Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Punter this year?

Started by bythelake, January 24, 2017, 06:40:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bythelake

Doesn't our punter graduate this year? 

WildRazorback

I think we still have Blake Johnson on the roster. He was a very highly rated punter out of California. I believe he was booked for 'urinating in public' because he was intoxicated (under age) his first year here, but I haven't heard much since.   

factchecker

You are correct.  Toby Baker is/was a senior.

His replacement is Blake Johnson.  He is on scholarship. I think he has struggled with accuracy (keeping it in bounds) but he has a strong leg.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

DLUXHOG

Toby was awesome this year...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Razinhail

He looked good this year in limited action. Only punted twice, but he punted for 46 and 48.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

bennyl08

Quote from: Razinhail on January 24, 2017, 07:09:38 pm
He looked good this year in limited action. Only punted twice, but he punted for 46 and 48.

Beat me to it.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Ramboar

Believe Blake was number 1 or 2 punter in the nation out of high school.
I'll be yo Huckleberry

MS_HogFan

SOOIE

code red

Quote from: MS_HogFan on January 25, 2017, 09:22:10 am
Is that wrong?
Agreed....good thing its not enforced on gameday.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Jackrabbit Hog

We're not gonna punt next year.  Frees up a scholly for another linebacker prospect!
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 25, 2017, 10:50:58 am
We're not gonna punt next year.  Frees up a scholly for another linebacker prospect!

Yep, I brought Bret my latest metrics, and they showed we should go for it on every 4th down. Also, look for Bret to be in shorts for every game.......

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: WildRazorback on January 24, 2017, 06:55:25 pmI believe he was booked for 'urinating in public' because he was intoxicated...

Hey, when you're a guy the whole outdoors is your bathroom.....

I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on January 25, 2017, 11:01:46 am
Yep, I brought Bret my latest metrics, and they showed we should go for it on every 4th down. Also, look for Bret to be in shorts for every game.......

If it meant a win, I'd buy the guy a thong to wear on the sideline...
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 25, 2017, 11:07:07 am
If it meant a win, I'd buy the guy a thong to wear on the sideline...

The image of that is going to stay with me all day.  Thanks a lot. :o
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: factchecker on January 24, 2017, 06:57:08 pm
You are correct.  Toby Baker is/was a senior.

His replacement is Blake Johnson.  He is on scholarship. I think he has struggled with accuracy (keeping it in bounds) but he has a strong leg.

I understand that every punter will occasionally shank one, or miss a coffin corner attempt, but to struggle to keep it in bounds? The field is 160 feet wide. I hope this isn't a chronic issue.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Hoggish1

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on January 25, 2017, 11:03:56 am
Hey, when you're a guy the whole outdoors is your bathroom.....

Excellent way to provide nitrogen to your garden!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 25, 2017, 03:07:05 pm
Excellent way to provide nitrogen to your garden!

LOL
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

FANONTHEHILL

There is no doubt that Toby will be missed.  He will punt at the next level and is a unique talent.  That being said, Blake is a solid punter, but had a few struggles in practice last season.  He will be fine.  The "keeping it inbounds" stems from a shank in phractice that went over the wall and into Razorback road once last fall. It happens. Blake should be ready.

Another option could be Austin Allen.  Austin was actually listed in the punting depth chart last fall.  Near midfield, lining up to run a play and dropping Austin back for a squib or quick kick keep defenses honest and limits their return ability.  Fayetteville did this with a lot of success when he was there as well.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

SamBuckhart

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 26, 2017, 08:29:47 am
There is no doubt that Toby will be missed.  He will punt at the next level and is a unique talent.  That being said, Blake is a solid punter, but had a few struggles in practice last season.  He will be fine.  The "keeping it inbounds" stems from a shank in phractice that went over the wall and into Razorback road once last fall. It happens. Blake should be ready.

Another option could be Austin Allen.  Austin was actually listed in the punting depth chart last fall.  Near midfield, lining up to run a play and dropping Austin back for a squib or quick kick keep defenses honest and limits their return ability.  Fayetteville did this with a lot of success when he was there as well.
Good idea.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

RedyorNot

Now that's an interesting thought. Have they ever actually run that in practice?

bennyl08

Quote from: RedyorNot on January 26, 2017, 11:08:57 am
Now that's an interesting thought. Have they ever actually run that in practice?

I remember Mallett doing it at least once.

As for Baker definitely playing at the next level, I am very confident he'll be in camp with some team, but actually winning and holding onto a starting job is very difficult. Kickers often play into their forties meaning job openings are small. Teams also value the experience in a special teams player. Breeding was a very good punter for us recently too and he didn't make a roster. This season, Baker had arguably one of the best seasons for a punter we've ever had; however, it wasn't ridiculously better than some other punting seasons (Breeding and the aussie guy, his name escapes me right now). However, Baker has the best chance we've seen in a while. Just noting that there's a fair amount of luck in making it as a special teams kicker.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

PorkSoda

might come in handy if he rolls out on a fourth down attempt and there is no one open.  he could just kick it away instead of throwing it away.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hogcard1964

You can tell it's downtime here. 

Punters...

PorkSoda

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 26, 2017, 02:47:39 pm
I remember Mallett doing it at least once.

As for Baker definitely playing at the next level, I am very confident he'll be in camp with some team, but actually winning and holding onto a starting job is very difficult. Kickers often play into their forties meaning job openings are small. Teams also value the experience in a special teams player. Breeding was a very good punter for us recently too and he didn't make a roster. This season, Baker had arguably one of the best seasons for a punter we've ever had; however, it wasn't ridiculously better than some other punting seasons (Breeding and the aussie guy, his name escapes me right now). However, Baker has the best chance we've seen in a while. Just noting that there's a fair amount of luck in making it as a special teams kicker.
what ever happened to skinner?

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

factchecker

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 26, 2017, 02:47:39 pm
the aussie guy, his name escapes me right now).

Sam Irwin Hill

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 26, 2017, 02:55:03 pm
might come in handy if he rolls out on a fourth down attempt and there is no one open.  he could just kick it away instead of throwing it away.
That was the standard 4th down when he was at Fayetteville High.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

bphi11ips

Quote from: SamBuckhart on January 26, 2017, 10:00:48 am
Good idea.

QB's were often the punter also through the 60's.  George Blanda and Steve Spurrier are good examples.

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bphi11ips

There is no doubt that Toby will be missed.  He will punt at the next level and is a unique talent.   

Hang time is going to be the issue at the next level. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Seebs

We will not be forced to punt next season.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

deedster84

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 26, 2017, 05:59:05 pm
QB's were often the punter also through the 60's.  George Blanda and Steve Spurrier are good examples.

Danny White was the last one I remember doing it full time.

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

bennyl08

Hawgzilla

Skinner was Basketball Coach at Texarkana, Texas High School last I heard..

goodguytex

Quote from: Hawgzilla on January 26, 2017, 07:14:33 pm
Skinner was Basketball Coach at Texarkana, Texas High School last I heard..
Skinner is a really great guy. Btw, Ryan Malletts Dad JimMallett is an assistant football coach at Texarkana, Texas high as well.