Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Made this tonight and it's actually pretty good. Shakshuka....

Started by Boarcephus, November 22, 2015, 06:43:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarcephus

Saw a picture of it and been dying to try it.  Served it over rice.  If anyone is interested I'll post the recipe.  It's a North African dish I threw in some Chorizo to put some meat in it.  Spicy...
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Albert Einswine

Shakshuka is great stuff. Those Berbers have come up with some awesome dishes.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Boarcephus

Here you go....
In a cast iron skillet, add 3 TBS olive oil, 1 chopped onion, 1 diced poblano pepper and 1 stick of chorizo and cook till done.
When done, add one large can (26 oz?) of whole plum tomatoes and rough cut in the skillet and add 1 TBS minced garlic, 1 tsp cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper, a hand full of cilantro and salt to taste. 
Simmer till it thickens up, 10-15 minutes and add 6 oz feta cheese and gently crack 6 eggs into mixture.  Place in oven at 375 and cook till eggs set, 8-10 minutes.

The chorizo is pretty greasy so I spooned out what I could as it cooked.  This stuff would be great sat in the middle of the table and give everyone a spoon and a package of that hard toast (like the melba stuff) and ladle it on.  I've served it over rice because I brought if for lunch and didn't have any of the bread.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 23, 2015, 09:49:51 am
Here you go....
In a cast iron skillet, add 3 TBS olive oil, 1 chopped onion, 1 diced poblano pepper and 1 stick of chorizo and cook till done.
When done, add one large can (26 oz?) of whole plum tomatoes and rough cut in the skillet and add 1 TBS minced garlic, 1 tsp cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper, a hand full of cilantro and salt to taste. 
Simmer till it thickens up, 10-15 minutes and add 6 oz feta cheese and gently crack 6 eggs into mixture.  Place in oven at 375 and cook till eggs set, 8-10 minutes.

The chorizo is pretty greasy so I spooned out what I could as it cooked.  This stuff would be great sat in the middle of the table and give everyone a spoon and a package of that hard toast (like the melba stuff) and ladle it on.  I've served it over rice because I brought if for lunch and didn't have any of the bread.

Is it breakfast or what?  I love eggs, so this is right up my alley. 

Albert Einswine

A really good shortcut to a facsimile of shakshuka (which is also known as eggs in purgatory) is a can of hot Rotel drained and simmered in a skillet mixed with tomato sauce, with the eggs dropped in and cooked to the desired consistency.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Boarcephus

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 23, 2015, 10:50:52 am
Is it breakfast or what?  I love eggs, so this is right up my alley. 

I'm thinking this is good for whatever you want to make it.  When it first comes out of the oven it's perfect.  Good, gooey and spicy.  I could see it for any meal.

HawgWild

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 23, 2015, 09:49:51 am
Here you go....

So the original recipe was all this, minus the chorizo, right? Or, did you substitute the chorizo for another ingredient?

Grizzlyfan

Sounds like it would be great over grits or crispy hash browns for breakfast.

Boarcephus

Quote from: HawgWild on November 23, 2015, 11:34:58 am
So the original recipe was all this, minus the chorizo, right? Or, did you substitute the chorizo for another ingredient?

The only change I made in the recipe was adding the chorizo although the original recipe did call for a red bell pepper and I used the poblano. 

HawgWild

Thanks. Looks interesting, and tasty. Seems like there's lot's of different flavoring tweeks you can do to cook it. I'll have to give it a try. Need to come up with some "sopping" bread to serve it with.

Boarcephus

Quote from: HawgWild on November 23, 2015, 02:27:01 pm
Thanks. Looks interesting, and tasty. Seems like there's lot's of different flavoring tweeks you can do to cook it. I'll have to give it a try. Need to come up with some "sopping" bread to serve it with.

On a side note, this stuff is pretty cheap to make.  All you've got in it is a couple bucks for the tomatoes, same for the chorizo, feta and eggs.  Couple dollars for the onion and pepper.  You've got the spices and that's about it.  It's not like you're making gumbo and dropping $40 worth of seafood in it.  If you don't like it doesn't hurt as bad to toss it out!  ;)

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.