Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Softball vs OU

Started by psycHOGlogist, April 21, 2016, 02:53:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

psycHOGlogist

The Hogs dropped a close 3-1 decision to #9 Oklahoma last night, setting an attendance record for Bogle Park at the same time.

We played fairly well, but I'm not sure the final score is an accurate reflection - we never really threatened OU. Moll pitched pretty well and really had a lot of their (young) hitters guessing, and she benefited a bit from their impatience at the plate. She loaded the bases a couple times, but mostly with singles, not walks, and did a nice job getting herself out of it with minimal damage (as opposed to the big inning that has hurt us so often this year). It was a very good performance, and after the game OU Coach Gasso really praised Moll.

We didn't have much offense to speak of, unfortunately. Their pitcher, Paige Parker, was the Nat'l Freshman of the Year last year, and she's pretty tough. We scattered several hits off of her, but never really put a sustained threat together. Our only run came B7 after an error and some stupid plays by their defense. But we kept it close against a very good team and had a nice bounce back effort after the absolutely disastrous Auburn series. I hope this gives the team some confidence/momentum going in to the series against Ole Miss, which is really (imo) our last chance for another conference win this season.

Also, Ashley Diaz was just named to the NFCA National Freshman of the Year Top 25 Watchlist. There is no way she will get it, but it's a great honor and definitely something to build on. Congrats to Ashley!!