I live in Branson now.  I love South Arkansas, I won't live there again either. 

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 22, 2018, 02:02:12 pm
Cronin is the young guy that I think could be a "dude" for us.  He had some freshman yips last year but when he has it going between the ears he looks really good to me.   
I'd say he's hit official "Dude" status.