Previous topic - Next topic

SPAL

Bonfield 0-2 with a K. Average drops to .261

SPAL

Rough night for Gosser....

1-6 at the plate, 2 passed balls.

jry04

Quote from: mrp on June 30, 2015, 01:04:39 am
Believe it or not .261 is not a bad average in the Cape league.
We have had plenty of guys go off to the Cape and do poorly, and then have a breakout year the next season. Hopefully that is the case with Bonfield. Just getting the ABs will be beneficial for him. Then he can come get more coaching from Vitello and the rest of the staff, and be ready for a big 2016.

SPAL

In an expected move, Zach Jackson has been cut from Team USA.

onebadrubi

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 30, 2015, 12:25:16 pm
In an expected move, Zach Jackson has been cut from Team USA.

ANy idea why? Is this lack of performing?

SPAL

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 30, 2015, 12:32:29 pm
ANy idea why? Is this lack of performing?

Didn't get many chances. Had trouble locating his pitches when he did. There were times they could have given him a chance but didn't.

Not sure if he plans to shut it down for the summer or head to the cape.

onebadrubi

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 30, 2015, 12:54:56 pm
Didn't get many chances. Had trouble locating his pitches when he did. There were times they could have given him a chance but didn't.

Not sure if he plans to shut it down for the summer or head to the cape.

I'm not sure I wouldn't mind him getting some rest.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 30, 2015, 01:30:02 pm
I'm not sure I wouldn't mind him getting some rest.

To me we are blessed that he got cut for onebad's reasons.  I think he's got enough work, now to rest and fall, and spring ball. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

SPAL

benninghoff 1-3. Batting .308 on the season

SPAL

Spanberger 1-3 with 2 runs scored

SPAL

Ty Harris 3 2/3 IP 0 runs on 4 hits, 4 walks, struck out 6

SPAL

simms continues his hitting streak....

2-5 with an RBI and a run scored. His batting average is now .300

over his last 6 games, he is batting .429 with 3RBIs, 9 runs scored, and 0 strikeouts

Big Nasty 34

Is Jackson still with team USA? He tweeted like he was a part of the no no today.

SPAL

He didn't make the final roster.

SPAL

Darien Simms has his hit streak come to an end but was still productive...

0-3 a BB and 2 Rbis

SPAL

Benninghoff was 1-3 with a BB from the leadoff spot. Was the DH tonight. Now at .313

jry04

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 02, 2015, 12:48:51 am
He didn't make the final roster.
I saw that he didn't, but his tweet yesterday was odd for someone who was cut.

Zach Jackson ‏@ZachJackson32  · 11h11 hours ago 
Proud to be part of the staff that just NO-HIT Cuba!!! What a game! #USA

SPAL

Quote from: jry04 on July 02, 2015, 07:29:26 am
I saw that he didn't, but his tweet yesterday was odd for someone who was cut.

Zach Jackson ‏@ZachJackson32  · 11h11 hours ago 
Proud to be part of the staff that just NO-HIT Cuba!!! What a game! #USA

I saw that and it is puzzling.
I will try to find out more. 

jry04

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 02, 2015, 08:16:13 am
I saw that and it is puzzling.
I will try to find out more. 
He may have just meant he was a part of it at one time, but the way it is worded it sounded like he was a part of it at the time.

SPAL

Sort of like EI posters saying..."we made it to the college world series" perhaps?

SPAL

jry04

July 02, 2015, 09:57:27 am #121 Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 10:08:34 am by jry04
So he wasn't cut?

Edit:

Just looked, and he wasn't cut. It appears that Baseball America tweeted out some bad info regarding him being cut. They also said Matt Thaiss of UVA was cut, and he is still on the team and playing. Here is their final roster:

http://web.usabaseball.com/collegiate_national_team.jsp

SPAL

This is the article of the final roster  that I used when updating this thread to say he was cut. According to this, he wasn't listed among the 26. However, after counting the names listed, there are only 25. I didn't actually count the names and I doubt Baseball America did either. So we both reached the same conclusion; he didn't make the final roster.

So it appears his name was simply left off by accident and he is, in fact, still on the team.

I apologize for the  error.

jry04

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 02, 2015, 10:26:00 am
This is the article of the final roster  that I used when updating this thread to say he was cut. According to this, he wasn't listed among the 26. However, after counting the names listed, there are only 25. I didn't actually count the names and I doubt Baseball America did either. So we both reached the same conclusion; he didn't make the final roster.

So it appears his name was simply left off by accident and he is, in fact, still on the team.

I apologize for the  error.
No big deal. I wasn't blaming you. I don't see Matt Thaiss on that list either, unless I am overlooking it. The tweet I saw was saying Jackson, Thaiss, and a few others were cut. Thaiss is still on, though.

SPAL

Quote from: jry04 on July 02, 2015, 10:35:14 am
No big deal. I wasn't blaming you. I don't see Matt Thaiss on that list either, unless I am overlooking it. The tweet I saw was saying Jackson, Thaiss, and a few others were cut. Thaiss is still on, though.

I know you weren't but I feel responsible for bringing misinformation to the board regarding Jackson.

I'm glad to be wrong, however.

jry04

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 02, 2015, 10:43:39 am
I know you weren't but I feel responsible for bringing misinformation to the board regarding Jackson.

In a way, I kind of wish you were right. Could be great experience for him, but I kind of wish he could just rest.

ricepig

Quote from: jry04 on July 02, 2015, 10:44:30 am
In a way, I kind of wish you were right. Could be great experience for him, but I kind of wish he could just rest.

Well, with number of quality pitchers they have, I don't see him getting over used.

rolyat_2008

The plan from DVH was for him to pitch for team USA for only 3 or 4 weeks then shut it down.

SPAL

From a fan standpoint, yeah, I want him to rest. But from his standpoint, I want him to get to experience getting to represent TUSA. He has worked hard for things like this.

And like was pointed out....he isn't gonna be overworked. He, he rarely plays.

ucahogfan

USA Baseball CNT ‏@USABaseballCNT  · 48m48 minutes ago 
.@RazorbackBSB star @ZachJackson32 getting loose in RF before @USABaseball and Cuba in Durham.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 02, 2015, 10:43:39 am

you might feel responsible, and you might feel like doing a mea culpa, but you also brought a lot of info that we would have never gotten otherwise.  Its a correctible error, no harm done, sides, it wasnt like I would have been broken hearted if he had been cut.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Sueie

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 02, 2015, 12:53:04 am
Darien Simms has his hit streak come to an end but was still productive...

0-3 a BB and 2 Rbis

HOPEFULLY he is starting in center field this year.

Knot2brite

Quote from: Sueie on July 04, 2015, 12:46:31 pm
HOPEFULLY he is starting in center field this year.

this may be the wrong place to ask and if it is please feel free to move it but I have heard a lot about Simm's speed but how is his arm for centerfield?
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

SPAL

Take from this what you will, but Jack Benninghoff clocked a velo of 92 at a PG showcase last year. Anything above 86 for a corner OF is considered elite.

Simms was clocked at 87 in high school.

I've never seen his arm, but from these numbers, it appears his arm is adequate for CF

jry04

If Simms can keep this up he will start in CF, with Benninghoff in RF. Eagan likely in LF.

ucahogfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 04, 2015, 01:33:47 pm
Take from this what you will, but Jack Benninghoff clocked a velo of 92 at a PG showcase last year. Anything above 86 for a corner OF is considered elite.

Simms was clocked at 87 in high school.

I've never seen his arm, but from these numbers, it appears his arm is adequate for CF
Well, Benninghoff hit 95 at the PG National Showcase in 2013.  His brother hit 92 off the mound earlier this month in the 2015 PG National.  He also has pretty good speed as he runs around a 6.8 in the 60.

Quote from: jry04 on July 04, 2015, 04:07:51 pm
If Simms can keep this up he will start in CF, with Benninghoff in RF. Eagan likely in LF.
I just don't really see it right now.  Our OF looks to be pretty deep again next year with players like Bonfield, Eagan, Shaddy, Benninghoff, and Simms out there.  The TCL has some decent competition, but I would like to see him up in the Northwoods which is better.

Scott7703

Quote from: jry04 on July 04, 2015, 04:07:51 pm

No Bonfield? I find it hard to imagine any lineup next season without him in the outfield.

Kevin

Cannot believe team usa is done already wonder what zach Jackson does now
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

dotnet

jry04

Quote from: Scott7703 on July 04, 2015, 10:37:59 pm
No Bonfield? I find it hard to imagine any lineup next season without him in the outfield.
Bonfield will be in the lineup for his bat. He very well may be an every day OF, but he doesn't have great speed or arm strength right now. If someone else with more speed steps up, then I think Bonfield DHs 2 of the 3 games, playing in the field maybe once a week. I expect Bonfield to be one of our better hitters, and will be too good not to have a spot in the lineup. However, I think we have better defensive OFs. If they cannot hit, then it won't matter, though. I personally think Benninghoff and Eagan are locks for the OF.

Knot2brite

Again I may be posting in the wrong spot but I keep seeing Eagan's name being associated with the OF...:who is going to play first and why would DVH move him the OF when he has said he loves his ability at first
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Big Nasty 34

To get gassaway and or spanburger in the lineup at first.

jry04

Quote from: Knot2brite on July 10, 2015, 10:55:07 am
Again I may be posting in the wrong spot but I keep seeing Eagan's name being associated with the OF...:who is going to play first and why would DVH move him the OF when he has said he loves his ability at first
Eagan in the OF came from DVH himself. There are two things he continues to say this off-season:

Eagan will start the year out in the OF as long as someone can play 1B, and Jackson will be in the starting rotation to start the year.

Eagan played OF 2 years ago, and moved to 1B because he had an arm injury. He is having surgery, or had surgery, on his arm this summer. They expect his arm to be back to full strength. Gassaway and Spanberger have potential to be very good hitters, and they have to play 1B or DH. Moving Eagan allows us to put one of those 2 in the lineup, or possibly both depending on the matchup.

bulldog04

I've been on twitter this morning and apparently Alex Gosser hit a homer last night.  Some of the guys are giving him a hard time all in fun

612hog

anyone have any recent updates on Bonfield? curious how he's looking.  thanks

flippinhogmana

Quote from: 612hog on July 28, 2015, 11:14:49 am
anyone have any recent updates on Bonfield? curious how he's looking.  thanks

Bonfield is playing right field for the Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox.  He has 55 official at bats (minus sacrifice situations such as flies, and bunts, and minus walks) and is hitting .218.  He has 12 hits, but of the twelve 5 are doubles and he has six rbis.  On the other hand his 11 Ks are almost as many as his hits.  He has scored nine runs, and has only committed one error in the field.

612hog

hoofer

Any updates? Haven't seen many Hogs having breakout summers.