Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mississippi Mud Roast

Started by BR, December 18, 2015, 10:46:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BR

This stuff is freakin AWESOME

http://www.tablefortwoblog.com/mississippi-roast/

Mississippi Mud Crock Pot Roast

This is the easiest way to fix the most delicious chuck roast!!!

Cook time: 8 Hr Prep time: 15 Min
Ingredients
1or 2 beef chuck roast
1 pkg dry ranch dressing mix
1 pkg mccormick au jus gravy mix
1 stick butter
1 Jar pepperoncini peppers
Directions
1. Place chuck roast in crock Pot
2. Sprinkle Ranch Dressing mix on top followed by Au Jus Gravy Mix.
3. Place butter on top of dry mixes. Place peppers on top of roast. Add NO water!!!! Cook on low for 8 hrs, then enjoy!!!!

I double everything then add a few carrots & onions & Taters
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Guinness Snout

I saw that somewhere the other day and I've been wanting to try it. Let us know how it turns out.

BR

Quote from: Guinness Snout on December 18, 2015, 10:51:39 am
I saw that somewhere the other day and I've been wanting to try it. Let us know how it turns out.
I've made it 5-6 times now.. Love it... Got about 9 pounds of Roast and all the goodies in crock pot now...  Get ya some King Hawaiian Sub Rolls and WOW what a sandwich...  Then your taters and stuff on the side...

BR

PorkRinds

BR, have you ever done the "pepper stout beef" recipe that I posted a while back?  If not, you need to.  I've done this one as well.  It's good, but the pepper stout beef is something special...

BR

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 18, 2015, 11:07:28 am
BR, have you ever done the "pepper stout beef" recipe that I posted a while back?  If not, you need to.  I've done this one as well.  It's good, but the pepper stout beef is something special...
Not yet, but I will... I'm addicted to this stuff.

Hog_Swanson

Do you add all the liquid from the pepperoncini's?  Or drain?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

BR

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on December 21, 2015, 10:15:45 am
Do you add all the liquid from the pepperoncini's?  Or drain?
I use the whole jar.... Everything..

oldman1015

Did this today. It was fantastic.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

husker71

what is the dry stuff on top of the veggies??   do you put the roast in and then the veggies on top then the pickles and butter  then the dry gravy and ranch??  It is near 1am and I am driving to Walmart now to get the ingredients and will cook it while I sleep    Thanks and will let you know how it comes out

BR

Quote from: husker71 on December 23, 2015, 12:55:45 am
what is the dry stuff on top of the veggies??   do you put the roast in and then the veggies on top then the pickles and butter  then the dry gravy and ranch??  It is near 1am and I am driving to Walmart now to get the ingredients and will cook it while I sleep    Thanks and will let you know how it comes out
It was the Au Jus Gravy mix

oldman1015

Quote from: husker71 on December 23, 2015, 12:55:45 am
that aint pickles.

husker71

cooking mine today  bought all the stuff before the store closed and I will plug it in in just a couple of minutes   In 8 hours I will let you know how mine came out but man if this is as good as I think it will be this could be my new easy go to meal   Thanks for the recipe guys

BR

Get some King Hawaiian Rolls to eat it on.... Freakin Awesome..

husker71

wow   really good and so easy    I am cooking another right now for games tonight   thanks for the recipe

BR

Quote from: husker71 on December 26, 2015, 01:26:03 pm
wow   really good and so easy    I am cooking another right now for games tonight   thanks for the recipe
That is what this page is for.... It use to be an awesome place for food...  Check out my other food page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/brstikibarfoodpage/

PharmacistHog

Quote from: BR on December 26, 2015, 04:20:02 pm
That is what this page is for.... It use to be an awesome place for food...  Check out my other food page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/brstikibarfoodpage/

Used to have a decent moderator........

Whatever happened to that guy?
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

BR

Quote from: PharmacistHog on December 26, 2015, 05:49:09 pm
Used to have a decent moderator........

Whatever happened to that guy?
Got fired...

PharmacistHog

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

BR

Hog_Swanson

Just put this on a couple hours ago.  Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on December 27, 2015, 12:22:58 pm
Just put this on a couple hours ago.  Can't wait to see how it turns out.
This was awesome.  The only things I would change are, Use half the butter and leave the celery out.  Everything else was great.  The dry ranch packet was a great idea.

DeltaBoy

I got a nice pork roast I going to try this with.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DeltaBoy

I used every thing BR showed except for the jar of peppers.    The girls went NUTS  We had it with mashed potatoes and used the drippings in the crock pot for our gravy.

Home run Idea BR Thanks for sharing.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 11, 2016, 11:25:21 am
I used every thing BR showed except for the jar of peppers.    The girls went NUTS  We had it with mashed potatoes and used the drippings in the crock pot for our gravy.

Next time sneak the pepper juice in.  That peppery vinegar really adds something special to it.

BR

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 11, 2016, 11:25:21 am

Then you didn't make it the right way... Also did you use Pork?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: BR on January 12, 2016, 07:37:00 am
  Then you didn't make it the right way... Also did you use Pork?

Yes I used a pork bone in Shoulder roast about 5 pounds. It still was GREAT!

DeltaBoy

Made it this weekend minus the Peppers cause the gals vetoed them.  Still turned out great.  Got a nice bone in Beef Roast on sale for $6:25 .

PorkRinds

I'll say this.  When I made this recipe, the butter was pretty pointless.  The roast has enough fat that the butter just made it overly fatty.

DeltaBoy

I only used a 1 inch pad on mine cause the Beef Roast had a nice side fat cap that I trimmed down and it turned out just fine, plus we made a nice batch of brown gravy with some of the left over liquid from the crock pot .

BR

Boarcephus

Quote from: BR on December 16, 2018, 11:42:38 am
This stuff is money

Glad you popped this back up to the top BR.  I'd heard about it but forgot where.  I'll try this in the very near future. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

oldman1015

Been smelling this all day. Put in the crockpot at 10:00

DeltaBoy

Time to make it again.

Hogwop

My roommates and I just got a pressure cooker, could this be cooked in that? I've been wanting to break it in and this sounds like a great recipe to try.

Any idea on how to do it in a pressure cooker would be greatly appreciated.
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

Hogwop

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 10, 2019, 06:30:39 pm
Don't most pressure cookers double as slow cookers?  Our Instant Pot says it does I believe....

I honestly don't know anything about them as this is the first one I've ever owned. It's an instant pot, but it hasn't even been opened yet. Thanks though, now I know I don't need to go buy a seperate slow cooker.
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

oldman1015

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 10, 2019, 06:01:55 pm
Post Dinner Report: Oh Wow!  Was this ever good!
It may be that I just haven't had a dish like this but I really liked the effect the pepperoncini peppers introduced.  The pepper taste really spread throughout the meat and seemed to create an array of complementary tastes even before eating a pepper in the same bite with the meat.  The gravy was spectacular too.  To be fair, I am sure this dish benefitted from the fact that we have done our standard pot roast more times than I can count so the variety factor is certainly working in this dish's favor. 

I should note we did NOT add potatoes or carrots to the roast while it was cooking, rather these were cooked on the side. 

The wife was not quite as enamored as I was with this dish as she thought the pepper / vinegar taste was too overpowering for her palate.  However, one take away I have from that observation is I could have purchased a larger roast and that may have helped spread the pepper / vinegar taste out a bit.  She did share the opinion this dish was worth trying again and that a few tweaks might help her like it more (she'd prefer about a 1/2 jar of the pepperoncini peppers and less juice from them as well). 

We both agreed we need to try this with a pork roast too - and possibly chicken......

BR - thanks again for posting this recipe and yet again, you've knocked it out of the park!
Last time my grocery store only had the deli sliced peppers. It made the pepper taste stronger so don't make that mistake.

DeltaBoy

Post Dinner Report: Oh Wow!  Was this ever good!
It may be that I just haven't had a dish like this but I really liked the effect the pepperoncini peppers introduced.  The pepper taste really spread throughout the meat and seemed to create an array of complementary tastes even before eating a pepper in the same bite with the meat.  The gravy was spectacular too.  To be fair, I am sure this dish benefitted from the fact that we have done our standard pot roast more times than I can count so the variety factor is certainly working in this dish's favor. 

I should note we did NOT add potatoes or carrots to the roast while it was cooking, rather these were cooked on the side. 

The wife was not quite as enamored as I was with this dish as she thought the pepper / vinegar taste was too overpowering for her palate.  However, one take away I have from that observation is I could have purchased a larger roast and that may have helped spread the pepper / vinegar taste out a bit.  She did share the opinion this dish was worth trying again and that a few tweaks might help her like it more (she'd prefer about a 1/2 jar of the pepperoncini peppers and less juice from them as well). 

We both agreed we need to try this with a pork roast too - and possibly chicken......

BR - thanks again for posting this recipe and yet again, you've knocked it out of the park!

I done it with a Pork roast and it will make a Puppy pull a Freight Train.

oldman1015

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 11, 2019, 08:46:23 am
Oldman105,

Out of curiosity, do you think the taste would have worked if you decreased the amount of deli peppers you added to your dish?

Maybe so but I loved it with the whole ones and will make sure I get them before I do it again.

Filthy_McSwine

Post Dinner Report:
The wife was not quite as enamored as I was with this dish as she thought the pepper / vinegar taste was too overpowering for her palate.

I think she's right.  We only use about 5-6 of the peppers on top and none of the juice.

DeltaBoy

DeltaBoy

Made it 2 weeks ago after finding some Greek Peppers for this dish. I used a 5 pound Chuck roast.

DeltaBoy

go hogues

Finally made this tonight. Wow, what a meal. Like other posters, I left out the butter but this was one great dish!
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

HogPharmer

Just showed this to the wife. She accidentally bought some pepperoncini's the other night and it reminded me of this. Gonna try it soon!
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

HogPharmer

Tried it out last night.... It was freaking awesome.

Had the leftovers today on a brioche bun for lunch.... It was even better today. I just told her that next time we make this, we need to make it the day before we plan on eating it. Probably the best roast I've ever had.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

oldman1015

Quote from: sevenof400 on August 03, 2019, 12:14:21 pm
Had company in this week and decided to serve up a Mississippi Mud Roast.  Outstanding again and enjoyed by all.

BUT - as we were about to drop the lid on the crock pot the wife observed there was still a good but of room in the pot - why not drop a couple of large chicken breasts in with the Mud Roast?

Oh boy - even better!  With the chicken sitting on top of the roast, the effect was something like a smoking effect.  The smoky and hint of vinegar tastes all made their way into and throughout the chicken.  We used a couple of chicken breasts from Sam's (to give you an idea of the size of the breasts). 

We did use a 2 3/4 lb roast with two very large chicken breasts, a bit more ranch (to adjust to the additional meat) and two Au Jus packets.  Everything else was pretty much added as the recipe called for.

Bottom line: I may want to try this same recipe with chicken instead of roast one day, but at the minimum I will always add a couple of chicken breasts to the pot in the future.

Good eating!   
Man that sounds good

DeltaBoy

PharmacistHog

Quote from: sevenof400 on September 08, 2019, 02:12:17 pm
So we're trying yet another variation on the Mud Roast today - this time Mud Sirloin.
Using the same ingredients otherwise (still doubling the Au Jus packets though) AND adding chicken breasts to the top of the pot. 
I'll be curious to sow how sirloin works in this dish in place of roast.
More to follow....

How did it come out?  I would tend to think sirloin being leaner wouldn't lend itself to the long cooking as well. 

oldman1015

Quote from: sevenof400 on September 11, 2019, 07:39:04 pm
Both the wife and I really liked this variation.  I'm wondering Pharm if perhaps the two (instead of one) Au Jus packets may have helped prevent a drying of the meat.  I should note that while we did not use all of the pepperocini juice, we did NOT drain much of it off (drained maybe less than 1/4 of the juice as the wife does not like so much peppery taste). 

Having said that, all meat (chicken and sirloin) was tender and easily cut with a fork (and not much effort at that).  The peppery / vinegar taste was enough to provide excellent flavor throughout all of the meats (trying to say the taste permeated throughout the meats...).  The leftover have been excellent as well and we've used the little bit of excess gravy and peppers on other dishes we've had since. 

I will definitely try this again.

Thanks for asking Pharm and let me know if you give this a try.  The variations we've tried on this dish have been very tasty!
Just did this last week now I have to try with sirloin. Thanks