Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3 pin plug jumper cable question...

Started by gotyacovered, June 26, 2013, 11:07:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

i hangar at an AI/A&P-less field and need to charge a battery.

i have at my disposal a 24V charger and a set of aircraft jumper cables with the 3 pin adapter. this is not my plane and i do not want to take the cowling off.

can i hook up 3 pin to the plane-->aligator clip the jumper cables-->aligator clips on charger and get a charge, safely without tearing anything up?

if not, can i use my vehicle 12v to jump 24v plane? again, not my plane, dont want to tear anything up.
You are what you tolerate.

bvillepig

Gotya I would not Jump the 24v with a 12v.  It will probably cause a failure in the 12V.
It would depend on the charger. Most chargers are not set up to jump start the plane.
They do not produce enough start current unless specificly designed for that. How ever if you connect the charger to the battery and leave it for a time you should be able to get enough of a charge to start the plane.

Is it a timer version or a smart charger with automatic circutry.

It wont hurt to hook the charger up they way you spoke of. We use clips all the time to go from chargers to batteries and from our test benches to chargers.

RNC

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on June 26, 2013, 05:54:52 pm
Gotya I would not Jump the 24v with a 12v.  It will probably cause a failure in the 12V.
It would depend on the charger. Most chargers are not set up to jump start the plane.
They do not produce enough start current unless specificly designed for that. How ever if you connect the charger to the battery and leave it for a time you should be able to get enough of a charge to start the plane.

Is it a timer version or a smart charger with automatic circutry.

It wont hurt to hook the charger up they way you spoke of. We use clips all the time to go from chargers to batteries and from our test benches to chargers.

I have a 24v charger, was trying to avoid taking cowling/battery cover off... Turns out it looks like the ground receptacle does not allow charging... Ended up taking them off and hooking directly to battery. Buddy that moved to Illinois is coming to pick up his plane. He asked me to pull it out and crank her up... Master flip everything powers on normally, but nada.  I'm actually not too sure it's more of a starter issue than anything.

gotyacovered

Quote from: RNC on June 26, 2013, 08:02:31 pm
Use two cars!   Then you have 24v.

Actually was trying to figure out how to parallel two cars with two sets of jumper cables, then thought better of it ;D

gotyacovered

Btw... Nice too hear from ya bvillepig!

bvillepig

Thanks I read y'all every day and learn a lot.  I wish I had more to offer but enjoy reading .

You can take the two 12 volt batteries but you have to put them in series and not parallel.  I will try to dig up a diagram. Series will give you 24 . Parallel will still give you 12v   

You could also take 36 v golf cart with 6 6 volt batteries and jumper off from the 4th battery. The golf cart is already wired in series.

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on June 27, 2013, 12:10:26 am
Thanks I read y'all every day and learn a lot.  I wish I had more to offer but enjoy reading .

You can take the two 12 volt batteries but you have to put them in series and not parallel.  I will try to dig up a diagram. Series will give you 24 . Parallel will still give you 12v   

You could also take 36 v golf cart with 6 6 volt batteries and jumper off from the 4th battery. The golf cart is already wired in series.

dont worry about it, he is coming today so i proceeded with removing the cowl and hooking directly to battery;and yep, in series, thats what i meant. i think its negative to negative on the car, then positive to positive.... hmmm may need three set of jumper cables! maybe not... sounds like a good way to mess up some expensive items ;D