Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dan Enos isn't head coach material?

Started by snoot hoggy hog, March 28, 2017, 08:01:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

goodguytex

Yeah, I read that and shook my head. Enos and Rhoades were HCs of college football teams. Rhoades was HC of a team in a P5 conference. He wasn't successful, but still. The ones mentioned in that article have never even been a HC.

bennyl08

Article never said that. Listed some of the guys who could get a lot of buzz. I.e. the top 5 guys the author thinks are most likely to land a HC job after the season.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: goodguytex on March 28, 2017, 08:03:53 pm
Yeah, I read that and shook my head. Enos and Rhoades were HCs of college football teams. Rhoades was HC of a team in a P5 conference. He wasn't successful, but still. The ones mentioned in that article have never even been a HC.

Who would you rather us sign, a RB who used to be at low level p5 school, didn't excel, dropped down to FCS level and did well, and now wants to transfer back up, or a RB who was a 4/5* in HS with a lot of potential but no actual college experience?

The analogy there isn't perfect as there are obviously eligibility issues that come into play.

If I'm looking for a HC, highest tier candidate is somebody who was a great coordinator at a big time school, got a HC job somewhere smaller than my school, and did very well there. Namely, having experience as a HC is important. However, having experience and success is even better.

If I'm looking to hire Rhoads or Enos as a HC, neither of them did terribly as a HC relative to their respective schools. However, I'm asking myself, why did Rhoads get fired at ISU and what has he done to learn from those mistakes? Why did Enos outright quit a HC job to become an OC? Did he not enjoy being a HC? Did he not think his career was going to progress? While it is good to have had experience, sometimes hiring somebody who has been a successful coach at a lower position who you think projects well as a HC is a better strategy than hiring a HC who couldn't cut it as a HC and was demoted back down to coordinator and is not looking to try being a HC again.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

sowmonella

Stupid even by SEC Country standards.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

GoHogs1091

Jeremy Pruitt is probably not head coach material.

The only time he has done really well as a Coach has been where he was at a place that was fully loaded with elite talent (Alabama and Florida State).

Where is he going to get a head coach job that is in the same situation (fully loaded elite talent) as those two schools?

He also has a tendency to be nomadic.

Illinihog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 28, 2017, 08:37:53 pm

The only time he has done really well as a Coach has been where he was at a place that was fully loaded with elite talent (Alabama and Florida State).

Where is he going to get a head coach job that is in the same situation (fully loaded elite talent) as those two schools?

Pruitt also has a Bobby P. Like trait.  Has to do with young Coeds.

bennyl08

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 28, 2017, 08:37:53 pm

So you are literally saying the only time he has done really well as a coach has been literally every job he's had since moving up to college ranks from HS? There are only 3 teams he has worked for, and all 3 were fully loaded with elite talent and he did really well as a coach at all 3 places.

I'll agree that it remains to be seen what he can do with a team with bad talent, but your post makes it seem like he has done poorly in the past with teams lacking talent when that is not the case, at least since he relatively recently left the HS ranks.

Or, are you talking about earlier than that? He spent one year as a GA for Bama back in 97. He moved from there to DB coach at a HS, and then up to DB coach at a small college before going back to be DC of that same first HS. Each stop there lasted only a year before he switched to assistant at a different HS, moving up to DB and then DC again before re-entering college for the first time since he was DB coach in his 2nd year after being a GA. From there, he's moved from being an assistant coach for Saban, up to a position coach, becoming a DC for FSU, then DC for UGA, and now back to Bama where he is also a DC.

Which school did he not do so hot at? Or is that one of those things where because it has never it happened, it is by default true. Like saying Arkansas has never lost a game while a member of the PAC 12.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

There are some schools where winning at a high level is just not possible nor is it expected. Iowa State is one of those schools, football wise anyway
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Pruitt gets the green light just because he has the Saban stamp.

Canada being on this list is laughable as he hasn't even gone through an entire spring in the SEC yet
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

King Kong

By Iowa State standards you could argue he is the best Coach in there history. At worst 3rd best

ChitownHawg

Here is what the author wrote. No mention of this being the only coaches. He just lists some coaches.

The conference comes into 2017 with some of the most well-regarded assistants in the country. With spring practice underway, most FBS coaching staffs are set for this season. But when the coaching carousel begins to turn again near the end of this year, here are some of SEC assistants who could get a lot of buzz for head coaching jobs.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

goodguytex

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 28, 2017, 08:23:32 pm
Who would you rather us sign, a RB who used to be at low level p5 school, didn't excel, dropped down to FCS level and did well, and now wants to transfer back up, or a RB who was a 4/5* in HS with a lot of potential but no actual college experience?

The analogy there isn't perfect as there are obviously eligibility issues that come into play.

If I'm looking for a HC, highest tier candidate is somebody who was a great coordinator at a big time school, got a HC job somewhere smaller than my school, and did very well there. Namely, having experience as a HC is important. However, having experience and success is even better.

If I'm looking to hire Rhoads or Enos as a HC, neither of them did terribly as a HC relative to their respective schools. However, I'm asking myself, why did Rhoads get fired at ISU and what has he done to learn from those mistakes? Why did Enos outright quit a HC job to become an OC? Did he not enjoy being a HC? Did he not think his career was going to progress? While it is good to have had experience, sometimes hiring somebody who has been a successful coach at a lower position who you think projects well as a HC is a better strategy than hiring a HC who couldn't cut it as a HC and was demoted back down to coordinator and is not looking to try being a HC again.
But Benny, what you are describing here was not the premise of the article exactly. It was talking about the best and most qualified assistants in the SEC to become HCs. Enos fits that. Whatever his reasons for stepping down from the HC job, he chose to do that, and has excelled and proven successful at Arkansas. And he wasn't fired as a HC either.

goodguytex

And Enos is exactly the kind of person I would want to run a college football program. He gets results. And he's already got experience as a college football HC. People shouldn't be penalized or thought less of because they choose to step down in position. He may have just fallen in love with NW Arkansas and the program. There is a lot to love about NW Arkansas.

Me personally, I'd take NW Arkansas over directional school Michigan all the time Everytime. But that's just me.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: goodguytex on March 29, 2017, 10:42:00 am
And Enos is exactly the kind of person I would want to run a college football program. He gets results. And he's already got experience as a college football HC. People shouldn't be penalized or thought less of because they choose to step down in position. He may have just fallen in love with NW Arkansas and the program. There is a lot to love about NW Arkansas.

Me personally, I'd take NW Arkansas over directional school Michigan all the time Everytime. But that's just me.
Enos has also proven that hes one heck of a QB developer. Just compare Brandon Allen under Jim Chaney to Brandon Allen under Enos. Like a completely different person

bennyl08

Quote from: goodguytex on March 29, 2017, 10:37:49 am
But Benny, what you are describing here was not the premise of the article exactly. It was talking about the best and most qualified assistants in the SEC to become HCs. Enos fits that. Whatever his reasons for stepping down from the HC job, he chose to do that, and has excelled and proven successful at Arkansas. And he wasn't fired as a HC either.

I know he wasn't fired as a HC and explicitly said so.

From the article itself: But when the coaching carousel begins to turn again near the end of this year, here are some of SEC assistants who could get a lot of buzz for head coaching jobs.

So this is why I disagree with your assessment of what the article is talking about. First, it isn't meant to be a comprehensive list and include every assistant who could become a HC next season. Instead, and secondly, it is about who could get a lot of buzz. Say Canada and Enos both have their names whispered in three HC jobs. Canada is going to generate more buzz because that is a more nationally relevant program potentially losing their coordinator. So, it just about who is most qualified, but about who generates the most buzz which is a function of how often your name is mentioned with jobs and the impact of you leaving changing jobs.

With Enos, I guess another way to put my question is if he is a Spock or a Kirk. Spock can be an effective captain, but he is best suited as the first officer with Kirk being the captain. There are many fantastic coordinators that are much better coordinators than they are HC's. Enos was solid as a HC, he wasn't terrible. However, he voluntarily demoted him self as far as the coaching latter goes back to coordinator. If I'm hiring somebody, that's a red flag I want to check out. Now, if he thought that he was much more likely to get a HC job at a better school if he became the OC at Arkansas than he would have by remaining at EMU, then that flag checks out and no more flag. If he wasn't enjoying being a HC and felt more comfortable as an OC, then he's been a great OC but I'm not going to want to hire him as a HC even if he says he has changed and wants to be a HC again.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 28, 2017, 10:27:19 pm
So you are literally saying the only time he has done really well as a coach has been literally every job he's had since moving up to college ranks from HS? There are only 3 teams he has worked for, and all 3 were fully loaded with elite talent and he did really well as a coach at all 3 places.

I'll agree that it remains to be seen what he can do with a team with bad talent, but your post makes it seem like he has done poorly in the past with teams lacking talent when that is not the case, at least since he relatively recently left the HS ranks.

Or, are you talking about earlier than that? He spent one year as a GA for Bama back in 97. He moved from there to DB coach at a HS, and then up to DB coach at a small college before going back to be DC of that same first HS. Each stop there lasted only a year before he switched to assistant at a different HS, moving up to DB and then DC again before re-entering college for the first time since he was DB coach in his 2nd year after being a GA. From there, he's moved from being an assistant coach for Saban, up to a position coach, becoming a DC for FSU, then DC for UGA, and now back to Bama where he is also a DC.

Which school did he not do so hot at? Or is that one of those things where because it has never it happened, it is by default true. Like saying Arkansas has never lost a game while a member of the PAC 12.

Pruitt didn't do all that great at Georgia.

One of the reasons why Mark Richt is now at Miami (FL).

King Kong

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 29, 2017, 11:57:56 pm

You may want to recheck the stats on that. #17 in yards allowed in 2014 and #7 in 2015

bennyl08

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 29, 2017, 11:57:56 pm

Was 32 and then 45th in total defense in 12-13 before Pruitt went there. 17th then 7th in 14-15 when Pruitt was there.

18th then 79th in scoring defense in 12-13 before Pruitt went there. 16th then 8th in 14-15 when Pruitt was there.

My god I hope Rhoads doesn't do all that great here at Arkansas ...