Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How old is too old for DC?

Started by mj4president, December 12, 2017, 03:00:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mj4president

Dick Lebeau, at age 80, is coaching up the defense for the Tennessee Titans. He's a legend in his own right.

I've seen some who are lobbying for a younger coach who has fire in his belly and others don't seem to matter much, just want a solid coach, no matter the age.

Side question, wonder how much longer Dick wants to work.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

Pig in the Pokey

Im pretty sure Dick LeBeau is what one might call, The Exception, not the rule.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

rickm1976

I'm 61 (same age as Chavis).  I'm old and tired.  Maybe Chavis is very energetic for his age, but I really think we need someone younger.

jst01

Nobody that is eligible for IRA distributions should be the DC here.  I figure there are probably 50 guys working in football who could coordinate a defense at AR and be successful at it.  But I bet there are maybe 10 that have the ability to recruit defensive studs to AR and be successful at that.

hog of steele

You are to old when what you are doing stops working. With assistant coaches the future isnt a big deal. They come and go so upcoming retirement isn't a huge issue. If you can see what needs to be done and get kids to do it, you are the right age to be coordinator.

If not, I don't care how young you are.

Dropkick

I'm 62 and like to think I'm as productive as ever. Experience can offset energy if the fire is still burning.

hog of steele

Quote from: jst01 on December 12, 2017, 03:30:45 pm
Nobody that is eligible for IRA distributions should be the DC here.  I figure there are probably 50 guys working in football who could coordinate a defense at AR and be successful at it.  But I bet there are maybe 10 that have the ability to recruit defensive studs to AR and be successful at that.

Recruiting is important but it doesn't need to be the main focus of every person on the staff. If CCM brings us the talent we need then its fine getting a non recruiting nerd who knows what to do with the talent.

The knock on Pittman was that he didn't want to recruit. I think him leaving sank BB. You can have a few guys on staff who deal with the XO's especially if you have a coach who loves to recruit.

mizzouman

He'll do fine coaching defense.  It's the recruiting and can he relate?  I think he can.

Polecat

Quote from: rickm1976 on December 12, 2017, 03:25:42 pm
I'm 61 (same age as Chavis).  I'm old and tired.  Maybe Chavis is very energetic for his age, but I really think we need someone younger.

I'm 41 and I feel old and tired. You're not giving me much to look forward to lol
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

JONAS

TexHog188

If healthy, I don't see age as a determining factor.  If the DC can teach his schemes and they are effective at stopping the opponent, then I really don't care how old they are. Recruiting is a wildcard with any coach. Winning is the best recruiting tool.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

GoHogzzGo

When the success stops or they're six feet under.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

RazorPiggie

Lebeau isn't having to travel all the time for recruiting or constantly keeping in contact with his players.

Boardon Hamsay

Can Bob Barker coach D? Should we start our DC search in Bella Vista?
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

moto625

Dwight_K_Shrute

I know this is a Chavis centric question, so let's ask not what his biological age is but what is his true age, taking into account factors such as health and weight.

Saw someone say Chavis is 61.  Honest to God I would have said older than that just based on looking at him.

Pete Carroll is 66.

Based on a visual comparison if you didn't know either who would you say looks younger?  Has more energy?

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

ballinhog

I believe Alex Grinch is 37 so 38 is too old

Hog Fan...DOH!

lakecityhog

Morris should have PLENTY of youngsters to beat the bushes, Chavis can see them on campus and try to seal the deal. Name recognition alone has to be worth a lot.

Chavis knows the SEC, especially the SEC West which has to be a plus. Maybe working with a guy like Morris can get him revitalized. IF, and I don't know, Sumlin was pretty lax with the players and allowed some "loafing" maybe the whole atmosphere at ATM got to him. Maybe Morris laying out expectations gets Chavis fired up to compete again.

Always remember the story of the young bull and the old bull.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 12, 2017, 08:05:01 pm
I know this is a Chavis centric question, so let's ask not what his biological age is but what is his true age, taking into account factors such as health and weight.

Saw someone say Chavis is 61.  Honest to God I would have said older than that just based on looking at him.

Pete Carroll is 66.

Based on a visual comparison if you didn't know either who would you say looks younger?  Has more energy?

+1 D-wight
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Paul

Quote from: hog of steele on December 12, 2017, 03:33:42 pm
Recruiting is important but it doesn't need to be the main focus of every person on the staff. If CCM brings us the talent we need then its fine getting a non recruiting nerd who knows what to do with the talent.

The knock on Pittman was that he didn't want to recruit. I think him leaving sank BB. You can have a few guys on staff who deal with the XO's especially if you have a coach who loves to recruit.
Pittman was always known as an ace recruiter here & before at UNC & Tenn. He quit recruiting whe B.B. fired his bosom buddy Chaney.

ZERO

Quote from: mj4president on December 12, 2017, 03:00:54 pm
Side question, wonder how much longer Dick wants to work.

Knowing my luck, 5-7 more years.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

ShadowTheHedgehog

sickboy

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 12, 2017, 08:05:01 pm

Pete Carroll is 66.

Yeah, my father in law is like Pete Carrol but 75. He skis Alta and Snowbird in Utah every day of his life. Meanwhile, I'm 35 with a bulging disk and have trouble getting out of bed without looking like I'm a turtle. Go figure. Genes man. It matters.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: sickboy on December 13, 2017, 02:25:17 am
Yeah, my father in law is like Pete Carrol but 75. He skis Alta and Snowbird in Utah every day of his life. Meanwhile, I'm 35 with a bulging disk and have trouble getting out of bed without looking like I'm a turtle. Go figure. Genes man. It matters.

That's impressive. Good for him! Years ago my wife's former boss who was in his 70's at the time went with us on a ski trip after not having skied for twenty years or so. He said he learned to ski on wooden skis as a youngster. He did great. Not any black diamonds or anything but didn't fall or get out of breath. He also was a daily tennis player. Keeping in shape to the best of your ability and being lucky with no serious injuries as you age matters.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Pork Twain

December 13, 2017, 06:54:07 am #26 Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 07:08:01 am by Pork Twain
Age shouldn't matter, ability and accomplishments should.  Like with everything else in life, it all depends on the individual.

Chip Kelly 54
Bob Stoops 57
Bud Foster 58
John Chavis 61
Bill Belichick 65
Nick Saban 65
Pete Carroll 66
Frank Solich 72
Monte Kiffin 73
Dick LeBeau, 75
Bill Snyder 77
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

DeltaBoy

If they can stop people then hire them.  Regardless of age.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jackflash

forget about age only question can he put a defense on the field we can win with

azhog10

Older coach in the nfl is different than an older coach in college. Works in the NFL, not so much in college.

Pork Twain

Quote from: azhog10 on December 13, 2017, 08:47:32 am
Older coach in the nfl is different than an older coach in college. Works in the NFL, not so much in college.
Complete bs.  It all depends on the individual, not the league or the age.  Unnecessary generalizations are poop
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

hogmolar

The question for me with Chavis is would he be willing and able to teach a young apprentice his trade?  If he is, I say hire him and a young guy with potential as a position coach.  Let Chavis train him and show him how to be successful, then when he leaves you have a replacement waiting to be new DC. 

We have not done a very good job of that in the past.  We have always been a reactive hire school instead of a proactive hire school.  Meaning oh man this didn't work we need to completely change directions and hire someone else.  (Hence the ditch to ditch analogy a lot of people use.)  We seem to have hired for the now with CCM.   Potentially Chavis could be a now fix.... next we need to hire a staff for where we want to go in the future post these guys.   

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 13, 2017, 06:54:07 am
Age shouldn't matter, ability and accomplishments should.  Like with everything else in life, it all depends on the individual.

Chip Kelly 54
Bob Stoops 57
Bud Foster 58
John Chavis 61
Bill Belichick 65
Nick Saban 65
Pete Carroll 66
Frank Solich 72
Monte Kiffin 73
Dick LeBeau, 75
Bill Snyder 77
so, the second guy on your list has already retired, b/c of his age.... lol.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 13, 2017, 08:48:30 am
Complete bs.  It all depends on the individual, not the league or the age.  Unnecessary generalizations are poop
Not BS. Biggest difference between NFL and college is recruiting. Most coaches in the NFL have expressed a disdain for recruiting. Travelling the country, being away from family, building relationships, and kissing the arse of 18 year olds is an exhausting job. Adding to that, much of recruiting is being relateable. How much can an 18 year old relate to a coach the same age as their grandparents?
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hoglady

Heck - I watched a concert on PBS with "The Highwaymen" back from the 1990's.
Willie Nelson looked old then - he's looked pretty much the same for the better part of 4 decades.
So looks aren't solely a true indicator of true age, either.
As long as someone can still do the work - age really shouldn't be the determining factor.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HamGrowsOnTrees

Too old:

Too young (in b4 next thread):

Johnny Bobo

wow this thread is dumb

Belichick is 65

Saban is 66

Johnny Bobo

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 13, 2017, 06:54:07 am

Chip Kelly 54
Bob Stoops 57
Bud Foster 58
John Chavis 61
Bill Belichick 65
Nick Saban 65
Pete Carroll 66
Frank Solich 72
Monte Kiffin 73
Dick LeBeau, 75
Bill Snyder 77

thank you

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Johnny Bobo on December 13, 2017, 10:14:05 am
wow this thread is dumb

Belichick is 65

Saban is 66
Belichick is in the NFL, that's completely different because he doesn't have to recruit. Saban isn't your average 66 year old. He looks and acts 15 years younger than he is. Beyond that, His dynasty recruits for himself. he could sit on his ass everyday during the offseason and STILL have a top 10 recruiting class. Most other coaches don't have that luxury
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

The NewEra

When you've lost the enthusiasm to get out there and outwork the competition recruiting, you're too old.
When you can't energize kids and inspire them to play for you, you're too old.
When you have no energy on the sidelines during games, you are too old.
When you quit adapting your defense to the new offensive schemes, your too old.
When kids think you are hard to relate to, you are too old.
When you sleep well after a loss, you are too old.

nightrider388

Monte Kiffin is 77. Born in 1940.

hvsupastar

"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Calling All Hogs

Anyone younger than Saban is young enough.

kennypig

61.  Isn't that how old Chavis is ?
He hasn't had much better defenses than us even though he had better talent.
And even a Tennessee fan told me he doesn't like to recruit.
I think about 47 is a good age for DC. Let's see . . .  who do we know that is about 47 ?

hogsanity

My dad is 77 and still shows up for work by 8:30 every day, but his job does not include recruiting trips, and 18 hour days game planning 12 weeks a year. Although, he does have to put up with me in the next office so................
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Boardon Hamsay

Was there a DC in "Ben Hur?" If so, not a good hire.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Pork Twain

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 13, 2017, 09:20:03 am
so, the second guy on your list has already retired, b/c of his age.... lol.
There is more there but who knows.  Obviously he, being the 2nd youngest on that list, did not retire due to age alone.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on December 13, 2017, 09:54:53 am
Not BS. Biggest difference between NFL and college is recruiting. Most coaches in the NFL have expressed a disdain for recruiting. Travelling the country, being away from family, building relationships, and kissing the arse of 18 year olds is an exhausting job. Adding to that, much of recruiting is being relateable. How much can an 18 year old relate to a coach the same age as their grandparents?
No, still complete BS.  You cannot say coach X is too old to recruit or be a DC, OC or HC.  I mean you can say it but you would be wrong.  Some coaches are even able to recruit on name alone, have the position coaches do most of the recruiting and just close the deal.  What you are speaking of is a very simplistic and one-dimensional way to look a very complex issue.

LZH

Quote from: ZERO on December 12, 2017, 10:29:17 pm
Knowing my luck, 5-7 more years.

Don't worry buddy, we've got medicine for that these days.