Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Impact of the New Ball is In

Started by ucahogfan, July 18, 2015, 08:42:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

Razorback Baseball ‏@RazorbackBSB  · 1h1 hour ago 

Razorback Baseball retweeted NCAA Baseball
Home runs were up 44 percent??? #BennyBaseball was responsible for  just like half of that. #BennyBomb ⚾️💣

LAHOG1962

Home runs are back in college baseball in a big way. Coach Van Horn has power coming into the program at the right time. I have read this forum for years but never posted. I just wanted to tell UCA what a great job he does providing accurate information about the hogs.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

I like the way the numbers turned out. There was not a big difference in runs scored, but the chance to make a late inning come back with a homer is back.

Will be interesting to see what the next change brings.

pigture perfect

Can't hardly wait for next year. Proud of our CWS team.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

LAHOG1962

Thanks, I really enjoy reading you guys opinions and ideas on extra innings. Go HOGS!

RazrRila99

Going into the season, was one of the concerns that pitchers were going to have considerably less control of the ball?  Wouldnt these numbers go to show that its fairly well more balanced now?  Im not a baseball person like I am football, but am a numbers guy.

jesterzzn

Well, I already don't like the metrics in the "report" since they wieghted pitching stats per 9 innings, but weighted batting stats per game.  Might be a minor quibble, but whatever.

Here's the thing to me, 44% rise in HR but only a 1.5% rise in BA along with a 7% rise in Runs overall means that slugging was relatively unchanged overall except for HRs.  Which to me could just mean there was more HR power across the nation as apposed to last year.  If the ball itself was that big of a difference we should see slugging rise across the board not just in 4B hits.  Meaning there should be more doubles, more triples, and more Runs.

I say give things another couple years and lets get a good sample size.  I have always said that bat speed and ball elasticity are the two most important factors in extra base hits, and the science backs that up.  HRs especially are most reliant on bat speed.  I know this is PR, and I know its good for ticket sales, I just hope the NCAA isn't setting itself up for a major letdown next year.