Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

deer straps

Started by toshortrock, September 16, 2015, 01:27:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

toshortrock

can some of u guys tell me how u cook your deer,,,its getting close and i would like to try something different,,thanks
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

pigture perfect

I like to do stir-fry with it a lot of times.  With back strap/tenderloin if I don't inject and bacon wrap it, I deep fry usually.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

PharmacistHog

Clean em up good and cook over a really hot grill like a steak. Cook rare, slice thin, and serve immediately.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

I've made Phog's deer tenderloin using the technique he mentioned here, and it was absolutely fantastic.  My wife and kids loved it and they usually won't even eat deer.   

Donny2665

Here is a good way if you want tender tasty bites. I cut the Strap into medallions and wrapped them with bacon.
This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

Pigasaurus

The ones with the open tortillas look borderline erotic.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

DeltaBoy

That looks like some good eating.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ldfergu

What do u guys like to season with?

PharmacistHog

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on November 10, 2015, 02:36:03 pm
What do u guys like to season with?

Any good steak rub. Some of the coffee beef rubs are excellent with deer.

bulldog04

I've seen some recipes online where the tenderloin in wrapped in bacon and put in a roasting pan in the oven.  It sounds good.  I was wondering if anyone has tried it.  I usually fry mine.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: bulldog04 on December 26, 2015, 10:40:51 pm
I've seen some recipes online where the tenderloin in wrapped in bacon and put in a roasting pan in the oven.  It sounds good.  I was wondering if anyone has tried it.  I usually fry mine.

Theres nothing wtong with cooking them like that, but to me they simply taste like bacon. In my opinion, if you like deer, just eat deer. If you kinda like deer but not really, wrap it in bacon and it tastes like any other kinda meat wrapped in bacon.

If you go the bacon route, I would brush a little bbq sauce on them the last 5 minutes or so they are in the oven/on the grill.

Outoftownhog

How do you get rid of the  gamey taste

PorkRinds

Quote from: Outoftownhog on December 29, 2015, 08:39:24 pm
How do you get rid of the  gamey taste

Soak it in buttermilk or Italian dressing.