Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beef Jerky

Started by Snoutmaster, January 05, 2016, 02:58:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Snoutmaster

Hey all, I've got an electric smoker w/ an adjustable thermostat and was wondering if anybody had some beef jerky cooking tips.  I've always used a dehydrator and it turns out well, but wanted to see if the smoker brings anything else to the table.  Any advice is welcome and if anybody has any marinades they would be willing to share, it would be appreciated as well

Hog_Swanson

Found this on a google search.  I have personally never tried to smoke jerky, but I would love to know how it turns out.

Ingredients

1-lb meat
½-cup soy sauce
2-tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2-tablespoons honey
1-tablespoon red pepper flakes
2-teaspoon onion powder
2-teaspoons of garlic powder
1-teaspoon black pepper
Instructions

Along the grain of the meat, cut it into 1/4" thick strips. Remove any fat as you slice.
Thoroughly mix all your ingredients and marinate the meat overnight in the fridge.
Preheat your smoker at 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Fill the water pan with water, and add your favorite wood chips.
When your smoker has reached 165 degrees Fahrenheit, add your meat. Either skewer the meat and hang the pieces from a rack, or lay them flat on the racks.
Smoke at 165 degrees Fahrenheit for about 4 -6 hours, or until the meat is firm. If you're not sure if the jerky is done, take a piece and lightly shake it between your fingers. If it's floppy or limp, put it back in the smoker and keep checking.
Notes

Store the jerky in a Ziplock in a cool place. If you've made too much, homemade smoked jerky will usually last about 3 months in the freezer.

When placing the meat in your smoker, a little touching is fine, but don't overlap the meat. Use multiple racks instead of forcing all the pieces of meat onto one rack.

Use mesquite, hickory, pecan or alder wood chips to best complement the meat.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

PorkRinds

Best jerky I've ever had is smoked. And has a ton of black pepper.

Boarcephus

I've been making jerky for years and have always used a combination of soy sauce,liquid smoke, and Fabulosa Fajita Marinate along with minced garlic, crushed red pepper, cayenne pepper and brown sugar.  Mix it all together and dump everything, along with the meat in a gallon size baggie and let it marinate for 3-4 hours. 

Now one thing I've never done is smoke it.  Wonder what a good temp would be?  The only problem I see would be I've got two dehydrators so I can smoke probably 5 pounds of meat at a time but I've got a large BGE and I bet I'd be lucky to get a pound on it at a time. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HogimusMaximus

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.