Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Comments on first day of spring practices

Started by Biggus Piggus, March 28, 2017, 05:43:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

HamSammich

Quote from: Hollywood870 on March 28, 2017, 09:08:53 pm
The internet is so awesome. If you disagree with someone you get to call people STUPID all of the time and never have to worry about getting smacked so hard that you spin around like a tornado from Twister. It's the best.

Yep. If you have a brain and your own set of eyes and have a different opinion you are instantly stupid here.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: HamSammich on March 29, 2017, 10:52:45 am
Yep. If you have a brain and your own set of eyes and have a different opinion you are instantly stupid here.

No. That's not how it works.
[CENSORED]!

PorkRinds

Quote from: HamSammich on March 29, 2017, 10:52:45 am

Nah it usually just takes saying stupid darn consistently to be labeled stupid.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

The_Iceman

a0ashle

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 29, 2017, 10:59:15 am
Wow. Dude is massive for a WR.
Didn't bielema say that Jen asked him if he was a new DE, and was like nope, that's my new WR.

GolfnHog

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 28, 2017, 08:59:19 pm
Ok......snowflake

So other than being a fan with an opinion (open for debate but I digress) what in your past life experiences can you put forth as evidence you can or were better than any of these young men you tend to be disparaging towards? If you have said experience prove it with substance and documented proof. I may give credence to your over inflated personal opinions and bashings. Otherwise you're just another blow hard "fan" that expects the college football world to think your voice holds any credence.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

PonderinHog

Quote from: GolfnHog on March 29, 2017, 01:24:14 pm
So other than being a fan with an opinion (open for debate but I digress) what in your past life experiences can you put forth as evidence you can or were better than any of these young men you tend to be disparaging towards? If you have said experience prove it with substance and documented proof. I may give credence to your over inflated personal opinions and bashings. Otherwise you're just another blow hard "fan" that expects the college football world to think your voice holds any credence.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: phadedhawg on March 28, 2017, 07:02:56 pm
I always enjoy practice reports but take everything before kickoff on opening day with many grains of salt. 

Enough to fill a salt mine!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

bennyl08

Quote from: ricepig on March 29, 2017, 03:24:04 pm
I'm hoping that he was misquoted.

Bielema likes to feature players that return for their senior seasons. When Trey did it, I feel like I remember coach saying that he could be on offense in goal line situations and the such.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

GolfnHog

Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

redleg

Quote from: ricepig on March 29, 2017, 03:15:54 pm
https://twitter.com/SportsTalkwBo/status/847180220142628864
I don't understand why he would do this to Ragnow. Leave the guy alone and let him focus on being the best center in the nation! Just stop it CBB!  >:(
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

GuvHog

Quote from: redleg on March 29, 2017, 03:57:44 pm
I don't understand why he would do this to Ragnow. Leave the guy alone and let him focus on being the best center in the nation! Just stop it CBB!  >:(

I understand it. CBB knows his back is to the wall and the Hog faithful are growing impatient so he'll do whatever within the rules it takes to win big this year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

zebradynasty

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on March 29, 2017, 04:03:02 pm
I understand it. CBB knows his back is to the wall and the Hog faithful are growing impatient so he'll do whatever within the rules it takes to win big this year.
Lol

hawginbigd1

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 29, 2017, 10:59:15 am
Wow. Dude is massive for a WR.
Yeah I haven't ever seen a WR without a neck LOL!

Whew, Please, lets ease off the players and let the situation play out.  Only thing I would likely change if I had a choice is even offering a 1st and 2nd team lineup this early.  I hope this staff is right up on making every player better tomorrow than they were today.  We may have the makings for a decent team but it will take every player doing their best to make a decent team.  Applying 1st and 2nd team status before or just after the first practice, in my opinion, is not productive.

bennyl08

Quote from: 12247 on March 29, 2017, 04:37:03 pm
Whew, Please, lets ease off the players and let the situation play out.  Only thing I would likely change if I had a choice is even offering a 1st and 2nd team lineup this early.  I hope this staff is right up on making every player better tomorrow than they were today.  We may have the makings for a decent team but it will take every player doing their best to make a decent team.  Applying 1st and 2nd team status before or just after the first practice, in my opinion, is not productive.

So, you would have them not scrimmage whatsoever? Strictly run positional drills with people lined up alphabetically?

Otherwise, if you want to run plays in a skeleton of do some light scrimmaging etc..., you will have to choose 11 players to put out there. One of those groups will have to go first. As a teaching method, it helps if people see something executed correctly before they themselves try it, so it makes sense to have the group more likely to do something right go first before putting in other groups.

If you have ever watched a practice before, you will notice the 1st and 2nd team "status" is extremely fluid, particularly at the start of of spring ball. You'll see 8 or 9 guys gets reps on the OL as part of the 1st team, and similarly for most other positions.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: redleg on March 29, 2017, 03:57:44 pm

Srsly?
[CENSORED]!

Nope, If I were the HC, I would not put a number on any player early on.  And our HC may not have.  Biggus may have drawn his opinion based on who he saw operating  in certain positions.

I played a bit in 3 sports.  Not great but decent in at least 1.  Never had a coach, HC or Manager who would label us before the first practice or after 1 practice.  Most players have a general idea where they fit in, at least in my day they did.  Most players have a good idea who they need to beat out to move up and most players know who the have to beat to stay on top.  Perhaps I drew more than I should have from this thread.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 29, 2017, 03:27:44 pm
Bielema likes to feature players that return for their senior seasons. When Trey did it, I feel like I remember coach saying that he could be on offense in goal line situations and the such.

bennyl08

Quote from: 12247 on March 29, 2017, 05:46:04 pm
Nope, If I were the HC, I would not put a number on any player early on.  And our HC may not have.  Biggus may have drawn his opinion based on who he saw operating  in certain positions.

I played a bit in 3 sports.  Not great but decent in at least 1.  Never had a coach, HC or Manager who would label us before the first practice or after 1 practice.  Most players have a general idea where they fit in, at least in my day they did.  Most players have a good idea who they need to beat out to move up and most players know who the have to beat to stay on top.  Perhaps I drew more than I should have from this thread.

Has Bielema released any official depth chart?

No.

Do you have to group certain players in order to run practice running different plays?

Yes.

Do you put players who are more likely to show how a play is executed to go first before letting less experienced players go next?

If you want an efficient way to actually teach your players, yes.

If you agree with the answers to my questions, congrats, you have just "assigned numbers" to the players. Is there a single player on our team who is officially a first string player? No. There does not even exist a depth chart yet. Are there unofficially first and second stringers? Yes. Will we see Storey and Cole taking snaps from Ragnow and throwing to the likes of Cornelius? Yes to that as well.

Biggus Piggus

By the way, Bo's tweet was a misstatement. Bielema was trying to characterize Ragnow's athletic ability.
[CENSORED]!

rhames

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 29, 2017, 06:05:57 pm
By the way, Bo's tweet was a misstatement. Bielema was trying to characterize Ragnow's athletic ability.

I heard the soundbite and didn't think the quote was a missstatement unless you are saying on Bret's end.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

PorkRinds

Quote from: rhames on March 29, 2017, 07:05:39 pm

I heard the soundbite and didn't think through quote was a missstatement unless you are saying on Bret's end.

That's what he means I believe. That coach b misspoke and was basically just saying Ragnow is a beast that could get on the field on either side of the ball if he wasn't a stud center.

HogHomer

Quote from: rhames on March 29, 2017, 07:05:39 pm

I heard the soundbite and didn't think through quote was a missstatement unless you are saying on Bret's end.
If it's the same quote were thinking of he goes on to say that he wouldn't do that because he wants Ragnow focusing on center because that's where they like him best

rhames

Well we are talking about a coach who came up with a play for one of his linemen to throw a TD pass. Hahahaha

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

rhames

Quote from: HogHomer on March 29, 2017, 07:11:10 pm
If it's the same quote were thinking of he goes on to say that he wouldn't do that because he wants Ragnow focusing on center because that's where they like him best

I heard the soundbite that ended with him just talking about him playing defense. Then Bo and Dudley, in a joking manner, said you had to get creative if you want your center to win the Heisman

LZH

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 29, 2017, 10:55:24 am
No. That's not how it works.

That's not what you told me a couple of years ago!......

BigSexyHog

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 28, 2017, 06:50:25 pm
You can sugar coat it all you want. He wasn't good enough to play for an average Texas team. If he is back to first team then that high lights what you posted. We still don't have any depth at OL. There are no trophies for second place.

YES!!!!! 1ST day of practice and we are slamming out guys saying they suck.....hogville at its finest.... who else sucks????
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

bcdeputy

Quote from: tusksincolorado on March 28, 2017, 09:38:56 pm
I am so damn tired of that ignorant, stupid, condescending, name tag. 

It only hurts if you let it.  If you don't care what the person that uses it thinks about you then why would it matter to you?  Brush him off as ignorant

ricepig

Quote from: hogz11 on March 29, 2017, 08:07:51 pm
Quit being so thin skinned people.

Everyone saw how bad Raulerson played last year injured or not.

Gibson comes in and looked dominant.

I don't see why Raulerson would start again. Just my opinion though.

And Gibson not being in the 2 deep makes no sense unless there's another issue besides football. The proof is in the pudding and we all saw it last year.

"Ragnow "is as good as I've ever had" at center and he's "had a lot of good players." Brian Wallace is coming along but being pushed by a lot of people. Watching Hjalte Froholdt this spring, "you'll understand why we played him." Put Colton Jackson against Ragnow in a competition this spring and he only lost by 1 point. Jake Raulerson has had a great offseason. Johnny Gibson has to continue to mature but has done some good things. Excited to see Deion Malone. Zack Rogers is solid."

rhames

Quote from: hogz11 on March 29, 2017, 08:07:51 pm
Quit being so thin skinned people.

Everyone saw how bad Raulerson played last year injured or not.

Gibson comes in and looked dominant.

I don't see why Raulerson would start again. Just my opinion though.

And Gibson not being in the 2 deep makes no sense unless there's another issue besides football. The proof is in the pudding and we all saw it last year.

Dude.

It's like the first depth chart of the year and means about as much as all the posts in here.

It is going to be ok.

HamSammich

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 29, 2017, 05:19:57 pm
Srsly?

yes very seriously....

lack of quality recruiting on the defensive line doesn't mean you mess up a first rounders draft potential. How many snaps has he had on the defensive side? He will get injured. Its like playing ping pong for 20 years then suddenly my coach deciding I'm a tennis player.

ricepig

Quote from: HamSammich on March 29, 2017, 08:27:26 pm
yes very seriously....

lack of quality recruiting on the defensive line doesn't mean you mess up a first rounders draft potential. How many snaps has he had on the defensive side? He will get injured. Its like playing ping pong for 20 years then suddenly my coach deciding I'm a tennis player.

He won't play a down on defense, lol.

woodhog14

Quote from: hobhog on March 28, 2017, 09:49:39 pm
Very little mention of TJ Hammonds early. Bothersome.

Please explain how this is bothersome. It is the FIRST DAY OF SPRING PRACTICE! Jesus...

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Bunch of nerve wrackin SOB's... It's like playing cards with my brother's kids or somethin...LOL!
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

swineology

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 29, 2017, 06:05:57 pm

Surprise Bo is as full of Shat as a Christmas Turkey

PorkRinds

Quote from: HamSammich on March 29, 2017, 08:27:26 pm
yes very seriously....

Dude. You're going off about some dumb darn.  He's not playing Ragnow on defense.

PonderinHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 29, 2017, 08:50:01 pm
Dude. You're going off about some dumb darn.  He's not playing Ragnow on defense.
But Bo said...

tusksincolorado

Quote from: rhames on March 29, 2017, 08:20:52 pm

Dude.

It's like the first depth chart of the year and means about as much as all the posts in here.

It is going to be ok.

Would you PLEASE keep posting!!!!!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

HawgTide

Quote from: rhames on March 29, 2017, 08:20:52 pm

Dude.

It is going to be ok.

It's never too early for some to freak out