Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UA Trustees Meet, Take No Action on Long, Bielema

Started by Scott Marshall, November 09, 2017, 12:47:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

moses_007

Yeah, and Mr. Integrity could ruin his third straight football program......

KennyForAD

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on November 09, 2017, 03:33:52 pm
As a sitting member of a Board of Education, I have had dozens of hours of training on this topic. Boards don't RUN the institution they are over. They OVERSEE it. They work exclusively through a chancellor just like we work through a superintendent. Chancellors and Superintendents RUN their institutions.

Like I said, I know you're right.  Not the point.   Is the paper reporting, or at least strongly suggesting that BB's and Long's employment are in question?  Is anyone at the school denying it?   That's all I know and its all I NEED to know.

KennyForAD

Quote from: moses_007 on November 09, 2017, 03:38:30 pm
Yeah, and Mr. Integrity could ruin his third straight football program......

He would agree to just be a figurehead at Auburn and get paid to do absolutely nothing, while giving Auburn the appearance of integrity.

BadHog

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 09, 2017, 03:39:58 pm
Like I said, I know you're right.  Not the point.   Is the paper reporting, or at least strongly suggesting that BB's and Long's employment are in question?  Is anyone at the school denying it?   That's all I know and its all I NEED to know.

There is no "question" about their future employment at the UA.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 09, 2017, 01:40:08 pm
He's got a guarantee to be paid, not to remain on the job.

Obviously.  Just like any other guarantee.

But some were stating that his "contract had not been renewed", as if his contract ran out at the end of the current calendar year, or some such.

That is clearly not the case.

Now - just as Petrino was fired in the middle of his contract, anyone can be relived of their duties at any time.  Depending on their employment agreement, the consequences of that act may cost the employer more or less.  In this case, were Long to be dismissed, they (Long's side) would start the negotiations from the standpoint of Long being owed for the remainder of the 5 years.

redleg

What'cha wanna bet they told Long that if he wants to keep his job, he'll fire Bielema the day after the Mizzou game regardless what happens between now and then, annnnnd...I wonder if they gave him a list of possible coaching hires that they (the Board) will be in on?
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: redleg on November 09, 2017, 03:49:56 pm
What'cha wanna bet they told Long that if he wants to keep his job, he'll fire Bielema the day after the Mizzou game regardless what happens between now and then, annnnnd...I wonder if they gave him a list of possible coaching hires that they (the Board) will be in on?
They most certainly did none of those things because Boards can't do those things. Boards certainly don't hire football coaches. Boards only hire the coach the Chancellor recommends them to hire. Boards don't interview, vet, or provide lists. It isn't their job.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on November 09, 2017, 03:53:05 pm
They most certainly did none of those things because Boards can't do those things. Boards certainly don't hire football coaches. Boards only hire the coach the Chancellor recommends them to hire. Boards don't interview, vet, or provide lists. It isn't their job.
I suspect that's very true. I could certainly understand the "arm's length" approach to such. However, that doesn't necessarily preclude the BOT from mentioning any rumblings, feed back or other communication they're heard regarding a particular coach/program. Obviously this is something that we'll just have to monitor to see what might be revealed.

hobhog

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on November 09, 2017, 03:53:05 pm

Correct. But you can also be sure Long didn't enjoy being called to board. I'll consider this a kind of "shot over the bow" type situation.

EastexHawg

I think what a lot of us understand is that for some reason there is a tremendous effort being made by some to convince the rest that the Arkansas BOT not only didn't discuss the future of the Razorback athletic department, but probably isn't concerned in the least by the job performances of Jeff Long and Bret Bielema.

The one question they can't really answer to anyone's satisfaction is...if the Board isn't considering change and doesn't concern itself with football, or really athletics in general, why was Jeff Long there?

jkstock04

I'm late to this party today...but looks like there was a lot of smoke that didn't amount to much. Good thing about this is maybe it's the beginning of the end for Long.

Simple perception and what is being said...among the media as well (some of this is a shocker) will no doubt create turmoil and hopefully a change eventually. I don't care what it takes, I'm ready for a chance in culture within our program. Right now there is a perception (whether you believe it or not it is there) that our administration, especially Jeff Long doesn't care about having a winning football program. I'm ready for that to change.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 09, 2017, 03:57:46 pm
I suspect that's very true. I could certainly understand the "arm's length" approach to such. However, that doesn't necessarily preclude the BOT from mentioning any rumblings, feed back or other communication they're heard regarding a particular coach/program. Obviously this is something that we'll just have to monitor to see what might be revealed.
They most certainly did that and have been doing that individually to the Chancellor for weeks.

Keep this in mind too. Two or more board members can not even sit down and talk outside of a meeting unless they let the press know what is being discussed. FOIA in Arkansas is one of the strictest in America.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 09, 2017, 01:09:11 pm
Because I told them that they had succeeded in running me off?
They are so gullable.  There would have been Monk videos if you were gone.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on November 09, 2017, 04:01:56 pm
They most certainly did that and have been doing that individually to the Chancellor for weeks.

Keep this in mind too. Two or more board members can not even sit down and talk outside of a meeting unless they let the press know what is being discussed. FOIA in Arkansas is one of the strictest in America.

For some reason I thought FOIA was a fed thing, not a state thing.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 09, 2017, 04:12:14 pm
For some reason I thought FOIA was a fed thing, not a state thing.
Some of it is but Arkansas also has its own laws.

KennyForAD

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 09, 2017, 04:01:17 pm
I'm late to this party today...but looks like there was a lot of smoke that didn't amount to much. Good thing about this is maybe it's the beginning of the end for Long.

Simple perception and what is being said...among the media as well (some of this is a shocker) will no doubt create turmoil and hopefully a change eventually. I don't care what it takes, I'm ready for a chance in culture within our program. Right now there is a perception (whether you believe it or not it is there) that our administration, especially Jeff Long doesn't care about having a winning football program. I'm ready for that to change.

Yes.  This is why I'm happy.   Anyone here ever served on a jury?   People think that when a jury is out a long time, that the "jury" is pouring over the evidence, or that "the jury" is doing this or that, as if a jury is a single entity instead of what it really is, a collection of individuals.   Wrong.  When a jury is out long, it means that some jurors are fighting with other jurors over which verdict to render. 

There is a similar fight going on right now over Long.  The good guys are making their case to everyone they can and gaining support to fire Long.  Long's plants are trying to defend him.  THAT is what's going on.   Power struggle.   All we need to know is that the good guys have succeeded in getting the issue of Long's future employment, 'on the table.'

It is now just a matter of time, and Long will be gone by Christmas.  The rat is not stupid.  He sees the writing on the wall and is looking for a new gig.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on November 09, 2017, 04:07:45 pm
They are so gullable.  There would have been Monk videos if you were gone.

... when Jesus has his final Judgment Day. 

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 09, 2017, 04:14:53 pm
Yes.  This is why I'm happy.   Anyone here ever served on a jury?   People think that when a jury is out a long time, that the "jury" is pouring over the evidence, or that "the jury" is doing this or that, as if a jury is a single entity instead of what it really is, a collection of individuals.   Wrong.  When a jury is out long, it means that some jurors are fighting with other jurors over which verdict to render. 

There is a fight going on over Long.  The good guys are making their case to everyone they can and gaining support to fire Long.  Long's plants are trying to defend him.  THAT is what's going on.   Power struggle.   All we need to know is that the good guys have succeeded in getting the issue of Long's future employment, 'on the table.'

It is now just a matter of time, and Long will be gone by Christmas.  The rat is not stupid.  He sees the writing on the wall and is looking for a new gig.
As far as the jury part goes, I can somewhat concur having been the chairman of a hung jury. One juror was all it took to derail the whole thing.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on November 09, 2017, 04:19:14 pm
As far as the jury part goes, I can somewhat concur having been the chairman of a hung jury. One juror was all it took to derail the whole thing.

As soon as everyone agrees, you get a verdict.  Quick, before anyone changes his mind.  lol. 

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on November 09, 2017, 04:19:14 pm

Just curious, what are the minimum requirements to be on a hung jury?  Asking for a friend...
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

KennyForAD

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 09, 2017, 04:23:43 pm
Just curious, what are the minimum requirements to be on a hung jury?  Asking for a friend...

Depends if it is criminal or civil.  All criminal verdicts must be UNANIMOUS (in all the U.S.)  Most civil cases require 10 out of 12 or 5 out of 6.  (In Texas, and probably Arkansas and most places, but I only know Texas for sure.)

In a criminal case, if the jury cannot reach a UNANIMOUS verdict, the judge will tell them to try harder, then ultimately declare a mistrial due to a hung jury... and the case gets reset for another trial date and you start all over with a new jury panel -

LAGNAF

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 09, 2017, 12:56:19 pm
Where are all the Jeff Long Minion Trolls today?    hmmmmmm

I'm neither a minion nor a troll but I call bull on Long being gone by Christmas.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 09, 2017, 04:25:28 pm
Depends if it is criminal or civil.  All criminal verdicts must be UNANIMOUS (in all the U.S.)  Most civil cases require 10 out of 12 or 5 out of 6.  (In Texas, and probably most places.

Well, here in Texas we're all hung.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 09, 2017, 04:26:27 pm

"I always heard that everything was bigger in Texas.  When I went down there, I wasn't all that impressed."   -- My high school principal, who was 7'2" tall and probably 400 pounds without an ounce of fat on him.  True story.   He was funny.

Eddie Goodson

One stubborn woman.

And if you have to ask....

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 09, 2017, 04:25:28 pm
Depends if it is criminal or civil.  All criminal verdicts must be UNANIMOUS (in all the U.S.)  Most civil cases require 10 out of 12 or 5 out of 6.  (In Texas, and probably most places.)

In a criminal case, if the jury cannot reach a UNANIMOUS verdict, the judge will tell them to try harder, then ultimately declare a mistrial due to a hung jury... and the case gets reset for another trial date and you start all over with a new jury panel -
Vehicular Homicide.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 09, 2017, 04:26:27 pm

Oh no.  Here I was getting on someone else for being too "straight."   LMOA myself.   I gave the wrong answer.

KennyForAD

8.5 inches.   That's a hard rule.

hawganatic

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 09, 2017, 04:00:12 pm
I think what a lot of us understand is that for some reason there is a tremendous effort being made by some to convince the rest that the Arkansas BOT not only didn't discuss the future of the Razorback athletic department, but probably isn't concerned in the least by the job performances of Jeff Long and Bret Bielema.

The one question they can't really answer to anyone's satisfaction is...if the Board isn't considering change and doesn't concern itself with football, or really athletics in general, why was Jeff Long there?

There could be a number of reasons he was there.  Talk about the stadium expansion.  Talk about overall finances.  Talk about (insert the thousand other things an AD is responsible for).  They very well could have talked to him about where the football program is going.

But one thing that has been put out on the board today, and I haven't seen ANYBODY refute with a solid argument, is that the board DOES NOT hire/fire coaches or athletic directors. 

I'd love to see one example of where a coach was removed from his position through a BOT meeting.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on November 09, 2017, 04:32:49 pm
Vehicular Homicide.

Spoke too soon..  haha.

If a man is charged with the CRIME of Vehicular Homicide, the jury must reach a unanimous verdict to either convict or acquit the defendant.

If the man is being sued for wrongful death in civil court, 10 out of 12 jurors agreeing will result in a verdict.  (In Texas, and probably in Arkansas- but I try not to look up Arkansas law because I found it to be too disturbing the few times I have)

farmhawg

Quote from: ricepig on November 09, 2017, 01:15:21 pm
Show me on the agenda where they were suppose to vote on Long's contract, I'll hang up and listen.
Yes, and your also the one that said the board wouldn't talk about long......seems like a lot of their time was spent on the dumpster fire.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

ricepig

Quote from: farmhawg on November 09, 2017, 04:45:27 pm
Yes, and your also the one that said the board wouldn't talk about long......seems like a lot of their time was spent on the dumpster fire.

So, you've heard what was talked about, got a recording to share? For all we know the board spent all their time on the tenure policy that has caused lots of consternation, true???

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: farmhawg on November 09, 2017, 04:45:27 pm
Yes, and your also the one that said the board wouldn’t talk about long......seems like a lot of their time was spent on the dumpster fire.
No one knows that. They have several universities to cover. They are also restricted in what conversations they can have even in executive session. If they were in executive session with no chancellors present, they are pretty much limited to discussions of the job performance of the chancellors themselves. If a Chancellor is present, they can discuss hirings, firings, or demotions a Chancellor is recommending. You folks have to understand there are great limitations to what a Board can legally do.

Ex-Trumpet

Ex-Trumpet

parallaxpig

Things I do know........

1.     Bret Bielema has lost a portion of the fan base.

2.     Sports media now in attack mode. They ask provocative questions at press conferences. They openly talk of his firing on talk radio, social and print media.

3.     I have been to every game at Razorback Stadium (minus 4 or 5) since we joined SEC. The CC Homecoming game was by far the smallest crowd I have ever seen. For the posters who say that tickets sold is all University cares about I say yes that's important. But...... low attendance effects concessions sold, hotel rooms sold, restaurants visited, etc, etc, etc. People do notice low attendance.

Whether BOT talked about athletics today, who knows. But there is too much buzz in the air about our current coach not to believe that something or someone is going to change..............
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Jimbob111

Quote from: Kevin on November 09, 2017, 12:53:51 pm
no way, auburn will do whatever it takes to win. look at their history.

Agreed. Long is a terrible fit for Auburn.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

buldozer

Quote from: ricepig on November 09, 2017, 04:51:38 pm
For all we know the board spent all their time on the tenure policy that has caused lots of consternation, true???
Do you have a recording? For all we know they talked about letting Long and CBB go and discussed how to implement the
decision with the Chancellor.... There is a reason that Jeff Long wasted most of his day sitting outside the BOT meeting, and it wasn't for his tenure

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: buldozer on November 09, 2017, 05:35:30 pm
Do you have a recording? For all we know they talked about letting Long and CBB go and discussed how to implement the
decision with the Chancellor.... There is a reason that Jeff Long wasted most of his day sitting outside the BOT meeting, and it wasn't for his tenure

He was Chancellor's Uber driver...had a round trip contract.

ricepig

Quote from: buldozer on November 09, 2017, 05:35:30 pm

I thought he wasted all of his days, I figured that was the norm. He was there because the Chancellor asked him to be there, he is his boss, so you go. I don't know what was said, no one does, correct?

moses_007

The fact this is even reported in this newspaper should be of grave concern to both Long and BB.  Either, or both, may be without a job.

Hogs-n-Roses

I was told silence on the issues with Long would be golden. He's already tried to place himself at Nebraska. Look for more of the same. He might just decide he isn't wanted around here and to stay could drag up lots of unnecessary junk associated with major projects. Could tarnish his "uncommon name". IE I think I'm not liked round here anymore, lets get out now before they paint a bad picture of me to get it done.

KennyForAD

KennyForAD

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on November 09, 2017, 06:16:42 pm
I was told silence on the issues with Long would be golden. He's already tried to place himself at Nebraska. Look for more of the same. He might just decide he isn't wanted around here and to stay could drag up lots of unnecessary junk associated with major projects. Could tarnish his "uncommon name". IE I think I'm not liked round here anymore, lets get out now before they paint a bad picture of me to get it done.

BOOM.   Except there's no need to 'paint' him that way.   'Expose' would be more on point.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog