Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Video: Sprinkle Discusses Belk Bowl Incident, Senior Bowl

Started by Jason Carroll, January 25, 2017, 12:11:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Carroll

Former Hog tight end Jeremy Sprinkle spoke to our cameras at the Senior Bowl on Tuesday night where he addressed the Belk Bowl shoplifting incident, moving forward and trying to impress at the Senior Bowl this week.

http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/sprinkle-addresses-belk-bowl-incident-at-the-senior-bowl/645190306

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

nchogg

JS is a grown man, no excuse for what he did and no apology will excuse it.

Razinhail

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 25, 2017, 09:41:57 am
It's called integrity...

Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one else knows about it and a mistake is forgetting your car keys. He made a conscious decision to do the wrong thing. I hope he learns from it, but there is no excuse or explanation for that type of behavior, especially in the situation in which it occurred.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Boarcephus

Would he still feel it was a "dumb mistake" if he hadn't got caught? 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

nchogg

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 26, 2017, 07:08:23 am
I doubt it, he probably would have thought (look what I got) and not told anyone.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 26, 2017, 07:08:23 am
of course not. He made a conscious decision to steal.

Boarcephus

I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

HogShat

I wish I was as perfect as you guys. Been thru some real tough things in the last couple years. One thing I learned was to not judge others just because they sin different than you do...

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: HogShat on January 26, 2017, 08:27:10 am
I wish I was as perfect as you guys. Been thru some real tough things in the last couple years. One thing I learned was to not judge others just because they sin different than you do...

Yes!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Pork Twain

Quote from: HogShat on January 26, 2017, 08:27:10 am
I am far from perfect but it is far past time we stopped making excuses for how student athletes carry themselves and represent the university and the state.  You are a Sr starting TE for a bowl team and you steal from the sponsor of the bowl?  Sad way to be remembered.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

SamBuckhart

Quote from: nchogg on January 25, 2017, 04:48:57 pm
JS is a grown man, no excuse for what he did and no apology will excuse it.
No amount of talking about it is going to increase his standing at the next level. At least he didn't drunk with a stolen pistol and drive at high speeds. Oops. Alabam only.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Razinhail on January 25, 2017, 06:28:52 pm
Snip...Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one else knows about it and a mistake is forgetting your car keys.

Please pardon me if I plagiarize that comment sometime in the future. That is gold.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

HogShat

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 26, 2017, 09:14:27 am
I am far from perfect but it is far past time we stopped making excuses for how student athletes carry themselves and represent the university and the state.  You are a Sr starting TE for a bowl team and you steal from the sponsor of the bowl?  Sad way to be remembered.

I did not hear or see anyone make an excuse for him. Nobody said he is poor and from a small town and it wasn't fair that he couldn't afford those games. Nobody said the he poured his heart and soul into the Hogs and just felt like he would take a little for himself and that is ok. That way of thinking is definitely out there, but he didn't allude to it. He admitted it was a dumb mistake and took his licks and is moving on. This was a very valuable life lesson for him and you are 100% correct that it is a sad way to be remembered. But I bet it isn't near as sad for you as it is for him. or his parents.

PorkRinds

If Sprinkle had an all American season and the hogs won 10 games at least half of the people dogging him would be singing a much different tune. Loyalty should not be tied to wins and losses.

hawganatic

it and a mistake is forgetting your car keys.

If it wasn't a mistake than what was it?  Just because something was conscience doesn't mean it can't be a mistake.

Boarcephus

Quote from: hawganatic on January 26, 2017, 02:43:46 pm
If it wasn't a mistake than what was it?  Just because something was conscience doesn't mean it can't be a mistake.

shoplifting.

daprospecta

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 26, 2017, 09:14:27 am
I don't think people will forget about the incident but when I think of Sprinkle, I think of a really good TE we had for four years. If the first thing that comes to a person's mind is he stole something, that says a lot about the person.

hawganatic

Boarcephus

Quote from: hawganatic on January 26, 2017, 03:23:29 pm
You're a friggen genius...

And you're unable to call a thief a thief.  It's a mistake if he gets to the hotel and finds he has merchandise in his bag he had neglected to pay for and returns it but this wasn't the case. 

It matters not that Sprinkle was football player for the Hogs.  It appears he stole from a retail store. commonly called shoplifting.  This happens a lot and much of it is not caught.  Sprinkle knew he was breaking the law and did it anyway.  He knew what could happen and did it anyway.  He got caught.  He got punished.  I guess he may have been required to return the stuff and he may have a court date, I don't know.  He knew if caught it could effect him at the next level.  NFL teams will see this as not a big deal other than it puts into question Sprinkle's ability to make good decisions which could effect his level of play.  Also, no NFL team needs the attention and unless Sprinkle is high on someone's need list, it will be part of a deciding factor if and when he gets taken in the draft.  This little screw up will likely cost Sprinkle way more than just a very bad day and not getting to play in a loss in the bowl game.

LZH

Swiping a couple hundred dollars worth of darn likely cost him well over a million dollars. What the hell are these kids thinking? Wait until after the draft and you can take your new Visa platinum card and buy whatever you want to.

farmhawg

Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one else knows about it and a mistake is forgetting your car keys. He made a conscious decision to do the wrong thing. I hope he learns from it, but there is no excuse or explanation for that type of behavior, especially in the situation in which it occurred.
I bet that was not his first time.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

goodguytex

Quote from: LZH on January 26, 2017, 05:40:19 pm
Swiping a couple hundred dollars worth of darn likely cost him well over a million dollars. What the hell are these kids thinking? Wait until after the draft and you can take your new Visa platinum card and buy whatever you want to.
If he doesn't have a solid career in the pros and winds up trying to return to Arkansas for a career in the private sector at a company like Walmart, for instance, he may have more difficulty getting hired with shoplifting on his record like that.

Especially since he was a senior starter on a shopping spree already paid for when he did it.

goodguytex

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on January 26, 2017, 08:55:40 pm
I forgive him.
I forgive him too. Heather one that will have to live with the lasting consequences, not me.

Pork Twain

Quote from: daprospecta on January 26, 2017, 03:01:05 pm
I don't think people will forget about the incident but when I think of Sprinkle, I think of a really good TE we had for four years. If the first thing that comes to a person's mind is he stole something, that says a lot about the person.
Does it really?

hawganatic

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 26, 2017, 03:32:30 pm
And you're unable to call a thief a thief.  It's a mistake if he gets to the hotel and finds he has merchandise in his bag he had neglected to pay for and returns it but this wasn't the case.

Never said he wasn't a thief.  But he's already been punished by the school, he's about to be punished by the NFL, and I'm assuming he still has a court date coming up.  That's good enough for me, for somebody that doesn't have a history of this kind of behavior.

Everybody screws up, makes bad decisions, etc.   I'm sure you've done dumb darn in your life.  I'm also sure you wouldn't want other people (that don't know you) defining your entire life because of it.

Just for your reference, below is the dictionary definition of a mistake.  Tell me again how this wasn't a mistake on his part.

Definition of mistake

1.  a wrong judgment :  misunderstanding

2.  a wrong action or statement proceeding from faulty judgment, inadequate knowledge, or inattention

HogShat

Quote from: hawganatic on January 27, 2017, 08:53:34 am
Never said he wasn't a thief.  But he's already been punished by the school, he's about to be punished by the NFL, and I'm assuming he still has a court date coming up.  That's good enough for me, for somebody that doesn't have a history of this kind of behavior.

Everybody screws up, makes bad decisions, etc.   I'm sure you've done dumb darn in your life.  I'm also sure you wouldn't want other people (that don't know you) defining your entire life because of it.

Just for your reference, below is the dictionary definition of a mistake.  Tell me again how this wasn't a mistake on his part.

Definition of mistake

1.  a wrong judgment :  misunderstanding

2.  a wrong action or statement proceeding from faulty judgment, inadequate knowledge, or inattention

Well said...

Coming up on three years ago I made the biggest mistake of my life. I was in a bad marriage and was tired of trying. Leaned a little too much on a girlfriend from 20+ years ago, that we both still had feelings for each other, who was in a similar marriage. You know where the story goes from there. The kicker to the whole deal is her husband was the interim pastor at my church. We hurt a bunch of folks. embarrassed ourselves and our families. But, I serve a God who is forgiving, who allows us to make mistakes, so that we can learn from them. What did I learn? Most importantly that I am above all loved by the King and no matter how bad I mess up he desires to have a relationship with me. He will forgive me, hold me up, give me grace to get through all the ridicule and scorn, and then put me back in my right place in His Kingdom. I had to own it. I couldn't run from it. I had to beg for forgiveness from family and friends. It made me look at things other folks do a whole lot different. That is where don't judge me just because I sin different than you comes from.

I saw Sprinkle own what he did. He could've easily said he didn't want to discuss it or dodged the question. He stood up like a man, answered the question, admitted he was wrong and told how it affected his life and how it was a lesson learned that he could draw back on in the future.

Didn't mean to get on a soapbox or anything, but part of being given a testimony is sharing it. Owning it.

Matthew 6; 14-15 (and it is written in red)

14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

ThisTeetsTaken

Only one he needs to apologize to is God.  And then Belk.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

cityhog

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 26, 2017, 02:59:49 pm
shoplifting.

so is speeding, jay walking, cheating on your taxes, throwing your cigarette butts out of the window, having trash blow out of the back of your pick-up truck, driving while 'buzzed', smoking in the car while a child under 12 is in the car, not wearing your seatbelt, parking in a handicap spot when you're not handicapped, refusing service to or housing to someone based on race, religion, creed or sex...... , and this isn't even getting into 'moral' territory. I could go on.

What's that old saying about glass houses?

phadedhawg

I feel sorry for him.  I can't imagine how embarrassing this must be for him. 

I hope he's learned his lesson.  He's too young to just throw away the rest of his life over this incident. 

I would hate to be judged the rest of my life for my actions on my worst day. 

lutherheggs

I don't usually steal but when I do, I do not get caught.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: HogShat on January 26, 2017, 01:00:04 pm
I did not hear or see anyone make an excuse for him. Nobody said he is poor and from a small town and it wasn't fair that he couldn't afford those games. Nobody said the he poured his heart and soul into the Hogs and just felt like he would take a little for himself and that is ok. That way of thinking is definitely out there, but he didn't allude to it. He admitted it was a dumb mistake and took his licks and is moving on. This was a very valuable life lesson for him and you are 100% correct that it is a sad way to be remembered. But I bet it isn't near as sad for you as it is for him. or his parents.
He only "admitted" it was a mistake instead of admitting it was STEALING. Stop trying to make something it is not! He only said THAT cause he got CAUGHT! So sick and tired of people making excuses for so called "bad decisions".  Call it exactly what it is, THIEF.

LZH

Maybe there's more to it. Maybe he's just the only one to get 'caught'. Maybe there were others that were allowed to take their items back.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Hog N Bama on January 28, 2017, 03:48:15 pm
He only "admitted" it was a mistake instead of admitting it was STEALING. Stop trying to make something it is not! He only said THAT cause he got CAUGHT! So sick and tired of people making excuses for so called "bad decisions".  Call it exactly what it is, THIEF.

You have no idea why he said it.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Some people just can't help it. I know a small town in Mississippi that the shop owners were asked to keep a tab on stolen goods by a husband of a kleptomaniac. They were wealthy by even the highest standards, but she just couldn't help herself. He would get bills in the mail monthly for little things she pilfered. I was told this by a store manager long after they both had passed. As far as this incident goes it was stupid. It was a mistake on his part to make that choice. His family can afford it. Hopefully it was a situation that will help him move forward knowing that he doesn't have special privileges due to his talent and or popularity...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

WoodyHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 26, 2017, 03:32:30 pm

I think you need to look up what the word "mistake" means -- from the dictionary -- "an action or judgment that is misguided or wrong".  It was a mistake.  Why don't we stop attacking other posters and a player who is trying to apologize and admit what he did was wrong based on your made-up definition of a word.

AlmaHog2011

He can change his life. I hope he does make a change. What he does from here on out will determine what he becomes. We all have done things and fortunately probably didn't make it to the media. He can make up for this mistake or whatever you want to call it.

He can be redeemed. I am living proof you can make a big change. Won't go into my young life but I was in jail a lot and very close to prison.

I hope he does make a change. There is an old saying, you are what you are when no one is watching you and no one is telling you what to do..I believe in this saying with all my heart!
Jeremy good luck!

NuttinItUp

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 29, 2017, 10:12:20 pm
Lot of rock throwers in this thread...

Some of them were blocking shots thrown at Petrino too... Go figure.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: cityhog on January 27, 2017, 04:44:05 pm
so is speeding, jay walking, cheating on your taxes, throwing your cigarette butts out of the window, having trash blow out of the back of your pick-up truck, driving while 'buzzed', smoking in the car while a child under 12 is in the car, not wearing your seatbelt, parking in a handicap spot when you're not handicapped, refusing service to or housing to someone based on race, religion, creed or sex...... , and this isn't even getting into 'moral' territory. I could go on.

What's that old saying about glass houses?

I would say that of none the offenses you listed are mentioned in the Ten Commandments. Am guessing the Big Guy felt shoplifting (stealing) was worth mentioning.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

AlmaHog2011

Big guy also said you can be forgiven for your sins!