Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Now what with OKC

Started by husker71, August 12, 2012, 12:57:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oliver

Quote from: McKdaddy on August 19, 2012, 10:15:41 am
I value Ibaka long-term more than Harden, also.

I'm still of the opinion that OKC will go over the cap to sign Harden, but if they don't I agree with this statement.  If Harden walks, I think OKC made the correct choice in picking between the two for this reason.

jamie72921

Quote from: MM-gohogs on August 18, 2012, 10:57:52 pm
This is a free country, everyone is entitled to their opinions...

As far as Spain goes, I didn't watch them except for the Gold Medal game because this is America, but what do you expect with two Gasols in front of him...

There was a game where he only logged like 6 mins and another big guy off the bench played ahead of him. Personally, I thought it was dumb on the Spain coach's part, but it did happen.
Bless your heart

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: MM-gohogs on August 19, 2012, 01:41:44 am
We all know on the open market/free agency Serge is going to get WAY more then the team pays when the get them signed to an extension while they are still under contract. People in OKC are saying that with Serge taking this deal meant that by not testing the open market he took less than his "value." $10M-12M on the open market gets you a discount of where I was hoping he would sign

I don't see him as having taken a discount. Not enough of one to consider, anyway. He's getting 12 million a year. A discount would have been 8-10 million a year. Harden's going to command at least that much, IMO. And he definitely isn't going to take less now and be perceived as less valuable than Ibaka.

MM-gohogs

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on August 19, 2012, 01:20:51 pm
I don't see him as having taken a discount. Not enough of one to consider, anyway. He's getting 12 million a year.
Have a little bit of integrity at the risk of agreeing with me. Asik got 3yrs/$25M, had he not been on the FA market he would've gotten less had the Bulls resigned him while under contract...

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on August 14, 2012, 07:10:10 pm
And their agents know they can command somewhere between 10-12 million a year on the open market. This could be the biggest contract of their career for these guys. I don't expect extensions for either.
Again as I put your own words before you...
aka: Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville.

nutt huggers: glittering jewels of colossal ignorance - ME

"for all intensive purposes"--me, hogville taught me something today, thanks
missippihog: "I'm not arguing with you road scholars anymore. GO HOGS!"
hogfanwithms: "Georgia and Arkansas has no defense but Alabama does!"
Karma: "MM, we such today and unfortanely they are calling it like it is."

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: MM-gohogs on August 19, 2012, 01:59:51 pmHave a little bit of integrity at the risk of agreeing with me. Asik got 3yrs/$25M, had he not been on the FA market he would've gotten less had the Bulls resigned him while under contract...

Agree with you? Your point was never that he could get a huge contract on the open market. You said the guy was worth 6 to 8 million (which is laughable given how much bigs make in the NBA)! Your point was that they wouldn't command 12 million each. Why would I agree with that? You can't just change what your point was once you've been proven wrong.

Quote from: MM-gohogs on August 19, 2012, 01:59:51 pmAgain as I put your own words before you...

I was wrong about him signing an extension. I was right that he would get around 10-12 million a season. It's possible that he could have waited it out and gotten offered a max contract by another team in hopes of luring him away from OKC, but when you get offered 12.25 million a season, you take that offer. If he has a bad/down year this year, he screws himself if he turns this deal down. If you want to spin that into him taking a discount, go ahead. "Taking a discount" isn't taking your actual market value when you could wait it out and see if a team will offer you more than you're worth. That's warped.

hvsupastar

Harden was exposed a few times in the playoffs, specifically the finals. He is not an elite player and I'm not sure that OKC should fret if he leaves for more money.
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

MM-gohogs

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on August 19, 2012, 02:13:24 pm
Agree with you? Your point was never that he could get a huge contract on the open market. You said the guy was worth 6 to 8 million (which is laughable given how much bigs make in the NBA)! Your point was that they wouldn't command 12 million each. Why would I agree with that? You can't just change what your point was once you've been proven wrong.

I was wrong about him signing an extension. I was right that he would get around 10-12 million a season. It's possible that he could have waited it out and gotten offered a max contract by another team in hopes of luring him away from OKC, but when you get offered 12.25 million a season, you take that offer. If he has a bad/down year this year, he screws himself if he turns this deal down. If you want to spin that into him taking a discount, go ahead. "Taking a discount" isn't taking your actual market value when you could wait it out and see if a team will offer you more than you're worth. That's warped.
Well thank you for proving that you are someone who isn't worth having an actual discussion with regarding this matter.

Of course with Asik's 3.1 points per, 5.3 rebounds and 1 block garnering $8.3M per season, surprised you didn't value Ibaka at $20M...

MM-gohogs

Quote from: hvsupastar on August 19, 2012, 03:13:46 pm
Harden was exposed a few times in the playoffs, specifically the finals. He is not an elite player and I'm not sure that OKC should fret if he leaves for more money.
He's not the first player to have an off series, Lebron choked in Finals past. If all you know of Harden is a handful of games from the playoffs and icluding the 5 game NBA Finals, you don't have a basis for your argument.

Furthermore, where was he "exposed" other than the NBA Finals? Down 0-2 to the Spurs he helped the team to 4 straight wins shooting 60% from 3pt in that series? He averaged 17.6 ppg in the in the playoffs up until the Finals.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: MM-gohogs on August 19, 2012, 03:40:55 pm
Well thank you for proving that you are someone who isn't worth having an actual discussion with regarding this matter.

Of course with Asik's 3.1 points per, 5.3 rebounds and 1 block garnering $8.3M per season, surprised you didn't value Ibaka at $20M...

How can I have an actual discussion with you if you aren't even making any sense?

The Asik comment.....what is that? Makes no sense. I never said he was worth that.

Dogtown Donkey

ESPN reporting that Harden wants a max deal....

Not taking less to stay with OKC. I can guarantee you Houston will offer a max contract, and they are interested.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on September 13, 2012, 03:49:07 pm
ESPN reporting that Harden wants a max deal....

Not taking less to stay with OKC. I can guarantee you Houston will offer a max contract, and they are interested.

I wonder if they can still flip him for Bradley Beal and a future draft pick.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

McKdaddy

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on September 13, 2012, 03:54:14 pm
I wonder if they can still flip him for Bradley Beal and a future draft pick.

This
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Dogtown Donkey

Bump.

Harden getting max contract from the Rockets after turning down a deal for 20 million less with the Thunder.

Like I said.....

HoopS

Who is the trade better for?

yraciv

Quote from: HoopS on October 28, 2012, 01:07:19 pm
Who is the trade better for?

I vote OKC. Yes it will be hard for Thunder fans to grasp trading a key player when they were so close last year, but I'm not sold on Harden being worth the money he was asking. They got a player I believe has a huge amount of upside and a good 3rd option to score. Kevin Martin might not be quite the defender, but he gets buckets. That and the fact the Rockets draft pick should never be higher than 20 is a quality return.

Rockets will now be stuck paying Asek, Lin, and Harden a huge amount of money. Doesn't sound like a recipe for success to me.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: yraciv on October 28, 2012, 01:12:12 pm
I vote OKC. Yes it will be hard for Thunder fans to grasp trading a key player when they were so close last year, but I'm not sold on Harden being worth the money he was asking. They got a player I believe has a huge amount of upside and a good 3rd option to score. Kevin Martin might not be quite the defender, but he gets buckets. That and the fact the Rockets draft pick should never be higher than 20 is a quality return.

Rockets will now be stuck paying Asek, Lin, and Harden a huge amount of money. Doesn't sound like a recipe for success to me.

As a Rocket fan, I agree.

Harden is not a max contract player. I realize a lot of guys (like Eric Gordon, Rudy Gay, etc) aren't, but my point is that he's being brought in as the #1 option for the Rockets. We're talking about a guy that's the best 6th man in the NBA, so he's, in reality, probably a great #3 or a borderline #2 guy on most teams. That's just how I see it.

OKC did great in this trade. Martin is a great short-term fix in that he brings similar scoring ability (one year deal doesn't hurt). They get a young SG in Lamb, on a rookie deal for 4 years. That's awesome for them. They get a pretty good draft picks from Houston as well. One is a 1st rounder from the Mavs, one is a 1st rounder from the Raptors (the one they traded Lowry for) and it's guaranteed to be a lottery pick per the terms of the trade, and they get a 2nd rounder from the Bobcats (should be pretty high). This plays right into Presti's wheelhouse of acquiring assets for future trades.

Short-term, I think this does hurt OKC because it's going to really hurt the chemistry of the team by moving such a core piece from a championship caliber team, but it's a great long-term move.

Houston is actually doing okay, if guys like Lin and Asik pan out. They still have a glut of young PFs that they could move, and they should have a pretty high draft pick even with Harden. It's a young team and they can still add another all-star caliber player.

Fatty McGee

I agree with Dogtown.  And I also think because they're doing it at this point in the season, they have 82 games to work out the chemistry kinks, as opposed to trying to do it mid-season.

Morey is going to lose his luster in Houston, though, if he doesn't scare up some top flight talent soon.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Oliver

OKC got the better deal.  It will hurt them some this season obviously.  Martin is a good player but no Harden.  However, they got 2 future first round picks.  Houston is going to be pretty bad even with Harden.  Those picks should both be lottery picks

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Oliver on October 28, 2012, 04:30:46 pm
OKC got the better deal.  It will hurt them some this season obviously.  Martin is a good player but no Harden.  However, they got 2 future first round picks.  Houston is going to be pretty bad even with Harden.  Those picks should both be lottery picks

You think between Martin and Lamb they can create the same defense/offense that Harden was giving them?  Lamb certainly has the body to be a great defensive player.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

HoopS

The picks were not Houston picks but picks Houston had attained.  In other words, where the Rockets finish won't effect the draft spot.  Think one is Dallas and can't remember the other. 

Martin is a ball hog.  Glad he's gone.

Dr. Starcs

There's only room for one ball hog in okc.

Signed,
Russell Westbrook

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: HoopS on October 28, 2012, 04:59:28 pm
The picks were not Houston picks but picks Houston had attained.  In other words, where the Rockets finish won't effect the draft spot.  Think one is Dallas and can't remember the other. 

Martin is a ball hog.  Glad he's gone.
One is from Toronto. They will likely have one in the 20s and one in the lottery plus their first round pick in the late 20s
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

GoHogs1091

OKC definitely got the better deal of this trade.  Getting Jeremy Lamb is huge for OKC because they needed a very good outside shooter.  To me, Lamb was the best Shooting Guard coming out of College (yes, even better than Bradley Beal).

OKC needed to get more scoring options to go along with Durant and Westbrook.  They have that now with Jeremy Lamb and Perry Jones III.   

Oliver

Quote from: Fatty McGee on October 28, 2012, 04:55:32 pm
You think between Martin and Lamb they can create the same defense/offense that Harden was giving them?  Lamb certainly has the body to be a great defensive player.

Martin is a terrible defensive player.  Scoring pretty good.  Lamb kind of the opposite.  Chemistry is the big issue.

The_Iceman

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 28, 2012, 09:11:53 pm
OKC definitely got the better deal of this trade.  Getting Jeremy Lamb is huge for OKC because they needed a very good outside shooter.  To me, Lamb was the best Shooting Guard coming out of College (yes, even better than Bradley Beal).

OKC needed to get more scoring options to go along with Durant and Westbrook.  They have that now with Jeremy Lamb and Perry Jones III.   

I agree. The bench for OKC is much deeper than before.

You now have Martin, Lamb, Jones III, and Collison off the bench.

MM-gohogs

I had a "Thunder" thread in the General Sports forum, I just thought to look here... but as I said, the Thunder worked diligently to try to sign Jim to an extension, the player that spoke of "sacrificing (in reference to contract talk)" for the good of the team and as recent as media day when asked if he would only take a max contract and he said "no." He was offered just $1M per season less than a max deal and it wasn't agreeable.

Having said that, I was completely wrong.

As for the deal. We lost two additional role players that would account for 15-18 minutes per game. Our unproven backup center never got a shot to prove anything and now our back up behind a less than durable Kendrick Perkins is Hasheem 'the Dream' Thabeet (lottery pick).

I don't know a ton about Kevin Martin, I know he is a scorer, I've heard his defense is nonexistent, but I assume he will take Harden's role as the scorer off the bench. I've heard him described as a guy that in addition to being a scorer he can create for himself and his team and he can get to the free throw line, sounds like someone kind of familiar. I don't expect much of anything from Lamb this year because if he is needed to contribute, we're in trouble with injurys or our second team rotation is crapping their pants.

My expectations for 2012-13 was all of the pieces were returning with the exception of Nazr Mohammed and Fisher. We drafted PJ3 in the first round but he will be riding the pine because we'll be running the same rotation from last year. Now PJ3 is going to be coming in for KD to give his 8-10 mpg breathers.

As for the Beard, I hope that $80M keeps his heart warm and fuzzy, because he is going from a crowd of 18,203 to playing for 14K a night and if the Rockets, as it is thought, have a rough year, the faithful at Toyota aren't to be standing and chanting Hous-Ton Rockets! They're going to be boos, something that I don't know if he's ready for.

I don't know exactly which team got the better deal, but it's hard to say our odds against the other elite teams in the West are improved, but we'll see starting this week.

Thunder Up!

MM-gohogs

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 28, 2012, 09:42:50 pm
I agree. The bench for OKC is much deeper than before.

You now have Martin, Lamb, Jones III, and Collison off the bench.
Jeremy Lamb won't see any meaningful time unless there are major injuries or other bad things...

GoHogs1091

Quote from: MM-gohogs on October 28, 2012, 10:28:50 pm
Jeremy Lamb won't see any meaningful time unless there are major injuries or other bad things...

For the first month of the season, Lamb will probably not see very many minutes, but after that, he may be seeing some signficant minutes.  Lamb has a very quick release, and he can get the ball in the basket from the perimeter.  He is also very effective at creating his own shot.  He is a very difficult match up for a defender.

Lamb singlehandly almost won the game for Connecticut on the road at Tennessee last season.  He is a very good pick up for OKC. 

MM-gohogs

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 28, 2012, 11:02:56 pm
For the first month of the season, Lamb will probably not see very many minutes, but after that, he may be seeing some signficant minutes.  Lamb has a very quick release, and he can get the ball in the basket from the perimeter.  He is also very effective at creating his own shot.  He is a very difficult match up for a defender.

Lamb singlehandly almost won the game for Connecticut on the road at Tennessee last season.  He is a very good pick up for OKC. 
Where do these significant minutes come from?

C       PF    SF      SG            PG
Starters: Perk, Ibaka, KD, Sefolosha, Westbrook
Back ups: Thabeet, Collison, PJ3, KMartin, Maynor

You can have 15 players but only dress 12/13

Only thing I can see is him taking PJ3's minutes

husker71

MM-go hogs  I thought this was not going to happen.  I will always listen to Bill Simmons rumors when it comes to basketball money.  Presti is one of  the best GMs around and I agree with you that Harden  may regret this but I understand he was given very limited time to make this decision, have you heard that??   

Dogtown Donkey

Rumor out there that Harden agreed to 54 million from the Thunder if there was a 15% trade kicker in the contract. He just didn't want to re-up after taking less than he could have gotten elsewhere and get traded.

McKdaddy

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: McKdaddy on October 31, 2012, 03:22:57 pm
Harden worth 5 & 80M?

You're worth what the market is willing to pay you. Eric Gordon got a similar deal and Harden is better than he is.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on October 31, 2012, 03:27:38 pm
You're worth what the market is willing to pay you. Eric Gordon got a similar deal and Harden is better than he is.

Obviously.

Let me rephrase: The Rockets felt Harden was worth 5 & 80M, what do others think?

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: McKdaddy on October 31, 2012, 03:36:18 pm
Obviously.

Let me rephrase: The Rockets felt Harden was worth 5 & 80M, what do others think?

The Suns were going to give him the same offer (they signed Gordon to the offer NO matched). Didn't have the trade pieces to make a deal. I could see a team like Charlotte go after him somewhere around that price as well.

Most teams probably wouldn't give him the max, but some times have to overpay to bring in talent.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on October 31, 2012, 03:40:51 pm
The Suns were going to give him the same offer (they signed Gordon to the offer NO matched). Didn't have the trade pieces to make a deal. I could see a team like Charlotte go after him somewhere around that price as well.

Most teams probably wouldn't give him the max, but some times have to overpay to bring in talent.

I hear you. I'm thinking too narrowly when answering my own question, admittedly. My first reaction to the Houston signing was this:  as big a fan as I am of Harden, I don't know that I believe he's a true max player, and thus not worth 5 & 80M imo. Time will tell and I'll be pulling for him.

Hog918

From what I have heard from two someones that have some connections, is that they believe when Harden said he was happy to be the 6th man, might not have been entirely true.  As the end of negotiations came and Harden saw the potential for more money and to be a starter, "he could taste it", as one told me.  I think the Thunder got the better end of the deal, and wish Harden good luck.

McKdaddy

Harden is being a go-to guy tonight, and filling up the stat-sheet, as well.

McKdaddy

Harden and Lin playing well off one another, even if it was against the no-D Hawks.

MM-gohogs

Quote from: husker71 on October 31, 2012, 09:13:31 am
MM-go hogs  I thought this was not going to happen.  I will always listen to Bill Simmons rumors when it comes to basketball money.  Presti is one of  the best GMs around and I agree with you that Harden  may regret this but I understand he was given very limited time to make this decision, have you heard that??   
Harden was given limited time? Presti laid it out at his press conference, they have been talking contract with Harden's representation, he sat down and talked with Harden on Wed, 10/24, before the final preseason game in Wichita, he laid out the situation and told Harden/rep Friday morning "this is our final offer," they declined, he then told them they are going to make the best decision for the franchise, some time later Presti made another offer, which was declined. Then late Friday/Saturday he started working on the trade.

His agent knew the end game. The agent knew that there were teams that could offer him the coveted 5 year deal that would push the contract around $80M. He lined Harden's pockets as well as his own.

MM-gohogs

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on October 31, 2012, 09:38:15 am
Rumor out there that Harden agreed to 54 million from the Thunder if there was a 15% trade kicker in the contract. He just didn't want to re-up after taking less than he could have gotten elsewhere and get traded.
The 15% trade kicker is almost as good as a no trade clause. That would limit greatly who the players current team can make a trade to. That's why teams do things that are "in the best interest of the franchise"

MM-gohogs

November 03, 2012, 10:49:34 am #91 Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 10:57:54 am by MM-gohogs
Quote from: McKdaddy on October 31, 2012, 08:44:14 pm
Harden is being a go-to guy tonight, and filling up the stat-sheet, as well.
Quote from: McKdaddy on November 02, 2012, 09:09:57 pm
Harden and Lin playing well off one another, even if it was against the no-D Hawks.
If Harden doesn't score and fill up the stat sheet who's is going to for the Houston Rockets? Clyde Drexler? Hakeem Olajuwon?

Of course he has played well, I believe everyone knew he was great. I was curious to see how he would play in the starting line up and see if he is ready to be "the guy." He answered that one in the first two two games.

MM-gohogs

Quote from: Hog918 on October 31, 2012, 08:10:22 pm
From what I have heard from two someones that have some connections, is that they believe when Harden said he was happy to be the 6th man, might not have been entirely true.  As the end of negotiations came and Harden saw the potential for more money and to be a starter, "he could taste it", as one told me.  I think the Thunder got the better end of the deal, and wish Harden good luck.
They tried him at starter early last season as Thabo Sefolosha was out for 20+ games and it was an experience that was short lived, because he played poorly.

Maybe he was just being nice and doing it "for the good of the team" but it got him paid

McKdaddy

Quote from: MM-gohogs on November 03, 2012, 10:49:34 am
If Harden doesn't score and fill up the stat sheet who's is going to for the Houston Rockets? Clyde Drexler? Hakeem Olajuwon?

Of course he has played well, I believe everyone knew he was great. I was curious to see how he would play in the starting line up and see if he is ready to be "the guy." He answered that one in the first two two games.

I was curious also, and I love guys that can fill up the stat lines w/ boards, steals, points, assists, etc. Just because the team doesn't have other great players around doesn't mean that you re automatically going to be a do-it-all player. There are lots of great players that don't have all-around game. Glad to see Harden have Grant Hill-like stat lines.

McKdaddy

Quote from: MM-gohogs on November 03, 2012, 10:49:34 am

I didn't know if he was great. I've been a huge fan of his, but admittedly I didn't "know" if he could be the man. It's early but he's exceeding my expectations.

MM-gohogs

I contend JH is going to have to score 40 a night to win, it doesn't bode well for the Rockets.

McKdaddy

November 03, 2012, 01:47:09 pm #96 Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 01:51:17 pm by McKdaddy
Quote from: MM-gohogs on November 03, 2012, 01:38:32 pm
I contend JH is going to have to score 40 a night to win, it doesn't bode well for the Rockets.
Agreed, Prophet of the Obvious, ha. I read an interesting article the other day that painted HOU mgmt as downright pessimistic about this season prior to the Harden trade coming about.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: MM-gohogs on November 03, 2012, 01:38:32 pm

You are aware this was to be a rebuilding year, right? How good did you honestly expect Houston to be? Look at their roster. Very, very young team.

Be honest, though, as a Thunder fan, you're sick to your stomach seeing Harden tearing it up in another jersey.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 03, 2012, 04:04:12 pm
You are aware this was to be a rebuilding year, right? How good did you honestly expect Houston to be? Look at their roster. Very, very young team.

Be honest, though, as a Thunder fan, you're sick to your stomach seeing Harden tearing it up in another jersey.

I would be.

Dogtown Donkey

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--james-harden-disappointed-thunder-didn-t-give-him-more-time-to-consider-offer-06561809.html

QuoteEven with the rapid embrace of life as the franchise player for the Houston Rockets, something still troubles All-Star guard James Harden about the way his departure unfolded with the Oklahoma City Thunder: Why didn't officials give him longer than an hour to consider a final four-year, $54 million offer before trading him?

"After everything we established – everything we had done – you give me an hour?" Harden told Yahoo! Sports on Monday afternoon. "This was one of the biggest decisions of my life. I wanted to go home and pray about it. It hurt me. It hurt."

Bush league move by the Thunder. Lost a lot of respect for their management after reading this.