Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

adult basketball league question

Started by brenthog, September 30, 2014, 07:59:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brenthog

I used to play basketball constantly when I was thin and younger. Now I am a fat ass but I want to start playing again.

Where is a good spot for leagues/pickup games in Rogers/Bentonville?

vandybuff

Just place one foot into a mounted snowboarding boot - stand on the board with your other foot - turn your body until you feel a searing pain behind the knee.  Doing this, you will achieve the same result as adult basketball without all the sweating! :)
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

mhuff

Brother, I would recommend dieting before doing something that rigorous. I don't want you having a heart attack because you didn't take it slow. Plus, it is much easier at a lower weight than that of a water buffalo. Also, less opportunity to start an earthquake. Basketball is fun..... Try half court.

hogfan98

Before you go do something crazy like that, let me share a story....

Me and a group of friends had the same bright idea a couple of years ago.  We're all 30 something so our best days are past us but we were all in pretty good shape all things considering.  And we all played back in the day and had pretty decent game once upon a time...not a bunch of scrubs.  So we get a team together and join the Rogers 6' and under league.  We get shirts made and are feeling good about our initiative to go out and do something active.

We show up to our first game and we're warming up and in walks our first opponent.  Let's just say they look...athletic.  And they have a coach.  And they're probably minimum 10 years younger than us.  But I also notice that I'm looking at some of these guys' chins when standing next to them.  Now I have to take my shoes off to pass as under 6' so this wasn't passing the smell test for me.  So we go to the ref to find out his opinion of their height.  He basically tells us to quit whining.  So we're like whatever, we'll give it a go.

Game on and they of course win the tip.  For the sake of endurance, we game planned to go 2-3 zone.  Cover less ground and make people shoot to beat us.  These guys had a better idea.  They see us in a zone and back it out and call a play.  That's right...they've got plays.  Next thing you know, they back-pick the zone for an alley-oop dunk.  On the first play.  If that wasn't enough, they throw a full court press at us that they trap the bejeezus out of at every opportunity.  I can't tell you how long it took us to get past half court, much less actually score.  What I do know is that they broke 100 in a 40 minute running clock game.  I think the final score was in the neighborhood of 120-50.  And the only reason we scored 50 is because they quit playing D so they could snowbird for dunks.

Second game wasn't quite the same but pretty close.  They didn't have as many guys over 6' and they didn't dunk quite as much.  They didn't break 100 either.  But we still lost by like 50.

After that we called the league and told them they can take us off the schedule.  Just wasn't any fun.  The height rule was loosely enforced (meaning not at all) and we were just out of our league.  It's just a bunch young guys who are not only pretty good at basketball but also in primo shape.  Oh to be 20-something again. 

So, feel free to get you a team and join a league if you think you can hang.  Just know that you've been warned.

thirrdegreetusker

October 02, 2014, 03:18:11 pm #4 Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:37:29 pm by thirrdegreetusker
Quote from: hogfan98 on October 02, 2014, 12:41:05 pm

Me and a group of friends had the same bright idea a couple of years ago.  We're all 30 something so our best days are past us but we were all in pretty good shape all things considering.  And we all played back in the day and had pretty decent game once upon a time...not a bunch of scrubs.  So we get a team together and join the Rogers 6' and under league.  We get shirts made and are feeling good about our initiative to go out and do something active.

We show up to our first game and we're warming up and in walks our first opponent.  Let's just say they look...athletic.  And they have a coach.  And they're probably minimum 10 years younger than us.  But I also notice that I'm looking at some of these guys' chins when standing next to them.  Now I have to take my shoes off to pass as under 6' so this wasn't passing the smell test for me.  So we go to the ref to find out his opinion of their height.  He basically tells us to quit whining.  So we're like whatever, we'll give it a go.

Game on and they of course win the tip.  For the sake of endurance, we game planned to go 2-3 zone.  Cover less ground and make people shoot to beat us.  These guys had a better idea.  They see us in a zone and back it out and call a play.  That's right...they've got plays.  Next thing you know, they back-pick the zone for an alley-oop dunk.  On the first play.  If that wasn't enough, they throw a full court press at us that they trap the bejeezus out of at every opportunity.  I can't tell you how long it took us to get past half court, much less actually score.  What I do know is that they broke 100 in a 40 minute running clock game.  I think the final score was in the neighborhood of 120-50.  And the only reason we scored 50 is because they quit playing D so they could snowbird for dunks.

Second game wasn't quite the same but pretty close.  They didn't have as many guys over 6' and they didn't dunk quite as much.  They didn't break 100 either.  But we still lost by like 50.

After that we called the league and told them they can take us off the schedule.  Just wasn't any fun.  The height rule was loosely enforced (meaning not at all) and we were just out of our league.  It's just a bunch young guys who are not only pretty good at basketball but also in primo shape.  Oh to be 20-something again. 

So, feel free to get you a team and join a league if you think you can hang.  Just know that you've been warned.

What year did you play? We played in that league a few years back. Players have to be less than 6'1". You should have protested to the league director.

Our team was probably older than yours, but we had some old athletes (only 2-3 of our guys under 40) with basketball skills, and we always had 9-10 guys show up. So we trailed at half in at least 2/3 of the games, but ended up winning the league, because the younger teams, that showed up with only 6-7 guys, ran out of steam in the second half. We played in the Bronze Division.

hogfan98

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on October 02, 2014, 03:18:11 pm
What year did you play? We played in that league a few years back. Players have to be less than 6'1". You should have protested to the league director.

Our team was probably older than yours, but we had some old athletes (only 2-3 guys under 40) with basketball skills, and we always had 9-10 guys show up. So we trailed at half in at least 2/3 of the games, but ended up winning the league, because the younger teams, that showed up with only 6-7 guys, ran out of steam in the second half. We played in the Bronze Division.

It's been maybe two years or so.  I couldn't tell you the division we were in but knowing who signed us up it was probably the top flight.  Bad idea.  We were pretty thin on subs so that didn't help.  I think we had 8 show up.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: hogfan98 on October 02, 2014, 03:39:16 pm
It's been maybe two years or so.  I couldn't tell you the division we were in but knowing who signed us up it was probably the top flight.  Bad idea.  We were pretty thin on subs so that didn't help.  I think we had 8 show up.

Oh, yeah, that Gold Division is generally pretty salty. We were in the lowest division.

eusebius

Quote from: hogfan98 on October 02, 2014, 12:41:05 pm

This is one of the best things I've ever read on a message board. I can relate on both ends. I 've been the team that got drilled and I have been the drillers. I love when this kind of stuff happens in "church leagues." I've seen it in all sports, but softball may be the worst. My friend plays in a league in North Carolina and it's coed and the teams are supposed to be from the churches. But one team, who called themselves "NEW GRACE" was obviously filled with ringers. The girl that played third was a former college softball player and the rest of the team was loaded. So my friend and his church called foul and checked around and they found out that there was no church called NEW GRACE. Not only was the team stacked, but they weren't even a church. So in response to the protests, the team organizer of NEW GRACE decided to get all theological. His explanation was "a church doesn't have to have a building or any organized structure to be a church. It can meet in a house, or on a softball field and the game can be the service and the fellowship." No word whether NEW GRACE stayed in the league.   
These things I know: There's no doubt Gary Anderson was very underrated . . Ike Forte had the best number ever for a running back and the best thing about the option was that last second pitch right before the DE hits the quarterback.

hogfan98

Quote from: eusebius on October 03, 2014, 10:53:33 am
This is one of the best things I've ever read on a message board. I can relate on both ends. I 've been the team that got drilled and I have been the drillers. I love when this kind of stuff happens in "church leagues." I've seen it in all sports, but softball may be the worst. My friend plays in a league in North Carolina and it's coed and the teams are supposed to be from the churches. But one team, who called themselves "NEW GRACE" was obviously filled with ringers. The girl that played third was a former college softball player and the rest of the team was loaded. So my friend and his church called foul and checked around and they found out that there was no church called NEW GRACE. Not only was the team stacked, but they weren't even a church. So in response to the protests, the team organizer of NEW GRACE decided to get all theological. His explanation was "a church doesn't have to have a building or any organized structure to be a church. It can meet in a house, or on a softball field and the game can be the service and the fellowship." No word whether NEW GRACE stayed in the league.   

I was on a pretty legit team playing intramurals at the U of A and we used to absolutely hammer teams.  During these recent games I remember thinking "So that's what the other teams felt like."

NOTHING surprises me when it comes to softball leagues.  Church, rec, co-ed...it's like the wild west sometimes.  Anything goes.  Funny what people will do just for the sake of winning a softball game.

Hogimus Prime

There was 3 on 3 tournament where I lived that went by the average age of your team and this one guy every year would put his youngest son on his team.  This dude was around 6'4" 230-240 and would be put in a division with us high school kids.  I guess beating up on little high school kids made him feel better about himself.

sasnakrafan

Played Matt Jones in a intramural softball game in the playoffs during college. Team was stacked- I wanna say Jason Peters, Matt, and Jeb Huckeba were the 3 athletes. Girls were just as good as those guys. Matt batted cleanup at 4th or 5th and all the bases were juiced by the time he got up there. He came to bat 4x in 6 innings. All 4x he hit a home run. Needless to say we got mercy ruled. 

root_hawg

Been there, done that...had the knee reconstructed due to it...never again

pignparadise

I played pick up games for years mostly at noon. Played against NBA players  Mark Price and Grant Hill, NFL players Donovan McNabb and Simeon Rice, and Tony Womack (MLB). I thought I was good until an "A" team in Chicago saw me play and asked me to replace Walter Bond who had just been signed by the Mavericks. Played in a league in Evanston and couldn't get my shot off. The players were unreal. I learned that I wasn't that good. Saw  a good friend tear his Achilles so I gave the sport up in my late forties. I miss it but I agree old guys should stick to slow pitch softball. Its a lot easier on the body.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

hawgsmellgud

Quote from: sasnakrafan on October 04, 2014, 10:34:58 am
Played Matt Jones in a intramural softball game in the playoffs during college. Team was stacked- I wanna say Jason Peters, Matt, and Jeb Huckeba were the 3 athletes. Girls were just as good as those guys. Matt batted cleanup at 4th or 5th and all the bases were juiced by the time he got up there. He came to bat 4x in 6 innings. All 4x he hit a home run. Needless to say we got mercy ruled.

Since we are talking basketball, I played pick up ball with matt one day. He would get the rebound dribble down 3-pointer... swish, Never missed. Every now and then he would get bored, and pump fake (reasons unknown, nobody was going to block his shot) and go dunk on whoever couldn't get out of the way fast enough. Luckily I was on his team.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

ldfergu

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to start a City League Sports forum? Would be pretty cool if people contributed and let you know what was available in different areas around the state.

root_hawg

I used to play pro beach volleyball; used to travel a few states for the circuit; had a "church" team call me to see if I could fill in...sure...got to 15-10 and I came up to serve.  Captain called time, came back there and said just jump serve 6 of em so we can win.  So I did, afterwards one of the dads, came over and told me.."Son you do that again in the next game and I am going to kick your arse in the parking lot." 

Yes I did, no he didn't!  What's sad is I would have not done it, if he would have just asked nicely.

wholehog92

I played beach volleyball on the gulf coast while in the military.  The system was the further to the east you went, the better the competition.  My buddy and I fit in pretty well at a mid-level net.  He couldn't play one day and another guy wanted to play and I went to our usual net.  He said I can't play here, it's an #$%hole move.  We've got to play east some.  We went about 5 nets east.  I'm 6' nothin but I could jump to the moon.  I'm standing there looking eye level at everybody else's chest.

I knew I was in trouble.  I did OK for about 3 sets and did OK when that guy was serving as I could do OK on offense.  I've never before had the volley ball bounced off my skull as often as it did that day though.  After you have to max jump every block out of the sand, your lift gets to be less and less every time.  Those guys could just hop enough to clear me.

I don't even remember the set scores, but we didn't win a match.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

mhuff

I used to play some league games in Memphis. We had a pretty good team.... had an AA as well as several that had played college ball. I was about 28 then. However, it didn't take long for me to step on my tongue. That Memphis crowd was fast.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: eusebius on October 03, 2014, 10:53:33 am

That's why church leagues are dying out all over the country, in all sports. The cheaters have run off all the legit teams.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on October 22, 2014, 10:53:36 am
That's why church leagues are dying out all over the country, in all sports. The cheaters have run off all the legit teams.

Yep noticed it here in little ole Van Buren this past summer. 2 maybe 3 teams actually fielded a team from their church. The rest were picking up guys from all over. FBC Alma had Matt Vinson and Tyler Wilson playing on their team. So of course when I was down a few players due to a church function I called Tyler Spoon to come play but he is a member of the church I go to and is in attendance when he isn't out of town for baseball.

root_hawg

We won several open state church tourneys back in the day,  I remember we moved to the town, played one game in the league and after the game that team's coach, yes they had a full time coach, comes invites me to play with them and then asks if we could come to church just once so they could get our name on church roster.

b_stackhouse

I played in a church softball league up in Joplin MO. There was this new church in town that enter 2 teams into the league. Team 1 was LOADED with talent and Team 2 was terrible. We were playing Team 1 and the lead-off hitter gets to 1st base. I ask him, "so where is your church located?" He replies, "I don't have any idea. These guys just asked me to play softball." I had the same exact conversation with the following 5-6 hitters. It made it that much sweeter when we walked-off with the victory.

BRHogfan

https://infinitehoops.com/groups/2302/Bentonville_AR

Maybe you can find something there.  I always played pickup on campus when I was a student.  I think there are basketball courts

You can probably find some pickup games at The Jones Center in Springdale.

A lot of people were talking about volleyball, which I think is a great old or young man sport.  Ozark Volleyball Club was pretty good to me while I was in Fayetteville.