Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Max Hogan Cleared

Started by MDW, June 19, 2015, 04:01:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MDW

Max sent out a tweet this afternoon that says he has finally been cleared, which I assume means he can return to baseball after the long delay of dealing with the effects of a concussion.  I think that's great news since the coaches seemed pretty high on his potential.

knoxvillehog

Can Max play some IF or is he an OF primarily? I can't remember what he sued before he was injured.

ricepig

Quote from: knoxvillehog on June 19, 2015, 05:16:22 pm
Can Max play some IF or is he an OF primarily? I can't remember what he sued before he was injured.

I was thinking he was in the running for 2B before he took the knee to the head sliding in practice.

jry04

Huge news. DVH sees a lot of potential in him, and he had some meaningful at bats early, and was able to draw some walks in them.

flippinhogmana

June 19, 2015, 05:55:35 pm #4 Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 09:07:12 pm by flippinhogmana
Quote from: jry04 on June 19, 2015, 05:31:59 pm
Huge news. DVH sees a lot of potential in him, and he had some meaningful at bats early, and was able to draw some walks in them.

BA  gp-gs  ab  runs hits 2bs 3b hr rbi tb  bb  hp so gdp   ob%
Max Hogan .091 14-6   22   4     2     0   0   0   0 2    10  0   5    1   .375

You are right there is a lot of difference between his ba (.091) and his on base % (.375) because of the walks.  That does reflect desire and a drive to contribute by any means necessary.  He also had one error in six chances which isnt a very good fielding percentage but that is a very small sample to try and project anything from, as is only two hits but with no extra base hits.  Again a very small sample but he also had more strike outs that hits (5 - 2).  Mr. Hogan is very much an open question right now but he does have a year under his belt and perhaps a little extra motivation.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Big Nasty 34

Well, we need some competition for that 4th infield spot. Glad he's healthy!

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: ricepig on June 19, 2015, 05:18:58 pm
I was thinking he was in the running for 2B before he took the knee to the head sliding in practice.
Your thinking is correct, in fact DVH commented after the opening weekend that Hogan would have started had he not been injured. We had a huge log jam at ss and 2b with Hogan, Campbell, Bernal, McAfee and Nomura. We even had conversations about Serrano, Spoon and Wernes playing 2b before the season started, but DVH commented a week before the season started that Hogan's bat needed to be in the lineup and he was solid as a defender.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on June 20, 2015, 12:15:13 am
Your thinking is correct, in fact DVH commented after the opening weekend that Hogan would have started had he not been injured. We had a huge log jam at ss and 2b with Hogan, Campbell, Bernal, McAfee and Nomura. We even had conversations about Serrano, Spoon and Wernes playing 2b before the season started, but DVH commented a week before the season started that Hogan's bat needed to be in the lineup and he was solid as a defender.

Hogan is fairly chunky (5-11, 195 as opposed to Campbell 6-0, 180) that usually fits better at 3rd than at 2nd.  Do you know if Hogan has the arm for 3rd?
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

SPAL

Is he a real American? Does he fight for the rights of the very man?

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on June 20, 2015, 09:03:27 am
Hogan is fairly chunky (5-11, 195 as opposed to Campbell 6-0, 180) that usually fits better at 3rd than at 2nd.  Do you know if Hogan has the arm for 3rd?
Since when did 5'11 195 become chunky?
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

flippinhogmana

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on June 20, 2015, 02:59:38 pm
Since when did 5'11 195 become chunky?

Use whatever adjective you want, it wasn't disparaging.  I was simply comparing him to Campbell who was taller and thinner, lighter (as I said 6-0, 180), which would tend to lend to range.  Shortstop generally needs the most range, followed by second base, 3rd would tend to need a little less.  My main question since we have an opening with the signing of Wernes, could he be a decent fillin at 3rd, particularly does he have the arm strength.  That position has to have more arm strength than 2nd.

Mike Irwin

We came across some video of him taking reps at 3rd in practice before the concussion. BTW he doesn't look chunky in the video.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 22, 2015, 07:15:28 am
We came across some video of him taking reps at 3rd in practice before the concussion. BTW he doesn't look chunky in the video.

Good to hear...but Again, huskier, brawnier, buffer, any would do...