Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is starting to bother me. Am I the only one?

Started by 007 License To Squeal, December 05, 2007, 09:30:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

007 License To Squeal

I come to Hogville in an attempt to get some information about the coaching search, and I see all these new posters who seem to be doing everything possible to clog the available bandwidth.  They seem to be merely chatting about how long a thread is, etc.  Are these just Kids?

Anyone else feel like this, or am I just  being grumpy?

******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on December 05, 2007, 09:30:30 am
I come to Hogville in an attempt to get some information about the coaching search, and I see all these new posters who seem to be doing everything possible to clog the available bandwidth.  They seem to be merely chatting about how long a thread is, etc.  Are these just Kids?

Ha, ha, ha.....well, maybe a little grumpy 007......but I have noticed the same thing. Almost impossible to get on at times.
Go Hogs Go!

Bosston

I'm suprised Hooten has that much time. With the new job and all....

Hog_Wild_104

I am with you on this one.  Plus you have a new thread about Gus every 30 seconds.  It's pretty bad.

DeltaBoy

You are correct sir ! I feel the same way we are being over ran wirh newbies spreading wild rumors.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Lanny

We're trying to clean up the board this morning.  Last night was a trainwreck.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

subjectstorm

it does seem as if some people on here have a whole lot of nothing to say recently.

i don't post much, usually just sort of lurk and read.  lately, the front page of MMQB is looking like a cow pasture - buncha dumb animals spreading BS all over the place.

hogsanity

Same thing that happened around this time last year when emailgate, protests etc were going on.  I think hogville added more new member from dec06-mar 07 than we did the rest of the year combined.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

RazorChick

I completely agree with you about this...although I AM a newbie according to my post count (not my join date).  But, the biggest problem is that clearly the mods are trying to combine similar threads, newbies AND established members continue to post new threads about the same topic. 

pfrg999

Yes... they are everywhere.... With sources, and some smarmy jackholeish come backs Thanks HSV... for starting the process...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

rickm1976

Don't worry about it, they'll get tired of it soon and move on to something else.

J.A.Y.

Didn't we have a quota last year for MMQB, you had to have so many post before you could post on MMQB?
There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The rest you can deal with if you have any time left over.

porkchopscott

Well I am just a new guy but man last night you couldnt get on and there is a lot of walk ons with 3 or 4 post and some over them with more then one post

pfrg999

Quote from: subjectstorm on December 05, 2007, 09:37:23 am
it does seem as if some people on here have a whole lot of nothing to say recently.

i don't post much, usually just sort of lurk and read.  lately, the front page of MMQB is looking like a cow pasture - buncha dumb animals spreading BS all over the place.

Lurker ;) ... That is a great metaphor... And the mods have to get out the Pooper Scoopers to clean up the mess
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

secfan30

Quote from: Bosston on December 05, 2007, 09:34:04 am
I'm suprised Hooten has that much time. With the new job and all....

Well Hooten may not have the time to be on a computer, but we all know someone in his house that does.

SpareRib

Quote from: hSv on December 05, 2007, 09:37:00 am
We're trying to clean up the board this morning.  Last night was a trainwreck.

It sure was.  But problems associated with growth sure beat the alternative.  :D

Thanks for what you do.

I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

pfrg999

Quote from: Hog_Wild_104 on December 05, 2007, 09:35:50 am
I am with you on this one.  Plus you have a new thread about Gus every 30 seconds.  It's pretty bad.

Dude, you have been a member for 9 days and already Ignored by one person..... You are the Newbie  ???

007 License To Squeal

Being a concrete-minded  Sys Admin, I would love to see the stats for the past week.

Hog_Wild_104

Quote from: pfrg999 on December 05, 2007, 09:43:20 am
Dude, you have been a member for 9 days and already Ignored by one person..... You are the Newbie  ???
I have come to this board for years, never needed to register.  I just read, never start threads.  Good investigative work though.

HognotinMemphis

If you've registered here in the last 2 weeks, you should be banned.  :-\
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Yeah there's nothing like reading a thread 10 pages long where half the post say the same thing. Is it really that hard to read an entire thread before you post something?

I really enjoy the people that read something on say page 2 of a 5 page thread and immediately reply without reading ahead to see if the point has been addressed.

RiteRev

I agree 007.

My question is ....do guests visiting the board also eat up said bandwidth?  If so, it should be restricted to members only during high traffic periods so that those of us that ARE members can access this great site.  I've been having trouble getting in MMQB for the last few days.

Bama Hog™

December 05, 2007, 09:54:37 am #22 Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 10:01:03 am by Bama Hog
Why not make it where you have to have, say 2500??? posts before you can start a thread in MMQB.
Quote from: SILK PURSE on October 03, 2008, 09:34:24 am
MM and DW are to be lauded as Arkansas sports heroes for their overall contribution, not just on the playing field during one season, but also for the sacrifices that they made which ensured the dismantling of the Frank Broyles machine. 

memphishog

it doesn't help that we have nothing specific to talk about. the search dragging out is leading to all 31k with their opinions to share. when this mess ends it will be back to normal.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: RiteRev on December 05, 2007, 09:49:18 am
I agree 007.

My question is ....do guests visiting the board also eat up said bandwidth?  If so, it should be restricted to members only during high traffic periods so that those of us that ARE members can access this great site.  I've been having trouble getting in MMQB for the last few days.

Yes, everyone who attempts to connect, uses the same pipe.  In addition, most server platforms have a maximum number of simultaneous connections.

ProfusionalHog

I wonder what percentage of the newbies are actually "new posters"?

bigbore

I have been a member of this board for 362 days. I only have 13 posts 14 counting this one.  To many on here I am a newby according to my post count. But, I am on here every day to read and find out what is going on with the hogs. There are some really imformative people on here and some that just don't know crap about anything.  To the ones that do know accurate things I say Cudos, to the others, well log out.

bigbore out

skillet283

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on December 05, 2007, 09:45:46 am

Right, because everyone knows that all the smart people were here 15 days ago???  ;)

Hopefully you're being tongue-in-cheek, though I doubt it.  Like another reply mentioned, I also lurk a lot and post little.  But people are seeking information, that could be a huge reason for the growth in members lately.  Last year in Jan-Feb I watched when the number grew quickly from 15,000 to 20,000.  Same thing has been going on in the last 10 days.  This board is free, it's interesting (or addictive), and normally the conversations are worth reading.

All that being said, I agree with the original post--way too much posting and not enough reading.  The cow pasture metaphor is perfect.  Thanks, moderators, for trying to make sense of it all and for enforcing some standards.  But we're probably preaching to the choir at this point.  If somebody's made it this far into this thread, then they're probably not part of the problem!

jb

josh_sec33

No one knows anything concrete...so some are making up inferences, and others are bored.

Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Pigmund Freud

I think there are some revenge-minded , new Ole Miss supporters on here, though.

chantsdemocratic

And then there are the newbies like me that are Missouri fans interested in our upcoming opponents.  Good morning Hog fans and good luck in the Cotton Bowl.  Should be a great contest between a running power and a passing offense.

jfb4ever

May I add what is bothering Me! Any Post about Broyles still having Power and Blocking Gus is Trashed? This didn't just start, I have quit this site 3 times this year for this Reason?

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: bigbore on December 05, 2007, 10:06:28 am
I have been a member of this board for 362 days. I only have 13 posts 14 counting this one.  To many on here I am a newby according to my post count. But, I am on here every day to read and find out what is going on with the hogs. There are some really imformative people on here and some that just don't know crap about anything.  To the ones that do know accurate things I say Cudos, to the others, well log out.

bigbore out
This is why I said those who registered in the last two weeks should be banned. I did not say those who posted and have less than "X" number of posts should be banned.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

bigarrazorback

i was just thinking about this very topic this morning, i woke up saying ok well who is the next name that the 1 post wonders are gonna say is gonna be the coach, BTW im tired of going to the bank, and writing it down.

jgphillips3

I agree that posts should be merged and we shouldn't start 5,000 threads on the same topic, but it will pass.  I almost always try to have something to say when I post, but there have been moments where things like the "TTTWD" allowed me to laugh through my emotionally drained exhaustion with some silly comments.  

There is some stupid stuff that is going on that people need to chill on, but some of the goofiness is just a comic break from the emotionally tense nature of this coaching search.  Once a new coach has been hired and a few days have passed, everything will calm down.  We'll all get through this.

tbailey

I hardly ever post but have read for a long time and to read some of the stupid posts over the last several days is irritating.

Hoggish1

I'm grumpy too.  Yesterday was impossible.

razorbass

Some us have been members for over two years, that should say something about who should be aloud. not the no. of post, I was a guest here for almost a year before becoming a member. Like allot of you say on here read more post less!

bigarrazorback

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 05, 2007, 10:35:59 am
I agree that posts should be merged and we shouldn't start 5,000 threads on the same topic, but it will pass.  I almost always try to have something to say when I post, but there have been moments where things like the "TTTWD" allowed me to laugh through my emotionally drained exhaustion with some silly comments.  

There is some stupid stuff that is going on that people need to chill on, but some of the goofiness is just a comic break from the emotionally tense nature of this coaching search.  Once a new coach has been hired and a few days have passed, everything will calm down.  We'll all get through this.
Good Grief that thread was annoying when you come here for information and all you get is wow look how big this thread is kind of stuff

PorkButt

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on December 05, 2007, 09:45:46 am

Is that the way most feel about new folks here Mark?  If it is, ban me.  I got on here because I'm an Arkansas fan.  This (the attitude about new guys) is the thing that really ticks me off about some of the posters out there.  Maybe you should just close the door on all new folks.  Then you can become just an inbred Gus worshiping cult.

McDuck

Quote from: PorkButt on December 05, 2007, 10:42:06 am
Is that the way most feel about new folks here Mark?  If it is, ban me.  I got on here because I'm an Arkansas fan.  This (the attitude about new guys) is the thing that really ticks me off about some of the posters out there.  Maybe you should just close the door on all new folks.  Then you can become just an inbred Gus worshiping cult.

I love gus but well said.
IF YOU HEAR THE QUACK IT'S TOO LATE!

granny grunt

Nobody is trying to ban a Razorback fan,  but where have you been for the last fourteen months?    Why are you just now finding something worth talking about?
Just wondered!!!!!

razorbass

December 05, 2007, 10:46:22 am #42 Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 10:50:04 am by razorbass
Is that the way most feel about new folks here Mark?  If it is, ban me.  I got on here because I'm an Arkansas fan.  This (the attitude about new guys) is the thing that really ticks me off about some of the posters out there.  Maybe you should just close the door on all new folks.  Then you can become just an inbred Gus worshiping cult

I agree every one has to start with there first post :o

smokedham

I was one of those who joined during the rush early this year. I choose to "read more, post less" so my post count isn't high. I don't have any inside sources except for the voices in my head. I really appreciate the mods attempt to clean up the garbage that's been thrown out over the past few weeks.

barbourman2

Quote from: memphishog on December 05, 2007, 09:55:42 am
it doesn't help that we have nothing specific to talk about. the search dragging out is leading to all 31k with their opinions to share. when this mess ends it will be back to normal.

Well said...

McDuck

Quote from: granny grunt on December 05, 2007, 10:45:48 am
Nobody is trying to ban a Razorback fan,  but where have you been for the last fourteen months?    Why are you just now finding something worth talking about?
Just wondered!!!!!

What in the hell does that mean?
Do you have to be a member for 14 months to have an opinion.  
IF YOU HEAR THE QUACK IT'S TOO LATE!

qhhog

Please don't judge us all by what a majority seem to be doing.  I understand your concerns and agree that they are well founded.  I joined this board last night and was dumbfouded by what I saw.  I was expecting three or four rational threads with spirited discussion.  I found what I was looking for, but I had to wade through miles of BS, which being new and unfamiliar was a chore in it's self.   I can say that there have been 600 new members since I verified my account and that was at 4pm yesterday.  Unbelievable.  How many of these(us) new members are here just to spread BS and kill time?  A lot I think.
If you always think what you've always thought, you'll always say what you've always said.  If you always say what you always said you'll always do what you've always done.  If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got. Time for a change.  Change=BP WPS GHG

HotGrits

December 05, 2007, 10:50:34 am #47 Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 10:52:30 am by HotGrits
Quote from: McDuck on December 05, 2007, 10:47:54 am
What in the hell does that mean?
Do you have to be a member for 14 months to have an opinion.  

+1 Go get'em Mcduck. I thought this board was for hog fans to discuss the hogs not to pick on each other about how many posts you have or how long you've been a member!
I\'m just a clever visual metaphor that personafies the concept of abstract thought.

pfrg999

Mark in Memphis is the wrong person to ask that question .... ;)

BradyHolzhauer

Yeah the board is looking much less cluttered with the coaching search forum up.
Great idea, Lanny.
I get withdrawls when HV goes down, haha...
-B