• 385,500 Topics
• 21,598 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Uhhhh...Macon tweet  (Read 27511 times)

jry04

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
Re: Uhhhh...Macon tweet
« Reply #500 on: May 05, 2017, 11:18:15 am »

Safe to say, this is a reach. If it were a prevalent part of the process, we'd hear about it much, much more. My guess is that we don't hear about it because it rarely happens. So, this is why I consider your comeback a reach. Bottom line is, he's not likely to find himself in a worse situation with another year of development and a feature role for Arkansas. Anything's possible, but it's not likely that he does not improve in some areas. I'd hate to see him enter the market at this floor, and that's what I think he'd be doing. If Macon was even a borderline NBA draft prospect, I'd be completely fine with his decision to go pro (I didn't have too much issue with Qualls leaving) because I know he'd likely find a good situation. At current, I believe he can do better and I want better for him. Sure, I'd love to selfishly have him back as Hog can because the Hogs would have a good season. No denying that. But I really do want Macon to have a good career playing basketball. I think he'd be leaving a lot of upside on the table and that's just unfortunate, if he does go pro now.
Not sure what you are saying is a reach, but neither are a reach. It happens all the time, especially in baseball. How many foreign contract negotiations do you follow? Hearing about it has nothing to do with how often it happens and everything to do with how much people care about hearing about it. Nobody follows an average junior's contract negotiations with a foreign team, and why would they? The former Hog I know personally did it. He had to negotiate with foreign teams two years in a row. Ended up going after his senior season. I know others athletes who have been through the process while working in the athletic department, but cannot say I know them personally, but I do know how they handled the process. Literally every baseball player drafted does it, too. They set a number that they want and say give me a contract guaranteeing it and I will sign, or I am going back to school. You do not have that option when you are a senior.

I couldn't begin to tell you what Macon has a chance of making or how big of a commodity he would be overseas, but as far as the process he is going through I know because of the people I know who have been through it. If not for them, I would be just like you not knowing and just assuming on how it works. He isn't jumping into this thing blindly. He isn't just stalling because he is on the fence. He is hearing every option and negotiating to see what his best offers are. The fact that he hasn't hired an agent to help him negotiate in these discussions tells me he is at least concerned about remaining eligible at the U of A.

Hawg Red

« Reply #501 on: May 05, 2017, 11:33:10 am »

Not sure what you are saying is a reach, but neither are a reach. It happens all the time, especially in baseball. How many foreign contract negotiations do you follow? Hearing about it has nothing to do with how often it happens and everything to do with how much people care about hearing about it. Nobody follows an average junior's contract negotiations with a foreign team, and why would they? The former Hog I know personally did it. He had to negotiate with foreign teams two years in a row. Ended up going after his senior season. I know others athletes who have been through the process while working in the athletic department, but cannot say I know them personally, but I do know how they handled the process. Literally every baseball player drafted does it, too. They set a number that they want and say give me a contract guaranteeing it and I will sign, or I am going back to school. You do not have that option when you are a senior.

I couldn't begin to tell you what Macon has a chance of making or how big of a commodity he would be overseas, but as far as the process he is going through I know because of the people I know who have been through it. If not for them, I would be just like you not knowing and just assuming on how it works. He isn't jumping into this thing blindly. He isn't just stalling because he is on the fence. He is hearing every option and negotiating to see what his best offers are. The fact that he hasn't hired an agent to help him negotiate in these discussions tells me he is at least concerned about remaining eligible at the U of A.

Without an agent, it would seem to be that it would be pretty tough to gauge your value overseas. Who is doing the legwork on that and checking interest from all of these leagues overseas? Who, if not an agent, has those kind of contacts? My guess is that his options for negotiation are limited for this reason. I'm not really concerned with what goes on in baseball because so much about contracts and drafting is different in baseball and basketball. It's not apples to apples in many regards. I've never made anywhere near the claim that Macon is jumping into this blindly (at least I hope it hasn't come across that way). I'm saying he's selling himself short if he does go pro based on my assumption of what his value likely is right now.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

jry04

• Hogville.net
« Reply #502 on: May 05, 2017, 11:43:27 am »

Without an agent, it would seem to be that it would be pretty tough to gauge your value overseas. Who is doing the legwork on that and checking interest from all of these leagues overseas? Who, if not an agent, has those kind of contacts? My guess is that his options for negotiation are limited for this reason. I'm not really concerned with what goes on in baseball because so much about contracts and drafting is different in baseball and basketball. It's not apples to apples in many regards. I've never made anywhere near the claim that Macon is jumping into this blindly (at least I hope it hasn't come across that way). I'm saying he's selling himself short if he does go pro based on my assumption of what his value likely is right now.
University of Arkansas athletic employees are allowed to provide advice and be present during negotiations, just no lawyers or anyone acting as an agent. Mike's connections get his foot in the door with teams. Also, just by declaring your name is out there so any interested teams will contact the U of A to get in contact with Macon.  It isn't just him against everyone. I don't know what to tell you other than any player who leaves for overseas without discussing and negotiating with teams are complete idiots. Some probably do, but most don't. If he gets an offer he feels is reasonable and plans on leaving, then he has an agent/lawyer look over the contract and negotiate more on his behalf, thus forfeiting his eligibility. He has a good understanding of what he can and can't get well before he reaches that point, though. If he never declares and never puts his name out there he will not know what he can or can't do, though.

Hawg Red

« Reply #503 on: May 05, 2017, 11:56:09 am »

University of Arkansas athletic employees are allowed to provide advice and be present during negotiations, just no lawyers or anyone acting as an agent. Mike's connections get his foot in the door with teams. Also, just by declaring your name is out there so any interested teams will contact the U of A to get in contact with Macon.  It isn't just him against everyone. I don't know what to tell you other than any player who leaves for overseas without discussing and negotiating with teams are complete idiots. Some probably do, but most don't. If he gets an offer he feels is reasonable and plans on leaving, then he has an agent/lawyer look over the contract and negotiate more on his behalf, thus forfeiting his eligibility. He has a good understanding of what he can and can't get well before he reaches that point, though. If he never declares and never puts his name out there he will not know what he can or can't do, though.

I don't have an issue with any of this. Declaring, negotiating, etc. I don't really even have a problem, per se, with him going pro. I mean, I get it. I just think it can be so much better for him if he comes back. I don't know what his goal is, though. I assumed based on his own comments that he actually wants to be a relevant professional basketball player and play in the NBA. Giving up a chance to get drafted next year so he can just take any old pro contract right now (which is my perception of what he'd be doing based on his perceived "stock") is what I don't like. I don't like him selling himself short, and I think he'd be doing that by going pro right now, honestly. But, like you said, he hasn't hired an agent as far as anyone knows, so one would think he hasn't fully decided to go pro. I hope he elects not to. I think whatever the highest number he has been given from a team right now will be there again next summer. I don't see his stock being lower. Might not be higher but I think he's at his professional floor right now. The concerning part is all of the "sources close to Macon" talk that indicates he's set on going pro. If you believe what's been posted by some media members, he's been set on going pro for longer than he's had his name out there as an early entrant.

jry04

• Hogville.net
« Reply #504 on: May 05, 2017, 12:00:03 pm »

I don't have an issue with any of this. Declaring, negotiating, etc. I don't really even have a problem, per se, with him going pro. I mean, I get it. I just think it can be so much better for him if he comes back. I don't know what his goal is, though. I assumed based on his own comments that he actually wants to be a relevant professional basketball player and play in the NBA. Giving up a chance to get drafted next year so he can just take any old pro contract right now (which is my perception of what he'd be doing based on his perceived "stock") is what I don't like. I don't like him selling himself short, and I think he'd be doing that by going pro right now, honestly. But, like you said, he hasn't hired an agent as far as anyone knows, so one would think he hasn't fully decided to go pro. I hope he elects not to. I think whatever the highest number he has been given from a team right now will be there again next summer. I don't see his stock being lower. Might not be higher but I think he's at his professional floor right now. The concerning part is all of the "sources close to Macon" talk that indicates he's set on going pro. If you believe what's been posted by some media members, he's been set on going pro for longer than he's had his name out there as an early entrant.
He may go pro, but the fact he doesn't have an agent proves to me that he is not dead set on it. If he were, like you said, it would be much easier with an agent negotiating on your behalf. The process would take less time, and he wouldn't be wasting his time going to class and working out with the team. He would be working on finding a team.

And I know what your stance is and see why you feel that way, but I was just explaining what I said wasn't a reach like you explicitly said.

widespreadsooie

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #505 on: May 05, 2017, 12:24:14 pm »

Macon coming back, y'all rest easy.

jjdlc

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #506 on: May 05, 2017, 12:43:25 pm »

From former Mizzou players, 3 in fact, that I keep in touch with that play there.

3 is a very very small sample size.  The truth is, there are a lot more horror stories that says the opposite, very very few make great money, and only some make decent, some make peanutes, and aren't even guaranteed a check that wont bounce.  Not every team/league gives them free room and board and pays expenses either.  And I can almost guarantee that every single player is paying taxes to someone, Governments are funny that way, and don't tend to care about sports much.

mizzouman

• Hogville.net
« Reply #507 on: May 05, 2017, 01:16:58 pm »

Where is "there?" Because there are leagues all over the world.
Italy and Korea.

mizzouman

• Hogville.net
« Reply #508 on: May 05, 2017, 01:19:49 pm »

3 is a very very small sample size.  The truth is, there are a lot more horror stories that says the opposite, very very few make great money, and only some make decent, some make peanutes, and aren't even guaranteed a check that wont bounce.  Not every team/league gives them free room and board and pays expenses either.  And I can almost guarantee that every single player is paying taxes to someone, Governments are funny that way, and don't tend to care about sports much.
The 3 are whom I keep in direct contact with.  But, they say the same for others that they know.  So, I can only go by what these guys have said.  Are there horror stories?  I'm sure.  But are there great successes?  Absolutely. 

mizzouman

• Hogville.net
« Reply #509 on: May 05, 2017, 01:23:18 pm »

Italy and Korea.
And by the way, one will go to Germany next year to play his last of his 14 years.  He'll be 36, coming back to the US with a wife and 2 kids and will not have to work another day in his life. 

King Kong

« Reply #510 on: May 05, 2017, 01:28:36 pm »

Whew, I'm so glad you posted this. I feel so much better

daprospecta

« Reply #511 on: May 05, 2017, 01:33:30 pm »

Macon should get his degree to have in his back pocket. I think he should come back because his game got better as the year progressed.  I honestly think he can work his way into a second round pick.  He has some things to work on that can be achieved over a summer of hard work and dedication.  I don't think it's a catastrophic decision if he were to leave but not the best.

widespreadsooie

« Reply #512 on: May 05, 2017, 02:08:31 pm »

Whew, I'm so glad you posted this. I feel so much better

You should.

King Kong

« Reply #513 on: May 05, 2017, 02:26:06 pm »

Birminghog

• Ludwig calls the Hogs at Hogville.net
« Reply #514 on: May 05, 2017, 06:33:20 pm »

And by the way, one will go to Germany next year to play his last of his 14 years.  He'll be 36, coming back to the US with a wife and 2 kids and will not have to work another day in his life.

If that is true, he invested well and resisted the spendthrift urge. Good for him. I hate it when athletes make a ton of money, then lose it because of poor choices, bad advice, leeches, etc.

Best of luck to him. Hopefully he can be a positive influence on other professional athletes, regardless of where they end up playing.

TNhawgfan

• Our home away from home - 7 to 8 wins
« Reply #515 on: May 05, 2017, 08:35:32 pm »

Call me naive, but i believe this elaborate post

hawgmasta

• Hogvillian
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #516 on: May 05, 2017, 08:42:32 pm »

Call me naive, but i believe this elaborate post

Seems legit.

azhog10

• Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #517 on: May 05, 2017, 09:51:47 pm »

Looking more and more promising. But these kids can be fickle.

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"
« Reply #518 on: May 05, 2017, 10:26:36 pm »

That's awesome. Good for him. All to play a game. Would have loved to have that opportunity

East TN HAWG

• Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #519 on: May 06, 2017, 01:41:43 pm »

How?  Considering that he is not attending classes.  I doubt he is academically eligible now.

razorsharp94

• Senior
« Reply #520 on: May 06, 2017, 02:13:23 pm »

How?  Considering that he is not attending classes.  I doubt he is academically eligible now.

Who said he's not attending classes? Another board "reported" he was. Who has the concrete proof? I'm guessing neither board does.

hawgmasta

• Hogvillian
« Reply #521 on: May 06, 2017, 07:10:40 pm »

Who said he's not attending classes? Another board "reported" he was. Who has the concrete proof? I'm guessing neither board does.

The facts and first hand reports on these boards come At you so fast it just messes you up.

Hawg Red

« Reply #522 on: May 06, 2017, 07:20:12 pm »

mizzouman

• Hogville.net
« Reply #523 on: May 06, 2017, 07:41:40 pm »

If that is true, he invested well and resisted the spendthrift urge. Good for him. I hate it when athletes make a ton of money, then lose it because of poor choices, bad advice, leeches, etc.

Best of luck to him. Hopefully he can be a positive influence on other professional athletes, regardless of where they end up playing.
Made a lot if money with no expenses.

Razorod

widespreadsooie

« Reply #525 on: May 06, 2017, 09:43:26 pm »

Arthur pigby sellers.

• Senior
« Reply #526 on: May 06, 2017, 09:51:08 pm »

How the hell can he do that?  I guarantee I make twice what the highest euro guys make.  I'm 42 and still having to work full time for the next 20 years.  He must have played in the NBA some to make that kind of money.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #527 on: May 06, 2017, 10:32:48 pm »

FWIW

jry04

• Hogville.net
« Reply #528 on: May 06, 2017, 10:37:54 pm »

How the hell can he do that?  I guarantee I make twice what the highest euro guys make.  I'm 42 and still having to work full time for the next 20 years.  He must have played in the NBA some to make that kind of money.
This is just an ignorant post. The highest paid euro players make over $1million. You make twice that?

If you truly get a good deal overseas like the ones I know did, then it does not take long to save up.  Even jusy $45-50K/yr with a car and apartment paid for nets you at least $25k/yr. If Mizzouman's player made at least that for 14 years he is coming back with $350k+. My guess is if you are in your 14th year overseas, you will probably make more if you are a halfway decent American player.

Birminghog

• Ludwig calls the Hogs at Hogville.net
« Reply #529 on: May 06, 2017, 10:59:34 pm »

This is just an ignorant post. The highest paid euro players make over $1million. You make twice that?

If you truly get a good deal overseas like the ones I know did, then it does not take long to save up.  Even jusy $45-50K/yr with a car and apartment paid for nets you at least $25k/yr. If Mizzouman's player made at least that for 14 years he is coming back with $350k+. My guess is if you are in your 14th year overseas, you will probably make more if you are a halfway decent American player.

Returning to the subject of Macon, I see in another thread that Qualls is playing in Israel. Do we think Macon is better than Qualls? What is his likely destination if he goes overseas (which we are told a couple of posts ago won't happen anyway)?

hawgmasta

• Hogvillian
« Reply #530 on: May 07, 2017, 09:38:23 am »

Returning to the subject of Macon, I see in another thread that Qualls is playing in Israel. Do we think Macon is better than Qualls? What is his likely destination if he goes overseas (which we are told a couple of posts ago won't happen anyway)?

That's a great question, Qualls definitely has better athleticism and defense. Qualls also is a better scorer when he's on and quite a bit longer.

Macon is a much better all around player though, and is a much more "pure" shooter.  If Macon was closer to Qualls size and hops, I have no doubt he would probably be drafted this year.

And there is a difference between a shooter and scorer, and you can be both if that makes sense.

woodhog14

« Reply #531 on: May 07, 2017, 10:00:36 am »

How the hell can he do that? I guarantee I make twice what the highest euro guys make.  I'm 42 and still having to work full time for the next 20 years.  He must have played in the NBA some to make that kind of money.

Seriously? There are over 35 players making over $1.2M a year in the European League, with the highest paid player making $3.4M.  Come on man.

HoopS

« Reply #532 on: May 07, 2017, 10:05:42 am »

FWIW.....

https://twitter.com/_arhoops/status/860989812899278849
the most important post in this thread. Hopefully it'll get its deserved play before long as others debate the salaries of those playing overseas. Meanwhile our team looks like it has a legit chance again now. But by all means, let's continue the European League talk.

RebHog

• Varsity
« Reply #533 on: May 07, 2017, 11:03:46 am »

the most important post in this thread. Hopefully it'll get its deserved play before long as others debate the salaries of those playing overseas. Meanwhile our team looks like it has a legit chance again now. But by all means, let's continue the European League talk.

Hope this is true I don't see this post anymore on his twitter.

Hawg Red

« Reply #534 on: May 07, 2017, 11:24:47 am »

Hope this is true I don't see this post anymore on his twitter.

It's still there.

Possible Oatmeal

sowmonella

• I am the danger.
« Reply #536 on: May 07, 2017, 11:46:45 am »

Umm who is Nicholas Mason?

Breems

• Gold Hogvillian
  • They grow up so fast
« Reply #537 on: May 07, 2017, 11:54:07 am »

What's Shakin' Macon

• My English Mastiff and #1 Hog fan, Maizy
Re: Uhhhh...Nicholas Mason tweet
« Reply #538 on: May 07, 2017, 12:49:50 pm »

He may end up being right, but I doubt he knows anything.

HOGINTENNESSEE

« Reply #540 on: May 07, 2017, 01:23:41 pm »

More tweets from him...he doesn't know anything definitively.  Hope he is right tho.

https://twitter.com/_ARHoops/status/861013592241569792

https://twitter.com/_ARHoops/status/861003265537953793

https://twitter.com/_ARHoops/status/861001999676002304

https://twitter.com/_ARHoops/status/860999738140884992

https://twitter.com/_ARHoops/status/858848525240741888

https://twitter.com/_ARHoops/status/858817308248199168

https://twitter.com/_ARHoops/status/858385769911787520

The tweets from April 29 are irrelevant now. I'm curious why you didn't post anything of his tweets back and forth between him and Barford about 4 on 4 and 5 on 5 games to hundred?

Don't want to show that he is connected?

SONofHAM

• Hogvillian
« Reply #541 on: May 07, 2017, 01:32:11 pm »

The tweets from April 29 are irrelevant now. I'm curious why you didn't post anything of his tweets back and forth between him and Barford about 4 on 4 and 5 on 5 games to hundred?

Don't want to show that he is connected?
Hmmmm...you're clearly trying to pick a fight.

All I did was show more of his tweets.  As you can see from yesterday...even he said he doesn't know for sure.  People are acting like his tweet is official news.  I also said I hope he's right.

I'm aware he is a radio personality as well as a friend to many current and former Hogs. 

What's your issue?

TNhawgfan

• Our home away from home - 7 to 8 wins
« Reply #542 on: May 07, 2017, 02:15:39 pm »

Mason's texts are encouraging but meaningless. Looking forward to Macon's texts so we can put this to bed

HOGINTENNESSEE

« Reply #543 on: May 07, 2017, 02:34:48 pm »

Hmmmm...you're clearly trying to pick a fight.

All I did was show more of his tweets.  As you can see from yesterday...even he said he doesn't know for sure.  People are acting like his tweet is official news.  I also said I hope he's right.

I'm aware he is a radio personality as well as a friend to many current and former Hogs. 

What's your issue?

To me it appeared you only picked the tweets that only supported the point you were trying to make. Especially going back to April 29th to disprove his tweet from yesterday. Instead of presenting all sides.

That I have a problem with.

SONofHAM

• Hogvillian
« Reply #544 on: May 07, 2017, 03:13:51 pm »

To me it appeared you only picked the tweets that only supported the point you were trying to make. Especially going back to April 29th to disprove his tweet from yesterday. Instead of presenting all sides.

That I have a problem with.
I posted all the tweets I could find where Nick Mason commented on the subject of Macon/Barford leaving.   

I don't know why anyone would not want Macon back.  I even said I hope Mason is correct in his tweet.  My point is that even Mason said yesterday he doesn't know what he will do...only that he thinks he knows what he will do.  So basically, we are still in the same boat we were before the tweet.

Hopefully Macon ends our suspense soon.  We need both he and Barford back if we want to dance again.

East TN HAWG

• Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #545 on: May 07, 2017, 04:07:17 pm »

Its been posted on here that he was not attending class.  I hope its wrong.

Porked Tongue

• Global Moderator
  • Moderator Supremacist
« Reply #546 on: May 07, 2017, 04:59:45 pm »

He was going to some classes. He's taking finals.

I posted that already umpteen pages back.

Hogberry Snortcake

• Hogvillian
  • "Something profound." -Someone Famous
« Reply #547 on: May 07, 2017, 05:04:41 pm »

He was going to some classes. He's taking finals.

I posted that already umpteen pages back.

Good to hear.

HOGINTENNESSEE

« Reply #548 on: May 07, 2017, 05:11:06 pm »

It appears as though its you attempting to pick a fight.  All he did was provide information.  Some of which a lot of us have not seen.  I'm appreciative of it over all the life-coach advice I've seen on this thread!

What Nick Mason tweet on April 29 and 30 is irrelevant, considering Nick is in atleast weekly contact with Barford and Macon

Porked Tongue

• Global Moderator
  • Moderator Supremacist
« Reply #549 on: May 07, 2017, 05:40:59 pm »

What Nick Mason tweet on April 29 and 30 is irrelevant, considering Nick is in atleast weekly contact with Barford and Macon
Pretty much EVERY Nick Mason tweet is irrelevant.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas