Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any heart rate monitor advice?

Started by McKdaddy, December 22, 2013, 08:39:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

McKdaddy

Anyone use a heart-rate monitor? I'm doing a metabolic/cardio assessment at my gym on Monday, designed to maximize workouts around your O2 intake/usage during exercise and heart rate for levels 1-5 of exercise exertion. Needless to say, exercising afterward is best monitored & maximized via a hrm, but I'm not sure where to start.

TIA
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Dr. Starcs

Check out Polar. I've used their monitors. The one I have is a strap that goes around your chest. But I got that one several years back. The technology has probably changed, but I liked it.

McKdaddy

Pulled(PP)pork

Im using a Garmin, but it's more for outdoor activities

PP

Chief Mac

I use the Polar Bluetooth version that syncs up to your smartphone.  I love it!  Best investment I've made in fitness
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

McKdaddy

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on March 07, 2014, 04:19:13 pm
I use the Polar Bluetooth version that syncs up to your smartphone.  I love it!  Best investment I've made in fitness

+1. Solid app.

I strongly considered the app until I found out that I can't enter my exact HR zones (for those that don't know, it instead bases the HR zones off of your max HR). Looks solid, otherwise, particularly w/ the nice phone-sized screen full of data available to you immediately following the workout. And it is a FREE app. Polar has upgrades you may buy for the app, of course, but the free portion will be sufficient for many people.

My trainer wanted me instead to get a device where I could manually enter my actual zones. I examined the app's zones for me based on my max HR to try to keep from buying an expensive HRM watch, but these default zones were off from my actual zones more than I anticipated...so I bought the watch, the RCX3.

McKdaddy

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 17, 2014, 10:56:36 pm
The battery in my Polar chest strap just went out. It's not replaceable. I guess $100 for four years isn't too bad. But my next one won't have that limitation.

Impressive your last 1 gave you 4 years. Mine has a replaceable battery, and I've already had to replace it after 3.5 months.

hawgrunner

My Garmin HRM3 is on the blink again. So needless to say Garmin doesn't make good heart rate monitor.