Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New technique for pork...

Started by PorkRinds, January 15, 2016, 08:29:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkRinds

So I found a new technique for making Pork Carnitas, the Mexican version.  You basically braise chunks of pork butt until tender and then crisp them under the broiler at the end.  I got the technique and recipe from a friend of mine whose grandmother makes it.  Real Mexican carnitas are basically fried/braised in lard or pork fat leaving the inside moist and the outside crispy.  This version is much easier, and the results are fantastic.  I looked around and found the closest recipe I could find...

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/pork-carnitas-50131752

Ingredients
•3-4 pounds of boneless pork shoulder (may be called Boston butt) or 4-5lbs of bone-in pork shoulder
•Spice rub
•1 tsp kosher salt
•2 tsp chile powder
•2 tsp cumin
•2 tsp garlic powder
•Braising liquid
•1 cup orange juice
•Water to nearly cover (you'll know how much once in the dutch oven.

Preparation
Heat a dutch oven or other heavy bottomed oven-ready lidded pan over medium high heat with just enough vegetable oil (or lard if you have it) to cover the bottom . Pre-heat oven to 300ºF Cut pork into 1-2" cubes, trimming large sections of fat off (we need fat for the flavor, so just cut off any real large pieces). Toss pork pieces with spice rub. Brown the cubed pork well in the dutch oven, going in batches so there is only one layer of meat at a time. When all the meat is browned, deglaze the pan's bottom with the orange juice, stirring to break up the brown bits. Introduce all of the meat back to the pan and cover with water until it's nearly submerged. Bring to a simmer, cover, and place in the oven. Stir the pot after one and two hours, the pork should be very tender towards the third hour. When you're comfortable with the tenderness, evacuate all the pork to a platter and begin to boil the braising liquid on the stove top. After letting the pork cool for a few minutes work through with your hands to separate and discard any fat or gristle pieces that hadn't melted in the braise. Tear the meat into smaller pieces. Turn your broiler on to high and place a rack towards the top Toss the now shredded pork with all of the reduced braising liquid and spread in a single layer on a sheet pan. The Stock: Reduce at least 50% so it's not watery, should be able to coat a spoon, but not syrup. Add a touch of orange juice to keep it thinned out a bit, but reduce back down. Broil the pork for approximately five minutes per side until the outside begins to carmelize Serve with tortillas or tacos. I like to add rice seasoned with chopped cilantro and a dash of lime juice. Refried black bean seasoned with cumin, chili powder and garlic to taste. Sour cream and some nice jack cheese. ENJOY!

Now the recipe I used had a couple extras.  It had an onion halved, and when you juice the orange you add the spent orange to the cooking liquid.  Also had a couple of bay leaves in it.  Other than that, it's identical.  Guys, this stuff is great.  We served on tortillas (thin corn) with guacamole, black beans, home made Mexican rice, and some lime wedges. 

If you like Mexican food, give it a shot.  It's fantastic.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.