Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 avaition goals

Started by gotyacovered, January 05, 2012, 04:46:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on February 06, 2013, 07:50:40 pm
Pass Instrument Written,,,,,,,,, CHECK!  Got'r'done today! 

Congrats... I'm not too far behind you.... But I'm jealous.
You are what you tolerate.

bvillepig

GusMcRae

Had about 2.5 hours of duel this AM, most of which was under the hood.  Shot VOR and ILS approaches at DUC.  ILS at F05.  Also checked out a private strip near Lawton where a guy is in the process of building a hangar home.   

Bad news was my DG is going out, lagging behind.  So, need to pull it and have fixed or exhange it for a rebuilt. 

Also discovered a little glitch with my #2 radio (Garmin SL-30).  Keeps saying "communication lost" but then switches back as if it's not lost anymore, and displays the frequencies....  MDH, if you read this, do you have any idea what's up with that?  Short in the antenna wire perhaps?

More $$$$....... 

Dang!
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

GusMcRae

It worked out last Thurs for my CFI to go with me to pick up my son at Boerne, TX, so I got about 4.5 hours of duel hood time.  Shot GPS approach at 5C1, BWD (fuel stop).  It was dark by then, and he needed to pick up a plane at CWC, so I got night time duel hood time from BWD to CWC, and a GPS approach there.  Dropped him off and flew back to home base. 
That trip will move up getting my AP fixed to the top of my priority list. 
Not much fun flying 4.5 hours under the hood with no AP.  And that was all after putting in a pretty full day at the office.  Wore me out.  But it was nice to get the duel time on a trip I needed to make anyway.
I have a lot to learn about what all my 430 can do.  My CFI can make it stand on its head and do back flips.

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on April 01, 2013, 09:29:26 am
It worked out last Thurs for my CFI to go with me to pick up my son at Boerne, TX, so I got about 4.5 hours of duel hood time.  Shot GPS approach at 5C1, BWD (fuel stop).  It was dark by then, and he needed to pick up a plane at CWC, so I got night time duel hood time from BWD to CWC, and a GPS approach there.  Dropped him off and flew back to home base. 
That trip will move up getting my AP fixed to the top of my priority list. 
Not much fun flying 4.5 hours under the hood with no AP.  And that was all after putting in a pretty full day at the office.  Wore me out.  But it was nice to get the duel time on a trip I needed to make anyway.
I have a lot to learn about what all my 430 can do.  My CFI can make it stand on its head and do back flips.

yep, i flew right seat (so i had to look left for cross check) in solid IMC for 1.3 hours a few weeks ago. it was exhausting, plus i ended up with a crick i my neck. for me, when i get my IR and am not able to get 'on top' of the soup for a cross country i would consider it a no-go without a complete PAVE compliance. gotta be on your A game.

if you have 30 mins watch this video

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on April 01, 2013, 10:38:12 am
yep, i flew right seat (so i had to look left for cross check) in solid IMC for 1.3 hours a few weeks ago. it was exhausting, plus i ended up with a crick i my neck. for me, when i get my IR and am not able to get 'on top' of the soup for a cross country i would consider it a no-go without a complete PAVE compliance. gotta be on your A game.

if you have 30 mins watch this video

I looked at that PAVE info the other day on AOPA. 
I've also seen that video, I posted a topic on here after watching it, it's on page 3 titled "No Greater Burden", but I didn't provide the link.  It is worth the look.  Your heart goes out to that guy, you know a day doesn't go by that he doesn't beat himself up over it. 
I definitely feel the greater burden when I have passengers. 
My night trip last night was solo, along a familiar route, and I did find myself keeping the closest airport in my sights the entire way, and when there was a long stretch between airports, I had a plan of the best possible place for a forced landing.     

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on April 01, 2013, 11:08:49 am
I looked at that PAVE info the other day on AOPA. 
I've also seen that video, I posted a topic on here after watching it, it's on page 3 titled "No Greater Burden", but I didn't provide the link.  It is worth the look.  Your heart goes out to that guy, you know a day doesn't go by that he doesn't beat himself up over it. 
I definitely feel the greater burden when I have passengers. 
My night trip last night was solo, along a familiar route, and I did find myself keeping the closest airport in my sights the entire way, and when there was a long stretch between airports, I had a plan of the best possible place for a forced landing.     

its sobering to do that, but is very necessary. i promised myself the next couple times i am coming into land solo, i am going to do a power off emergency landing. i haven't done one in months.

last week, Monday late afternoon, i had to fly M18-KAGO-KPBF-M18:

-i had a bad day, deal on a house fell through, double house payments suck
-separated some ribs skiing and haven't been sleeping well
-mad at the wife
-computer crashed at the office, hadn't run a recent backup--completely stressed over the whole deal
-flight had some tight time frames
-nothing severe, but significant turbulence and high surface winds adding to comfort and stress levels.

blew right through my PAVE checklist, didnt even think about it.

Had two first time incidents that really disappointed myself:

1. out of M18 i didnt kick the wheel chock off--I've never done that before. just applied power until it ran over them--stupid, i was pushing in the throttle, confused, and it was over before i even realized what was going on.

2. from KAGO-KPBF (about 40 min flight) i go to turn my landing lights on per my checklist as i arrive into KPBF and when i look at the switch, i had never turned them off from my KAGO departure.

had i done my PAVE checklist i probably wouldn't have flown that day. or taken one of my pilot buddies with me. i think we overlook mental factors too much. Gus--i should be kicked in the jimmy for not watching that video when you posted. one of the questions my dad always asks me when we have some time to talk, is if i have failed myself, flying--in any way, lately. i told him the story above and he asked me to watch the video.

over the weekend i used my label maker and just made a simple PAVE sticker and put it on my instrument panel where it cannot be over looked.