Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corned Beef

Started by Hog_Swanson, October 23, 2015, 03:04:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog_Swanson

I'm going to try and make some corned beef that I can slice, vacuum seal and freeze.  Any of you have any tips or recipes that you would like to share?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

old hog

Got this recipe back in the 90's and it turned out great.

25 ibs beef round or brisket
5 qts ice water
8 oz kosher salt
3 oz prague powder #1 (insta cure) sodium nitrate. Pink stuff
3 oz powdered dextrose
Garlic juice
Whole pickling spice. Kosher

Pack flesh to flesh with spices in between in a resealble container
Add brine until fully covered. Seal
Set in fridge for 3/4 days.
Smoke and enjoy.  I do not remember if I smoked it just a little
then cooked or finished it in the smoker. The ingredients were given
to me so not sure where to purchase. A good butcher would know.

pigture perfect

Let me know how this turns out. Corned beef is my favorite.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Hog_Swanson

I took a 2lbs brisket and cut a lot of the fat off.  I did leave some of it on.  Rubbed course salt all over, sprinkled half a bottle of pickling spice per side and garlic powder to taste. (I love garlic, so I used quite a bit.)

During my research, I found out that you make pastrami the same way.  You just smoke it instead of using the oven / crock pot.  I'll be smoking it this coming Saturday.  I'll take some pictures for all to see.  Can't wait.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.