Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Player development thread

Started by ricepig, June 20, 2015, 08:52:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

June 20, 2015, 08:52:38 am Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 04:21:02 pm by sir-pigs-a-lot
Quote from: flippinhogmana on June 20, 2015, 08:43:25 am
I also noticed that Hogan and Campbell were both recruiting from the same community college.  One would assume from that, both didnt play the same position.  If Hogan was playing 2nd, then Campbell was ss or 3rd?  Either way I see Nomura staying at 2nd.  He played 3rd a few games last year, but he was no Wernes.  I wonder if Bernal with the stronger arm might not work better there and Campbell, Nomura and Hogan working the other two spots with one backing up Bernal?  or not?

On the other hand I hate to mess with success.  You could leave ss and 2nd exactly how the year end and let Campbell, Hogan and Gassaway contend for 3rd, let Spanberger, Gassaway, Bonfield and Silky contend for 1b, LF and DH?  That would give you a contest between Shaddy, Beninghoff, Eagan and Simms for the right and center.

One thing to keep in mind, only Spanberger, Hogan, Eagan and Simms give you a left hand bat, so some platooning might also be in order.  You also have Nomura who is a switch hitter to factor in that equation as well.

Bernal is staying in Fayetteville and working on his flexibility this summer, good move.

Dr. Starcs

Can he work on his bunting and not grounding into double plays too?

Sorry, I'm still a little feisty from Omaha. :/

flippinhogmana

agreed.  Do you know if he is open to third?  I wouldnt screw with him, but as far as I know he has the strongest arm and doesnt have great range.  Like I also said, I hate to mess with success.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 20, 2015, 08:54:45 am

I laughed, but it is a serious point, especially the bunting.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Dr. Starcs

Lol, the kid was trying as hard as he could, but you would've swore he had money on the game. I was fully expecting dvh to just pull him back to the dugout at one point and give the other team the out.

Toughest world series I've seen from a player on any team.

ricepig

Truthfully, he needs to change his swing, but I figure it's too late for that. It looks too much like my old man golf swing.

jry04

Without Bernal, we may not make it to Omaha in the first place. Had some great at bats in the post season. Like his RBI hit against OSU, and his 2 hits against SJU.

Quote from: ricepig on June 20, 2015, 08:59:31 am
Truthfully, he needs to change his swing, but I figure it's too late for that. It looks too much like my old man golf swing.
Odd, because during our games when Kyle Peterson, who knows a lot about baseball, he loved Bernal's swing. As long as he has been on campus, if there was something wrong with his swing I would assume the coaches would have already addressed it, much like they did with Benintendi after just one season.

ricepig

Quote from: jry04 on June 20, 2015, 11:33:54 am
Without Bernal, we may not make it to Omaha in the first place. Had some great at bats in the post season. Like his RBI hit against OSU, and his 2 hits against SJU.

Odd, because during our games when Kyle Peterson, who knows a lot about baseball, he loved Bernal's swing. As long as he has been on campus, if there was something wrong with his swing I would assume the coaches would have already addressed it, much like they did with Benintendi after just one season.

Nah, sometimes you just go with what they've got. The reason he has so much problem with the curve/off speed pitch is because he has full extension to early.

bulldog04

Quote from: ricepig on June 20, 2015, 11:58:49 am
Nah, sometimes you just go with what they've got. The reason he has so much problem with the curve/off speed pitch is because he has full extension to early.
Exactly and that's why he hits a lot of long foul balls