Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Seeing a lot of 3-4 Confusion

Started by ChargerHog, January 21, 2017, 10:12:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerHog

From looking through quite a few threads on here, I've noticed many of the posters don't really understand the 3-4 all that well.  I keep seeing people saying that since we weren't deep at linebacker we will be even worse off this year if we need to fill a fourth linebacker spot.  This isn't necessarily the case.  Many of our DE's will be moved to OLB.

Here is a basic idea of what you are looking for size wise at each position in a 3-4.  A 0-Tech NT should weigh between 290-340.  A 5-Tech should be between 275-315.  A stand-up pass rushing OLB should be between 230-265.  ILBs should weight between 230-255.  DBs are treated the same in a 3-4 as they are in a 4-3 so this conversation is really just about the front 7.

The way I see it our roster would currently breakdown like this:
(No Specific Order)

NT:  Jackson, Capps, Watts.
This group looks pretty good.  That's 3 solid players at a single position and a coupld of our DE's might be able to fit as a nose if they added a little more weight.

DE:  Agim, Smith, Marshall, Guidry, Dean, James
I feel pretty good about this group, but it doesn't have many proven players outside of Agim.  If Agim is the only player in this group ready to start then Watts would do well at this spot as well.

OLB:  Ramsey, Beanum, Roesler, Taylor, Jean-Baptiste, Fisher, Walker, Bell
I think Ramsey and Beanum would be a good starting duo at OLB.  Behind that, there is a lot of intriguing and talented players without much experience.  I included Bell because we seem pretty stacked at TE and he is too good of an athlete to be a scout team TE.  He is pretty much built like a near perfect 3-4 OLB.  Walker is undersized for the position but he rushed the edge from a standing position a lot in high school and he seems more naturally suited to play outside than inside.  If he moved inside he'd need to add weight as well.

ILB:  Greenlaw, D. Harris, Eugene, Hackett, LaFrance, J. Harris
In a 3-4 I see our ILB as being a real strong point for us.  Greenlaw, D, Harris, Eugene, and Hackett all have good experience.  LaFrance looks like he will be a monster as a run stuffing ILB for us in the future. 

Overall, in a lot of ways I think our roster is better suited for a 3-4 but more importantly I think it is a scheme with far more upside.  I still expect to see us in nickle more often than not and wouldn't be surprised if this is more of a hybrid defense than a true 3-4 but I am very optimistic about this change.  This is my first thread I've started and don't even normally post, but this newbie has thick skin so let's hear what people have to say?

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

PonderinHog

menace_hawg3

Quote from: ChargerHog on January 21, 2017, 10:12:27 am
From looking through quite a few threads on here, I've noticed many of the posters don't really understand the 3-4 all that well.  I keep seeing people saying that since we weren't deep at linebacker we will be even worse off this year if we need to fill a fourth linebacker spot.  This isn't necessarily the case.  Many of our DE's will be moved to OLB.

Here is a basic idea of what you are looking for size wise at each position in a 3-4.  A 0-Tech NT should weigh between 290-340.  A 5-Tech should be between 275-315.  A stand-up pass rushing OLB should be between 230-265.  ILBs should weight between 230-255.  DBs are treated the same in a 3-4 as they are in a 4-3 so this conversation is really just about the front 7.

(No Specific Order)

This group looks pretty good.  That's 3 solid players at a single position and a coupld of our DE's might be able to fit as a nose if they added a little more weight.

I feel pretty good about this group, but it doesn't have many proven players outside of Agim.  If Agim is the only player in this group ready to start then Watts would do well at this spot as well.

I think Ramsey and Beanum would be a good starting duo at OLB.  Behind that, there is a lot of intriguing and talented players without much experience.  I included Bell because we seem pretty stacked at TE and he is too good of an athlete to be a scout team TE.  He is pretty much built like a near perfect 3-4 OLB.  Walker is undersized for the position but he rushed the edge from a standing position a lot in high school and he seems more naturally suited to play outside than inside.  If he moved inside he'd need to add weight as well.

In a 3-4 I see our ILB as being a real strong point for us.  Greenlaw, D, Harris, Eugene, and Hackett all have good experience.  LaFrance looks like he will be a monster as a run stuffing ILB for us in the future. 

Overall, in a lot of ways I think our roster is better suited for a 3-4 but more importantly I think it is a scheme with far more upside.  I still expect to see us in nickle more often than not and wouldn't be surprised if this is more of a hybrid defense than a true 3-4 but I am very optimistic about this change.  This is my first thread I've started and don't even normally post, but this newbie has thick skin so let's hear what people have to say?

This is spot on. Many people think that the 3-4 requires 4 true LBs. It doesn't. I expect us to do a little 3-3 formations and 2-4-5 formations out of it. The 2-4-5 intrigue me quite a bit. I like the fact that they would just have to make one or two substitutions out of it. Heck, I've seen a lot of teams sit in their base and effectively stop spread offenses. ( Colorado, Iowa State in 2015, Ark State and others) I guess it just depends on what fits your personnel best.

Razinhail

With Capps' athleticism I could see him playing DE as well. Could see a rotation with Jackson, Capps, and Guidry at NT with both Capps and Guidry playing end too. I see Beanum adding some weight and staying at end. I don't think he has enough quickness to get into coverage when he needs to. I like Ramsey, Taylor, Walker, Jean-Baptiste, and Fisher at OLB. I think we'll add another in the Taylor/Ramsey mold before next season.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

PonderinHog

Riddle me this.  What is it going to take to keep B. Jackson in the game for an extended length of time?

LZH

30 years ago in South Arkansas we ran a 5-2, which is just a watered-down version of most 3-4 defenses that I have paid attention to. Of course we were not playing against spread offenses, either. We played several shotgun option teams, otherwise it was mostly ground-and-pound.

But, we could run. Naturally everybody could in the area then because a 200 lb RB was considered pretty big. However, we had guys playing DE & LB that could run down most running backs before they got to the edge when they tried to go wide.

I didn't see much speed at all on Arkansas's defense last year. Could have a lot to do with reaction time, but it also could be we just aren't that fast.

I'm certainly no expert on SEC defenses, and every year it seems that I know less. But I don't see us completely getting away from a 4-3 until we have guys in place that can handle those positions, which I think the OP mentions. I know you have to start somewhere, it's just hard for me to see an immediate major improvement just because of scheme. Feels like it's going to take a year or two to make a big difference.

Add: forgot to mention that I don't see one NG, much less two or three, that can hold the middle by himself as a 3-4 defense requires.

Dillon

I was worried about linebacker depth but you bring up a great point. Thank you for the breakdown!

Dillon

Looks like we need a couple big stud DEs

hawginbigd1

To the OP i think in today's game, Greenlaw and other similarly hybrid safety types are going to man one of the OLB spots and Ramsey and the other hybrid LB/DE types are going to be at the other spot. I agree with the concept that the 3-4 matches our personnel better than the 4-3.

tophawg19

Bijohn fits well , so does Capps . Watts needs more weight but can do the job .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

ChargerHog

Quote from: Razinhail on January 21, 2017, 10:55:21 am
With Capps' athleticism I could see him playing DE as well. Could see a rotation with Jackson, Capps, and Guidry at NT with both Capps and Guidry playing end too. I see Beanum adding some weight and staying at end. I don't think he has enough quickness to get into coverage when he needs to. I like Ramsey, Taylor, Walker, Jean-Baptiste, and Fisher at OLB. I think we'll add another in the Taylor/Ramsey mold before next season.

I could absolutely see Capps getting time at DE.  Him and Watts are both capable of playing any spot on our line in a 3-4. I do think he is a little bit more natural as a NT and will be our best option backing up Jackson.  I could see Capps being 1b for the whole line.  Guidry is another one I that I could see playing all the spots on the line.  He would be pretty undersized as a NT but sure seems to have enough strength to hold his ground.  I think he could be a great NT when we go into nickel because of his agility and quickness.  I thought about the same thing with Beanum but wasn't sure if he would be able to add the weight needed or not.  If he can add the weight that would really boost the experience at DE but if not I could see him going to OLB.  Like you said, he could be a little limited as a linebacker but I think it's doable.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: LZH on January 21, 2017, 11:03:27 am
30 years ago in South Arkansas we ran a 5-2, which is just a watered-down version of most 3-4 defenses that I have paid attention to. Of course we were not playing against spread offenses, either. We played several shotgun option teams, otherwise it was mostly ground-and-pound.

But, we could run. Naturally everybody could in the area then because a 200 lb RB was considered pretty big. However, we had guys playing DE & LB that could run down most running backs before they got to the edge when they tried to go wide.

I didn't see much speed at all on Arkansas's defense last year. Could have a lot to do with reaction time, but it also could be we just aren't that fast.

I'm certainly no expert on SEC defenses, and every year it seems that I know less. But I don't see us completely getting away from a 4-3 until we have guys in place that can handle those positions, which I think the OP mentions. I know you have to start somewhere, it's just hard for me to see an immediate major improvement just because of scheme. Feels like it's going to take a year or two to make a big difference.

Add: forgot to mention that I don't see one NG, much less two or three, that can hold the middle by himself as a 3-4 defense requires.
Jackson can easily man that spot. The only thing to worry about with him is his stamina. He has the strength and quickness to man it. He's not very fast but he is quick off the ball.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

LZH

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 21, 2017, 11:47:40 am
Jackson can easily man that spot. The only thing to worry about with him is his stamina. He has the strength and quickness to man it. He's not very fast but he is quick off the ball.

Is stamina his problem? Frankly, I think stamina is a problem throughout the entire team but he certainly doesn't seem to play as much as he probably should. Wasn't sure if it was an injury bug or what.

ChargerHog

Interesting.  I think that both Jackson and Capps are capable of holding up at the point of attack.  You really don't think that Jackson can hold down the middle?  He looks like a prototypical 34 nose to me.  I honestly think part of the reason he hasn't played as much as many expected him to coming out of HS is because we needed more athleticism at DT.  Stamina is still going to be an issue for him though.  I expect to see him quite a bit on first and second down though.

LZH

Quote from: ChargerHog on January 21, 2017, 11:55:35 am
Interesting.  I think that both Jackson and Capps are capable of holding up at the point of attack.  You really don't think that Jackson can hold down the middle?  He looks like a prototypical 34 nose to me.  I honestly think part of the reason he hasn't played as much as many expected him to coming out of HS is because we needed more athleticism at DT.  Stamina is still going to be an issue for him though.  I expect to see him quite a bit on first and second down though.

It just feels like the same thing we had with the offensive line last year. Trying to plug players into a position that they were not recruited for and thus may not be suited for.

lakecityhog

IF, if our roster sizes are correct then Marshall js more than likely headed for the DT spot. He was listed last year at 299. Bulk him up a bit and he could be a big help on the nose.

I still think that Beanum plays the line along with Agim, Guidry, Dean and Smith. Watts could maybe play some at both spots.

I like Taylor, Ramsey and Roesler at those OLB spots.

ChargerHog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 21, 2017, 11:28:11 am
To the OP i think in today's game, Greenlaw and other similarly hybrid safety types are going to man one of the OLB spots and Ramsey and the other hybrid LB/DE types are going to be at the other spot. I agree with the concept that the 3-4 matches our personnel better than the 4-3.

When I originally posted about probably seeing some hybrid schemes I was thinking of getting Greenlaw out into space like a traditional 4-3 WILL linebacker.  Traditionally in a 3-4 you are using 2 stand up pass rushers on the edge to help compensate from the lack on pressure from having three near 300 pounders on the line. I could totally see what you are saying though and would be surprised if we don't see Greenlaw play a little bit of both positions.

ChargerHog

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 21, 2017, 12:02:17 pm
IF, if our roster sizes are correct then Marshall js more than likely headed for the DT spot. He was listed last year at 299. Bulk him up a bit and he could be a big help on the nose.

I still think that Beanum plays the line along with Agim, Guidry, Dean and Smith. Watts could maybe play some at both spots.

I like Taylor, Ramsey and Roesler at those OLB spots.

Marshall was another tricky one.  I think he could add weight and play NT but considering CBB wanted him to stay at DE last year makes me think that he is pretty gifted on the edge and might be wasted in the middle.  6-4 300 is about perfect for a DE in a 3-4 so I thought it'd make sense to leave him at DE for now.

ChargerHog

Quote from: LZH on January 21, 2017, 12:01:35 pm
It just feels like the same thing we had with the offensive line last year. Trying to plug players into a position that they were not recruited for and thus may not be suited for.

For some guys that's absolutely the case.  Some of our lighter linebackers aren't true fits in a 3-4 but if we are talking about Bijhon Jackson, then if anything he wasn't really a fit in a 4-3 which in my opinion is why he hasn't played all that much.  It will take a little while to get perfect fits but I don't see that our roster is any better suited for a 4-3 than a 3-4.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: LZH on January 21, 2017, 11:54:45 am
Is stamina his problem? Frankly, I think stamina is a problem throughout the entire team but he certainly doesn't seem to play as much as he probably should. Wasn't sure if it was an injury bug or what.
That's the main thing I've heard about him. Is that the coaching staff worries about his stamina. Personally I think its a bunch of bologna. Seems like he always flashes when he's in there. They also worry about his speed against dual threat QB's. I think he's quicker and faster than they think.

Youngsta71701

No doubt. They'll more than likely take him out in passing situations.

LZH

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 21, 2017, 12:16:46 pm
No doubt. They'll more than likely take him out in passing situations.

Isn't having a big badass NG in on passing downs the idea of a 3-4? Attract a lot of interior attention that in turn allows you to blitz from different places and/or drop more guys into coverage? I always thought the NG was not intended to be a stunt/pass rusher type - just a big stout guy that commands at least a doubleteam every play.

RWQ

This is an outstanding thread and reminds me of some of the good stuff I used to love to read of MMQB.  Thanks to the OP.
U of A Grad December 1989

tophawg19

i'd love to see an updated roster with weights . i think a bunch of folks put on weight . I just hope it's good weight . I like capps and wouldn't be surprised to see him rotate series with Bijohn .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

island hog

I'd like to see some def ends standing up rushing over the center in 3rd and longs... Ala Clowney and Merculis did for the Texans did this year.   

ChargerHog

Quote from: LZH on January 21, 2017, 12:29:28 pm
Isn't having a big badass NG in on passing downs the idea of a 3-4? Attract a lot of interior attention that in turn allows you to blitz from different places and/or drop more guys into coverage? I always thought the NG was not intended to be a stunt/pass rusher type - just a big stout guy that commands at least a doubleteam every play.

It's very important that you have a NT that can demand double teams and clog lanes (which I think Jackson can do) but usually that is more important on running downs.  In clear cut passing situations usually we will be in nickle and the true 3-4 NTs are taken off the field to allow for more pass rush or coverage to be on the field.

menace_hawg3

I think we'll finally see Jackson live up to his potential in this scheme. I think he has always been a 3-4 DLM. Ramsey will also have a big year, considering the fact that he will always be on the field and not just in situational downs.

Also the NT is also used to collapse the pocket on passing downs. Jackson has a very quick burst, which will make him very good against the pass.

hawgfan4life

While the OP gives a pretty good overview of the defense, it isn't always so simple.  Down and distance, offensive packages, and schemes will still call for more LBs.   Going to the 3-4 doesn't diminish our depth issues at LB and in some cases could magnify a shortcoming.  All kinds of factors go into the defense and how it is implemented.  Having or not having a two gapping zero technique can change things drastically. 

ballz2thewall

yep. played the 5-2 here as well.

on your point about speed and the outside. if you can go back and watch a bit, take a close look at how frozen our DL and LBs seem to be as the play develops. i can recall plays where you could absolutely tell the LB wanted to leave his "spot" and go wide to join the play, but he stayed home instead.

again; take a close look. on many of the glaring wide runs we gave up, we didn't have anyone near enough where speed would've made a difference.

maybe i'm mis-remembering, but if i could find my yellow pad i bet i could find my note on it....:)
The rest of the frog.

JackJohnson

All that matters is the coaches won't be confused because Diaco came by and helped give them pointers on his way to Nebraska

Sow Lancelot

(No Specific Order)

So, for those of us who are just casual observers;

Would someone be willing to explain just exactly what is a 0-tech, 5-tech, etc?
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

factchecker

Quote from: Sow Lancelot on January 21, 2017, 03:41:56 pm
So, for those of us who are just casual observers;

Would someone be willing to explain just exactly what is a 0-tech, 5-tech, etc?

A defensive lineman's technique is where he lines up in a certain defense.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Coach Bielema:

QuotePaul Rhoads converted to the 3-4 at Iowa State and wishes he'd have done it sooner. There will still be elements of a 4-down package. A lot of SEC teams run a 3-4 that looks like a 4-3 with an edge rusher standing to have his options. Will vary on how they set their formations more in the future.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/jan/21/live-bret-bielema-paul-rhoads-press-conferences/
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Here is the alignment with gaps illustrated:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Coach Bielema:

QuoteRandy Ramsey, Michael Taylor and Karl Roessler will be stand-up outside linebackers in the 3-4.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Coach Bielema:

Quote10th assistant to have a heavy special teams role
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

I have no clue what is going on with Tevin but I hope he gets it sorted out.  Football is not that important in the long run.... I hope everything is fine elsewhere.

Tevin has "retired"/quit the game of football:

https://twitter.com/Dedsports/status/822929187031961601

https://twitter.com/Shadid13/status/822929337481658368
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: factchecker on January 21, 2017, 04:11:54 pm
I have no clue what is going on with Tevin but I hope he gets it sorted out.  Football is not that important in the long run.... I hope everything is fine elsewhere.

Tevin has "retired"/quit the game of football:

https://twitter.com/Dedsports/status/822929187031961601

https://twitter.com/Shadid13/status/822929337481658368

One of our "great" Razorback fans weighs in:

https://twitter.com/Dedsports/status/822930695702085632
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

LZH

Now that's a few updates for sure.

ChargerHog

Quote from: hawgfan4life on January 21, 2017, 02:09:20 pm
While the OP gives a pretty good overview of the defense, it isn't always so simple.  Down and distance, offensive packages, and schemes will still call for more LBs.   Going to the 3-4 doesn't diminish our depth issues at LB and in some cases could magnify a shortcoming.  All kinds of factors go into the defense and how it is implemented.  Having or not having a two gapping zero technique can change things drastically.

I was definitely simplifying it.  I was just talking about how our roster looks in a base 3-4.  For that matter we don't know if it's going to be a one or two gapping 3-4 system or a combo of both.  I assumed it will be a two gap system since that is the most common but that doesn't mean that it's right.  Obviously down and distance matters.  We are pretty much guarenteed to see both odd and even fronts throughout the season but we will see more even fronts that we have seen recently.  Also, as you mentioned our scheme will adjust slightly depending on opposing offenses.  Overall, I made this thread since many posters look at the change from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and think it is just losing a lineman and adding a linebacker which makes our LB depth issues even more troublesome.  So yes, I simplified this, but I don't really see the benefit of going into too much detail on where the personnel fits in every single package we use.

ChargerHog

Really awful news about Beanum.  Does him quitting football have anything to do with his absence that he had last year because of "personal reasons"?  All reports are that he is a great kid and is very talented.  Sad news.

factchecker

Quote from: ChargerHog on January 21, 2017, 04:26:30 pm
Really awful news about Beanum.  Does him quitting football have anything to do with his absence that he had last year because of "personal reasons"?  All reports are that he is a great kid and is very talented.  Sad news.

Every media guy sticks up for Beanum and says there are some off the field things Beanum has to deal with.  I have no clue what is going on but I wish him the best and hope he uses the medical hardship to finish his degree.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Ironhawg

Good thread OP.  Good information for those of us who are more casual fans.

Styflin

(No Specific Order)

Not sure where you see the confusion. It's not all about size at those outside lb spots. As a matter of fact, that spot is probably the most difficult to play. We don't have any players with experience at that spot and we have a defensive staff that has very very little experience running and installing it.

Josh Goforth

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 21, 2017, 11:28:11 am
Nope Greenlaw will be a weak side backer, may be flexed out some. Really think the weakness I. The transition is at the nose spot and at MLB. Eugene has not shown he can shed blocks or use quickness to beat the block, Harris may be the guy but was lost in his time last season.

Josh Goforth

totally agree and can show you numerous examples of plays where he was driving en off the ball. You would think he would be the prototype 2 gap 3-4 nose, but some combination of lack in stamina and bad technique has kept him from that.