Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What to watch for in spring practice?

Started by hobhog, February 10, 2017, 12:36:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

Quote from: jdelo77 on February 13, 2017, 12:51:07 pm
I pray we see hammonds line up in the slot , and take 5-7 snaps at RB ..

We average 71 plays per game last season. With about 34 of those snaps per game going to running plays.

RW3 averaged 19, Whaley another 8.5. Williams doesn't look to be getting too many fewer carries, Whaley looks to be a 1b to RW3's 1a. in 2014 with JWill and Collins, they both averaged 16 carries per game.

30 carries per game is what we you really want to avoid for a RB while 15-25 is in the ideal zone. So, there is no apparent need for either to play less to keep them fresh. The only reason to take plays away from them is to force somebody else into the scheme. Hammonds will undoubtably see a few carries next season. However, 5-7 snaps per game would be more than any other 3rd back in the rotation has received to date under Bielema here. 3 carries per game is much more on par with what to expect. Any more and you really start to cut into the main two guys. And if you are going to do that, the person cutting in better be pretty close to being as good as the first 2. That could be the case for Hammonds, but if you are going to seek supernatural help for the razorbacks next season, probably more beneficial for to focus efforts on good LB play. IMO at least.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Oklahawg

Of modest interest to me:

1. what players are deemed no longer likely to contribute and are assisted in moving on, creating "cap room" in the 85-scholarship count going forward.
2. what players might get there, but don't by the end of spring drills, and leave the staff looking around for graduate transfers to plug in to a hole.
3. Austin Allen has to grow what we sometimes call "intangibles." Moxie, instinct, what have you. A sense of when to take a risk and when to dial it back a notch. Having the game slow down (a lot). Enos and Co were able to make him look like the best (or at least one of the best) UA QB of the SEC era and then the conference figured out the OL which allowed them to figure out Allen. I want to believe that fixing the OL will fix many of Austin's issues. I will also say that as good as Allen might be, and as good as big brother was, Kelley has the potential to push Austin this spring - he is the real deal (or will we see that this spring?).

As for #1, I think we'll see a reasonably large turnover - 4-5 any way. As for #2, I will cringe if it is OL or DL related. I expect DB to be a "work in progress" well into next season. LB could be. TE could be (but better not be).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

jdelo77

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 13, 2017, 05:13:30 pm
We average 71 plays per game last season. With about 34 of those snaps per game going to running plays.

RW3 averaged 19, Whaley another 8.5. Williams doesn't look to be getting too many fewer carries, Whaley looks to be a 1b to RW3's 1a. in 2014 with JWill and Collins, they both averaged 16 carries per game.

30 carries per game is what we you really want to avoid for a RB while 15-25 is in the ideal zone. So, there is no apparent need for either to play less to keep them fresh. The only reason to take plays away from them is to force somebody else into the scheme. Hammonds will undoubtably see a few carries next season. However, 5-7 snaps per game would be more than any other 3rd back in the rotation has received to date under Bielema here. 3 carries per game is much more on par with what to expect. Any more and you really start to cut into the main two guys. And if you are going to do that, the person cutting in better be pretty close to being as good as the first 2. That could be the case for Hammonds, but if you are going to seek supernatural help for the razorbacks next season, probably more beneficial for to focus efforts on good LB play. IMO at least.

Good break down , a little long but , good break down ! He needs more than one or two snaps a game ...that's my point

bennyl08

Quote from: jdelo77 on February 14, 2017, 01:03:37 pm
Good break down , a little long but , good break down ! He needs more than one or two snaps a game ...that's my point

Sounded like your point was specifically he needs those snaps at RB. At which point, more than 3 snaps per game and you then have to ask, what other studs on campus do I take the ball away from? RW3? Whaley? Austin Allen?

I think his best bet is in the slot. Cornelius is the only guy returning that has much experience. Jones, Martin, and Pettway are best suited for the outside. He'd likely be fighting Stewart and true freshmen for the slot position. Unless Jones, Pettway, and Martin prove to be so good they take the outside positions and have Cornelius, who is likely a slot guy in the NFL, move inside. Plus, being in the slot, Hammonds could motion in the backfield every once in a while. He needs to work on keeping the ball tight and close though, rather than swinging it wildly while running.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

I would offer that Hammonds could be on the field with Williams or Whaley to give the D something to thought process.  The more possible paths our O has available on each play, the harder the job is for the D.  I wish we had 2 Guys that were decent at throwing the ball and could be on the field at the same time.  When your O-line CANNOT overpower the D, give the D something more to worry about.  Spread the D as thin as possible. 

factchecker

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 13, 2017, 04:43:36 pm
Anybody know how many fumbles Allen lost? He was sacked 34 times and threw 15 interceptions. All those mistakes are serious business.

Moreover, Allen's completion % after September was 58% with 16 TD, 13 INT.

He was 56% for the season in the second halves of games, with nine TDs and 11 INTs.

And 46% completion on third downs.

Allen's completion % dropped sharply inside the opponents' 40-yard line, which is normal. Also fell way off when the Hogs were trailing, also normal but a little too extreme.

His interceptions were equally distributed among situations when the Razorbacks were ahead, tied, or behind.

You can blame his pass protection for some of his problems. But the third down and second half stats were dangerously correlated with the team's biggest blunders.

Comparing Austin with Brandon in 2015:

Brandon's completion percentages were over 60% in all scoring splits - ahead, tied, behind.

He completed 70% in September, 56% in October, 69% in November, 77% in the bowl.

He had 23 TDs / 5 INTs / 12 sacks from October-January.

He completed 62% in the second halves of games, with 13 TDs, 3 INT.

Brandon completed 56% on third downs, 1,000 bp better than Austin did.

Pro Football Focus has Austin rated as one the best 10 players returning in the SEC.

Here is what they said:

Quote8. Arkansas QB Austin Allen
The only quarterback on this list, Allen surprised a lot of people by stepping in and taking over as the team's starting quarterback with ease last year. He stood out in particular throwing the ball downfield, throwing eight touchdowns to one interception on throws travelling at least 20 yards downfield. One key thing he'll have to work on in 2017 is improving under pressure. In 2016, his completion percentage dropped from 72.8 percent when kept clean, to 44.1 percent when pressure got to him.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-football-the-top-10-returning-sec-players/?utm_content=buffer2ebc

They attached this chart with an interesting stat breakdown of Austin's play:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 13, 2017, 11:56:07 am
On offense:

1. Most intrigued about whether Enos will focus on sharpening Austin Allen's skills, or distribute practice time more equitably. Allen has a lot to improve. Protect the football better, execute run plays better, improve ability to read the field, avoid sacks, adjust protections better.
After his shaky debut, the next 5 games I was getting primed to say best QB ever at Arkansas, but then he hit the skids, and played horrible against Barn and LSU. Not sure how much control he has at the LOS, but it looked like None, or he didn't know what he was doing. The constant beating didn't help, but it was more than that.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 13, 2017, 05:16:08 pm
I will also say that as good as Allen might be, and as good as big brother was, Kelley has the potential to push Austin this spring

I'm excited about Kelly....In my hogville fantasies I see him coming in like $cam did for the 'barn, loading everybody onto his back and carrying us to the promise land.  I like Austin a lot, but I would not be surprised to see Kelly step to the front this spring.   
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

HamSammich

I'm watching For the first hogville posters and media to write or say .....---> "The (insert position group) is the best we have seen on the hill and finally looks like an SEC (insert position group)"

Happens every year.

factchecker

Quote from: HamSammich on February 15, 2017, 01:26:09 pm
I'm watching For the first hogville posters and media to write or say .....---> "The (insert position group) is the best we have seen on the hill and finally looks like an SEC (insert position group)" to bitch about everything and say we will be lucky to win 1 game.

Happens every year.

FIFY
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

phadedhawg

Quote from: HamSammich on February 15, 2017, 01:26:09 pm
I'm watching For the first hogville posters and media to write or say .....---> "The (insert position group) is the best we have seen on the hill and finally looks like an SEC (insert position group)"

Happens every year.

Pretty much.  This year during spring practice I hope to watch out for the hype train.  Every year I fall for it and I am disappointed when we see the actual product on the field.

HamSammich

Quote from: phadedhawg on February 15, 2017, 02:18:51 pm
Pretty much.  This year during spring practice I hope to watch out for the hype train.  Every year I fall for it and I am disappointed when we see the actual product on the field.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger buddy. I've been in that boat with you.

ricepig

Quote from: phadedhawg on February 15, 2017, 02:18:51 pm

Well, watch the game, or a practice, develop your own opinion. It's hard to not get optimistic when it all reads positive, but the coaches aren't going to say "we're the suckiest bunch of sucks, whoever sucked".

navyhog24

You can watch all the practice stuff you want. We really won't know anything until conference play starts. 6-6 at best next season.

ricepig

Quote from: navyhog24 on February 15, 2017, 02:35:27 pm
You can watch all the practice stuff you want. We really won't know anything until conference play starts. 6-6 at best next season.

No, the astute observer is able separate the wheat from the chaff at practice.

bennyl08

Quote from: ricepig on February 15, 2017, 03:39:09 pm

To a certain degree, for sure.

For example, take a play where the receiver makes a contested catch. Lay person may just see the contested catch. Trained eye will see how sharp the receiver ran the route and exploded off the line. How well placed the ball was. How much effort the CB had to make to keep up with the receiver. That's how you start to project how well things happen against yourself to what will happen vs somebody else.

Or, say the DL is getting pressure on the OL. Could be that the DL is that good. Could be that the OL is just that bad. Question becomes, how much effort is the DL having to use to get past the OL. Are they just getting there off of speed with minimal hand technique? That would be evidence towards bad OL. Are they having feint inside before spinning outside and still run the race of their life to try and get to the QB? That would be evidence that both lines are good and the competition is fierce.

MuskogeeHogFan

The Fan feels that they are capable of this but they haven't been afforded the opportunity to see these kids in practices, in meeting rooms etc. Sure, you can tell if a kid who is considered to be a "skill" player has speed or quickness or good hands, but beyond that, there is little that a Fan can glean from watching a single (or even three) practice, let alone a spring game. Not a diss to you Rice or anyone else, I am just of the opinion that you have to see the entire body of work over more time than a practice or few to accurately be able to separate the "wheat from the chaff" the vast majority of the time.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 15, 2017, 04:48:32 pm
The Fan feels that they are capable of this but they haven't been afforded the opportunity to see these kids in practices, in meeting rooms etc. Sure, you can tell if a kid who is considered to be a "skill" player has speed or quickness or good hands, but beyond that, there is little that a Fan can glean from watching a single (or even three) practice, let alone a spring game. Not a diss to you Rice or anyone else, I am just of the opinion that you have to see the entire body of work over more time a than a practice or few to accurately be able to separate the "wheat from the chaff" the vast majority of the time.

I do miss that about the Petrino era. I'd go watch the practices after class in the spring. Now, no longer in the state, though only a handful of scrimmages and the spring game are open to the fans.

Anybody who has played sports in general knows that sometimes you have good days and sometimes you have bad. Unless you are seeing all the days, you can't say for certain where a player's overall body of work is. All you can say is that the player has the physical capability to do this or that you haven't seen them do something yet.

hobhog

TJ Hammonds. Back up QB. 3rd string RB. The 4-3. Punter. The 4-3.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: ricepig on February 15, 2017, 02:29:37 pm
Well, watch the game, or a practice, develop your own opinion. It's hard to not get optimistic when it all reads positive, but the coaches aren't going to say "we're the suckiest bunch of sucks, whoever sucked".
Unless your coach is spurrier
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Cinco de Hogo

So you don't think our coaches are astute...in the end they are the ones putting the players in position and in games.  It doesn't matter what we think it's how astute our coaches are and you know as well as anybody they are making decisions based on practice.  I'm only worried about THEIR astuteness not anybodies on this board.

Also...if Dan Skipper starts at left tackle we are in trouble!!!

factchecker

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on March 23, 2017, 08:29:32 am

BIG TROUBLE.

It has to be some type of NCAA violation to have a NFL lineman as your starting left tackle.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: factchecker on March 23, 2017, 08:31:37 am
BIG TROUBLE.

It has to be some type of NCAA violation to have a NFL lineman as your starting left tackle.

LOL!

Fact, that is a repeat of what I said last year when they moved him and was meant to imply we don't have a left tackle...again.

factchecker

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on March 23, 2017, 08:47:08 am
LOL!

Fact, that is a repeat of what I said last year when they moved him and was meant to imply we don't have a left tackle...again.

We have plenty of guys that SHOULD be able to step up.

Colton Jackson and Brian Wallace should be the tackles.

Raulerson has been mentioned but unless he has a Brandon Allen type of improvement then he doesn't need to start.

Heinrich and Merrick should start pushing for playing time soon.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: factchecker on March 23, 2017, 09:19:05 am

Raulerson has been mentioned but unless he has a Brandon Allen type of improvement then he doesn't need to start.

All I know is someone will start the first game.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on March 23, 2017, 08:29:32 am
So you don't think our coaches are astute...in the end they are the ones putting the players in position and in games.  It doesn't matter what we think it's how astute our coaches are and you know as well as anybody they are making decisions based on practice.  I'm only worried about THEIR astuteness not anybodies on this board.

I believe that he was saying that any astute observer could do this, not just the coaches which he did not address. 

I think our OL might finally be getting some solid depth, not worried here.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

bennyl08

Quote from: factchecker on March 23, 2017, 09:19:05 am

I think Ramirez is going to claim one of the starting spots. He was getting looks in fall camp before an injury put him in the backseat.

He is IMO one of our more athletic linemen.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: factchecker on February 14, 2017, 03:02:34 pm
They attached this chart with an interesting stat breakdown of Austin's play:

EFBAB displays his ignorance for all to see:  What does "SK" stand for?

EFBAB

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on March 23, 2017, 01:35:32 pm
EFBAB displays his ignorance for all to see:  What does "SK" stand for?

EFBAB

Skinned knees. AKA sacks.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

swineology

Quote from: hobhog on February 10, 2017, 12:36:26 pm
I'm interested to see who steps up at WR and how much attention Hammonds gets. Also who will step up at LB and DB.

I'm interested in seeing who survives the season after" the freaks come out"

1highhog

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on February 10, 2017, 02:21:52 pm
I can't argue with the long breakdown above.

I do wonder how Bell fits in and on which side of the ball.

I also wonder how good Kelley is.  They call him "the franchise."  AA is already one of the top returning QBs in the conference, so I don't think his job is in danger. I do thing Ty Storey's back-up role could be. And if CK is THAT good, maybe AA is in danger too. Probably not in all likelihood, but they sure have talked CK up.

EFBAB

Allen's starting job is in jeopardy about like the likelihood that Trump is having a secret affair with Hillary.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 23, 2017, 09:45:27 am
I believe that he was saying that any astute observer could do this, not just the coaches which he did not address. 

I think our OL might finally be getting some solid depth, not worried here.

Worried is probably not the right word but I will be concerned until the play on the field in SEC play tells me not to be.  That's just the way it is when you have no proof of anything and I'm not saying that because I don't see talent.  Talent still has to mature.

goodguytex

Quote from: 1highhog on March 24, 2017, 04:30:47 am
Allen's starting job is in jeopardy about like the likelihood that Trump is having a secret affair with Hillary.
Haha!! Good one!

HF#1

Which group will the coaches pump up the most? That will be the most disappointing spot whatever it is.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Arthur pigby sellers.

Quote from: 1highhog on March 24, 2017, 04:30:47 am
Watch it!  Trump does like the challenge of a married woman.  He might brag about that conquest during his next presidential campaign.

The only thing I've learned about the spring is that it's really hard for us to gauge how good a unit is going to be based on spring ball, and I think sometimes even the coaches get fooled into thinking a group is SEC ready when they aren't.
Spring is really good indicator of which players are making big strides and which ones are getting left behind.

Sed76

Quote from: HF#1 on March 24, 2017, 08:16:05 am
Which group will the coaches pump up the most? That will be the most disappointing spot whatever it is.

I expect the coaches and Razorback Nations guys to fawn all over the new defense come August. Then the season starts and it's more of the same old same missed tackles, playing 10 yards off the receivers, guys out of position. Sure would be nice to be wrong though.

Biggus Piggus

Gawd, what's with all the snide remarks on this thread?
[CENSORED]!

hobhog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 24, 2017, 03:09:15 pm

Has to be all the pollen.

Besides punter, I assume all the special teams skill positions are set but would like to see Hammonds return punts if he can field them. We have to see what this kid can do.

goodguytex

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 24, 2017, 03:09:15 pm
Seems to be snide or snarky remarks in general today. Early football withdrawal maybe? I just don't know.