Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Realistic replacements for Bielema

Started by Hawgwild15, October 11, 2017, 11:29:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgTide

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 13, 2017, 02:15:56 pm
I agree. Pair him with a good OC, and it might just be the right fit.

Does a name like Greg Schiano still excite anyone? What he did at Rutgers was just incredible.

I liked Schiano a lot more until I just went back and looked at his record. It took him a long time to get Rutgers going and the highs, even while playing in a weak conference, weren't that good. Personally, I would rather take a chance on a young, energetic up and comer like Brohm, Frost, Norvell, Campbell or Frank Wilson. I think Venables is holding out for a big job like Bob Stoops was when he was the DC at Florida. We tried to get him to interview at the UofA before we hired Nutt. He turned us down and got the OU job the following year

fishes2000

Venables with Rhett Lashlee as OC.
Skip Holtz with Eliah Drinkwitz as OC.

Wildhog

Quote from: fishes2000 on October 13, 2017, 05:06:40 pm
Venables with Rhett Lashlee as OC.
Skip Holtz with Eliah Drinkwitz as OC.

Why on earth would we want Lashlee as OC?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: HawgTide on October 13, 2017, 05:03:46 pm
I liked Schiano a lot more until I just went back and looked at his record. It took him a long time to get Rutgers going and the highs, even while playing in a weak conference, weren't that good. Personally, I would rather take a chance on a young, energetic up and comer like Brohm, Frost, Norvell, Campbell or Frank Wilson. I think Venables is holding out for a big job like Bob Stoops was when he was the DC at Florida. We tried to get him to interview at the UofA before we hired Nutt. He turned us down and got the OU job the following year
Venables said he interviewed at Arkansas in 2012, but turned down an opportunity to interview this year with a P5 school.

WilsonHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 13, 2017, 04:59:02 pm
He has been in the NFL.

Difficult to be coaching in 2 levels of football at one time.  :)

You're now either trolling or being intentionally obtuse.

I'd say that in the last 23 years, probably 350 D-I jobs have opened up.

Yet he has gotten none of them.

In fact, I don't remember the last time his name was even mentioned for a job - except by you.

Iwastherein1969

I think getting the Arkansas job would reinvigorate Tommy Tuberville. Don't forget he is an Arkansas boy and would dearly love to get a shot at Saban who is about to peak out and hit the decline. Every dynasty last only for so long. Tuberville would need the best recruiter money could buy and whoever that guy is, one of them would be Randy Shannon, pay them whatever is needed to put talent on that field. We need SPEED. We used to have it. Even more so than the mighty Tide. Put Cole Kelley in the gun and spread the field and I promise you things would change and in a hurry. Kelley has enough speed to run it off of the zone read and the arm to pick a defense apart with running 5 wide receivers...It can be done and done so quite quickly...recruit first, but first get some junior college speed at WR in here and we'd be off and passing next year with Tuberville coaching where he always wanted to be in the first place.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 13, 2017, 05:16:57 pm
You're now either trolling or being intentionally obtuse.

I'd say that in the last 23 years, probably 350 D-I jobs have opened up.

Yet he has gotten none of them.

In fact, I don't remember the last time his name was even mentioned for a job - except by you.

His name was mentioned for a Head Coach job.  Gibbs was in the running for the San Diego Chargers Head Coach job in 2007.

"Now Gibbs is chasing after the Chargers' job. The New Orleansdefensive coordinator was the sixth and possibly last candidate tointerview for the position when he spent nearly five hours at theteam's complex on Sunday."

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-gibbs-fills-chargers-six-pack-2007feb19-story.html

Wildhog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 13, 2017, 05:38:11 pm
His name was mentioned for a Head Coach job.  Gibbs was in the running for the San Diego Chargers Head Coach job in 2007.

"Now Gibbs is chasing after the Chargers' job. The New Orleansdefensive coordinator was the sixth and possibly last candidate tointerview for the position when he spent nearly five hours at theteam's complex on Sunday."

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-gibbs-fills-chargers-six-pack-2007feb19-story.html

You pull up a new article from a decade ago?
1909/1964/1965/1977

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Wildhog on October 13, 2017, 05:39:52 pm
You pull up a new article from a decade ago?

We live in an information age.

Information helps make life better.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: EastArkHog 47 on October 12, 2017, 07:13:16 am
Charlie Strong? Might as well keep Bielema as hire him. Finding someone who wants this dumpster fire that Long has created won't be easy. Norvell, Brohm or Frost might take the job if offered and possibly do well, who knows, only thing for sure is we are at the bottom of the SEC now #14.

Honestly I don't think we have a dumpster fire.  We have a head coach that doesn't know how to coach the recruits he has.  A good coach I believe will win 8 or 9 games with the talent here. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

HogHomer

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 13, 2017, 05:42:27 pm

So he was in demand 10 years ago?

Wildhog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 13, 2017, 05:42:27 pm

Are you just being obtuse?

It's 2017.  If that's the best you can do, then he's not in demand at all.
1909/1964/1965/1977

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Wildhog on October 13, 2017, 05:50:43 pm
Are you just being obtuse?

It's 2017.  If that's the best you can do, then he's not in demand at all.

He is a very good Coach.

If he wasn't, Nick Saban wouldn't have hired him at LSU, Bill Parcells wouldn't have hired him at the Dallas Cowboys, and Andy Reid wouldn't have retained him at the Kansas City Chiefs.

Here is an excellent article about Gibbs.  Gibbs is perhaps the best Defensive Coach to have ever coached at the NCAA level.

http://www.chiefs.com/longreads/2015/garygibbs.html

Wildhog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 13, 2017, 05:56:38 pm
He is a very good Coach.

If he wasn't, Nick Saban wouldn't have hired him at LSU, Bill Parcells wouldn't have hired him at the Dallas Cowboys, and Andy Reid wouldn't have retained him at the Kansas City Chiefs.

Here is an excellent article about Gibbs.  Gibbs is perhaps the best Defensive Coach to have ever coached at the NCAA level.

The last time anyone considered hiring him as a head coach, the first smart phone had just been released.
1909/1964/1965/1977

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

WilsonHog

He is a very good Coach.

Might very well be, but Jack Crowe has a better chance of being our next head football coach than Gibbs does.

thebignasty

Guys, Bear Bryant has only been dead for 34 years. He's an Arkansas boy, proven winner in the SEC.  I bet his moldering remains could get us 3 or 4 years and right the ship.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

HawgTide

He is a very good Coach.

You have issues

GoHogs1091

Quote from: HawgTide on October 13, 2017, 06:48:08 pm
You have issues

What did I say that was incorrect?

When Gibbs was the OU DC, his Sooners defense led the nation in Total Defense for 3 consecutive years.

His 1986 Sooners defense is 1 of only 2 collegiate defenses in NCAA history to have led the nation in all 4 major defensive statistical categories (the other was the 2011 Alabama defense).

His 1986 Sooners defense shutout 5 opponents.

Here is what his 1986 Sooners Defense did to us in the January 1987 Orange Bowl, without their best Defensive player (Bosworth).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_Orange_Bowl

We got 48 total rushing yards against Gibbs' 1986 Sooners defense.

HawgTide

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 13, 2017, 06:59:50 pm

When Gibbs was the OU DC, his Sooners defense led the nation in Total Defense for 3 consecutive years.

His 1986 Sooners defense is 1 of only 2 collegiate defenses in NCAA history to have led the nation in all 4 major defensive statistical categories (the other was the 2011 Alabama defense).

Here is what his 1986 Sooners Defense did to us in the January 1987 Orange Bowl, without their best Defensive player (Bosworth).

Gibbs is perhaps the best Defensive Coach to have ever coached at the NCAA level.

Extraordinary head coach at OU

It can be argued that Gibbs is the most important person in the history of the OU program, even more important than Bud Wilkinson.

Your words

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Wildhog on October 13, 2017, 05:07:22 pm
Why on earth would we want Lashlee as OC?

Yep. Just plan stupid.

I assume Venables would bring Heupel

GoHogs1091

Quote from: HawgTide on October 13, 2017, 07:14:53 pm
Gibbs is perhaps the best Defensive Coach to have ever coached at the NCAA level.

Extraordinary head coach at OU

Your words

Both are correct.

Not very many Head Coaches would have won 64% of games during those years OU was under severe NCAA sanctions.

It was an extraordinary head coaching job done by Gibbs.

TheJoeyBucketz

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 13, 2017, 07:21:07 pm
Both are correct.

Not very many Head Coaches would have won 64% of games during those years OU was under severe NCAA sanctions.

What was better- the job Gibbs did at OU or the job Perry Maxwell did at Southern Hills?
Dominic Fletcher following his homerun against Texas Tech in Omaha, "I thought they said this park was big?!"

HawgTide

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 13, 2017, 07:21:07 pm
Both are correct.

Not seeing it and it looks like no one else did either since he never was a head coach again.

I'm probably going to regret this but give me your top 3 head coaching options for us.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: golf2day on October 13, 2017, 07:30:24 pm
What was better- the job Gibbs did at OU or the job Perry Maxwell did at Southern Hills?

Perry Maxwell at Southern Hills.

Maxwell lived in a tent on site for 2 years while he masterfully created Southern Hills.

Southern Hills is worldwide legendary (has hosted 4 PGA Championships and 3 U.S. Opens).

Quote from: HawgTide on October 13, 2017, 07:32:11 pm

Not seeing it and it looks like no one else did either since he never was a head coach again.

I'm probably going to regret this but give me your top 3 head coaching options for us.

Here is my top 3.

1.  Brent Venables
2.  Steve Campbell   UCA's Head Coach
3.  Chad Morris

I just don't know if any of the 3 are realistic.

Locutus_of_Boar

Here is the field as I see it:

Currently Active Division 1A
At or Less than 60 years old
15 years or less D1 HC experience
Career winning Pct 65% or greater
Current compensation $3M or less

Coach Name   School   Age   Conf.    Compensation    Career Yrs.   CW   CL   CT   CWin %
Lance Leipold   Buffalo   53   MAC    $600,000    11   119-26-0   0.821
Jason Candle   Toledo   38   MAC    $700,000    2   14-5-0   0.736
Bryan Harsin   Boise State   41   MWC    $1,600,000    5   41-16-0   0.719
Chuck Martin   Miami, Ohio   49   MAC    $625,000    10   87-37-0   0.702
Craig Bohl   Wyoming   59   MWC    $1,500,000    15   121-58-0   0.676
Bobby Wilder    Old Dominion   53   CUSA    $700,000    9   69-33-0   0.676
Major Applewhite   Houston   39   AAC    $1,750,000    1   4-2-0   0.667
Mike Norvell   Memphis   36   AAC    $1,900,000    2   12-6-0   0.667
Tim Lester   Western Michigan   40   MAC    $800,000    1   4-2-0   0.667
Matt Viator   La. Monroe   54   SunBelt    $500,000    12   85-43-0   0.664
Ken Niumatalolo   Navy   52   AAC    $2,250,000    11   82-42-0   0.661
Rod Carey   Northern Illinois   46   MAC    $700,000    6   39-21-0   0.65
Mark Hudspeth   Louisiana   49   SunBelt    $1,250,000    14   104-56-0   0.65

thebignasty

Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

hehawg

#LEFTLANE
#HAMMERDOWN!

parallaxpig

We will be competing against maybe --- Florida Tennessee Texas A&M  Nebraska Illinois. Etc etc etc. how do u think we will do. 

noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

rwspear

that was 30 years ago.

ur

Future Head Coach watch for the weekend.

Just watched Clemson with Venables
Now Wash state with Leach
Saturday:
Matt Campbell   Iowa state vs Kansas 11:00 FSN Network
Jeff Brohm        Purdue vs Wiscy        2:30   Big Ten Network
Mike Norvell      Memphis vs Navy      2:45   ESPNU

JaketheSnake

Quote from: thebignasty on October 13, 2017, 06:25:25 pm
Guys, Bear Bryant has only been dead for 34 years. He's an Arkansas boy, proven winner in the SEC.  I bet his moldering remains could get us 3 or 4 years and right the ship.
He doesn't pass enough.

rogersvillemohog

Bring me Dino Babers to Tuscaloosa tomorrow night
Arkansas Football: It's the players running through the A, Hog Hats, and Big Red. It's more than 70,000 fans calling, "WOO PIG SOOIE!"

Arkansas Football: It's the State of Arkansas banding together behind one team, and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are... chosen. They wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks.

Together we stand as tall as the towers of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walk. And our blood flows Razorbacks Red. For 100 years we've been Hogwild and today we continue the tradition.

We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

Pork Twain

October 14, 2017, 03:25:21 am #183 Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 03:53:43 am by Pork Twain
Can anyone explain why they think Les Miles (aka LSU's HDN) could get it done here, when he got fired from LSU for not getting it done with three times the talent he would have here?

Or Gus?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 13, 2017, 12:14:36 pm
Please, do just a little bit of research on Mike Leach and Washington State before making a statement about his overall record there. Here, I'll save you the trouble:

2-11
1-11
2-10
4-8

That's Washington State before he got there. With a roster and program that bad, it takes a full 3 years to rebuild. After a 12-25 start at Washington State, he is now:

9-4
8-5
6-0 (Currently #9 in the Country!)

Anyone who can't see what he did there is ignorant. He would be am excellent hire here.
I agree that he would be a good get but it takes 4-5 years to completely turn over the roster and get all of your players, not three.  That being said, he is ahead of schedule as CBB is behind.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

tophawg19

The wishbone is dead dude . catch up to modern times . GEEEz
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

tophawg19

Quote from: ur on October 13, 2017, 09:53:22 pm
Future Head Coach watch for the weekend.

Just watched Clemson with Venables
Now Wash state with Leach
Saturday:
Matt Campbell   Iowa state vs Kansas 11:00 FSN Network
Jeff Brohm        Purdue vs Wiscy        2:30   Big Ten Network
Mike Norvell      Memphis vs Navy      2:45   ESPNU
3 legit options
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 14, 2017, 04:05:46 am
I agree that he would be a good get but it takes 4-5 years to completely turn over the roster and get all of your players, not three.  That being said, he is ahead of schedule as CBB is behind.

I don't think it would take as long of a turn around with the talent we have here as it has at Washington State.  I doubt he would even have a losing season in the turn around.  Probably be more like taking over Texas Tech than it was taking over Washington State. 

RebelliousHog

Everyone wants an offensive minded coach like Leach, who has never really had a good defense.

I want a defensive minded HC who has sense enough to hire an innovative Offensive coordinator, with like minded assistant coaches. A S&C guy who builds powerful bodies, not 6 pack abs. An OLine coach who can teach running and passing techniques effectively.

A defensive minded HC would make sure he had a D-Co who would have his philosophy and hire, again, like minded assistants.

This would be the 2nd perfect storm (BP being the first).

Venebles, Aranda from LSU, Pruitt from Bama. Brown from Michy. They're out there, and I believe this would be a path to success.

Strong murderous defense with a innovative offense, and a S&C man who knows what he is doing.

"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

David†

Quote from: HenduHog on October 14, 2017, 10:13:33 am
Everyone wants an offensive minded coach like Leach, who has never really had a good defense.

I want a defensive minded HC who has sense enough to hire an innovative Offensive coordinator, with like minded assistant coaches. A S&C guy who builds powerful bodies, not 6 pack abs. An OLine coach who can teach running and passing techniques effectively.

A defensive minded HC would make sure he had a D-Co who would have his philosophy and hire, again, like minded assistants.

This would be the 2nd perfect storm (BP being the first).

Venebles, Aranda from LSU, Pruitt from Bama. Brown from Michy. They're out there, and I believe this would be a path to success.

Strong murderous defense with a innovative offense, and a S&C man who knows what he is doing.

But but but we can't recruit defensive players at lil ol Arkansas. I heard it Bo and hogville...

Backcountryhog

If we can get Chad Morris we'd better take him. It's like getting Bobby P's offensive genius without the BS and bad attitude.
Screw Texas

Kevin

skip holtz really?
no way, no how

we can do better
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

swinemaster

Quote from: Kevin on October 14, 2017, 10:51:17 am
skip holtz really?
no way, no how

we can do better

I really don't think we could get better.  The Arkansas Head Coaching position is a meat grinder

HiggiePiggy

As long as we get a coach that is great at either side of the ball.  I don't care if it is defense or if it is offense. We need someone that has a clue of what is going on the field when we are needing a leader in the second half.   

ur

October 14, 2017, 11:51:56 am #194 Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 12:42:05 pm by ur
 ::hornsdown::

ur

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

LZH

Quote from: BILLYBOB on October 12, 2017, 06:41:50 am
Charles Rene Strong. 58 years old. Current coach of USF Bulls who are 5-0 this season. Knows the SEC. Architect of killer Gamecock and Gator defenses. As Head Coach of Louisville led school to BCS Sugar Bowl win. Outstanding Recruiter with deep connections to fertile Florida and Texas regions. Demands player accountability. You will have your ass in class. Born and raised in Arkansas.

Oh, and Texas still owes him $5 - $7 million. So that subsidizes his salary here, which can be used to pay off CBB.

To me, he and Norvell are odds on faves to be our next Head Hog. Venables is waiting for Dabo to take the Bama gig so he can slide in at Clemson.

I haven't heard much more than a peep, and if Long stays, who knows who we'll end up with. Kenny Spence, my HS OC, why didn't you stay in coaching?!

jfred59

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on October 13, 2017, 07:56:27 pm
Here is the field as I see it:

Currently Active Division 1A
At or Less than 60 years old
15 years or less D1 HC experience
Career winning Pct 65% or greater
Current compensation $3M or less

Coach Name   School   Age   Conf.    Compensation    Career Yrs.   CW   CL   CT   CWin %
Lance Leipold   Buffalo   53   MAC    $600,000    11   119-26-0   0.821
Jason Candle   Toledo   38   MAC    $700,000    2   14-5-0   0.736
Bryan Harsin   Boise State   41   MWC    $1,600,000    5   41-16-0   0.719
Chuck Martin   Miami, Ohio   49   MAC    $625,000    10   87-37-0   0.702
Craig Bohl   Wyoming   59   MWC    $1,500,000    15   121-58-0   0.676
Bobby Wilder    Old Dominion   53   CUSA    $700,000    9   69-33-0   0.676
Major Applewhite   Houston   39   AAC    $1,750,000    1   4-2-0   0.667
Mike Norvell   Memphis   36   AAC    $1,900,000    2   12-6-0   0.667
Tim Lester   Western Michigan   40   MAC    $800,000    1   4-2-0   0.667
Matt Viator   La. Monroe   54   SunBelt    $500,000    12   85-43-0   0.664
Ken Niumatalolo   Navy   52   AAC    $2,250,000    11   82-42-0   0.661
Rod Carey   Northern Illinois   46   MAC    $700,000    6   39-21-0   0.65
Mark Hudspeth   Louisiana   49   SunBelt    $1,250,000    14   104-56-0   0.65

Harsin---no-no-no.  For what its worth the folks in Jonesboro tell you that he is an arrogant prick

ur

Is Memphis a team built by Fuente or are these Norvell's guys. Also, is this offense brought in by Norvell or a continuation of what Fuente did there?