Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Enlisted AF thinking about going Army Warrant

Started by AFWarrior83, September 09, 2016, 03:18:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AFWarrior83

Hello fellow service members, I would like to humbly request your opinion on the pros/cons of going from the Air Force to the Army.

Here's my career info:
-13 years active duty enlisted AF

- AFSC is 2T2X1, which is Air Transportation (HAZMAT preparer, Joint Inspection, and Load Planner qualified).

- 33 years old

- E-6 and eligible to test for E-7 (I don't see myself making E8/E9, unless I stay >20 years).

- PT Test breakdown (took earlier this week): 35" waist, 5'9, 190 lbs, 57 push-ups/54 sit-ups in one minute, 12:09 1.5 mi run. Scored 90.9, which is in the excellent category

- Education: Two 2 year Associate degrees (CCAF and UMUC) and 8 to 12 classes from my Bachelors degree in Management Studies

- Good hearing and eye sight (both sides).

I'm at the point in my career that I am running out of time to have options. My AF career has been good overall, but not great, which is why I don't see myself making it past E-7, which is what majority of AF personnel retire. It's too late to switch to officer, plus I don't want to be put in a leadership role, I want to continue doing my job. From the little bit I do know about Warrant Officers, they are Subject Matter Experts (SME's) that are separate from Enlisted Army troops. Warrants work directly for commanders, which I have experience doing.

I think Warrant Mobility Officer would fit my background best, because I have plenty of experiencing with troop movements via airlift. My only reservations are that I really don't want to go through another basic training and get darn on because I'm a former "Flyboy". I also have no idea what the quality of life would be compared to what I've experienced in the AF. I don't know how often Warrant Mobility Officers deploy, where they can get stationed, etc. Basically I want to put my education and experience to use, and it seems like Warrant is the way to go, but I don't want to separate from the Air Force blindly. I want to know what to expect.

If any of you are Warrants or know anyone who is a Warrant Mobility Officer, please shoot me a message or reply to my post on here. I'm looking to submit my package sometime next year. My current DOS from the AF is Jan 2018.

P.S. Feel free to ask questions, of that will help you formulate a response.

Thank you in advance.
-Marc
Hogville member since 2005.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Warrant is the quickest way to become an officer in the Army. I love it. But I'm a pilot and not a walking warrant, so your experience may vary.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

AFWarrior83

Quote from: The Chief on September 10, 2016, 01:32:54 am
Warrant is the quickest way to become an officer in the Army. I love it. But I'm a pilot and not a walking warrant, so your experience may vary.

Thanks for the feedback. Have you always been in the Army? Flying would be cool, but I think my background is better suited to go Mobility Officer. I just don't know what to expect if I have to read compliant basic, and what Warrant school is like.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on September 10, 2016, 07:52:37 pm
Thanks for the feedback. Have you always been in the Army? Flying would be cool, but I think my background is better suited to go Mobility Officer. I just don't know what to expect if I have to read compliant basic, and what Warrant school is like.

As long as you are decently physically fit and have patience to go to basic with 18 year olds, you'll be fine.

WOCS is becoming a joke. Just be able to run. Actually, I'm not sure they run you to death anymore. Just pass the entry and graduating PT test and some simple academics and you'll be fine.

I was enlisted for four years in the Army before attending WOCS.

As far as flying goes, at 33, you're on a time line to get into the program. I think 36 is the max age, but it could be younger. You don't have to have any flight experience to become a helicopter pilot, just be able to paas the flight physical and aptitude tests (and get accepted to WOCS).

Good luck to you. You can contact an Army Human Resources Command Warrant Officer recruiter with further questions.

hrc.army.mil
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Boll Hawg

I'm a 35yr old 2T271.  12 years of service, but I had a break in service a while back.  I'm an E-6, but should be looking at E-7 in another year or so.  But I'm also in the Air Guard, not active.  I have a masters degree and teach in my civilian career, but am happy with the enlisted life.  I've been asked repeatedly why I never pursued OCS.  I've observed the politics involved with the process and just enjoy going to drill with no huge responsibilities attached.  The extra $ and retirement would be great, but money isn't everything.

I couldn't imagine going back through basic.   
Father, Husband, Teacher, Veteran

AFWarrior83

Quote from: Boll Hawg on September 12, 2016, 09:07:49 am
I'm a 35yr old 2T271.  12 years of service, but I had a break in service a while back.  I'm an E-6, but should be looking at E-7 in another year or so.  But I'm also in the Air Guard, not active.  I have a masters degree and teach in my civilian career, but am happy with the enlisted life.  I've been asked repeatedly why I never pursued OCS.  I've observed the politics involved with the process and just enjoy going to drill with no huge responsibilities attached.  The extra $ and retirement would be great, but money isn't everything.

I couldn't imagine going back through basic.   

I never considered switching branches until I joined a contingency unit back in 2013. Since then, I've had the opportunity to experience life outside of an Aerial Port, and have worked with Army troops on many occasions. With my qualification, I'm performing some similar roles as Army CGO's (load planning and being responsible for a team). I also see how the Army offers more training opportunities for airborne, air assault, etc. I never cared to do this when I was younger, but now that my retirement is only one enlistment away, I would like to try to earn these badges.

Plus, when I make E-7, I'll be strictly admin, and that isn't what I want to do. From the little bit I do know about non-flying Warrant's, they are SME's that are advisors to the commander on whatever their specialty is, and they are separate from the enlisted. It's not that I don't like enlisted, I just don't want to push paperwork all day and deal with personnel issues.

The main thing is that I just think I could be a good Warrant Mobility Officer with the experience I've gained as a 2T2. But I want to talk to people before I make a decision. I'd prefer to speak with a couple Mobility Warrants to see what id be getting into, but it's also good to hear from warrants in general, because they know what it takes to become one.

On the active enlisted side, its political the same as officers, and I am currently responsible for 20 personnel. I have additional duties as well. I also care more about retirement, because I get it as soon as I retire. The  guard/reserve don't start receiving mil retirement until they are in their 60's to my knowledge, and they also have other careers. I don't have another career established though, so it will take me some time to find a job after retirement.

Anyways, I do value your opinion. Thank you.

AFWarrior83

Quote from: The Chief on September 10, 2016, 10:45:17 pm
As long as you are decently physically fit and have patience to go to basic with 18 year olds, you'll be fine.

WOCS is becoming a joke. Just be able to run. Actually, I'm not sure they run you to death anymore. Just pass the entry and graduating PT test and some simple academics and you'll be fine.

I was enlisted for four years in the Army before attending WOCS.

As far as flying goes, at 33, you're on a time line to get into the program. I think 36 is the max age, but it could be younger. You don't have to have any flight experience to become a helicopter pilot, just be able to paas the flight physical and aptitude tests (and get accepted to WOCS).

Good luck to you. You can contact an Army Human Resources Command Warrant Officer recruiter with further questions.

hrc.army.mil

According to the AF, I'm in good shape per their fitness test, but our run is only 1.5 miles. My unit only runs 3 miles once a week, and ruck 3 miles once a week, so I wouldn't say I'm really fit. And that more fitness training than most units in the AF. We only do it because I'm in a contingency unti. For my age I'm doing alright, but I'm not a fast runner per say. My mile pace is around 9 minutes per mile, but I can maintain that for 4-5 miles right now. If I trained more, I could lower my run pace by a minute after a month or two. From what I've read, I wouldn't go through with 18 year olds, I'd go through basic with other prior service members. I'll use that web link you provided to try and gather more info.

Thanks again.

Snorts

Just now found this thread.

I was an E-7 in the Army NG.  I ran my section in Brigade HQ, was pretty much left alone as not many people knew much about what we did.  I was approached and asked if I wanted to become a Warrant Officer, as our TO and E had changed, and two O-3 slots had become CW3 slots.

I said sure, wondering if life would actually get better from a Warrant's perspective.  The pay difference between an E-7 and a WO1 was negligible.

Becoming a Warrant Officer was, at the time, a real chore.  The application process took almost a year, lots of stuff needed, then you had to get through WOCS, which was a stone cold bitch.  Lots and lots of PT, lots and lots of harassment.  I remember not having 5 minutes of time to myself the entire school, every minute was filled with something.  The mental pressure was huge.  I understand things aren't as "rough" these days, but that's the way of every school, eh?  "Boy, it was really tough back in my day."

Long story short, life as a Warrant was great.  I treasured my time as an Enlisted soldier (and Airman) very much, but things were a lot better as a Warrant.  Once you reach WO2 you are no longer a "warrant" officer, but commissioned as every other Officer in the Armed Forces.  You are treated as such.  You can command units, boats, sections, and CW3 and above are considered Field Grade Officers.

If you have a chance to go Warrant, I highly recommend that career path.