Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is gonna be the guy.....

Started by MultipleScoreGasms, November 03, 2017, 11:58:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HF#1

Quote from: The ColonelHog on November 03, 2017, 12:14:38 pm
That would turn out to be as bad as the BB experiment!  Hopefully we NEVER see it!

Only in Arkansas would people think someone with his record would be a bad hire. Not saying it would work but he would recruit better than Bret has ever thought about recruiting.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Tortfeasor

Sed76

Jeff Long would think it was great but surely or hopefully the powers that be above him who would have to approve the contract would have better sense.

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: HF#1 on November 03, 2017, 12:16:08 pm
Only in Arkansas would people think someone with his record would be a bad hire. Not saying it would work but he would recruit better than Bret has ever thought about recruiting.

His QB's were awful those last few years. They had some legit defensive units but he can't recruit that to here IMO.

The Hawg Marshal

If that's going to be the guy , then there is really no need to change.

HF#1

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on November 03, 2017, 12:17:15 pm
His QB's were awful those last few years. They had some legit defensive units but he can't recruit that to here IMO.

He has faults. But to say that he couldn't be an improvement over the current situation is absurd. The relationships he has in Louisiana and throughout the SEC footprint are invaluable.

USChog

Obviously Les has a good record at LSU, but so did Bret at Wisc. The problem is, the record is not indicative of their coaching abilities. Arkansas needs a coach who has gotten it done at a difficult place, not at shoe in 9 win school.

East Clintwood

I could see Jeffy jumping all over that hire but only after Grobe, Bowden and Wannstedt turned him down.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 03, 2017, 12:19:24 pm
I could see Jeffy jumping all over that hire but only after Grobe, Bowden and Wannstedt turned him down.

;D  That's funny right there.

Paul

He won't come here. Our field is artificial turf

razorbackfaninar

He would be a bad hire at Arkansas.  If he was bad enough to get fired at LSU sitting on all of that talent and that close to Texas where he was pulling in classes he could never dream of here he could not be successful here.  Your record at LSU doesn't mean squat at Arkansas.

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: USChog on November 03, 2017, 12:19:07 pm
Obviously Les has a good record at LSU, but so did Bret at Wisc. The problem is, the record is not indicative of their coaching abilities. Arkansas needs a coach who has gotten it done at a difficult place, not at shoe in 9 win school.

Not advocating for Les, but he was 77% at LSU.  Saban was 75% there.  Both did well.  Both won a NC there.  I don't know that the wheels would fall off here if Les was hired.  I would expect an improvement.  I thought his recognition of offensive issues in his past teams was interesting.  Makes me wonder what he would do at his next gig.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: HF#1 on November 03, 2017, 12:18:39 pm
He has faults. But to say that he couldn't be an improvement over the current situation is absurd. The relationships he has in Louisiana and throughout the SEC footprint are invaluable.

If all you want is an improvement over the current situation almost any coach could fit that bill.  Right now mediocre football would be an improvement, and mediocre is what you would get with Les Miles.  Being better than the current situation doesn't make him a good hire.

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: Paul on November 03, 2017, 12:25:12 pm
He won't come here. Our field is artificial turf

Yeah, he would look like he had eaten an Oreo.  Spittin' rubber pellets for sure.

draftkings33

DO you people really know how dumb you are to want Lesser?  Seriously anyone can recruit to LSU.  THey have more SEC players 5 minutes from their stadium than Arkansas has in the entire state.  Do some research, watch some games, and most importantly GET A CLUE!

HF#1

Quote from: draftkings33 on November 03, 2017, 12:31:38 pm
DO you people really know how dumb you are to want Lesser?  Seriously anyone can recruit to LSU.  THey have more SEC players 5 minutes from their stadium than Arkansas has in the entire state.  Do some research, watch some games, and most importantly GET A CLUE!

Where did I say I wanted Les?

HF#1

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 03, 2017, 12:29:00 pm
He would be a bad hire at Arkansas.  If he was bad enough to get fired at LSU sitting on all of that talent and that close to Texas where he was pulling in classes he could never dream of here he could not be successful here.  Your record at LSU doesn't mean squat at Arkansas.

You don't know that anymore than I do.

TeufelHog

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 03, 2017, 12:17:30 pm
If that's going to be the guy , then there is really no need to change.
^^^^^THIS^^^^^
Les would be a horrible hire for our program.  A step backwards IMHO.  Only positive I could see would be LA recruiting connections.

bphi11ips

Not time yet to make a decision on Bret Bielema, but I've always laughed at the knuckleheads on Hogville who don't understand that Les Miles is a really good coach.  LSU was stupid when it canned him and even stupider when hired Orgeron long term. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HF#1

Quote from: The ColonelHog on November 03, 2017, 12:45:21 pm
I don't care what his record was.  He was an underachiever at LSU and got fired for it.  AND, it's not like any other program is beating down his door so I guess it's not "only in Arkansas!"

And then LSU hired Ed freaking O... Alleva's decision making is obviously top notch.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 03, 2017, 12:49:36 pm
Not time yet to make a decision on Bret Bielema, but I've always laughed at the knuckleheads on Hogville who don't understand that Les Miles is a really good coach.  LSU was stupid when it canned him and even stupider when hired Orgeron long term. 
We aren't knuckleheads just because we see the things that you evidently don't.

To many, Les looks and feels right,  He isn't.  His recruiting here will be about like all the others and his coaching will be Bretese.  He will do a little better than Bret because he isn't lazy and is organized a bit better.  If he could get great coordinators, which I doubt, we might get to 8 wins half the time.

When he is the next coach, remember I said this before we made that mistake.

HogPharmer

Quote from: draftkings33 on November 03, 2017, 12:31:38 pm

What do you mean "you people"????
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

jkstock04

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 03, 2017, 12:49:36 pm
If he's a really good coach why is he hanging out at Whole Foods instead of on a sideline?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

roothawg

HogPharmer

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 03, 2017, 12:58:36 pm
If he's a really good coach why is he hanging out at Whole Foods instead of on a sideline?

A man's gotta eat...
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

HF#1

Why is Chip Kelly? John Gruden? Or any other coach that isn't currently coaching?

HogPharmer

Quote from: WMHawgfan on November 03, 2017, 01:00:33 pm
you need to stop smokin what Les is eatin!

It's grass... not weed grass, but literal grass.... Unfortunately its grass from the sidelines that has been spray painted... Good high, but comes with a nasty crash at the end.

ipigsooie

Golferhog

He'd be a horrible hire for us at the University of AR Kansas!

GuvHog

Quote from: HF#1 on November 03, 2017, 12:18:39 pm
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He isn't in the top 3 of my list but recruiting wise, he would give Oregeron fits in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas with his ties to recruiting in those states while he was at LSU. Flashing his national Title ring will help too. If he hires a good staff that includes an OC/QB coach who is great at developing QB's, he just might surprise a lot of people.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

RME

114-34 at LSU, 7 10+ win seasons out of 11 full seasons coached, 7-4 in bowls, 2 national championship appearances, and 1 national championship doesn't make for a really good coach?

Hell I'd take that resume any day.

No, I don't want Miles. But that's pretty amusing you don't consider him a "really good coach." To each his own.

HF#1

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 03, 2017, 01:04:10 pm
114-34 at LSU, 7 10+ win seasons out of 11 full seasons coached, 7-4 in bowls, 2 national championship appearances, and 1 national championship doesn't make for a really good coach?

Hell I'd take that as a fan.

No, I don't want Miles. But that's pretty amusing you don't consider him a "really good coach." To each his own.

As ** a resume as I have ever seen for a coach....

jkstock04

Hiring Les Miles here would have the same spin as the Bielema hire. It would turn out in 4 or 5 years as "a phenomenal hire by Jeff Long at the time, it just didn't work out."

In the back of my mind sometimes I feel like our program and fans would deserve something like this to happen.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

GuvHog

Quote from: Golferhog on November 03, 2017, 01:03:24 pm
He'd be a horrible hire for us at the University of AR Kansas!

It's true that he wouldn't be a home run hire, but he wouldn't be a horrible hire either.

jkstock04

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 03, 2017, 01:04:10 pm

Hell I'd take that resume any day.

That's not what I asked.

Regardless...by this logic Bielema is a badass coach as well due to his Wisconsin resume. He should easily be scooped up by another power 5 team if he moves on from here right?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Spektre

To put Les Miles on the same level as BB is absolutely unconscionable.

First, I've never been a fan of Les Miles because he was at LSU, and his offenses were lackluster.

HOWEVER, the guy can recruit his tail off, goes toe to toe with anyone in the SEC, is a perennial wildcard to win or at the very LEAST finish 4th or so. Regardless of the outcome, LSU remained relevant every year he was there. You people throwing his name out the window need a reality check, because our BEST year in over a DECADE was 11-2, with one of the 2 losses coming from Mr. Miles at LSU 41-17.

Miles had big success at OkState and LSU... which Arkansas is pretty much sandwiched between. Even if the man has not changed his offensive philosophy a single bit, which is unlikely, a return to relevance would be a huge step forward with a national championship winner at the helm.

GuvHog

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 03, 2017, 01:05:35 pm
Hiring Les Miles here would have the same spin as the Bielema hire. It would turn out in 4 or 5 years as "a phenomenal hire by Jeff Long at the time, it just didn't work out."

In the back of my mind sometimes I feel like our program and fans would deserve something like this to happen.

It would all depend on how good of a coaching staff he puts together.

HF#1

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 03, 2017, 01:07:25 pm
That's not what I asked.

Regardless...by this logic Bielema is a badass coach as well due to his Wisconsin resume. He should easily be scooped up by another power 5 team if he moves on from here right?

The difference being Les built his resume in the league where we have struggled for 20 years. Bielema built his on the back of Barry Alvarez in the Big10.

HF#1

Quote from: Spektre on November 03, 2017, 01:08:42 pm
To put Les Miles on the same level as BB is absolutely unconscionable.

First, I've never been a fan of Les Miles because he was at LSU, and his offenses were lackluster.

HOWEVER, the guy can recruit his tail off, goes toe to toe with anyone in the SEC, is a perennial wildcard to win or at the very LEAST finish 4th or so. Regardless of the outcome, LSU remained relevant every year he was there. You people throwing his name out the window need a reality check, because our BEST year in over a DECADE was 11-2, with one of the 2 losses coming from Mr. Miles at LSU 41-17.

Miles had big success at OkState and LSU... which Arkansas is pretty much sandwiched between. Even if the man has not changed his offensive philosophy a single bit, which is unlikely, a return to relevance would be a huge step forward with a national championship winner at the helm.

Well said. These people are crazy.  Same folks that would say no to Malzahn.

GuvHog

Quote from: HF#1 on November 03, 2017, 01:09:15 pm
The difference being Les built his resume in the league where we have struggled for 20 years. Bielema built his on the back of Barry Alvarez in the Big10.

Also, Les has led LSU to 3 National title games and won one of them. Bielema has never even sniffed at a National title game much less coached a team in one.

HF#1

Les wouldn't be my first choice or even my 2nd choice but I'm not going to dismiss him or act like he is a bum of a coach.

Jean-Luc Pigard

Les Miles would feel like we settled on someone decent because our top 5 candidates didn't work out.

I wouldn't be mad, but I wouldn't be excited either.

GuvHog

Quote from: HF#1 on November 03, 2017, 01:11:32 pm
Well said. These people are crazy.  Same folks that would say no to Malzahn.

There are good off of the field reasons why many say no to Malzahn. He burned too many bridges back in 2006.

GolfHog

What a joke! Long is just about that stupid. Pitiful. No one is saying he didn't have his day but it is over.

phadedhawg

Quote from: HF#1 on November 03, 2017, 01:15:47 pm
Les wouldn't be my first choice or even my 2nd choice but I'm not going to dismiss him or act like he is a bum of a coach.

^THIS^