Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buyout set at $11.935m

Started by ricepig, January 30, 2018, 04:29:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 30, 2018, 07:54:10 pm
and this one didn't work out for either side.

Financial compensation aside, he is going to be knocked down a few rungs.

Maybe so but coaches, managers, executives, etc. make decisions all the time for their career that don't work out. I know I've had that happen to me. To say "to be fair" isn't something to consider when he is getting such a huge buyout.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 30, 2018, 06:12:49 pm
that is kind of the point.  getting him to make a jump from his secure spot in Wisc to an unsecure spot in Arkansas required making him financially secure.

But no spot in coaching is secure. Security in coaching is defined by how many games you win with a little bit of not getting in trouble mixed in.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Smalltownhog95 on January 31, 2018, 02:33:01 am
To think his legacy at Arkansas will be firing Petrino, hiring Bielema, and Pepsi. Surprised a few of you let him leave alive....

Pepsi is/was a University contract, not an athletic department contract.

I Am Smart

To think his legacy at Arkansas will be firing Petrino, hiring Bielema, and Pepsi. Surprised a few of you let him leave alive....

Firing Petrino: His hands were tied because of Petrino's actions. It had to be done.

Hiring Bert: Not one person at the time said the hire was anything but a Home Run.(Unexpected but still a home run)

Pepsi: he literally had nothing to do with that...

"Stupid is as stupid does" - Forrest Gump

Busta_Nutt

What would you have done differently? We're all waiting.

RME

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on January 31, 2018, 09:02:44 am
What would you have done differently? We're all waiting.

He said
His greatest contribution
Is the ones
You leave behind
Raised on the ways
And gentle kindness
Of a SmalltownHog95

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 30, 2018, 06:52:44 pm
Dude is NOT a good coach.. I'd be willing to bet that he's either severely concussed from his playing days or darned near retarded. Geez some people.

Now you find Coastal or how about Toledo ? Brett is retarded or concussed. Had no business taking this job. Should have been fired at the end of season one. Too many supporters from his "friends"
You are the hardcorehoggy of MMQB.  You realize that everybody who disagrees with you isn't stupid or retarded, right?

hawgon

UA counsel admits what some of us have been saying on here for a bit:

Quote"The original agreements were drafted by two different parties, and any discrepancy between the two was ultimately negotiated by the Foundation," University of Arkansas System spokesman Nate Hinkel said. "Ultimately you'd like to have matching documents when the terms of their content are being executed, but in this case there was a question about which one was in play and it was negotiated by the appropriate party."

Then of course, it is also revealed in the article that Bert had the Foundation by the shorthairs and the only reason Bert agreed to less than the full $15.4 million was because we did away with his contractual obligation to mitigate and offset the buyout against future earnings.  That "offset" is already cooked into this lower buyout.

QuoteRazorback Foundation Executive Director Scott Varady said in a printed statement that Bielema's representatives "cooperated in developing the necessary mechanisms" to calculate Bielema's buyout, which will be paid in monthly installments. The two sides also worked together on the language to lessen the sum based on the coach's future earnings.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on January 31, 2018, 09:38:12 am
UA counsel admits what some of us have been saying on here for a bit:

Then of course, it is also revealed in the article that Bert had the Foundation by the shorthairs and the only reason Bert agreed to less than the full $15.4 million was because we did away with his contractual obligation to mitigate and offset the buyout against future earnings.  That "offset" is already cooked into this lower buyout.

He still has any future earning offset from the Foundation's payments, after the various excluded amounts per year.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/bielemabuyout/

hawgon

Quote from: ricepig on January 31, 2018, 09:45:15 am
He still has any future earning offset from the Foundation's payments, after the various excluded amounts per year.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/bielemabuyout/

No, you are one hundred percent wrong.  Varady's statement tells us that.  And, no there is no need to post the contract.  They've negotiated a different amount.  It is now a new agreement.  They can agree to anything they want.

I fully expect you to return and tell us how you are wrong once Bielema takes another job and the Foundation financial statement shows the monthly buyout at the same number.

Okay, I see that you posted the new agreement and it still has that in it.  Mea culpa.  I thought you were putting up the old contract.

hawgon

It will be interesting to see if Bielema includes those NFL offers he claimed to have already received in the report that he is required to submit to the Foundation every six months.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on January 31, 2018, 09:49:04 am
No, you are one hundred percent wrong.  Varady's statement tells us that.  And, no there is no need to post the contract.  They've negotiated a different amount.  It is now a new agreement.  They can agree to anything they want.

I fully expect you to return and tell us how you are wrong once Bielema takes another job and the Foundation financial statement shows the monthly buyout at the same number.

Okay, I see that you posted the new agreement and it still has that in it.  Mea culpa.  I thought you were putting up the old contract.

You must have worked for the RF when doing the 2015 contract, running your mouth instead of reading it......

hawgon

Quote from: ricepig on January 31, 2018, 10:04:26 am
You must have worked for the RF when doing the 2015 contract, running your mouth instead of reading it......

Touché.  The new agreement is actually quite specific as to what mitigation actually means.  Much better than the old.

And I'll gurandamntee you that Bert's attorneys and agent cringed and chewed his ass good when they read his quotes about waiting for the perfect situation and having already turned down NFL jobs. 

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on January 31, 2018, 10:06:50 am
Touché.  The new agreement is actually quite specific as to what mitigation actually means.  Much better than the old.

And I'll gurandamntee you that Bert's attorneys and agent cringed and chewed his ass good when they read his quotes about waiting for the perfect situation and having already turned down NFL jobs. 

Hopefully he gets some job that makes more than $150k a year, or at least turns them down.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 30, 2018, 05:24:43 pm
to be fair, he risked his career coming here, and lost.  His career basically over.

He will land some where rebuild his rep and get back into the big 10.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on January 31, 2018, 10:04:26 am

It's what he does - you won't win an argument w him.

He will just redirect
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hawgon

Quote from: twistitup on January 31, 2018, 11:39:10 am
It's what he does - you won't win an argument w him.

He will just redirect

Except in his case I said "Touché" which acknowledged that he was right, because unlike you EVER, he was.

twistitup

Quote from: hawgon on January 31, 2018, 11:44:03 am
Except in his case I said "Touché" which acknowledged that he was right, because unlike you EVER, he was.

EVER is a strong word...
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hawgon

hogcards

Anyone still think Jeff Long was a competent and honorable human being?

"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

RME

Quote from: hogcards on January 31, 2018, 12:01:14 pm

Anyone think Jeff Long was the sole actor in the extension and buyout?

hogcards

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 31, 2018, 12:05:44 pm
Anyone think Jeff Long was the sole actor in the extension and buyout?

Other than the morons that agreed to it, he's the main conspirator.

He should be tarred, feathered and never allowed near a university as long as he lives.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

RME

Quote from: hogcards on January 31, 2018, 12:09:52 pm

He should be tarred, feathered and never allowed near a university as long as he lives.

Link?

NuttinItUp

Wow, BB was so svelt back then.

hogcards

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

I Am Smart

That is pure hearsay

Hogblog

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 30, 2018, 05:24:43 pm
to be fair, he risked his career coming here, and lost.  His career basically over.

as it should be....

RME

Quote from: hogcards on January 31, 2018, 02:08:50 pm
What do want a link to?

Information or an article explicitly saying Jeff Long was, in your words, "the main conspirator."

hogcards

Quote from: I Am Smart on January 31, 2018, 02:10:56 pm
That is pure hearsay

No it's not.  Are you honestly claiming this clown (Long) didn't know of his buyout?

It was negotiated through the foundation without his knowledge?

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

hogcards

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 31, 2018, 02:17:45 pm
Information or an article explicitly saying Jeff Long was, in your words, "the main conspirator."

What do you believe is encompassed within an athletic director's job description?

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

I Am Smart

Quote from: hogcards on January 31, 2018, 02:18:47 pm
No it's not.  Are you honestly claiming this clown (Long) didn't know of his buyout?

No, he obviously knew of it but anyone that believes he went about formulating the extension and buyout figures on his own is delusional.

Also, to make an attack on a person and claim they deserve to be "tarred and feathered" is pretty harsh given most people thought the extension was a good move at the time.

Jim Harris

"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

RME

Quote from: hogcards on January 31, 2018, 02:19:46 pm
What do you believe is encompassed within an athletic director's job description?

Stop deflecting and avoiding. I asked for proof that Jeff Long was "the main conspirator."

steveaustin69

Yes

steveaustin69

Quote from: hogcards on January 31, 2018, 02:18:47 pm

The boogeyman is not real.

Razorbackers

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 31, 2018, 02:26:34 pm
Stop deflecting and avoiding. I asked for proof that Jeff Long was "the main conspirator."

Didn't you know? Long writes every contract and then approves the contracts he writes! That's how it works!

I Am Smart

Quote from: Razorbackers on January 31, 2018, 02:41:05 pm
Didn't you know? Long writes every contract and then approves the contracts he writes! That's how it works!

All makes sense now!

I Am Smart, don't agree that you are.  Most Hog fans were surprised by the Bielema hire and many were just like me, not thrilled with the hire.  I ended up surprised at how bad it turned out but I thought he would average 7, maybe 8 wins here and he didn't.  I listened to the horse crap flooding Hogville about the wonderful hire, the greatest group of assistants ever at Arkansas and maybe even the greatest group in all of college football by any team, ever.

I watched a 6 win team get 3 wins the first year and than watched an 8 or maybe 9 win team get 7 in the 2nd year and I had better hopes, but never the high hopes.

The problem with giving Bret an extension and raise for year 3 was that he was already paid well for the position he was in and the gamesmanship he showed.  I encourage you to remember that when Long fired Bielema, he was the toast of college football.  Of course, 90 percent of all D1 ADs wouldn't have done that but none could go public and say that.  So they toasted Long and our Administrators bought in hook, line and sinker as they surely couldn't afford to rule against such a great man of integrity and forward thinking.  So, what appears to me to be a mistake by a person who was being paid to not make that kind of mistake ended up being expensive. 

ricepig

Quote from: 12247 on January 31, 2018, 04:04:02 pm
I Am Smart, don't agree that you are.  Most Hog fans were surprised by the Bielema hire and many were just like me, not thrilled with the hire.  I ended up surprised at how bad it turned out but I thought he would average 7, maybe 8 wins here and he didn't.  I listened to the horse crap flooding Hogville about the wonderful hire, the greatest group of assistants ever at Arkansas and maybe even the greatest group in all of college football by any team, ever.

I watched a 6 win team get 3 wins the first year and than watched an 8 or maybe 9 win team get 7 in the 2nd year and I had better hopes, but never the high hopes.

The problem with giving Bret an extension and raise for year 3 was that he was already paid well for the position he was in and the gamesmanship he showed.  I encourage you to remember that when Long fired Bielema, he was the toast of college football.  Of course, 90 percent of all D1 ADs wouldn't have done that but none could go public and say that.  So they toasted Long and our Administrators bought in hook, line and sinker as they surely couldn't afford to rule against such a great man of integrity and forward thinking.  So, what appears to me to be a mistake by a person who was being paid to not make that kind of mistake ended up being expensive. 

Long didn't fire Bielema.

RME

I Am Smart, don't agree that you are. Most Hog fans were surprised by the Bielema hire and many were just like me, not thrilled with the hire.  I ended up surprised at how bad it turned out but I thought he would average 7, maybe 8 wins here and he didn't.  I listened to the horse crap flooding Hogville about the wonderful hire, the greatest group of assistants ever at Arkansas and maybe even the greatest group in all of college football by any team, ever.

Well. That's pretty funny.

Inhogswetrust

steveaustin69

When who did what?

I Am Smart

I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I am aware of the fact the Long was fired before Bert was.

HognitiveDissonance

It's easy to pile on Jeff Long for the 2014 extension, and rightfully so. Won't get any argument from me. He made that decision, and it turned out to be wrong.

However, I would point out he wasn't the only one thinking like that in 2014. After the 17-0 shutout of LSU and 30-0 shutout of Ole Miss, and then 31-7 over Texas to end the year, some national pundits were writing that Arkansas was a team on the rise. Matt Hayes of The Sporting News wrote a fawning column around that time. The gyst of it was 'Look out SEC West...Arkansas is coming. Bielema is building something'. At the time, I was proud and soaking it up but at the same time thinking to myself 'right, I'm sure Alabama is quaking in their boots right now, c'mon'

Haters gonna hate

Pay him then erase his existence. Sick of hearing about that bloated turd.

hogcards

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

I Am Smart

RME

Quote from: hogcards on February 01, 2018, 07:43:06 am
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Long_(athletic_director)

Still failing to see definitive proof where Long was "the main conspirator." Without editing the Wikipedia page that you linked, can you show me where I'm missing the language that says he was "the main conspirator?"

You're pretty bad at backing up an argument. You should try not doing that anymore.

steveaustin69

Razorbackers