Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Official Hogville Annual Home Grown Mater Thread.

Started by LSUFan, April 26, 2015, 05:45:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PharmacistHog

My cherry tomatoes look great. Others look like hell. Im replanting tomorrow.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Boarcephus

Quote from: woodrow hog call on May 18, 2015, 07:32:27 pm
I made my own cages from the wire they use in concrete,
5 foot wide roll, cut off what you want for a circle.
Then cut the bottom strand off so you have 4 inch spikes around the circumference
Of the bottom to jab down into the ground.

Better than any I have bought or seen for sale.

Just looked on Lowes website, 150X5 foot roll for $107.00.
Probably about 4 feet per cage, depending on how big you want

That's exactly what I use.  Some of mine are 25 years old and still fine.  Nitron Industries in Johnson sells those things already made.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

Yep the 4x4 inch wire baskets I have are all made back in the 1980's.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HawgWild

First tomato of the season, a German Johnson. Eaten a few cherry maters already but I'm not counting those. The others are fixing to roll in!

Boarcephus

Quote from: HawgWild on June 03, 2015, 07:16:48 pm
First tomato of the season, a German Johnson. Eaten a few cherry maters already but I'm not counting those. The others are fixing to roll in!

You obviously don't live in nw Arkansas  ;)   What part of the country are you in?  My goal has always been to have tomatoes by the 4th of July and by the looks of things, that should be the case again this year.   I'm still waiting to see if my using newspapers as a disease barrier will work and stop that blight I get every year.  So far so good but it's way too early to tell.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

HawgWild

Central Arkansas, Conway. I started my seeds the weekend after Super Bowl Sunday. Looks like the Black Krim will be the next ones off the vine.

LSUFan

Quote from: HawgWild on June 03, 2015, 07:16:48 pm
Mine are starting to release the hormones to ripen.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

PharmacistHog

I've got some black cherry tomatoes that are starting to ripen.  My squash and zucchini plants have blooms all over.  My pink girls are almost dead.  Guess I'll be pulling those and going for a re-do. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

woodrow hog call

I think I have a brand new strain of tomatoes, I call them "Charlie Brown Christmas Tree Tomatoes".
The most pitiful looking little plants with a few withering leaves, and one miserable little tomato, hanging from one little limb.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

HawgWild

Oaxacan Jewel, Cherokee Purple and Black Krim.

LSUFan

Quote from: HawgWild on June 10, 2015, 07:27:09 am
Oaxacan Jewel, Cherokee Purple and Black Krim.
Headed your way!

In other news, one of my plants has the mites/bugs the burrow into the leaves and they look like little white tracks in the leaf.

HawgWild

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

LSUFan

Boarcephus

Mine are getting there.  My goal has always been to have some ripe by the 4th of July and looks like that will happen this year.  So far so good and my newspaper trick has so far kept the blight down.  Jury is still out but looking decent so far. 

HawgWild

1st Tomato Pie of the season (Paula Deen's recipe, with slight alterations by HawgWild)

Boarcephus

Quote from: HawgWild on June 13, 2015, 08:21:30 am
1st Tomato Pie of the season (Paula Deen's recipe, with slight alterations by HawgWild)

I like the looks of that.  How did you make it?

HawgWild

Tomato Pie
Recipe courtesy of Paula Deen

Ingredients
•   4 tomatoes, peeled and sliced (I use more. I used a lot of cherry tomatoes in this pie)
•   10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
•   1/2 cup chopped green onion (I use more.)
•   1 (9-inch) prebaked deep dish pie shell (Don't forget to bake the crust first.)
•   1 cup grated mozzarella
•   1 cup grated cheddar (I used Wal-Mart's shredded Colby/Monterey Jack cheese for this pie.)
•   1 cup mayonnaise
•   Salt and pepper
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the tomatoes in a colander in the sink in 1 layer. Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes.
Layer the tomato slices, basil, and onion in pie shell. Season with salt and pepper. Combine the grated cheeses and mayonnaise together. Spread mixture on top of the tomatoes and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.

To serve, cut into slices and serve warm. I add in some diced jalapeno or Serrano pepper to the tomatoes and the cheese to jack it up a little. Don't be shy in salting the tomatoes. It draws out a lot of juice, along with most of the salt, and keeps the pie from getting too runny. I let them drain closer to 20 minutes. I also dribble some balsamic reduction over the pie slice.

Boarcephus

Appreciate it.  When mine come in I like to take four or five of them, blanch and take skin off, quarter them throw them in a bowl with sliced red onions and pour olive oil and balsamic vinegar or just  drench them in Paul Newman's Family recipe Italian dressing and let them marinade for a day.  It's a cool refreshing addition to lunch.

HawgWild

First White Beauty of the season. These are my wife's favorite. About time for some BLTs!

LSUFan

Quote from: HawgWild on June 15, 2015, 12:00:16 pm
First White Beauty of the season. These are my wife's favorite. About time for some BLTs!
yum

HawgWild

First Garden Peach tomato. Originally from Peru. It's small and meaty and covered in a soft fuzz.

HawgWild

LSUFan

NotoRioUsHOG

Notorious

LSUFan

BR

My Garden looking great... This week we had some sunshine......
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: BR on June 20, 2015, 08:21:02 pm
My Garden looking great... This week we had some sunshine......
So you don't make mounds or raised rows?  I was always told to do that, but to be honest, I'm a little tired of making them. 

P.S. - I planted 18 maters and the squirrels got the few that actually set on.  Bad year for my garden.  Here's to 2016.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

PorkRinds

I don't know anyone that had a great garden this year.

Wildhog

I gorged myself on home-grown maters last night.  Delicious.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Boarcephus

I actually had a pretty good garden this year. My tomato plants caught the usual blight and I pulled about half of them but left the other half because they weren't totally dead and have actually gotten a late crop.  I've pulled 15-20 the last couple days and had my first bacon and tomato sandwich the other day.  I planted a Better Boy in a pot and will try to grow it in my sunroom this winter.  I've had it outside but will move it inside any day now to see what happens.

DeltaBoy

Dad Spring Garden got washed out but his fall one had done well.

PorkRinds

I just had a batch of fresh green beans from the garden.  They were fantastic.

Hog_Swanson

I guess I gave up on my garden too early.  I pulled mine up in early September.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on October 22, 2015, 03:01:37 pm
I guess I gave up on my garden too early.  I pulled mine up in early September.

My Folks trim the back a bit and most years you get a late Oct crop on till it Frost.