Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Apparently Morris is not big on JUCO

Started by nwahogfan1, December 13, 2017, 08:57:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogfan1

Players for a quick patch.  I don't see much effort to keep the ones who committed or to seek out any new ones.

cardinalandwhite

A coach in his sixth year coaching for his job needs immediate help. A coach in his first season installing a new system needs to make sure that those recruits actually fit his system, then he  needs yo decide if he needs them enough to offer or can afford to play a young fella and take his lumps early. Totally different scenarios.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

hogmolar

This system is not a plug and play type system.  If you are going to spend the time teaching it, might as well be to a young freshman with potential to stay 4 years. 

Hugo Bezdek

He's never going to have more patience from the fans than his first year. He may decide to just recruit 4-year guys and let them get the experience.

jackflash

Maybe not but I look for him to try and kept Banks and Gooden

IMABIELEMA

Quote from: hogmolar on December 13, 2017, 09:20:12 am
This system is not a plug and play type system.  If you are going to spend the time teaching it, might as well be to a young freshman with potential to stay 4 years.
That's a false narrative in football.  There might be some positions that are harder than others, but football is a pretty simplistic sport at most positions. OL & QB might have an argument.  You can plug and play at WR, RB, Safety, DB, and the DL pretty damn easy.  It isn't rocket science.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: IMABIELEMA on December 13, 2017, 11:11:00 am
That's a false narrative in football.  There might be some positions that are harder than others, but football is a pretty simplistic sport at most positions. OL & QB might have an argument.  You can plug and play at WR, RB, Safety, DB, and the DL pretty damn easy.  It isn't rocket science.

So if it's so easy to "plug and play" at those positions, why did Bert's Juco signees mostly whiff?

TQ Coleman S, Britto Tutt DB, Michael Taylor DE, Brandon Martin WR and others, almost all of his signees at those positions had little to no impact their first year in the program and most didn't have an impact at all..

Maybe he couldn't evaluate talent good enough? What?
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Tusks

Quote from: SooieGeneris on December 13, 2017, 11:31:00 am
So if it's so easy to "plug and play" at those positions, why did Bert's Juco signees mostly whiff?

TQ Coleman S, Britto Tutt DB, Michael Taylor DE, Brandon Martin WR and others, almost all of his signees at those positions had little to no impact their first year in the program and most didn't have an impact at all..

Have u seen B.B. record ?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Hog Waller

I believe our past JUCO recruiting as contributed to our depth problems.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: SooieGeneris on December 13, 2017, 11:31:00 am

I'm Ok with it. IMO, JUCO's are either a stop gap or used when your school has trouble recruiting fours. Look at BB's mentor Snyder at K. State. Made a career with JUCO, mostly at the QB position.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

ridgehog88

There are a few exceptions, but I would say most Juco signees don't make an immediate impact, regardless of the coach

IronHog

JUCO can help at hard to recruit positions  like linebacker or position groups thinned by greater than usual attrition
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: tusked on December 13, 2017, 11:46:36 am

Have u seen B.B. record ?

Yes, I'm quite familiar with BB's record, that's why I asked the guy with the BB avatar why his Juco signees didn't amount to much after the guy with the BB avatar implied that it was easy to find Juco players at certain positions to make an immediate impact.

And yes, I also noticed that BBs Juco signees at those and other positions usually didn't make an impact their first year, if at all.

I can see filling out the roster with a Juco or two a year to fill in gaps created by players leaving for whatever reason.

IMO, we have relied on them too much all the way back to the Nutt era, sometimes signing 4-5 in a class.

Most of them have only two years to play. If they take until their SR year to play or don't play at all, that scholarship would be better used by a 4 year player as long as they contribute and stay out of trouble.

That's my take.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Wildhog

I'd like to see us keep Banks, but I have no problem  putting less emphasis on jucos in the future.  The bust rate on them is high.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawgon

JUCO guys seem to work better in defense than they do offense.

311Hog

Juco players seem to be better in year 2.  while the game on the field may not be plug and play i can promise you the class room is much harder on the Hill than any JUCO.  I would bet some of the "whiffs" above if they buy in and stay will contribute next year.

King Kong

Quote from: jackflash on December 13, 2017, 09:30:41 am

I'm afraid of what this defense may look like without Gooden. Dline depth is so bad

imtad16

Quote from: jackflash on December 13, 2017, 09:30:41 am

Quote from: Wildhog on December 13, 2017, 12:30:35 pm
I'd like to see us keep Banks, but I have no problem  putting less emphasis on jucos in the future.  The bust rate on them is high.

Yes. I would be pleased with mixing Gooden and Banks in with the rest of the class being high school prospects.